Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Recipes: food ideas for the hot summer

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 18, Views: 235
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2013
5:24 PM

Post #9486507

As I was about to have a nervous breakdown cooking dinner tonight, i thought, THATS IT. Im done cooking for the summer, standing over the stove, miserable, just sooo hot.
Besides salads and sandwhiches, does anyone have any ideas of things you can put together in the morning, put it in the fridge, and then just throw it in the oven right before dinner. I always have fresh vegetables cooked in the fridge, but the husband wants some meat. Ive never really done much with casseroles, but Im guessing thats what Im after. You all make such good sounding food, I was wondering what you have in your hip pocket for the summer??
Thanks

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2013
5:49 PM

Post #9486537

What about crock pot recipies? I love Skinnytaste.com for a lot of stuff. I also make a "Hamburger Salad". It is a hamburger, cooked however you like it, with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, cheddar cheese, croutons, and blue cheese dressing. Make the salad and then crumble the hamburger up on top. I will keep thinking...
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 16, 2013
6:39 PM

Post #9486573

Agree Crockpot - first night you'll have it hot ( like a rump roast ) then another night you can slice and make sandwiches. This would depend on your comfort level leaving crock on if you are not home

Cold ham - like a spiral.

Meatloaf is super quick in oven - you can prep night before ( make a few and freeze in loaf shape ) Later on slice for sandwiches

Cold chicken - can buy roasted from Costco or supermarket

I make a salmon on grill that takes 10 min. Right in a homemade tin foil pan with a wee bit lemon, dill, and butter and salt/pepper

Crab cakes super easy - mayo, mustard, wee bit breadcrumbs and bake 15min or so

Tuna salad with deviled eggs or pasta salad tossed with ham or tuna

Soft flour tortilla. Spread with thin layer of cream cheese. Ham, Swiss, shredded lettuce, chopped cukes, marinated tomato and roll up. Can use any cold cut and any cheese or slices of cold steak made ahead. ( this lends itself to a pork butt madein the crockpot and then shredded next day ( especially if you cook ahead and then day of eating -shred it and toss it with brown sugar and caramelize in very hot oven for few minutes. Even good on a bun with tomato.

Marinate shrimp in morning and grill in tinfoil pan that evening.

My thing is less the cooking but important to have one pot, no dirty stove top -- minimal to no cleanup. That is why I like the crockpot idea - I toss in sweet potato or whatever veggie in the pot and so no mess.

Let us know if you find something that really works.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2013 9:52 PM
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2013
8:45 AM

Post #9487201

Thanks for getting my mind going in a different direction. Salads, like the hamburger salad. Marinating some shrimp..very quick and yummy.

I do keep my crock pot in the laundry room...garage in the worst of the summer, and I make 2 chickens once or twice a week. Its amazing how much heat they put off. My husband loves chicken salad for lunch and I use the chicken for that. I love the broth and make a soup with that. I need to expand on that. I just hate washing that big heavy 'vessel'.

I would put a Stoffers lasagna in the microwave every night if I could get away with it. Fast, delish, no clean up. When Publix has the medium size for 3.99, you just cant beat it.

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 17, 2013
4:34 PM

Post #9487793

My crock pot doesn't put off heat. But the crock weighs a ton! It has slipped and broken and is big $$$ to replace too. Now I put a loth bottom of sink when washing it.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2013
5:00 PM

Post #9487828

Growing up in south Fl. we commonly had cold sliced meats and fish with fresh grilled, pickled or marinated veggies. Mom used to make slow cooked sirloin tip and that would be cold roast beef for a week or more. We also had omelets served with and without meats at room temp and prepared earlier in the day. The SO's penchant for meat can be gradually switched if you move slowly. I've done just that. Taco salads with beans and some sliced meat along with salsa, chips, cheese and a dairy topping will win him over.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 18, 2013
5:58 AM

Post #9488278

I made a rump roast in crock pot yesterday that was miserable !! Wha happened?? The meat was so dry...even tho there was plenty of gravy fixings. It is like the moisture didn't permeate the meat. This is not a new recipe. It cooked 9-9.5 hours ---- and so maybe a half hour short of regular time and I didn't lift the lid. The meat would not be swallowed -- yet it "shredded" when prodded with fork, what a waste. That thing cost me $25 bucks!

