AuthorContent

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2013
6:21 AM

Post #9487001

This year I keep finding these little bugs that look like small grass hoppers.
They are brown and only 1/4" big.
I think they are making little holes in my eggplant leaves.
I have never seen them before.
Could anybody identify them, please?

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor
Click an image for an enlarged view.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2013
6:57 AM

Post #9487047

If it looks like a grasshopper, jumps like a grasshopper, and makes holes in plants like a grasshopper, It probably is a grasshopper.

Looks like a grasshopper to me, drthor.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2013
7:54 AM

Post #9487131

yes ... it jumps and makes holes.
any remedy? apart squish squish ...

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2013
8:38 AM

Post #9487195

I think birds must eat these critters because I see very few of them in our garden.

Perhaps someone else will have a remedy. I'm hopeless when it comes to bad-bug control because, for the most part, I leave it to Mother Nature. She seems to do a great job on everything but squash vine borers.

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

April 17, 2013
9:31 AM

Post #9487247

Maybe you could swish them all out and then cover the eggplants with a fine netting. Some people eat those things. Doesn't sound too good, but to each his own.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2013
10:10 AM

Post #9487291

Thanks Solace.
My Eggplants will get too big for cover.
I did plant them in a different area of my garden to run away from flee beetles ...
those funny little grasshoppers are a NEW thing to me ... I will watch them.
PermaCycle
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2013
7:20 PM

Post #9489119

DrThor, I have found a neem oil spray to be the best solution for grasshoppers, best used in a direct contact spray. After a few hours/days, they will have lost their appetite and you know the rest of the story. There is also a commercial grasshopper bait available that may be effective, but not as transparent as the neem oil. Here are two other plant derived pesticides that might help:

Mexican Marigold (Tagetes erecta) Leaves
Materials: Mexican marigold leaves; soap; boiling water; mortar and pestle; strainer; pail. Method of preparation: Pound leaves and soak in hot water. Let stand for 24 hours. Strain. Dilute the filtrate with water at a ratio of 1:2; add 1 tsp soap to every quart of the extract.Target pests: Ants, aphids, grasshoppers.

Ground Cloves
Cloves (Syzygium aromaticum) have long been known to repel insects, kill flying insects like grasshoppers, and make your garden smell great. They contain the active ingredient eugenol, which comprises 72-90% of the essential oil extracted from cloves and is the compound most responsible for the cloves' aroma. While the oil has great properties, it is also anti-microbial and should be avoided for horticultural purposes, to say nothing of being very expensive. Purchasing whole cloves in bulk is the better value. A pound can be purchased from online vendors for less than US$15.00 and will last forever in a moderately sized garden. To use whole cloves may require a grinder or mortise. Materials/Tools: Cloves, ground or bulk, a grinder, water, and sprayer. Method of preparation: Use 2-3 tablespoons of ground cloves per gallon of water or soak whole cloves in warm water (not boiling water) overnight; mix well. How to use: Spray infested plants with watering can or hand sprayer; otherwise, spray soil. Target pests: Flying and soft body insects. Effect on humans: Therapeutic. The oil should be avoided if pregnant or liver or kidney conditions are health issues. Effect on non-target organisms: Mild.

HTH

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2013
6:41 AM

Post #9489428

PermaCycle
thanks so much - what a great answer !

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America