AuthorContent

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 17, 2013
7:43 PM

Post #9487978

This thread's starting to look like the Rocky movie saga... LOL... But let's keep it going, there has been some good information contained herein...

Continuation link will be set up shortly...

Kevin
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2013
10:26 AM

Post #9488598

I gave my onions their last fertilizing for the year as they are really starting to look fat--but not bulbing yet. It is raining cats and dogs here so the fertilized should sink in nicely. Many of the onions have ten leaves on them but no lucky 13's right now. They probably won't get the ultimate 13 as I received my shipment late this year, but they still look nice and healthy!

I planted out the rest of my sweet corn bed this past weekend, and the watermelon/melon bed. Now I need to find room for my pepper and eggplant transplants.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2013
11:44 AM

Post #9488661

It's supposed to get in the 30s tonight, but from here on out the temps are low but not near freezing. This weekend I hope to get a lot of transplanting done. The Eggplant and peppers are going to wait until it gets warmer.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2013
12:21 PM

Post #9488708

My indoor eggplants have leaves that are a full 10" long, and both they and the bell peppers are setting blooms (again, in the case of the peppers...).

The outdoor eggplants shot up to 8" almost overnight, with the 3 days in the high 80s we just had. Tonight's going down to 40...

My onions are bulbing slowly, and are back to leaning over in the Earthboxes. They need a feeding this weekend...

I have tomatoes on all the vines, and most are cherry tomato or tangerine size. Most of them are Mule Team or Kimberly varieties. One looked like it was blushing on the underside, and no sign of BER on any, PRAISE GOD! First time no BER!!!

I'll have to remember that I forgot to mix the Dolomite into the new soil when I topped the beds. I made "wells" in the soil over the roots of each plant, sprinkled the Dolomite in each well and watered it in from the top. It looked like milky cream in a pool, but, it soaked into the soil right over where the root balls were...I might do another application of Dolomite lime this weekend, just to be sure...

Mustard & beet greens holding on, spinach finally took off, and the carrots are getting fatter and fatter.

Still have two empty raised beds waiting to be seeded with something, ANYthing... Not too unhappy they're empty, with the crazy weather and all...hoping the buggies will bypass my yard for one that's up and running nearby, LOL. And, I can start later without all the munching going on.

P.S. I encountered a bug yesterday I've never seen before, caught up in the tulle. It was flat like a wooden toothpick, and about as wide. About 1/4" long. 2/3 of its flat body was black, and the head was a dull orange color with two little curvy antennae. Anybody know what this might be? I smashed it before I took a picture...

Thanks!

Linda

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 18, 2013
1:58 PM

Post #9488786

Have given up on my peppers & eggplant also. With the impending trip, and these cold & erratic temperatures, I've just chucked the whole season. Talked with a couple people I've given tomato plants to and they say they are looking real good, so at least somebody's having success.

I do actually have some blooms on the Cherokee Purple & Aunt Ruby's German Green has just shown several of them. Going to be upset since they won't re ready before I have to leave for Florida. Would love to take it with me but it doesn't look like there is going to be room.

The only thing I've got left in seed trays is some Red Okra, so maybe I'll have some more okra to give away.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2013
2:54 PM

Post #9488823

Looking at the long range forecast, middle of next week we are going to be in the 40's for a while. This has been a pretty frustrating spring so far.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2013
6:32 PM

Post #9489073

[quote] P.S. I encountered a bug yesterday I've never seen before, caught up in the tulle. It was flat like a wooden toothpick, and about as wide. About 1/4" long. 2/3 of its flat body was black, and the head was a dull orange color with two little curvy antennae. Anybody know what this might be? I smashed it before I took a picture...
[/quote]

Linda ~ look at the larva on this link and see if that is what you squished.
http://www.everything-ladybug.com/ladybug-life-cycle.html

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2013
9:24 PM

Post #9489209

Thx Pod,
But that's not it. HoneybeeNC taught me all about ladybug instars! I have a herd that's safe and sound!

I'm gonna Google n c f I can spot it.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2013
6:21 AM

Post #9489387

Gymgirl - the only insect I can think of from your description would be a "stick insect" but I think they are much longer. Maybe it was a baby stick insect?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2013
6:32 AM

Post #9489404

It will be nice to see some picture ... any pictures of all the vegetables you are growing outside?
It is hard to believe that spinach "finally took off" now ... or do you mean that they are bolting? ... just like mine.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2013
7:35 AM

Post #9489485

Nope, they "finally took off" and are growing.

Given, I have not yet found out what's munching holes in them, they have grown twice as large as they were. It's the cold. I was expecting them to go ahead and bolt, but, our weather was down to 40 this morning, and after this weekend, we're expecting temps down to 42 next week. All I need is 55 days of moderately cool temps to bring in a spinach harvest.

So, now, it's a game to see who wins -- the weather, or that elusive bug muncher!

I'll take some pics this weekend. One of the advantages I have is the natural wind currents that constantly blow through my yard. The beet greens stay perky because of the steady wind blowing through the leaves, and when the temps drop at night, it's a cool breeze.

I have Marty's broccoli plants indoors under lights, and am trying to decide where I can grow them that won't be too warm. Last season, I grew broccoli in my eBuckets along the west fenceline. It gets bright light, but not direct sunshine and, again, there's an almost fierce wind tunnel along that fence.

I'm thinking that, if all else fails, I might actually be on my way to an early fall crop, LOL!

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2013
8:06 AM

Post #9489524

Here's what I have going on. Mostly just greens and garlic and herbs. (And a feverfew plant up front getting ready to take over the world.)

Thumbnail by NicoleC
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2013
9:39 AM

Post #9489612

NicoleC,
That's a great veggie garden you have there! Couple of questions:
1. Are your boxes angled for leveling, or to have a deep and a shallow end for growing different things?

2. What size pvc pipes are you using, and how are they anchored in the boxes? Just braced up against the sides, or do you have pipe clamps affixed inside the boxes?

I wish I was brave enough to cover my grass like you did...

