Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: GERMINATION DAYS & TEMPS to start VEGGIE SEEDS Chart

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 18, Views: 186
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2013
7:16 AM

Post #9487081

Thought this chart would be helpful to some of the newbies (and the oldies, LOL!)

http://cultivatorscorner.com/when-to-start-vegetable-seeds

Download to your computer, print in color, and laminate them back-to-back for a handy fingertip file!

Godspeed & Good Harvest!

Linda

This message was edited Apr 17, 2013 8:18 AM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2013
3:52 PM

Post #9488887

Nice... Thanks, Linda!
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2013
10:27 AM

Post #9489656

Gymgirl: I love the temperature guide you posted. There are the Big Numbers at the top of each group. Then posted are the min. & max. numbers. What does the Big Number at the top mean. I don't quiet understand reading the guide.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2013
11:01 AM

Post #9489673

Bee,
Here's the reply from the lady who made these charts. The question was, "Is this AIR temperature or soil/ground temperature??"

Katherine: The charts are based on AIR temperature. I use these guides for two basic purposes. Starting indoors and direct sowing in the garden:

If I'm starting seeds indoors, the cool temps in the ‘seed starter’ chart are mainly to help me know when I can start hardening things off and get them out of this tiny room. It also lets me know which plants can withstand what (air) temps, and how soon I can get them into a cold frame.

I check the historic weather data in the Farmers Almanac for temperature in my area, then count back the number of weeks indicated on the seed packet. I know it's not exact science, but it's a good estimate.

If I'm direct sowing in the garden, I look at the germination chart to estimate when, by (air) temperature, I can start sowing, and how long it will take before I see anything popping up. Even in the garden, I’ll build a hoop house over my raised beds. If the cold doesn't creep back in, rain and animals will still mess it all up.

I'm in a strange climate (Chicago Zone 5 – COLD and WINDY). Hot/cold until mid-May. Last spring's early heatwave followed by another colds nap did a number on so many things. Plus, much of our stuff is in pots, so we don’t have the advantage of much ground heat. Thank God PVC, Plastic Sheeting, and White Sheets (resale shop) are so cheap.

We're constantly running around building shelter for the little guys. Cold snaps, 100 mph winds, drought, 100 degree temps for weeks. and that was all just LAST YEAR. I'm still always in awe at how much these plants can withstand."

Hope this clears it up for you, Bee!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2013
11:46 AM

Post #9489710

Bee,
I'm gonna give this a stab, to see if I can get this for you. Let's look at an example:

On the Germination Chart, if it is 32° outside, and you sow lettuce seeds, it will take 49 days for your lettuce to peep. However, if is is 77° outside, and you sow seeds, it will take only TWO days for your lettuce to peep!

On the Seed Starter Chart (let's use the blue box): 35° is the minimum safe AIR temperature that those veggies listed can withstand outdoors. (This is how our lady would know when to put her seedlings outside in her cold frame). In that same blue box, lettuce will germinate in 3 days with 75° air temperature, and 85° is the maximum air temperature at which you should attempt to germinate the seeds.

I think this is how it goes...LOL!

Oh, and I believe that it doesn't matter that she grows in Zone 5 (Chicago), because her research for these charts was done based on the relationship between the seeds and the optimum/minimum air temperatures.

Linda
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2013
11:46 AM

Post #9489712

I see now. Thanks a lot. I plan on using this chart.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2013
11:58 AM

Post #9489720

I plan on using this chart, too!

But, something's not right. I believe that BIG number has to do with the minimum air temperature at which you should attempt to SOW seeds outdoors...

I can grow broccoli in my sleep, and I KNOW it can take a few hours of outdoor air temps down to just above freezing without damage...lemme review this, and I'll edit my post above.

Hugs!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2013
1:29 PM

Post #9489806

I allways thought that days-to-germinate or days-to-emerge depended only on soil temperature, not air temperature.

And soil temperature depends on dozens of things that vary from place to place: heaviness and wetness of soil, shade, southern exposure/northern exposure, lattitude / sun angle cloudiness etc etc .

For example, poorly drained very heavy clay soil that was partly shaded on a north slope and far north lattitude would stay cold (soil temperature) for a long time after daily air temperatures warmed up.

But a raised bed with sandy soil in full sun, south slope and southern lattidue would warm up as fast as median daily air temperatures or faster.

I wonder whether her charts are valid only for her region, or give relative guidance for other regions.

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2013
9:34 PM

Post #9490308

I have one that uses soil temp, LisaP posted it here a couple years ago. Does this say on it that it's air temps? I'm surprised that radishes like such high temps.
LiseP
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2013
5:26 PM

Post #9491168

Just saw this and looked up my original posting. Thanks for reminding me!
Anyway, here is that chart, for anyone that would like to use it:

http://tomclothier.hort.net/page11.html

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2013
5:28 PM

Post #9491171

Tom Clothier has the BEST seed starting info I've ever seen, IMO.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2013
11:04 PM

Post #9491472

That's it! Now I don't have to look for it. Lol I have a copy of it still. I'm still wondering why radishes germinate at such a high temp?
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2013
8:56 AM

Post #9491836

One can read the guide from Spring at 42 degrees to summer at l05. But also from Summer l05 degrees to winter at 42 degrees. So if one seeds radish at 95 in the summer, temperatures will go cooler to winter so they will grow in the cool fall. Thats the way I read the chart.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2013
8:28 PM

Post #9492609

I get that it's just funny to think they are a cool weather crop. But I guess we tweak it so they germinate but then taste better when grown cooler.
rootsnursery
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2013
6:55 AM

Post #9494233

hey guys, wow theres a lot of discussion on this one, I just found this thread now!

I've updated the charts and reposted them here:
http://rootsnursery.com/when-to-plant-vegetable-seeds

There were some inaccuracies on the old charts, plus a better explanation of how to use them.

Also theres a free downloads link on the site with more free stuff, garden layouts, checklists, nutrition charts...

Thumbnail by rootsnursery   Thumbnail by rootsnursery         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

RossRude13
Camarillo, CA

April 27, 2013
9:59 AM

Post #9498998

Thank you for this post. I will be printing this out!
CharlysGardenPl
Ferndale, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2013
12:34 AM

Post #9499452

Thanks so much for your information and the beautiful and simple colorful germination charts.
Great helper in the greenhouse and to keep with the seed scheduling!

This message was edited Apr 28, 2013 12:35 AM
Garden_Sass
Central, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2013
6:05 AM

Post #9508751

The seed germination charts I'm familiar with are based on SOIL TEMPERATURE - that's where the seeds go! I measure the soil temperature at mid-day, at planting depth, for 3-5 days then average the readings. This method is a little more fussy however demonstrates the process:
http://www.todayshomeowner.com/how-to-measure-soil-temperature-for-planting/

Otherwise I just follow the recommended planting time chart for my area, works just fine for me. One extra step is to SOAK the seed BEFORE planting in soil or starting indoors; this method promotes faster, more even germination since the first step is for the seed to absorb water. Some additional steps are required for hard coat seeds and those with germination inhibitors.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2013
7:15 PM

Post #9509796

Does this chart say if it is soil or air temp? I know there is a link above that is soil temps also. I printed it out the first time LisaP posted it and have been using it ever since. As of right now my soil is at the perfect temp to plant lettuce. I had older squash seeds they took forever to germinate, I thought it was due to their age, but they germinated in 3 days in the GH.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America