I am going to fix a quick clam sauce today and a salad and lick my wounds! (Or, maybe BLTs. )
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2013
6:26 AM

Post #9488319

Clam sauce is always good on wounds. lol
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2013
6:52 AM

Post #9488359

I made a turkey breast this week in the crock pot and it was beyond dry. The dogs were happy tho. I didnt cook it as long as the recipe, but it sure cooked WAY to long. Ive almost stopped cooking red meat at home. The stuff from the stores around here is awful. They have bred to much fat out of it. I dont need to eat it anyway, if I want it, there are a couple places to eat out in town to get my fix. I can also ruin pork like nobody's business. I stick strickly to pork tenderloin.

Clam sauce, yum.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 18, 2013
12:53 PM

Post #9488734

You are right...there was no fat in it. But rump roast is fairly non fatty so that didn't strike me as the issue.

GardenG - something else you can offer your honey is stuffed peppers. EASY, QUICK, no mess ( my deal breaker) and won't have you sweating at the stove. Not a heart killer either.
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2013
8:53 PM

Post #9490281

gardenglory, have you ever had Mexican shrimp cocktail? It's actually like a shrimp cocktail soup. Google it, and you will find many variations on the recipe--which is basically a spicy tomato liquid with boiled shrimp, avocado, cucumber--or whatever you like. Get a basic recipe and put your own spin on it. My Hispanic hairdresser gave me her version. I haven't tried it yet, but she uses tomato juice, shrimp cocktail sauce, tomato sauce and pico de gallo for the base and adds avocado, cucumber and shrimp. Serves it cold in a cocktail or parfait glass. She says do not use clamato juice. She is a great cook...I always do what she says for her recipes.
~ pen

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2013
1:15 PM

Post #9512082

MY GOODNESS! I JUST HIT THE SUMMERTIME MOTHER LODE!!!!

LOLOLOL!!!!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2013
4:54 AM

Post #9523581

We always like big salads in hot weather, with tuna or salmon thrown in for protein. Kidney beans or chick peas go well in those salads. Another great meal is tortellinis with pesto sauce. I like it room temperature or cold; you can make it in the morning and serve it for dinner. It doesn't have meat, though, so that might be a deal breaker for your DH. We also enjoy stuffed zucchini or eggplant. I save those big zucchinis (when the squash bugs don't ruin the plants) and split them lengthwise, remove some of the innards, and then stuff them with a mixture of chopped zucchini, tomatoes, ground meat (we prefer lamb), any other chopped veggies like peppers and onions and garlic, and breadcrumbs with grated cheese. You can prep it in the morning and then stick it in the oven forty-five minutes or so before you want to eat it. Or of course there's always ribs cooked in the crockpot, with baked beans as a side, or barbecued chicken or grilled fish.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2013
9:19 PM

Post #9531976

grilled cheese is always a yummy quick treat when you are in a hurry.

I like to take corn tortillas (which I am not supposed to eat lol allergic to corn...) and spread one with refried beans a sprinkle on cheese on it, and then put another on the top. Fry it in a little oil in a skillet and then turn it and brown the other side. Sometimes I cook it on low a little while w the lid over it to make sure it gets hot all the way through. This is YUMMY with homemade salsa- I could eat it until I couldn't fit through the door !
Stir-fry with minute rice or shepherds pie.
Pasta salads are also yummy and you can make them ahead.
Spaghetti and garlic bread doesn't take too much cooking either.

maccionoadha

maccionoadha
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2013
10:02 AM

Post #9547293

Here are a few recipes to try.

SHRIMP SATAY

2 garlic clove, crushed
6 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. sherry
2 red chili pepper, seeded & sliced (reserve 6 slices)
1/2 tsp. sea salt
12 jumbo or 24 medium shrimp, peeled & deveined
oil
rice, cooked

~ Thoroughly mix together garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar, sherry chili pepper and sea salt, except 3 slices of chili pepper; add shrimp and marinate for 2 hours.
~ Remove shrimp from the marinade, and set aside. Pour marinade into a microwave safe bowl and cook until it boils.
~ Thread the shrimp onto skewers, brush with oil and broil, basting with reserved marinade.
~ Serve on a bed of cooked rice, garnish with reserved chili pepper.