Linda

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2013
11:28 AM

Post #9489693

Linda,

1) My land is sloped, so the boxes are recessed on one end to have a flat(ish) growing space. It doesn't really show in the pic, but in parts it drops 12" for every 10 feet, which is enough to make your melons roll downhill. :)

2) The PVC hoops are 1/2" ID. In the ground are sockets of 1" ID PVC that go down about 18" so they are very secure. The hoops can come in and out easily and can be reconfigured as needed. While in theory they are for frost protection or shade, I get the most mileage out of them as a way to hold down trellis' and tomato cages to keep them from blowing over when it's windy! One downside: the sockets hold water which the snails like... but the birds are learning to check in the holes. :)

I didn't really just cover the grass. The first summer I was here I tilled up lawn. That winter I built half the boxes and the next year tried to cover the pathways with mulch. Well, not only did the mulch vanish every few weeks, it was an ideal haven for slugs and snails and weeds. So I repeatedly dug out and killed weeds and last spring I put down the heavy duty nursery fabric and started killing off the weeds and grass in the area marked for a garden extension. This winter I put in the other half of the garden.

I do get weeds around the edges and poking up through the cloth, so weeding isn't eliminated, but it's easier to manage and is great to walk on compared to 12" of matted straw or pine needles. I am hoping it lasts for at least 5 years, but I've already recouped my costs versus continually buying replacement mulch when it can't be had for free. I have a good bit of of my original 300' roll left for patches, too.

Thumbnail by NicoleC

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2013
1:06 PM

Post #9489777

Thanks, Nicole!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2013
3:34 PM

Post #9489946

NicoleC
you have a fantastic vegetable garden set up. Thanks for the picture.
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2013
4:39 PM

Post #9490010

It was a chilly, wet, dreary day in New Orleans. I realize now that it's 6:30 in the evening & I haven't been in the garden once today.
Jo-Ann

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2013
8:20 PM

Post #9490253

It was in the upper 30s last night. I just didn't have the energy to get out and cover the plants in the garden. They all survived and are doing well.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2013
9:05 PM

Post #9490287

Mine are covered from last night but I'm going to start to plant this weekend. I'm tired of this weather. Lol the stuff I do have planted is growing so slow.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2013
5:12 AM

Post #9490478

yesterday I was enjoying my front garden and I spotted a LEAFFOTTED BUG laying on one of my Sunflowers leaf !!
Squeessshhhh
I cannot believe they are already here ... ohhhhh
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2013
5:28 AM

Post #9490494

And I just planted the majority of my sunflowers, cucumbers and squash yesterday! I did plant a half dozen sunflowers earlier. One is looking great, two look fair, the others not so good.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2013
5:37 AM

Post #9490504

I harvested my first cucumber from Corinto plant.
Also I keep harvesting greens and onions.
Artichokes are making a bulb, finally.

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2013
5:42 AM

Post #9490509

Cucumbers and eggplants are growing well. Peppers are making fruits.
This Sunday I will transplant out everything: more cucumbers, watermelon, okra and long beans.
I am so tired this year ... in and out of the house ... ahhh
I am leaving in a week, so everything must be planted outside !

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2013
6:54 AM

Post #9490589

We had some late, patchy frost here last night so I feel justified in having held off on planting, and with temps in the 40's at night for the next week I guess I'll keep waiting.

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

April 20, 2013
11:11 AM

Post #9490847

after the recent rains, tiny black worms I've never seen before are chewing holes in my maters and chard. Any ideas what they are, and what to do with them before they eat everything? I found a few brown wooly ones too, but they're easier to see, and not as prolific.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9490931

Yes, I did have those fluffy caterpillar last year too in my Swiss Chard and other flowers. I just squeeze them when I can (just don't touch them with your hands)
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2013
4:36 PM

Post #9491113

I got my first bed of corn planted today. I'm trying Honey n' pearl in one bed and will plant some Bicolor Mirai in 2 weeks. The onions are bulging up, both the Texas Supersweets & the Creole reds. I'm starting to get peppers & have lots of small tomatoes. I think I'll have an over abundance of zucchini & summer squash (again). I may have accidentally hit the long beans with glyphosate earlier this week. If so, I have plenty of time to replant. Everything is in the ground now, except for okra, which really needs warmer weather. All in all, a good week.
Jo-Ann

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2013
6:50 PM

Post #9491278

I replanted cucumber seedlings and finished securing my tomato cages. Still have yellow squash seedlings to transplant tomorrow. I hope to get some green beans planted tomorrow. I'm still far behind the curve on everything, still!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2013
7:41 PM

Post #9491369

Nichole, I'm with you we got into the 30s last night and the 40s are in the forecast. The plants I have out aren't thriving. I feel justified for waiting too. The plants in the GH look better then the ones in the garden.
I just don't know if I'll ever catch up now tho.

My squash and cukes that I direct seeded, don't look as good as the ones started in the GH almost 2 weeks later.

I'm going to try to spend most of tomorrow outside gardening. I have some eggplants that are beautiful, I'm afraid to put them outside.

David, what happened to your cukes? With this weather how could you be on time?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2013
7:43 PM

Post #9491375

My Texas Legend onions are starting to get nice and fat and showing signs of bulbing!!

Thumbnail by stephanietx

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2013
10:48 PM

Post #9491470

When did you plant your onions?
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2013
6:07 AM

Post #9491610

stephanietx, your onions look like about the same as mine. I planted on 01/13, and have been fertilizing every 2 weeks with blood meal. I checked the Dixondale site, and it says to stop fertilizing when bulbing starts, so I've stopped. I calculate that they've been in the ground 98 days.

Those Texas Legends are delicious! My DH pulled one about a week ago to "see how big it is" so of course we had to eat it. It was about a little larger than a tennis ball. It was so sweet and tender! We also pulled one of the belle reds and it was great also!
Jo-Ann

This message was edited Apr 21, 2013 7:11 AM

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2013
7:26 AM

Post #9491728

Lisa, I planted on 2/3 following the directions from Dixondale. We've been side dressing with fertilizer from Dixondale every 2 weeks and then sometimes I've tossed some bone meal on them in the weeks we didn't fertilize. I must say, though, that these onions were much bigger in diameter than the short day sampler we also planted.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2013
4:30 PM

Post #9492277

Peacevine Cherry tomato will be the first tomato of 2013 .. .it is starting to turn red.
First time growing this variety. It is so robust and full of fruits. So far the best in the garden this year.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2013
4:32 PM

Post #9492279

#1 Amy's Sugar Gem
#2 Black Cherry
#3 Black Plum (stunning plant - I found this plant bent in half ... repaired with scotch tape and now is a gorgeous plant)
#4 Black Zebra
#5 Blond Kopfchen

This message was edited Apr 21, 2013 5:33 PM

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2013
4:34 PM

Post #9492281

I went to a RU today and come home with 2 more tomatoes. Just call me crazy.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2013

Post #9492282

#1 Chocolate cherry
#2 Coyote
#3 Gold Nugget
#4 Golden Gem
#5 Grappoli d'Inverno

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

April 21, 2013

Post #9492283

Wonderful tomatoes! Great idea with the scotch tape...I had thought of doing that on one of my corn plants with which a kitty played, and now I know it works. Thanks.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2013

Post #9492286

stephanietx
you cannot ever have enough tomatoes ...
#1 Jaune Flamme
#2-3 Juliet
#4 Lollipop
#5 Red Fig

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2013
4:38 PM

Post #9492289

#1 Sweet Million
#2-3-4 Tigerella
#5 some tomato plants. They are still so small compare to the previous years !!

