Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: Amaryllis belladonna ( Naked Ladies)

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 2, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Hoffsj
Harrison, AR

April 17, 2013
7:08 AM

Post #9487062

I would like opinions from people about whether or not to grow Naked Ladies in large groups in a lawn. I don't want to put them in a bed, but I don't know if they would create a big mowing headache. I live in zone 6b.and have a very large yard. Anyone have experience with this?
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 18, 2013
7:45 AM

Post #9488427

I'm assuming you're familiar with how these grow.
(First the foliage emerges in the spring, forms rather dense masses of leaves, then turns yellow and dies back. In the summer, the TALL "naked" stems with the blooms emerge from where these large clumps of foliage had been.)

These Amaryllis form very large "colonies" as time goes on while they multiply.
Planting them in a lawn "would" create a mowing headache because if you're continually "mowing them" they're never going to bloom or produce foliage...so the question seems odd to me...unless you navigate your mower around every single one.

Some people plant Crocus varieties that are very low growing in lawns. These generally bloom in the spring as the grass is coming out of dormancy and are finished blooming long before the grass will need mowing. Regular mowing after that time won't hurt them because they've finished their cycle by then and then go dormant again until the following spring.

Also, these bulbs basically "thrive on neglect" and aren't fond of the regular irrigation most "lawns" would get...and probably wouldn't even bloom if watered on a year round basis. Around here, you see them in gardens that subsist basically on rainfall and/or little or no regular watering, and in areas of the yard/garden that are allowed to go "wild" vs. constant trimming, cultivation, etc.

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

April 18, 2013
3:07 PM

Post #9488832

These plant are really beautiful both when in flower AND when they are green (in leaf only) unless you have a lawn area that is NOT cut between May -Sept then it may be possible to grow them in a grass area, but my guidance was that these plants needed to grow in a weed free area and in a lawn situation, the grass would remove all the moisture, nutrients and air /light.

If you cut the lawn when the foliage is on the green then your cutting off the food source to the bulbs because when the foliage is turning yellow and dying down then this sends back into the bulb all the goodness it requires to send up the flowers, remember a bulb is really like the store cupboard that holds onto all the bulb needs to send up the new growth and in turn flowers so really, I would consider some other form of flowering bulbs to grow in the grass and select a type that will be past its seasonal show before it's the time to cut the grass / lawn.
Bulbs are not cheap when you require a large amount to try give enough of a show to naturalise in lawn areas and there are certainly far better types of bulbs for the job you require.

Hope this helps you out a bit to understand what these bulbs would be capable of doing.
Good luck, WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America