Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Persicaria (?) and a perennial shrubby pea ID

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Lupala
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2013
7:11 PM

Post #9486614

First plant is a ground cover for shade. It is just finishing blooming now (early spring start here). Leaves get a bit bigger. It ends up being about 6"-8" tall. Herbaceous. Clump forming (so far). Lady who bought it was told it was a native. I am not so sure, but I have been wrong before. Sorry the flowers aren't in close up - they are the classic persicaria bottle brushish flowers in white with dark pollen bearing thingies (anthers? stamens? I can never remember)

The second is a very nice and well behaved perennial pea. Very compact, very nice. I'm hoping the seed I saved will sprout. The picture doesn't show that it is a really nice delicate pink. I have never seen one so compact before. Maybe a compact form of lathyrus vernus? Just starting to flower now.

Any help would be awesome, as I have tried to find out online what they may be, but haven't really gotten anywhere useful.

Thumbnail by Lupala   Thumbnail by Lupala   Thumbnail by Lupala   Thumbnail by Lupala
Click an image for an enlarged view.

altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 16, 2013
7:26 PM

Post #9486631

Second is Lathyrus vernus ssp. gracilis.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2013 7:27 PM
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 16, 2013
8:20 PM

Post #9486676

The first one might be Bistorta bistortoides which is native to the west coast south of you in the alpine/subalpine zone.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2013 8:21 PM
Lupala
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 17, 2013
1:56 PM

Post #9487548

Thats definitely it for the pea. Thanks. I thought it might be a type of vernus but was having no luck...all the others were far too sprawly/leggy.

As for the other one - close but no cigar. Mine is much more compact. The flowers are on very short stems, leaves are fatter, and as I said - it has dark pollen thingies. However, I had totally forgotten that bistort is in that family, so it is giving me another avenue of options.
Lupala
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8b)

April 17, 2013
2:14 PM

Post #9487576

AHAH! Found it! It is bistorta tenuicaulis. Thanks for the assist altagardener - as I said - totally forgot about bistorts.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America