Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Morning Glories: Tall seedling question

Communities > Forums > Morning Glories
bookmark
Forum: Morning GloriesReplies: 4, Views: 75
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2013
7:50 AM

Post #9484675

I need some help from the MG experts, please. I have sprouted some Heavenly Blue & Blue Tie Dye MG seeds inside. Because our temps keep going down close to freezing they have been inside & out many times. I put them out in the sun every day that it is warm enougn, then they sleep in the house at night. They seem to be quite sturdy but have long "legs"-2-3" stems. My question is that when I put them in the ground can they be planted up to the first leaves or will the stem rot? We have pretty constant winds here and I don't want them to get broken by the wind. Thanks in advance for any help- Jo in WA

Thumbnail by JoParrott
Click the image for an enlarged view.

patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2013
9:56 PM

Post #9488074

Jo, dont plant them that deep. I think they will rot. Since its a vine, you can wrap the over long stems around and around the base of your support, won't hurt a thing. Who cares how long the base of the vine is since your growing it for the lovely flowers and actually no one is going to know the stem got leggy after you wrap it several times. I do it all the time.
Just now saw your post by the way and welcome to the MG forum.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2013
10:43 PM

Post #9488087

Thanks, patootie- I will take your advice- Are they very sensitive to cold? Our temps are staying about 36-38 or 40 at night- 60s daytime.
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2013
9:13 AM

Post #9488517

Jo, if its getting that cold at night, they won't like it, preferring warm temps. I think we've had other MG enthusiasts growing in the Northwest who have problems growing in that cooler climate.. You could always grow a few in your
home where the temps would be more to their liking. If it warms up there to near 70's, they might grow and bloom just fine on the outside. I would keep carrying them in at night as long as the night time temps stay that cold.
Hold off planting in the ground, they don't like cold soil temps either, :-)
MGMan
Norfolk, VA

May 1, 2013
8:18 AM

Post #9504028

You can plant them deeper to encourage a stronger root system; if the soil is to soggy and cold, there is a chance for rot.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Morning Glories Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wild Morning Glory. poppysue 12 Feb 9, 2012 10:32 PM
Help! Teens making MG tea. ? getting high! help mingsmimi 5 Jul 18, 2009 4:33 PM
Now ain't that purdy?! (Morning Glory pic) Seedsower 48 Mar 9, 2007 10:29 AM
Ipomoea Seeds 101 QueenB 27 Nov 19, 2008 1:03 PM
Wild Potato Vine - Need help with pollenation KevinTernes 22 Aug 22, 2007 10:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America