Now they need to slow down production because I will be gone until mid May ... ahhh

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2013
1:26 PM

Post #9493371

Corn is peeking up!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2013
1:40 PM

Post #9493393

Why does your Avatar remind me so much of Alfred Hitchcock?

LOL!

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

April 22, 2013
3:50 PM

Post #9493583

The Birds!! Run!

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2013
5:26 PM

Post #9493710

Ha!

A couple of years ago we visited the Chattanooga Aquarium, and this starling, who I doubt was an official exhibit in the rainforest with the parrots, was yacking up a storm having a very loud "conversation" with everyone who went by. Unfortunately, he wasn't speaking human or else his accent was really bad. (Starlings can mimic human language and even have some sense of the grammar involved, although just how much is the subject of much study.)

I suspect he was saying "Help! I got trapped in here a few weeks ago and I can't get out!"

I know they are an invasive pest, but they are pretty. Anyway, that icon is me talking too much. :)

Thumbnail by NicoleC

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2013
8:08 PM

Post #9493909

I was thinking Poe and the Raven. Didn't think you posted a picture of "yourself" that's funny.
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2013
10:10 AM

Post #9494429

[quote="NicoleC"]We had some late, patchy frost here last night so I feel justified in having held off on planting, and with temps in the 40's at night for the next week I guess I'll keep waiting.[/quote]

I'm in 6B and I'm having the same problem. I had 2 baskets of strawberries outside last weekend, and one got hit pretty bad. Not sure if it's going to survive, and it was a gift for my daughter. You just can't rely on the weatherman. It was only supposed to get to 34.
I am, however, hardening-off my tomatoes in a sheltered area now
. We're supposed to have 40's some nights too. Is that too cold for hardening off tomatoes and herbs-?

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

April 23, 2013
11:41 AM

Post #9494503

I saw a few snowflakes a few minutes ago. No matter what the calendar says, spring has not yet arrived in the San Luis Valley.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2013
11:48 AM

Post #9494509

[quote="idealpeggy"]

I'm in 6B and I'm having the same problem. I had 2 baskets of strawberries outside last weekend, and one got hit pretty bad. Not sure if it's going to survive, and it was a gift for my daughter. You just can't rely on the weatherman. It was only supposed to get to 34.
I am, however, hardening-off my tomatoes in a sheltered area now
. We're supposed to have 40's some nights too. Is that too cold for hardening off tomatoes and herbs-?[/quote]

Strawberries are not frost sensitive and shouldn't even have noticed -- perhaps yours had been in a greenhouse?

I don't put out things that are tender or haven't been outside all winter until the nights are in the 50's. But I do take stuff in and out to enjoy the sun and just bring them in at night.

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2013
1:04 PM

Post #9494592

We are just getting going with our garden here in the PNW. So far we have:
Potatoes---up
Peas---Just coming up
leeks---sets and looking good
onions transplanted from GH
Carrots---Just starting to come up
In the Greenhouse we have:
18 Tomatoes---I will transplant outside early May. Will have to give some away
6 Peppers--Also too many. I got two to overwinter in the GH and one is setting buds.
Cabbage
Broccoli
Brussels Sprouts
Spinach
Lettuce--Need to transplant soon
Zucchini-Just planted
Delecata Squash-Just Planted
Cucumber-Just Planted
Need to plant parsnips and rudabegas very soon
PLUS, we have a new deer fence. I have great expectations for the 2013 garden.

Happy Gardening Everyone

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

April 23, 2013
3:24 PM

Post #9494788

You're doing great, beebonnet! Congrats for getting that fence up.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2013
3:21 PM

Post #9495900

I just got back from the nursery and I have bought seedlings of -
Eggplant
Zucchinu
Burpless cucumbers
Boston Lettuce
Brocolli
Tomatoes
Can't wait to get them planted.

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

April 24, 2013
3:39 PM

Post #9495916

I see a splendid salad in your future, rita. :)

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2013
3:49 PM

Post #9495926

I am just so ready to get my plants out. Have to wait some, still a little cool.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2013
9:01 PM

Post #9496291

I transplanted 10 bell peppers this evening.

Have to spray the tomatoes for little green worms. The tomatoes are about tangerine size, in clusters of 5-6 tomatoes.
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2013
6:18 AM

Post #9496485

I also had to spray tomatoes for worms. Lots of little green ones running around eating the leaves as well as the fruit. I'm still looking for a good organic insecticide. I use BT, but I guess I'd love seeing the critters just die. I was at a garden show a few weeks ago, & purchased an egg case of prating mantis. We'll see what they do.

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2013
6:50 AM

Post #9496514

I am so thankful that we don't have the green worms here. Hope we never do. I thought BT was organic. We do have to use it on the brassicas because of the white butterfly cabbage moth although, birds do a good job of picking them off. Some years, nor fast enough.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2013
7:01 AM

Post #9496525

I've NEVER had this many tomatoes, this early in my season. The little green worms are making lace doilies outta the leaves, but they aren't touching the tomatoes. However, I did find one wicked cutworm (black with greyish diamond patterns down both sides), with his head sticking inside a tomato!

He went to wormworld...

But, still don't want the little green worms to grow up and decide the tomatoes look better than the leaves, so Bt it is!

My outdoor eggplants are huge already! Too many in one EB, so have to divide them.

Linda

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2013
7:02 AM

Post #9496526

LOL @ "wormworld"!!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2013
7:07 AM

Post #9496531

LOLOL! ^^_^^

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2013
7:17 AM

Post #9496545

KELP MEAL AND SEAWEED EXTRACT
Calalily uses about half a coffee can full of kelp meal on a 4 x 34 raised bed, to help green up early tomato plantings. Just sprinkle it on the soil.

