Photo by Melody

Beginner Vegetables: Store bought cherry tomato plant - fruit has bad smell/taste

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 3, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
emilycrafting
Wedgefield, FL

April 16, 2013
5:03 AM

Post #9485717

About a month ago we bought a cherry tomato plant from the store that already had tons of green tomatoes on it. We planted it in our garden in Miracle Grow flower/vegetable soil and eagerly waited for the first tomatoes to ripen. Two weeks ago we picked the first ripe tomatoes to find that not only did they have an awful chemical-y smell, but they tasted just as bad, bland and chemical-y. Is it possible that the nursery the plant came from was using fertilizers/pesticides on the plant after it started to fruit that caused this awful smell and taste? Even a month later without using any pesticides or fertilizers the ripening tomatoes are still smelling and tasting bad. The one I picked this morning doesn't seem to smell quite as bad as the first ones we picked, but I'm not going to try tasting it! I'm afraid we might have to just pull out the plant and toss it!
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2013
6:45 AM

Post #9485814

I would take some of the tomatoes back to the store I bought the plant at, explain to the management and ask if they had had any other complaints.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2013
6:42 AM

Post #9487029

Did the tomato plant have a label? If so, does it say what the name of this particular variety is?

The taste of tomatoes is subjective. There are some tomatoes that I find have an awful taste, that others think are wonderful.

And then there are people, like my husband, who will eat anything you put in front of them! LOL
emilycrafting
Wedgefield, FL

April 20, 2013
4:31 AM

Post #9490450

The tomatoes seem to be tasting better now, although I can't say I'm impressed with this variety. Unfortunately the plant didn't come with a label, so I don't know what kind they are. The tomatoes didn't just taste bad, they tasted horrific!! I've had good tomatoes and bad tomatoes, but I never had a tomato I had to spit out! To be sure I won't be buying from that vendor again if the supplier is, as I suspect, using excessive amounts of pesticides!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America