-
AuthorContent
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2013
5:43 AM

Post #9484458

I don't know if this belongs in Gardening or Cooking, but I'm so happy and proud of my gardening efforts, I'll put it here. Last night before dinner, DH & I took a walk through the garden to see how things were doing after a terrible rainstorm Saturday night. He is just fascinated by the carrots I'm growing for the first time & started pulling some up to see how big they've gotten. Before you know it, I'm pulling up a few myself, and we have enough for dinner. Then I started admiring my onions that have started to bulb. DH: Pull one up to see how big it is. So I pulled on that was tennis ball sized. So now I've got this bunch of carrots and an onion and need to do something with them. Change of plans for dinner. I was planning on breaded pork chops with my home canned tomatoes & spaghetti. Sort of a veal parmesan, but with pork chops. Instead, I tried a technique a customer at my weekly farmer's market told me. She glazed some browned pork chops with the Habanero Gold Jelly that I sell & them finished them off in the oven. The onions was sliced & added to the pan. The carrots were scrubbed, chopped, no need to peel, & steamed with a little butter. Add to that the last of the frozen sweet corn from last year's garden and dinner was served.

I have to admit the plates looked rather pretty: Browned pork chops, very orangey carrots and golden corn. Everything was delicious!! And except for the pork chops, it all came from my garden even the habanero peppers in the jelly! I didn't realize this until everything was on the plates, but I had a great feeling of accomplishment. Sorry there were no pictures of anything, but we were really hungry.
Jo-Ann

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2013
6:18 AM

Post #9484513

You should be proud. That feeling of satisfaction is why I grow things to eat! That and the warm, secure glow when your basement pantry is stocked with jars in the fall.

I like living in a time when Kroger is down the street with produce from everywhere in the world so if the crops fail in one place but are ample somewhere else, not everyone there starves. Still, there's nothing like growing your own, or failing that, buying from the farm or orchard down the road.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2013
8:32 AM

Post #9484751

Very cool. I love that feeling!

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2013
8:51 AM

Post #9484799

Agreed! My husband and I are often amazed at how much of our very own is on our plates, summer and winter. A great feeling, for sure.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2013
10:12 AM

Post #9486066

Jomoncon,
You're living the dream!

To come home, harvest as much of dinner from the garden as possible, then sit down and give thanks for the bounty!

Congratulations on your "job well done!"

Linda

P.S. When I come home, I'm gonna look you up so I can see your garden in progress, ok?
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2013
2:06 PM

Post #9486293

Linda, I'd love to have you for a visit anytime you're in New Orleans. Drop me a d-mail whenever you're coming here.
Jo-Ann

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2013
2:39 PM

Post #9486334

It's always a great thrill for me to eat a meal that comes out of my garden (except any meat... so far). Congrats on yours!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2013
8:50 AM

Post #9487205

Congratulations, Jo-Ann.

You absolutely cannot get fresher, better tasting vegetables than those immediately harvested from a home garden.
LiseP
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2013
6:50 AM

Post #9498826

I enjoyed hearing about your dinner, Jo-Ann. Good on ya! And more to come. :-)

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2013
5:11 PM

Post #9499282

We bought some asparagus at the store, even though it was a bit old looking, because we love it. So, tonight I will cook it for awhile in a water bath, then I will pop the two from our garden in just long enough to heat through because that's all it will need. Then, we will divide our own between the two of us and share the rest of the store bought. Yes, you can tell the freshly picked ones even after it is cooked. I only wish we had lots more of this marvelous veggie.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America