She also uses seaweed extract (which comes in a powder form) at a rate of 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water, then waters the plants with it.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2013
8:33 AM

Post #9496659

I just love it when the veggies start to produce and I can go outside and pick dinner right in my own garden and eat it just a short while later. I do love stir fry and last year had delicious stir fried beans mostly from my yard long beans. Will have those again this year, I already have the seeds but its too early to start them as yet. Last year I didn't have peppers this year I do. And Zucchini can go in those stir fries too. A nice pepper, bean and sliced zucchini stir fry. Yumm, Yumm. And eggplant can be micowaved and is easy to cook. Some red sauce and maybe a sprinkle of cheeze and dinner is served. Then there is my famous (famous in my own mind) tomato and cucumber salad. Plus fresh tomatoes eaten every way you can think of. I love love tomato sandwiches and never seem to get tired of them.

Maybe I will start my cucumbers this weekend. I have lots of seeds and always start some of my own to go with those burpless cucumber seedlongs that I bought.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2013
8:59 AM

Post #9496695

Now I'm hungry...

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2013
9:43 AM

Post #9496749

Now I wish I were planting a garden this season. Y'all are tempting me, but I keep remembering the squash vine borers, cucumber beetles, and voles last year.

Wish someone would build me a chicken coupe, then I could let the chickens have the run of the empty garden. Best "pesticide" there is! I was reading this morning, that chickens will even eat baby mice! They would get rid of my voles, for sure.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2013
10:07 AM

Post #9496786

I'm heading off for vacation. So whatever survives our son's ministrations will be most welcome when we get back LOL!

Oh, yes Honeybee! Chickens will eat baby mice. Mice have been an issue this past winter in my chicken coop. But one of my hens especially loves the babies...I have not doubt that chickens are descended from dinosaurs! This hen has started hunting like a tyrannosaurus!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2013
1:13 PM

Post #9496903

Anybody here using/following the Mittleider Gardening method?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2013
4:04 PM

Post #9497098

First tomato of the season 2013 is PEACEVINE CHERRY.
Even with the cold weather my first tomato arrived only 5 days later than usual. All the other plants are loaded of green tomatoes.
Too bad that I will be leaving tomorrow and back in two weeks ... ouch ... I hope my DH will harvest and take some pictures ... but I doubt it.
I hope I can enjoy everybody else pictures while I am away.

Thumbnail by drthor

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2013
1:27 PM

Post #9498149

I really want to plant my tomatoes but the nights are cool. But I am impatient.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2013
5:17 PM

Post #9498341

Oh well (sigh) A bean plant from the north

Thumbnail by juhur7

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2013
5:48 PM

Post #9498367

The Sugar Lace II growing in pots. These are really odd looking vines. Supposed to be a very productive variety so we will see.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita         

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2013
5:51 PM

Post #9498377

The snow peas are growing really well. I like growing in pots they are doing better than the ones in ground. Sprouted sooner and are growing faster.

Supposed to get down to 41 tonight so I bought in all my veggie seedlings.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2013
5:52 PM

Post #9498380

I haven't even started my beans yet. Too cold!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2013
6:19 PM

Post #9498408

Pea's are looking good there !! Some Beans grow a lot like peas .. That was one one of a few I left outside when it got down to 30 degrees .
Didn't even phase them ,(the beans) so I am going ahead with planting a few ,. everything else is wait , wait , and wait some more ...lettuce, onions,, beans .. in the garden so far..

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2013
9:01 AM

Post #9498930

I checked back and last year I planted my tomato seedlings on May 3rd. This year I plan on getting them in ground this Monday so that will be April 29th. I seem to get earlier each year.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2013
9:58 AM

Post #9498997

They are calling for potential frost next weekend now. So, I guess my tomatoes are NOT getting transplanted this weekend.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2013
10:17 AM

Post #9499016

whats with all this cold this year!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2013
10:39 AM

Post #9499036

It supposed to get in the 30s on Thursday. I'm going to plant out more and just hope for the best. I can't keep putting it off. I may wait to sow seeds, but I can't wait on everything. I'm lossing my enthusiasm.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2013
12:38 PM

Post #9499119

I uncovered my English peas this afternoon. Some of them have begun to flower. I sure hope the birds leave them alone!

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2013
2:26 PM

Post #9499182

I've forgotten how to spell enthuzziasmmm...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2013
2:28 PM

Post #9499184

Much the same here , 30's for night time temperatures next weekend , To cold for the tomato plants I have ..
Radishes ,onions , lettuce, herbs for salads ,I guess it is!!!

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2013
4:17 PM

Post #9499242

I've been complaining about the weather a lot, but I've never had lettuce do so well as this year; and radishes, turnips, mustard greens and spinach have been going like gangbusters. I wish the peas would get in gear, though - a few blooms but the plants are too small to produce much.

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2013
4:35 PM

Post #9499252

[quote="Gymgirl"]Anybody here using/following the Mittleider Gardening method?[/quote]

Gymgirl...I'll bite. What is the Mittleider Gardening method? Maybe I am doing it and don't even know it. LOL

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2013

Post #9499255

I can't seem to find the place here on DG where you can add an avatar. Can anyone tell me where to find that place?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2013
4:42 PM

Post #9499262

My info ; home page To manage your friends and groups ''''right hand side
ADD your picture scroll right
RIGHT beneath where you add your picture
IS add an avatar

This message was edited Apr 27, 2013 7:44 PM

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2013
5:05 PM

Post #9499276

Thanks juher7. Did it!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2013
5:21 PM

Post #9499287

Fun isn't it ???!!!! UUUUUUUU did it !!!!! .. Well Me Too!!!!^_^

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2013
11:45 PM

Post #9499443

Google Mittleider Gardening Method and look up videos by a guy named LDSPrepper. He's in the Spring, Texas area , just north of Houston.

Check out what he's growing all those veggies in---SAWDUST & SAND!!!!!!!!

LINDA

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2013
11:51 PM

Post #9499446

Here's a link to one of LDSPrepper's videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fElShiYAmU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2013
6:48 AM

Post #9500929

what is everybody harvesting?
any tomatoes yet?

I am out of town until mid May ... I hope y'all going to post some pictures of your garden ... I miss mine ...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2013
7:40 AM

Post #9501037

I grow long season beefsteak tomatoes that take 80-120 days from transplanting out.

