Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: Questions about Dwarf Pomegranate Tree.

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 2, Views: 50
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LowBlow
Harrisonburg, VA

April 15, 2013
8:40 PM

Post #9485534

Hi, I just got this plant about a week ago and transplanted it into a new pot two days ago. Before transplanting, the leaves were really healthy and new growth was occurring. After transplanting into a bigger pot, the leaves started to wilt overnight (I see it when I wake up in the morning) so I try to give it water and after an hour or so in the sunlight, the leaves perk up again. Also, the top leaves (newly growth one from the original container) are starting to turn brown (in the picture, you can see the very top leaves browning near the edges) - I have stopped giving it water at this point and waking up later so I do not know if they still wilted. I have been reading around the internet to make sure what type of symptoms it may be showing.
Overall, the only symptoms that my plant can relate that I could find is either transplant shock or over watering. If you guys have any advice it would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Other information:
Temperature of room: 70-80 degrees
Sunlight: 4-6 hours of direct, 2-4 hours after of indirect
Water: Once every two days
Soil: Espoma's Cactus/Citrus Mix
I also placed gravel at the bottom of the pot to "Improve" drainage, but it also has holes at the bottom so I was unsure if that was really needed.

Thumbnail by LowBlow
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Cearbhaill
Russell, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2013
4:37 AM

Post #9485694

A tiny plant in a great big pot is very easy to overwater because the roots don't even begin to penetrate most of the soil. The wet soil just sits there keeping the whole thing soggy.
It would be best to repot it into a pot just one size larger than the pot it came in. You could try to water it very sparingly, but most folks can't manage that- we tend to kill them with kindness. Watering a small plant in a big pot every two days is way too often- you should be going more for once a week.

ETA:
Also, where ever you bought it may have provided much differing lighting conditions- likely not that much direct sun. It is best to keep them in indirect light initially and expose them to more and more light over a couple of weeks until you get them to the point of their permanent sun exposure. And I always keep newly repotted plants in indirect sun for at least a few days until they settle in.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2013 6:45 AM
LowBlow
Harrisonburg, VA

April 16, 2013
11:04 AM

Post #9486112

Thanks for the advice Cearbhaill. I will start watering it once a week because I always feel like the top of the soil tend to get dried easily, but I never really checked under where it is still moist. Somewhere on the internet I read that "giving it a good drink is better than a cup of kindness" so I was wondering if when I water it, I should water it so that it drips out of the holes at the bottom of the pot or just try to aim it so that it will fall near the roots of the plant?

Also, I am afraid of the roots rotting and since it just happened recently, I was wondering if it was possible that the roots have already rotted or if that is a long term affect?

Other Information:
The leaves at the bottom still seem very healthy and if I am not mistaken there are still new growth down there (That is just my assumption because I do not keep counting every leaves that sprout). The only affected part that I see are the top leaves that turned brown, but after not watering it for a day or two, I see that the condition has not spread onto other leaves.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America