Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Dinner from the Garden

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

I don't know if this belongs in Gardening or Cooking, but I'm so happy and proud of my gardening efforts, I'll put it here. Last night before dinner, DH & I took a walk through the garden to see how things were doing after a terrible rainstorm Saturday night. He is just fascinated by the carrots I'm growing for the first time & started pulling some up to see how big they've gotten. Before you know it, I'm pulling up a few myself, and we have enough for dinner. Then I started admiring my onions that have started to bulb. DH: Pull one up to see how big it is. So I pulled on that was tennis ball sized. So now I've got this bunch of carrots and an onion and need to do something with them. Change of plans for dinner. I was planning on breaded pork chops with my home canned tomatoes & spaghetti. Sort of a veal parmesan, but with pork chops. Instead, I tried a technique a customer at my weekly farmer's market told me. She glazed some browned pork chops with the Habanero Gold Jelly that I sell & them finished them off in the oven. The onions was sliced & added to the pan. The carrots were scrubbed, chopped, no need to peel, & steamed with a little butter. Add to that the last of the frozen sweet corn from last year's garden and dinner was served.

I have to admit the plates looked rather pretty: Browned pork chops, very orangey carrots and golden corn. Everything was delicious!! And except for the pork chops, it all came from my garden even the habanero peppers in the jelly! I didn't realize this until everything was on the plates, but I had a great feeling of accomplishment. Sorry there were no pictures of anything, but we were really hungry.
Jo-Ann

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

You should be proud. That feeling of satisfaction is why I grow things to eat! That and the warm, secure glow when your basement pantry is stocked with jars in the fall.

I like living in a time when Kroger is down the street with produce from everywhere in the world so if the crops fail in one place but are ample somewhere else, not everyone there starves. Still, there's nothing like growing your own, or failing that, buying from the farm or orchard down the road.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Very cool. I love that feeling!

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

Agreed! My husband and I are often amazed at how much of our very own is on our plates, summer and winter. A great feeling, for sure.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Jomoncon,
You're living the dream!

To come home, harvest as much of dinner from the garden as possible, then sit down and give thanks for the bounty!

Congratulations on your "job well done!"

Linda

P.S. When I come home, I'm gonna look you up so I can see your garden in progress, ok?

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

Linda, I'd love to have you for a visit anytime you're in New Orleans. Drop me a d-mail whenever you're coming here.
Jo-Ann

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

It's always a great thrill for me to eat a meal that comes out of my garden (except any meat... so far). Congrats on yours!

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Congratulations, Jo-Ann.

You absolutely cannot get fresher, better tasting vegetables than those immediately harvested from a home garden.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I enjoyed hearing about your dinner, Jo-Ann. Good on ya! And more to come. :-)

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

We bought some asparagus at the store, even though it was a bit old looking, because we love it. So, tonight I will cook it for awhile in a water bath, then I will pop the two from our garden in just long enough to heat through because that's all it will need. Then, we will divide our own between the two of us and share the rest of the store bought. Yes, you can tell the freshly picked ones even after it is cooked. I only wish we had lots more of this marvelous veggie.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.