I won't start harvesting until the end of May, which is why I will always have to transplant seedlings out by mid-February if I want a crop before the heat sets in above 82, and the pollen clumps.

I think many of the cherry and early types are fruiting now, since they take far less days to mature.

This message was edited Apr 29, 2013 8:55 AM

This message was edited Apr 29, 2013 8:56 AM
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2013
7:54 AM

Post #9501053

drthor
I just have my first tomato. It is a tiny thing on my earliest fruiting plant "Early Treat", I really love this tomato, it is a stout plant that makes lots of 11/2 to two inch size tomatoes. As you can see it will be a long time before I harvest them.
I heard you need some lettuce would be glad to send you some of mine!

Thumbnail by Seedfork   Thumbnail by Seedfork   Thumbnail by Seedfork   Thumbnail by Seedfork   

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2013
7:57 AM

Post #9501057

Seedfork,
I love your cold frame!
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2013
8:05 AM

Post #9501067

Thanks, I salvaged that aluminum frame from a old party tent, there was one on each corner. I have several different variations I use according to what is needed at the time. I have just set up a new location for two of them, I will cover these two over with plastic during the cold weather. During the warm weather the wire keeps squirrels and other pests from eating newly set out seedlings.

This message was edited Apr 29, 2013 10:06 AM

Thumbnail by Seedfork

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2013
1:38 PM

Post #9501506

I planted tomato seedlings today. 53 inground so far and I have a few empty spots still to fill up .

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2013
1:45 PM

Post #9501517

Well I have volunteer squash and tomatoes finally coming up, so as soon as the cold snap is over this weekend I'll put stuff in the ground!

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2013
2:54 PM

Post #9501603

NYRita---53 plants and more to come? Wow. And I thought 18 were too many. I hope to get mine planted this coming week. If I do it will be 2 weeks earlier than I usually plant them. We are having a glorious spring here in the PNW. Scares me, though. Ever heard of a false spring? But, we were due for a nice spring since the two previous ones were terrible. Wet, cold and gloomy. I am also going to transplant spinach plants and it will probably be too hot for them and they will bolt. You can never win them all in gardening.
Seems like the only volunteers I get are potatoes.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2013
3:36 PM

Post #9501641

I always go overboard with my tomato plants. I end up giving away tomatoes to everyone I know.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2013
9:08 PM

Post #9502074

Nichole you have my sympathy. I have plants in the ground but they aren't growing as fast as usual it just hasn't been warm enough, and nothing is blooming which is just strange the plants look good but I think the wild fluctuations in temps have them confused.

I was just talking to a neighbor and both of us commented on how long it took the squash seeds to germinate this year.

I still don't have volunteers coming up. I plan to finish planting in ground this week, most of the peppers and dwarf tomatoes I grow in containers and for some reason they grow fine on my covered deck even tho they get very little direct sun.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9502569

This is gonna be a crazy growing season -- again! But, that's the fun part -- challenges!

In the meanwhile, do a YouTube on a guy in Spring, Tx. named ldsprepper, and check out his garden videos. I'll be meeting him pretty soon.

He grows the veggies in sawdust and sand!
Linda

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2013
11:57 AM

Post #9502860

Wish I had know about him when we lived where the soil was just sand. All I needed to do, I guess, was add sawdust, which we have lots of here in OR. We have a fairly sandy soil here too, but we amend it with lots of things, especially from our barnyard and also aged sawdust.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2013
1:55 PM

Post #9503033

Bee,
The craziest part is he's not adding any amendments to the sawdust and sand. Seems Mr. Mittleider developed the gardening method, and figured out how to "mine?" the 16 or so trace elements they say all plants and veggies respond best to. It's a 1 lb. bag of rock dust? mineral?

Anyway, you mix that bag of minerals with Epsom salts and a balanced fertilizer between 13 and 19 (I believe 16-16-16 is the recommendation, but the other numbers will do if that's all you can find). The mixture is applied EVERY week, sprinkled on by the spoonful onto the growing medium. No need to mix in water or anything.

Check out his stuff.

I think I'll conduct a little experiment with my next raised bed. It will certainly be cheaper to fill it with sawdust and sand. I have access to the same supplier as ldsprepper. That little 1 lb. bag of magic minerals will mix approximately enough plant food to feed an average size backyard garden for 2 years, stored in a 5-gallon bucket.

Linda

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2013
2:19 PM

Post #9503055

Tha ammended tomato growing list after thowaways, giveaways and rebuys.
62 plants- All planted! Let the tomato crazies begin.
12 Better Boy
6 Big Boy
6 Beefmaster
6 Early Girl
6 Rutgers
6 Jet Star
6 Big Beef
4 Juliet
4 Sweet Million
3 Supersonic
1 Viva Italia
1 Sungold
1 Sugery

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2013
3:05 PM

Post #9503108

Wow , and here I thought a dozen was a bunch .. incredible!

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 30, 2013
3:50 PM

Post #9503153

Gymgirl,

I haven't looked a Mittleider method in detail, but what you are describing is fairly basic hydroponics media culture. Use a sterile medium, provide nutrients and water, and watch plants grow. There is also a variant of hydroponics that doesn't even use media, just the nutrient water and a structure to hold the plants... Soil is useful because it provides a buffer, both with nutrients and moisture, so that the needs of the plant don't have to be quite as carefully controlled. With something like the method you describe you just have to be careful to give the plants everything they need but not in excess. It is interesting, I'd agree.

David

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2013
8:33 PM

Post #9503552

Yes, David,
I believe someone did allude to it being a type of hydroponics system.

I'm drawn to it because of how inexpensive it seems to be to fill a raised bed then keep it fed once a week with the "magic" mix fertilizer. his videos show the whole process, step by step.

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2013
8:39 PM

Post #9503557

Well I planted out a bunch more tomatoes and sowed 4 packs of bean seeds only to hear that we will be getting in the 30's Thursday and Friday morning even lower. I looked at the long range forecast and every week there seems to be some kind of front. What month is it?

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 30, 2013
8:47 PM

Post #9503568

Lisa, new this month: forecasts of mini ice age returning...
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2013
8:52 PM

Post #9503573

Is that before or after global warming? Lol. I'm afraid my plants are going to be mad bc I took them out of the nice warm GH. Also strange that none are flowering. They are always flowering even before I plant them out. Not this year.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2013
8:53 PM

Post #9503575

Beans and lettuce is about all I have planted in the garden , of course those plants that return on their own are there .
I will try likely a couple of tomato plants , those I have three or more of . I have never trusted the weather here , likely never will either..

