Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Seed Germination: Starting seeds in DE

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 5, Views: 56
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2013
11:29 AM

Post #9487367

I am feeling really dumb today- I have been following a thread about seed starting in DE, and have posted several times. Now when I want to post to it I can't find it.I have tried to find a history of my posts but no luck.
Anyway, I want to post this- it's not veggie related but I am sowing some Saponaria seeds. I have several plants around my yard and have discovered that they don't divide well since they have a single taproot. Last year I tried rooting cuttings with no success, so seeds are the only way I know.
Here are photos of the DE in a 32 cell flat (I cut circles of coffee filters to plug the holes) the 3rd one shows how fast the water wicks up. The seeds need light to germinate so I will just sprinkle them on after the surface is wet enough.
Off topic, but I posted a question 3 days ago to the Morning Glory forum and haven't had any response. I have some MGs that are getting very tall- about 3" from soil to 1st leaves. They have been in and out for several weeks now and it is still too cold to plant them outside. Will they be OK if I bury the bare stems or will they rot! They are strong but just tall. Thanks--

Thumbnail by JoParrott   Thumbnail by JoParrott   Thumbnail by JoParrott
Click an image for an enlarged view.

art33
Florissant, MO

April 18, 2013
8:50 AM

Post #9488495

Hi Jo,

That looks interesting, I'll have to give that DE (Diatomaceous Earth) a try sometime.

I've never grown Morning Glories so can't help with your question regarding them. I can however help with your lost thread :-) I think you're looking for this one (url below).

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1278689/

Art
Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2013
10:44 AM

Post #9488609

Hi Jo,

At first I thought you were talking about starting seeds in Delaware. There are some precautions relative to diatomaceous earth, particularly the non-food-grade.

http://www.naturalnews.com/030688_Diatomaceous_earth_health.html

In particular, notice that down on that page it says,

"IMPORTANT NOTES: Industrial grade diatomaceous earth, which has larger quantities of a highly crystallized form of silica, should never be inhaled due to possible health risks for the lungs. When using food grade diatomaceous earth externally, such as in the garden or on pets, it is probably a good idea to wear a dust mask and gloves. Breathing in too much food grade diatomaceous earth may irritate the mucus membranes in the nose and mouth and it may dry out your skin. Once the dust settles, it does not pose a threat. Diatomaceous earth can also dry out your skin."

If you are using non-food-grade diatomaceous earth, you should be particularly careful not to breath in any of the dust from it. Those sharp little points would not be good for your lungs and tracheal and bronchial tubes.

ZM
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2013
12:28 PM

Post #9488715

ZenMan, yes, I am familiar with all the precautions re: De. I have been involved in a lenfthy thread regarding an extensive project being done by a grower. on the Tomatoville.com website. There are many people who are having great seed germination with DE.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2013
12:32 PM

Post #9488720

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=22329 here's the Tomatoville link if anyone is interested-
art33
Florissant, MO

April 18, 2013
1:27 PM

Post #9488760

Thanks Zen_Man,

Think I'll just forget about DE !

Art

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America