We will have a tech upgrade today between 1pm and 2pm EST.

What Kind of Babies?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm pretty sure I saw a Giant Swallowtail fluttering around my new (from Frostweed) Satsuma Orange tree a few days ago. The butterfly was a very pretty yellow with black spots. When I went out yesterday to water it, I noticed some eggs on it. Before doing anything, I want to be sure these are butterfly eggs. If so, do I need to let them be or should I bring them inside (meaning, take them to Sheila's house...LOL!) ?

Thumbnail by stephanietx
Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Stephanie, they sure look like giant swallowtail eggs, you could just let them hatch and hope nobody eats them in the meantime, or if Sheila will raise them for you that would be great.
That tree is in dire need of some good compost, it has been neglected for sometime.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

My plan is to transplant it into a larger container and give it a dose of good compost and some nutrients.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Stephanie, it sure looks like it could be a GST egg. Watch it and if it looks like this it is indeed a GST. And yes, I will raise it!

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I sure hope the poor thing doesn't get blown away today! These winds are horrible!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images