Thumbnail by juhur7

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2013
8:59 PM

Post #9503581

I'd have more time to plant if the weather would make up it's mind. This is very unusual 4 this time of year.

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

April 30, 2013
10:09 PM

Post #9503642

Forecast here is low of 20 tomorrow night. Getting so tired of cold. Come on JUNE!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 1, 2013
7:25 AM

Post #9503962

We might break record lows this weekend. Predicting mid-40s Friday and Saturday mornings...

So glad this weather is giving me a chance to catch up, since there are still two fallow beds lying totally empty...But, this means a shorter summer, so I might be able to start my seeds a bit earlier for fall planting.

Last year I sowed in August. I might push for 1/3 of the brassicas sowed indoors in mid-July for plant out by mid-September.

We'll see...

Always pushing the growing envelope!

momlady

momlady
Maple Falls, WA
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2013
9:05 AM

Post #9504097

Solace, zone 4a must be difficult. I am in foothills of Mount Baker in WA -- light frost last night was unusually late but not unheard of. The shorter growing season precludes a few things here. I am planting carrots and beets today once it warms up. Call me the optimist, but I think it's going to be warmer soon. What veg do you grow? And when do you put them in?

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2013
9:10 AM

Post #9504104

Today is a really lovely day here and I am starting lots of seeds.

For cucumbers I just planted Suryo Long, Straight Eight and Camilla.

For melons I planted Avara, Sakata and Green Machine.

Then I also planted Nevada Lettuce (yes I know should have done it earlier) and Zen Greens. Those were direct sown. The Cuks and the melons I start in recycled veggie containers. I keep them inside cause its warmer so they sprout quickly. Then when they come up I put them outside during the day and bring in at night for afew days until I am ready to plant them outside.

I still have my yard long bean seeds to start but they like it warm so I am waiting on them.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2013
10:26 AM

Post #9504184

This is the compleate list of edibles I am growing for this year-

Chives
Onions
Radishes
Zen Greens
Boston Lettuce
Nevada Lettuce
Brocoli
Sunflowers
Snow peas
Snap peas
Yard Long Beans
Frying Peppers
Cucumbers (4 different varieties)
Melons (4 different varieties)
Zucchini
Eggplant
Tomatoes

Lots and lots and lots of tomatoes.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 1, 2013
12:25 PM

Post #9504304

Looks like the north is warming up while the south is expecting more freezes! Crazy!
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2013
12:51 PM

Post #9504332

My little cucumbers and squash have gone from looking pale yellow to healthy green, the bigger plants were started early in the cold frame the other plants were direct sowed just recently.

Thumbnail by Seedfork   Thumbnail by Seedfork   Thumbnail by Seedfork   Thumbnail by Seedfork   

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2013
1:01 PM

Post #9504346

Looking good!

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

May 1, 2013
1:52 PM

Post #9504409

[quote="momlady"]Solace, zone 4a must be difficult. I am in foothills of Mount Baker in WA -- light frost last night was unusually late but not unheard of. The shorter growing season precludes a few things here. I am planting carrots and beets today once it warms up. Call me the optimist, but I think it's going to be warmer soon. What veg do you grow? And when do you put them in?[/quote]

I can't safely plant outside until June 15, but that never stops me from pushing the envelope, lol. I have corn and onions planted next to the water barrels in the topless greenhouse, but am covering them at night. I hope they survive tonight's predicted 20-degree low. Maybe the barrels will help.

Yesterday, I had purple basil LIFT OFF, and can barely see the seedlings (now under the light), but hopefully will have 48 of them to plant and share. Plan to can some pesto this year.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 1, 2013
1:56 PM

Post #9504414

Solace,
PLEASE post when you start canning your pesto, so I can get a tutorial on "HOW TO DO IT!"

LOL!!!

Linda

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

May 1, 2013
4:45 PM

Post #9504573

Planted some of my spinach seedlings into the garden today. They barley have their first leaves, so hope it wasn't too quick. Have more to go. If they all take off, I will have lots of spinach, which is okay because it freezes so nicely and I love to have it on hand in winter. Next are my cabbage and broccoli seedlings. Hope I don't run our of room. Every inch is spoken for now.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2013
5:49 PM

Post #9504667

My spinach is already bolting -- we just grow spinach in the winter in Alabama instead of saving it! Same with cabbage. Broccoli is a lost cause here, I think. Is your section of Oregon mild and overcast that lets you grow it in the summer?
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2013
8:58 PM

Post #9504900

Last Fall stayed warm way into Nov. I thought winter might last longer but I had no idea it would last into May in Texas! I wouldn't be surprised if it does it again. I have no expectations of a shorter summer, I hope I'm wrong.

Nicole-bee lives in a beautiful location on the coast. It's chilly and foggy a lot of the time. I just remember what it did to my hair! She's in a higher zone bc it doesn't get as cold or as hot as we do. I'm surprised you can't grow broccoli, I grow it here and never cover it no matter how cold it gets.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2013
5:40 AM

Post #9505094

[quote="1lisac"]I'm surprised you can't grow broccoli, I grow it here and never cover it no matter how cold it gets.[/quote]

We just don't seem to get enough mild fall weather for it to put on size. It doesn't get close to heading up before it goes dormant in the winter. Then it'll over winter, but a couple of warm days and it bolts. I thought I had it made this spring; the broccoli raab was starting to show tiny buds, but it bolted anyway. I guess we had enough cold/warm transitions for it to think it was the second year.

I guess this is why in the south everyone grows collards and kale, but I don't like either!

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2013
5:47 AM

Post #9505100

I've been out in the garden a lot the past few days, weeding and cleaning. I already did spring garden cleaning, but it's been a bumper season for weeds like violets with all the cool weather and rain. I still have to re-weed the corn and a couple of empty beds, but I'm getting close.

Warm weather has sent the spinach and turnips bolting, but the iceberg lettuce is just wilted. I pulled those out this morning. Romaine is hanging in there and is still tasty and not yet bitter. I wish I knew what variety, but it was a seed swap and it was only labelled "green romaine." The "Southern Giant" mustard is also still doing well.

Radishes are gone, but I'm getting a few peas and strawberries now.