PULLED PORK

5 lbs. smoked pork shoulder(with or without the bone or fresh 5lb. Boston Butt plus 1 smoked ham hock.)
1/4 cup Hog Rub(recipe below)
3 tablespoons oil or butter
2 cups Cooking Sauce(recipe below)
1 cup Pork Sauce(recipe below)

Rub pork all over with the Hog Rub. Sear meat in oil or butter. Place in crock-pot; pour Cooking Sauce over meat, turn to coat. Cover and cook on high 5 1/2 hours. Remove meat from the bone and shred. Strain cooking liquid and return to Crockpot; add 1 cup of Pork Sauce to the cooking liquid and reheat; pour over meat and serve.

HOG RUB

1/2 cup ground black pepper
1/2 cup chili powder
1/2 maple sugar(or brown sugar)
1/4 cup coarse sea salt(or kosher salt)
4 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons cayenne powder

~ Combine all ingredients and store in air-tight container.

PORK SAUCE

1 cup water
1/2 cup hot sauce(I use Frank's)
2 teaspoons Hog Rub
2 cups cider vinegar
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
1/3 cup maple sugar(or brown sugar)
1/3 cup tomato ketchup(catsup)

~ Combine all ingredients and mix well. Store in air-tight, non-reactive, container in the refrigerator.

COOKING SAUCE

2 cups Pork Sauce
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth

~ Combine sauce and broth; mix well. Store in air-tight, non-reactive, container in refrigerator.

PULLED PORK

12 lb. boneless pork shoulder/Boston butt
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2/3 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup red wine
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tbsp. sea salt
2 tbsp. Italian seasoning blend
1 tbsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. dried sweet basil
2 tsp. dried minced onion
1 tsp. dried minced garlic
1 tsp. powdered garlic (can't have too much garlic... :-D )
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper

~ In a sauté pan heat the oil on medium setting; brown the pork on all sides. While browning the pork, mix the remaining ingredients for the cooking liquid in a non-reactive bowl.
~ Place the pork into the Crock-pot; pour the cooking liquid over the pork and cook for 18 hours on low.
~ Remove the meat from the Crock-pot. Pour the cooking liquid into saucepan and reduce the liquid to half it's volume. Shred the meat.
~ Place the meat back into the Crock-pot; pour the reduced cooking liquid over the meat and reheat the shredded pork on high for 15-20 minutes. Serves approx. 18

SPICY APPLE & ONION RIBS

12 country-style ribs
1/4 cup Hog Rub
3 tbsp. olive oil
2 medium onions, sliced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
3/4 cups apple juice or cider

Dry rub ribs and leave to marinate on the kitchen counter for one hour.

Brown ribs in a sauté pan, with olive oil, on the stove top.

While ribs brown, place the onions and crushed garlic in the bottom of the Crock-pot. Pour apple juice over the onions and garlic; place the browned ribs on top of onion/garlic mixture and set the Crock-pot on low. Cook them for ten to 12 hours.

SHEPARD'S PIE

1/2 lb. lamb, minced (225g)
1/2 lb. mutton, minced (225g)
1 1/2 lbs. potatoes (700g)
large onion, chopped
2 oz. mushrooms, sliced (50g)
bay leaf
2 carrots, diced
1 oz. flour (25g)
1 Tbsp. tomato puree
1 oz. butter (25g)
4 Tbsp milk
8 oz. lamb or beef stock (300ml)
2 oz. Cheddar cheese (50g)

Method:
Dry fry the mutton and lamb with the chopped onion, bay leaf, sliced mushrooms and diced carrots for 8-10 minutes. Add the flour and stir for a minute. Slowly blend in the stock and tomato puree. Cook, stirring, until the mixture thickens and boils. Cover and simmer gently for 25 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and place in a 1.7 litre (3 pint) ovenproof serving dish.

At the same time, cook the potatoes in boiling water for 20 minutes until tender. Drain well, mash with the butter and milk and mix well. Spread on top of the mince mixture and sprinkle over with the grated cheese.

Bake for 15-20 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 200C/400F (Gas Mark 6). Serve hot with green vegetables.

