Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TValdez
Kihei, HI

April 15, 2013
1:08 PM

Post #9485135

Is this a good or a bad bug? Also, I noticed the leaves were a little eaten. What could it be from and what should I do? thanks

Thumbnail by TValdez   Thumbnail by TValdez
Click an image for an enlarged view.

behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2013
7:03 PM

Post #9485418

It depends on what the bug is doing. If its eating your plant, I would call it a bad bug, & get rid of it.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2013
9:29 AM

Post #9485998

Looks like some cricket has been munching on the edges. I had similar damage and located this HUGE brown and yellow creature.

The brown spots look like sun scald...

And, those little flies are monsters. Blast them with the hose, regularly, or use sticky yellow traps to catch them.

You can make your own traps from yellow cardboard squares smeared with a nice, thick layer of petroleum jelly.

Linda
TValdez
Kihei, HI

April 18, 2013
8:17 PM

Post #9489165

thanks so much! Yes, I did see a cricket but I thought they were good and would eat the bad bugs, not eat my plant. And I have noticed more and more flies that look silvery...I'm gonna go and buy a fly trap! Thanks for the info!!!!
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 18, 2013
9:34 PM

Post #9489219

Crickets and most of their relatives (grasshoppers) are plant eaters. If they like the plant... and the plant grows slowly, or there are a lot of crickets/grasshoppers, they can strip it down to a skeleton.

You can trap such bugs like this:

Put some loosely rolled newspaper near the plants in the late afternoon, leave them overnight. Each morning, collect the rolls.
Many bugs like to hide during the day, and come out at night to eat. By collecting the rolls during the day you are removing the bugs that have entered them to hide through the day.
You can shake out the bugs where they will not do damage, and reset the rolls until they fall apart, or you can throw the rolls with the bugs inside in the garbage. Then set up some new rolls.

Idea: If you have a wild area of your garden you might want to turn the bugs loose there.
Then predators can feast, and increase in population. Then the predators may move into the vegetable garden and give you a hand with pest control.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America