The forecast this weekend is a moving target. I planted the tomatoes yesterday since they were saying a low of 50F... but this morning they are back down to 45F. Arg. Better get out the rowcover.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2013
6:52 AM

Post #9505161

NicoleC,
Start the broccoli inside, then, when it gets sizable (at least 6-8 TRUE leaves, and about 8-10" tall) plant it out. They'll look like tiny trees!

Try to time it so that they are fairly large (for a seedling) by the time your fall temps start dropping around 60-55. It'll take off fast, growing inTO your cold weather.

Broccoli can withstand temps down to around 42 without damage. A hoop that you could cover with some perforated plastic sheeting will help tremendously with wind. It's not the cold so much as the wind that needs to be in check.

You can do it!

Linda

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9505252

Thanks, Linda.

By the time our daytime temps are 55-60F -- it's winter and usually below 40 at night. I'm not alone. The market gardeners and CSA's don't grow it here either. Sometimes you have to pick your battles.

At 99 cents a pound (or less), I can buy a whole lot of broccoli for the time and expense of starting stuff indoors and babying it!

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2013
10:40 AM

Post #9505425

GymGirl---Do you cut the central head of your broccoli and then let the side shoots grow? I have gotten lots of extra meals from a plant by doing that. Fall broc. tastes best in the cold weather as do most of the brassicas, I think. I started my Brussels Sprouts already but won't plant them out until July. I won't see a meal until late Oct. I started a new one to me, though, and am not sure of the timing. It is called Cherry Hill. Brussels go all winter here. I just go out and pick them of the central stock, as many as needed, and let the plant keep growing.
But, you are right about the climate here. We can grow broc, and cabbage here all year around. I am growing a variety of spinach called Summer Spinach. Hope it works, 'cause we do get bolting, but i have to try because i love it so much.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2013
11:29 AM

Post #9505479

Yes, Bee!

Last season I got some amazing side shoots from the ARCADIA Broccoli variety. It is at the top of my Broccoli list!
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9505554

[quote="beebonnet"]GymGirl---Do you cut the central head of your broccoli and then let the side shoots grow? I have gotten lots of extra meals from a plant by doing that.
[/quote]

All I had last fall was the side shoots. Cause chickens got out and of course just at the central head. I got quite a bit of side shoots.

Can't say the same thing about the cauliflower they ate. Cauliflower doesn't grow side shoots. Darn chickens!
Jo-Ann

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2013
2:01 PM

Post #9505682

But Cauliflower leaves sauteed in a bit of butter, olive oil, minced garlic and S&P are just WONDERFUL!

I'm not quite sold on the broccoli leaves...they take a longer process to cook, and I just haven't given them that chance yet...maybe after the next fall/wtr season.
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 2, 2013
2:04 PM

Post #9505687

My Beefsteak tomato actually has little tomatoes on it. The plant is taller than the cage already.

Thumbnail by Seedfork   Thumbnail by Seedfork         

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2013
2:08 PM

Post #9505693

My Mule Team tomatoes are bigger than tangerines, and there're plenty of them!

But, I have encountered tomato worms and Leaf Footed Stinkbugs!

I sprayed Bt Friday evening for the worms, and we had a gully washer Saturday...
I sprayed Bt yesterday evening for the worms, and this morning we had a gully washer...

I'm cutting grass today...LOL!
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 2, 2013
2:13 PM

Post #9505702

I know how that goes, after you cut the grass it won't rain for a month. The grass will die, and in the mean time the worms will have destroyed the Tomatoes.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2013
2:27 PM

Post #9505718

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2013
8:40 PM

Post #9506147

I never cover any of my Cole crops and they have made it down into the 20s. I have radishes a beets growing now. What a crazy season, no open blooms on my tomatoes but it's supposed to get into the 30s tonight. It's too windy too cover.

I agree Nichole we have to pick our battles.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2013
10:28 PM

Post #9506183

Centerpoint Energy just left. My tree limbs are all caught up in the wires coming to the house. The whipping wind caused the tangle to rip out the metal bracket holding the phone wires. None of the electrical wires were hung up I'm VERY glad to report.

Two of the nicest guys! They got a garden tour by flashlight and a LARGE purple carrot!

Gotta get the tree man out pronto!

jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2013
5:07 AM

Post #9506324

[quote="Gymgirl"]But Cauliflower leaves sauteed in a bit of butter, olive oil, minced garlic and S&P are just WONDERFUL!

I'm not quite sold on the broccoli leaves...they take a longer process to cook, and I just haven't given them that chance yet...maybe after the next fall/wtr season.[/quote]

I really didn't know you could eat cauliflower leaves! This I will definitely try since I want to get as much out of my garden as I can.

It always bugged me that with cauliflower you get one (hopefully) big head & nothing else, not like broccoli with the side shoots. Eating the leaves will let me get more from the plant. Usually I just dig up the whole plant & give it to the chickens.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9506509

I've found you can eat most all of the leaves from your veggies. Except tomato leaves. They're poisonous...

Beet greens are the BOMB!!!! I now grow beets for the tops more than for the bottoms, although I do love the bottoms, too!

Turnip, collard, & mustard greens

Swiss Chard (I hated this until my neighbor cooked me some of her standard green chard -- it was delicious -- same as with the cauliflower leaves) I had been cooking the "rainbow" chard, which has a decidedly different taste than the plain old green. I like the green much better.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2013
7:35 AM

Post #9506571

Gymgirl - I'm glad you mentioned that the green chard tasted better than rainbow chard. I grew the rainbow and didn't like the flavor at all. Which is a shame, because it grew all one winter, through the following summer and through the next winter. It looked so pretty I didn't like pulling it up!

I shop at Trader Joe's and they carry two kinds of kale - one I like and one I don't. It's weird how the same kind of vegetables can taste so different.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2013
7:43 AM

Post #9506587

Hey, Bee!

At some point I will return to growing Rainbow Chard as an ornamental in my edible landscaping.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2013
8:29 AM

Post #9506657

How do you cook the Beet greens? Like you would cook spinach?

Yesterday I planted my pepper plants so now both my tomatoes and peppers are planted.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2013
9:01 AM

Post #9506683

Yes, you cook beet greens exactly the same way as spinach.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2013
10:05 AM

Post #9506739

Thanks. I used to grow beets, love those beet roots but I never thought to cook the greens. This year no beets but I might get some seed next trip to the nursery.