CHICKEN POT PIE( recipe from America's Test Kitchen)

1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts and/or thighs
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped fine (about 1 cup)
3 medium carrots, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 1 cup)
2 small celery ribs, chopped fine (about 1/2 cup)
Table salt and ground black pepper
10 ounces Shitake mushrooms, stems trimmed, caps wiped clean and sliced thin
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon tomato paste
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup whole milk
2 teaspoons juice from 1 lemon
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
3/4 cup frozen baby peas

CRUMBLE TOPPING

2 cups (10 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and chilled
1 ounce Parmesan cheese, finely grated (about 1/2 cup)
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream

Instructions

1. FOR THE CHICKEN: Bring chicken and broth to simmer in covered Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook until chicken is just done, 8 to 12 minutes. Transfer cooked chicken to large bowl. Pour broth through fine-mesh strainer into liquid measuring cup and reserve. Do not wash Dutch oven. Meanwhile, adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees.

2. FOR THE TOPPING: Combine flour, baking powder, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper in large bowl. Sprinkle butter pieces over top of flour. Using fingers, rub butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse cornmeal. Stir in Parmesan. Add cream and stir until just combined. Crumble mixture into irregularly shaped pieces ranging from 1/2 to ¾ inch each onto parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Bake until fragrant and starting to brown, 10 to 13 minutes. Set aside.

3. FOR THE FILLING: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in now-empty Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion, carrots, celery, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 5 to 7 minutes. While vegetables are cooking, shred chicken into small bite-size pieces. Transfer cooked vegetables to bowl with chicken; set aside.

4. Heat remaining tablespoon oil in empty Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add mushrooms; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms have released their juices, about 5 minutes. Remove cover and stir in soy sauce and tomato paste. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring frequently, until liquid has evaporated, mushrooms are well browned, and dark fond begins to form on surface of pan, about 5 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to bowl with chicken and vegetables. Set aside.

5. Heat butter in empty Dutch oven over medium heat. When foaming subsides, stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Slowly whisk in reserved chicken broth and milk. Bring to simmer, scraping pan bottom with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits, then continue to simmer until sauce fully thickens, about 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and 2 tablespoons parsley.

6. Stir chicken-vegetable mixture and peas into sauce. Pour mixture into 13 by 9-inch baking dish or casserole dish of similar size. Scatter crumble topping evenly over filling. Bake on rimmed baking sheet until filling is bubbling and topping is well browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining tablespoon parsley and serve.

CREOLE VEGETABLES & CHIICKEN

14½ oz no salt added tomatoes, diced
8 oz okra, cut
2 cups bell pepper, chopped
1 cup yellow onion, chopped
3/4 cup celery, sliced
1 cup no-sodium added, fat-free chicken broth
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
1 bay leaf
1 lb chicken tenders, cut into bite size pieces
3/4 tsp Creole seasoning
1½ tsp Stevia or another sugar substitute
1/4 cup fresh parsley or 1 tbsp dried, chopped
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Hot pepper sauce to taste
Non-stick cooking spray

1. Coat 3½ to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add tomatoes, okra, bell pepper, onion, celery, broth, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and bay leaf. Cover and cook on High 4½ hours or on Low 9 hours.
2. Place 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium high heat until hot. Coat skillet with cooking spray. Add chicken pieces and cook 6 minutes or until beginning to lightly brown, stirring frequently. Add to slow cooker with Creole seasoning, Stevia/sugar substitute, olive oil and hot sauce and cook on High 15 minutes to blend flavors. Stir in parsley just before serving. Makes 8 (3/4 cup) servings

SHRIMP & PEPPER KEBABS

1 lb medium raw shrimp, peeled
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp dried oregano
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
8 skewers, soak in water for 30 minutes

1. In a re-sealable bag, cumin, coriander, oregano and 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of olive oil; squeeze to mix. Add shrimp to the bag, reseal and turn to coat; refrigerate for 1 hour. Microwave pepper squares for 1 minute or until soft. Thread shrimp and peppers onto skewers; alternating between the two. Brush with the remaining oil.
2. Broil for 2½ to 3½ minutes on both sides or until shrimp are cooked and turn pink.

