Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: passion flower vine

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 3, Views: 23
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
marykwiley
Kansas City, MO

April 16, 2013
9:09 AM

Post #9485948

i bought this passion flower vine (incense) is it a annual or prennial do i need to bring it in at winter time
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2013
9:43 AM

Post #9486023

To make that decision, it would be helpful to know the species of your vine, its' botanical name. It is probably Passiflora _____. You'd need to fill in that blank to know. Then you can combine the hardiness info about the plant with the zone of your location to get the *likely* answer, whether or not the particular vine you have is hardy where you are. There are of course no guarantees in gardening except that you'll probably want to wash your hands when finished! I think you are in zone 5, but would recommend checking based on your ZIP code or by looking at a zone map. The Passifloras I know would not be hardy there, but doubtful I know all of them. One would know if it was expected to be hardy or not by the zone info of the plant, for examples... "to zone 7," or "zone 8 and above."

If your plant doesn't have a tag with the species info, you could put a picture of a flower, and pic of the leaves on "plant identification" forum to get some help figuring that out if you need it.

If your vine makes seeds, it may be easier to grow a new one from seeds than trying to keep one alive over winter, but certainly no harm in trying! Once you know what kind it is, people should be able to give you the best possible advice about how to try if determined your vine is not hardy where you are.
nelsoncastro
Victoria
Australia

April 17, 2013
10:58 PM

Post #9488092

Quoting:To make that decision, it would be helpful to know the species of your vine, its' botanical name. It is probably Passiflora _____. You'd need to fill in that blank to know. Then you can combine the hardiness info about the plant with the zone of your location to get the *likely* answer, whether or not the particular vine you have is hardy where you are. There are of course no guarantees in gardening except that you'll probably want to wash your hands when finished! I think you are in zone 5, but would recommend checking based on your ZIP code or by looking at a zone map. The Passifloras I know would not be hardy there, but doubtful I know all of them. One would know if it was expected to be hardy or not by the zone info of the plant, for examples... "to zone 7," or "zone 8 and above."

If your plant doesn't have a tag with the species info, you could put a picture of a flower, and pic of the leaves on "plant identification" forum to get some help figuring that out if you need it.

If your vine makes seeds, it may be easier to grow a new one from seeds than trying to keep one alive over winter, but certainly no harm in trying! Once you know what kind it is, people should be able to give you the best possible advice about how to try if determined your vine is not hardy where you are.

Couldn't agree more..
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 20, 2013
6:07 AM

Post #9490529

Passiflora 'Incense' is a perennial vine in most zones, and can take some pretty cold weather, but I am not sure how cold. I think I would protect it through the winter in your area, and hope.
If it is in a container, then bring that container inside, at least into a garage or covered patio.
If it is in the ground then a tarp of clear plastic and some Christmas lights can make the difference if it is just a few degrees cooler than it can handle.

You can find out what zone you are in by looking as USDA maps. If you are close to a dividing line assume you are in the colder area, just to be safe.
Many sites list plants according to what USDA zones they will survive in, so that info should be easy enough to find.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America