-
AuthorContent
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2013
2:32 PM

Post #9486326

I have one area in my garden that gets more shade then the other parts. The amount of shade changes as the angle of the sun changes. I'm looking for recommendations on what would benefit from the shade. I grow the usual veggies but some mite do better with the extra shade then others. It still gets sun but not as much. Any suggestions?

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2013
3:52 PM

Post #9486409

Pretty much any of the greens will do fine in semi-shade. You also might be able to extend your cool season veggies by a couple of weeks if they are getting shade when it starts to get hot.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2013
9:11 PM

Post #9486717

Thanks, I'm not sure which greens would grow here in the heat. The ones I've grown seem to also like the sun. I was thinking of a vine that could grow into the sun. Today I tried to really watch that area and it doesn't get shaded until mid afternoon. I wish I'd sowed the cukes there. I guess I could move a few..and see what happens.
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2013
3:55 AM

Post #9486817

My veggie garden has gotten more and more shaded as trees on the SE have grown. But I found that besides leafy things like lettuce, chinese cabbage, spinach, roach, kale, even cucumbers. beans, peas and cherry tomatoes still do pretty good there. But I have moved regular tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, broccoli to sunnier locations.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2013
4:40 AM

Post #9486847

I was more talking about spring/fall greens. In summer, I wouldn't think a little afternoon sun is a liability in your climate. It isn't in mine; my whole garden gets afternoon shade in the summer but it doesn't seem to bother anything.

Malabar spinach and New Zealand spinach -- neither of which are actually spinach) grow in the heat. Malabar spinach in particular is one tough, vigorous plant, but people seem to either love it or hate it. There's also vegetable amaranth, grown for the greens instead of the seeds.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2013
7:03 AM

Post #9487054

I have been investigating the possibility of growing Camellia sinensis - the tea plant - it should grow in your area and likes some shade.

[HYPERLINK@en.wikipedia.org]

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2013
7:29 AM

Post #9487105

What NicoleC said:

"Pretty much any of the greens will do fine in semi-shade. You also might be able to extend your cool season veggies by a couple of weeks if they are getting shade when it starts to get hot."

Uh, NOW would be the time to break out your TULLE (or other protective covering) because, while these veggies will do just fine in the semi-shade, they will also become targets for the aphids. My logic is, if the moth can't land on the leaves, she can't lay the eggs.

This won't stop all of them, mind you, but it will give your veggies a fighting chance to get to some harvesting size without becoming infested with aphids and other leaf-sucking vermin...

Additionally, if your shady area is breezy, the veggies will benefit from the air circulation on those very warm days. They don't seem to do as well in stagnant air...

Linda

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2013
11:13 AM

Post #9487352

Most aphids are wingless and flightless. They *can* attack from the air (if they are born with wings), but they usually lay eggs in the fall for overwintering so the newly hatched aphids can already be under your rowcover. Which explains why aphids seem to appear like magic. And then reproduce live larvae asexually all summer long.

*&$%! ants also farm them here.

The life cycles of the various aphid species is incredibly weird, and ample fodder for any number of sci-fi novels. Heck, some of them are even born pregnant.

HoneybeeNC - Have you been able to find a local source for Camellia sinensis? I'm looking for 4 plants and I'm really loathe to part with $25 plus shipping for plants I know will show up 5" tall with a single leaf on them.
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2013
12:08 PM

Post #9487420

marathon is a systemic that kills aphids. You can pride yourself on being chemical free and have aphids destroy all your hard work or you can put a tea spoon in each 12 in pot every 3 months and be aphid free.

Thumbnail by eweed   Thumbnail by eweed   Thumbnail by eweed   Thumbnail by eweed   Thumbnail by eweed
Click an image for an enlarged view.

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2013
6:45 PM

Post #9487919

Thanks for all the suggestions. Regular greens won't grow here in the summer, and it's only during the summer that this area is shaded.

This whole gardening area has shade that " moves" around. My main garden has shade in the afternoon and evening. I have noticed that my plants do much better when they have some shade. I put the cukes in an area that gets more shade bc I've read they do better. I'm thinking I mite put beans in this area. I think they will tolerate the shade.

I grow Malabar Spinach, and New Zeland Spinach but they seem to like the sun. Thanks for the link Bee I do grow Roselle for tea, but I'm really trying to stick with what I already have. Pumpkins, watermelon, other melon, Thai Pumpkin. Well, you get the picture. Lol I was thinking maybe a vine that could grow out of the shade.

I'm not worried right now about covering my plants with Tulle, with a chance of a freeze Friday morning blankets seem more likely. I need to get my stuff planted before I worry about the pests getting them. I've never had a problem with aphids. Spider Mites are a bigger issue and they can fit thru tulle. But it's supposed to be 36 in town so a good chance of a freeze here. It's been warm for 3 days but this cold weather is slowing down germination and the plants are growing so slow..

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2013
6:21 AM

Post #9488312

Nicole - although I have not purchased Camellia sinensis from this Company, I have bought other edible plants from them and they have always been healthy and productive.

http://ediblelandscaping.com/buyPlants.php

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2013
6:24 AM

Post #9488316

eweed - In my opinion, systemic pesticides should NEVER be used on edible plants for any reason!

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2013
9:26 AM

Post #9488541

I've purchased from them, too, Honeybee. I have some very tiny (but healthy) plants to show for a whole lot of money.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 18, 2013
9:44 AM

Post #9488557

I've had good success with this company: http://www.camforest.com/category_s/14.htm

I received nice, robust plants. Not inexpensive, but I was happy with what I received. I don't know about the shipping to your location.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2013
11:30 AM

Post #9488643

Thanks, Cville, that is a fairly nice looking plant, especially if that's a 4" container I see. They were on my short list of places to buy.

And yes, I struck out at the plant sale.

Sorry I seem to have hi-jacked this thread. If it helps, the tea camellias are going in a semi-shady spot.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2013
7:06 PM

Post #9489107

Lisa ~ just came across this interesting article and thought of you. http://www.growveg.com/growblogpost.aspx?id=264
It had some good ideas for me on how to maximize the lighting and types of plants chosen. Good luck but it will be an excercise in futility I am afraid.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2013
7:10 PM

Post #9489112

Thanks Pod, the area isn't always shady, it's just the shadiest part of the garden. I want to put stuff there that can handle the shade the best. But it gets more sun then shade.
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2013
9:43 PM

Post #9489225

honey Bee the first two pictures are hanging 12 inch pots. I grow my garden in the ground and am not bothered by aphids out there normally. Marathon is sold commercially for human use just saying

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2013
8:50 AM

Post #9504070

Just a quick update on the tea plants from Cam Forest -- these are the nicest mail order plants I've ever received. Some of the cheapest, too. I can't wait for my first cup of homegrown tea!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2013
9:03 AM

Post #9504093

Yay! Glad to hear that. I know I was very pleased with both of mine.

eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2013
7:17 PM

Post #9504778

This message was edited May 3, 2013 7:22 AM
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2013
8:36 PM

Post #9504884

I'm growing Roselle to make tea. I definately don't need any new plants, the more I watched that area it gets more sun then I thought. I put some bush beans there, we will see.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America