WHITE RICE

4 oz wild rice
2½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth

In a medium saucepan bring broth to a boil. Stir in rice, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 60 minutes. Remove from heat; drain excess broth and fluff with a fork.

SESAME BROCCOLI

2 cups broccoli florets
4 tbsp low-sodium vegetable broth
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
1½ tbsp toasted sesame seeds

Heat a medium nonstick pan on medium heat until warm. Add the broccoli and broth and sauté until florets are soft, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove the pan from heat and drizzle the broccoli with the sesame oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

SKILLET FISH & LEMON-TARRAGON GLAZE

2 tsp Olive oil
4 tsp lemon juice, divided
1/2 tsp lemon peel, grated
1/4 tsp prepared mustard (I like Nathan's or Dijon)
3/4 tsp fresh tarragon, chopped or 1/4 tsp dried tarragon
Non-stick cooking spray
2 (4 oz each) lean white fish fillets, rinsed and patted dry*
1/4 tsp paprika
* Cod, flounder, Halibut, Haddock, Orange Roughy, or Sole

1. Combine oil, teaspoons lemon juice, lemon peel, mustard, and tarragon in a small bowl. Blend well; set aside.
2. Coat a 12-inch non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Heat pan over medium heat until hot.
3. Drizzle fillets with remaining 2 teaspoons lemon juice. Sprinkle one side of each fillet with paprika. Place fillets in skillet, paprika side down, cook 3 minutes. Gently turn and cook 3 minutes longer or until opaque in center and flakes easily when tested with a fork. Place fillets on serving plates; top with oil mixture. Serve with steamed zucchini and carrot sticks. Makes 2 servings.

LEMON-POACHED HALIBUT

1/2 cup no-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
2 tbsp white grape or apple juice
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp dried rosemary leaves
1/2 tsp dried marjoram leaves
1/8 tsp black pepper
4 fresh or frozen(thawed) halibut steaks, 4 to 6 oz each
1/2 cup sliced green onions
Garnish: lemon wedges

1. Combine broth, grape/apple juice, lemon juice, rosemary, marjoram and black pepper in a large skillet. Bring to a boil over high heat. Place fish and onions in skillet and return to a boil. reduce heat, cover and simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily, when tested with a fork.
2. To serve: transfer fish to serving platter; place Sesame-Lemon Vegetables around fish and garnish with lemon wedges.

SESAME-LEMON VEGETABLES
1 cup no-sodium chicken broth
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1/8 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/2 lb green beans, cut into 2-inch lengths (about 2 cups)
2 cups carrots, thinly bias-sliced
1 cup cauliflower florets
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tbsp fresh oregano, snipped or 1 tsp dried, crushed
1 tbsp cold water
1½ tsp arrowroot powder or corn starch
1/2 tsp lemon peel, finely shredded
4 tsp lemon juice

1. In a large saucepan combine the broth, coriander, salt and black pepper; bring to a boil. Add the green beans; return to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 10 minutes. Add carrots, cauliflower and sweet pepper; return to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp.
2. Using a slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to serving bowl, reserving the broth mixture in saucepan. Cover the vegetables; keep warm.
3. In a small bowl combine oregano, water, arrowroot/cornstarch and lemon peel; stir into broth mixture in saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Stir in lemon juice. Pour thickened broth over vegetables. toss lightly to coat. Transfer to serving dish.

CHICKEN CUTLETS & VICTORY GRAVY

4 chicken cutlets
1/2 cup milk
3 tbsp flour
14½ oz low/no-sodium chicken broth
2 cups frozen broccoli florets, thawed
1 cup frozen peas & carrots, thawed
1 tbsp fresh chive, snipped (or 2 tbsp dried chives)
1/2 cup can (no-sodium added) diced tomato, drained
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped (or 2 tbsp dried parsley)
1/8 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
2 cups cooked bowtie pasta

1. Cook pasta according to package directions, but omitting salt and fat; set aside and keep warm.
2. Whisk together milk and flour in small bowl. Combine milk mixture and chicken broth in large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; add broccoli, peas & carrots. Simmer 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, chives, parsley, salt and pepper.
3. Heat oil in separate large skillet over medium heat until hot. Cook cutlets 2 to 2½ minutes on each side or until no longer pink in center. Serve with gravy and pasta. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Makes 4 servings.

PERSIAN CHICKEN CUTLETS & VEGETABLE RICE

3 tbsp lemon juice
4 tsp olive oil, divided
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp turmeric
4 chicken cutlets
2 cups low/no-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
2 tsp mustard
1 tsp honey
1½ cups peas & carrots

1. Combine lemon juice, 2 teaspoons oil, cinnamon, salt, pepper and turmeric in large zip-top food storage bag. Gently knead ingredients in bag to mix; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
2. Combine chicken broth, rice, mustard and honey in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered 15 minutes. Stir in peas & carrots. Cook, covered 5 minutes or until water is absorbed.
3. Remove chicken from bag and gently shake to remove excess marinade. Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in large skillet over medium heat until hot. Cook cutlets 2 to 2½ minutes on each side or until no longer pink in center. Makes 4 servings.

CREAMY TUNA & RICE

2½ cups steamed broccoli florets
4 cups cooked long-grain rice
12 oz tuna, drained and flaked
2 tbsp margarine
1/4 cup flour
1 cup evaporated skim milk
1/2 cup no/low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 200°F.
2. Combine broccoli and rice in medium ovenproof casserole. Add tuna; toss lightly to combine. Place casserole in oven.
3. Melt margarine in medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth paste forms. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly until smooth. Cook and stir 2 to 4 minutes or until mixture thickens. Add chicken broth; stir until mixture thicken again. Stir in Parmesan, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper, then remove from heat.
4. Remove casserole from oven and pour sauce over rice mixture; toss gently. Serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.

PORK & NOODLES

12 oz lean boneless pork, trimmed of fat and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
3 cups fresh/frozen broccoli, cauliflower and carrot blend
3 cups (4 oz) dried plain or curly noodles
1 can cream of celery soup, undiluted
1 cup low/no-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup water
1/4 tsp dried marjoram, crushed
1/4 tsp thyme, crushed
1/4 tsp black pepper

In 12-inch skillet with temperature set on medium-high, heat oil until hot. Add meat cook and stir for 3 to 4 minutes or until meat is slightly pink in the center.
Stir in vegetables, uncooked noodles, soup, chicken broth, water, marjoram, thyme and black pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or until noodles are tender, stirring occasionally. Makes 4 servings.

KITCHEN STEW

1 lb cooked ground meat or poultry (beef, pork, sausage, turkey, etc.)
28 oz plain stewed tomatoes
20 oz chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 cups fresh or frozen mixed vegetables
1 cup dry pasta (elbow, shells, wagon wheel...)
1 tsp dried Italian herb mix
2 cups water

Combine all ingredients in medium pot. Place on the stove on medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until pasta is cooked, about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on pasta size. Makes 4 servings.

Aquène(Peace),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo(SnowRabbit)
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Ahque Wunantash: Paskoogan / Pio nabo nequt / Nees muttanonganog kah nequt (Do Not Thou Forget: 9/11/2001)
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2013
10:04 AM

Post #9547298

WoW...Thanks!!!!

maccionoadha

maccionoadha
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2013
10:09 AM

Post #9547302

You're Welcome!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2013
11:40 AM

Post #9547425

DOUBLE thanks!

maccionoadha

maccionoadha
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2013
4:03 PM

Post #9592059

You're welcome. Here is another.

CHICKEN-VEGETABLE SALAD Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable

1¼ lb cooked chicken (any flavor of Perdue Short Cuts work well)
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup zucchini, chopped
1/3 cup carrot, chopped
2 tbsp sweet onion, chopped
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1/3 cup mayonnaise (you can sub. low fat or fat free)
1/4 cup sour cream (you can sub. low fat or fat free)
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
3 tomatoes, cut into wedges
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Lettuce leaves

~ Combine chicken,zucchini, carrot, onion and parsley in a large bowl.
~ Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Add to chicken mixture; mix well. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
~ Line plates with lettuce leaves; divide salad evenly among the plates. Surround with tomato wedges; sprinkle with almonds. Serves 8.

Aquène,
WaûtuckquesSóchepo
(\__/)
(=’.’=)
(“)__(“)

This message was edited Jul 8, 2013 6:20 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America