I am trying to get more easily grown things that I can use in veggie soup. I love to make veggie soup but in the winter it is heavy on root veggies that I buy in the store (potatoes, sweet potatoes, turnips, onions, celery). I need some items to use for summer veggie soup. I will have zucchini, eggplant, beans but need leafy greens I think.

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2013
4:41 PM

Post #9507162

HoneyBee...Which kale do you like and which do you not like? I have trouble with kale.( The chickens like it, though.) I read recipes that sound good but really are not...t.o me, anyway. I know that kale is so very healthy, so I would love to find one that I like. It is one veg that we should grow in the fall, I guess, because it isn't very good in hot weather, not even here. The secrets of kale mystify me.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2013
5:27 PM

Post #9507195

beebonnet - It's Tuscan Kale. They sell it fresh. The frozen Dwarf Siberian kale is the one I don't like.

http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article.asp?article_id=740
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2013
9:26 PM

Post #9507413

Tuscan kale is great and it's easy to grow. It's cut and come again. It's pretty as well as great tasting,

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2013
10:06 AM

Post #9507891

The rest of my garden is going in TOMORROW! No more waiting on the weather! Soon everything will be fried.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2013
11:05 AM

Post #9507925

Is anyone still sowing seeds??
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2013
11:25 AM

Post #9507938

I had not really planned on it but if the Armadillos keep digging up my plants I may have to sow some more!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2013
12:32 PM

Post #9507976

Yes, I'm still sowing seeds and planting plants. I have most of the tomatoes planted but no eggplant or peppers the temps haven't been high enough. I haven't sown any melon, okra or any other heat loving plants. It was 39* here Friday AM. Even the bush beans are slow to germinate.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2013
2:03 PM

Post #9508063

My tomatoes are huge, and some have a slight blush already. If I can keep the Bt ON the leaves (rain), I might have a chance against the worms.

This message was edited May 4, 2013 3:05 PM

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2013
2:29 PM

Post #9508086

Wanted to share. Black fuzzy, aka black stinging asp. Not an eastern tent caterpillar. 2- one of the leaffooted bug instars. 3- i forget the name of this flying thing 4- my poor onions just abt to get soaped...

Thumbnail by kittriana   Thumbnail by kittriana   Thumbnail by kittriana   Thumbnail by kittriana   

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

May 4, 2013
2:32 PM

Post #9508096

I guess I won't be setting my Romano bean seedlings outside, as they've decided to do a turbo growth and grow through the lattice wall of the inside greenhouse. They're all the way up to the ceiling now, and bearing beans. I did plant some onions brocolli, peas, and cabbage outside, though. Still have some freezes coming. The garlic's about 4 inches tall in the straw bales. The Kentucky wonder beans are going to town, too, so will have to decide what to do with them. The leaves on the Romano beans are huge and it's making a beautiful house plant, lol.
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2013
2:32 PM

Post #9508097

Ohh, I wish you had pictures!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2013
2:37 PM

Post #9508103

Bt a pwdr or spray? If a spray use a drop of dawn dishsoap and it slows the rain down and lets the Bt stick around longer

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

May 4, 2013
4:11 PM

Post #9508193

The Romano Bean escape.

Thumbnail by Solace

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2013
4:18 PM

Post #9508207

I hear that bean howling from here for more sun! Chuckl!

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

May 4, 2013
4:31 PM

Post #9508230

Yep, and the plants already filled up over half the window inside the greenhouse.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2013
4:31 PM

Post #9508231

[quote="Gymgirl"]Is anyone still sowing seeds??[/quote]

Oh yeah. Its just not warm enough yet for winter squash and such. Heading into the 30s tonight.

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

May 4, 2013
4:42 PM

Post #9508250

Yes, gymgirl, I still have a box of this year's seeds to start.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2013
5:44 PM

Post #9508305

I still have beans, okra, squash, more cucumbers, and probably a replant of sweet corn. The only thing I have approaching harvest are my onions, garlic, and some radishes. My tomatoes are just starting their first blooms.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2013
8:14 PM

Post #9508509

The potatoes, onions and radishes are doing great. Even the beets are slow growing, they just don't know what to do. Only one tomato plant has unopened flowers, when I think what month it is it really feels strange.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2013
8:41 PM

Post #9508530

Some of my tomatoes.

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl         

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9508834

On the seeds I started on May 1st the cucumbers have already sprouted. Now waiting on the melons. Nothing on the greens yet.,
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2013
8:32 AM

Post #9508933

Gymgirl,
That's a beautiful cluster of tomatoes, I love to see them when they form clusters of four or five together like that.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2013
1:18 PM

Post #9509253

Thank you, Seedfork!

It's my biggest cluster ever!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2013
2:01 PM

Post #9509318

The onions are all bulbing and my tomatoes have survived the latest rounds of cold weather and winds with minimal frost damage. I found a teeny tomato on one of my Homestead tomato plants this morning!! Woot! Today, I will plant bush beans, okra, and cukes (from seed).

Thumbnail by stephanietx

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2013
9:14 PM

Post #9509928

That is a precious picture!

Congrats, Stephanie!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2013
9:17 AM

Post #9510449

I checked this morning, and one of the tomatoes in the cluster above is a full tennis ball size, and rusty red on the entire bottom half!

And today is only May 6th! The worms are under control, the vines are full, and setting new blossoms everywhere!

This is the best season ever!

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

May 6, 2013
9:48 AM

Post #9510487

Wow, gymgirl! That's so exciting, and it's not even my garden! LOL Congratulations.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2013
8:55 AM

Post #9511765

Garden Update: Snapped this morning!

#1 FIRST real tomato of the season - Mule Team!
#2 Kimberly Cherry Tomato cluster (I picked three ripes ones Saturday!)
#3 VERY, VERY, VERY late transplanted cabbage in Earthbox.
Shouldn't even be alive...
#4 Bell Peppers under Tulle
#5 Mule Team Cluster

This message was edited May 7, 2013 10:59 AM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2013
9:02 AM

Post #9511781

A few more pics:

#1 Yellow Granex Onions. Need to move EBs into the sunshine...
#2 Purple Onions
#3 Rosemary
#4 Short carrots growing in a SmartPot
#5 Long carrots growing in a SmartPot

Still have two empty beds. Need to fill 'em up with some seeds!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 7, 2013
9:26 AM

Post #9511820

Linda,

Very nice! I am jealous of the ripe tomatoes. My plants are so late that I may not get tomatoes this year. My only hope is that the unusually cool weather persists long enough to allow some fruit to set. So far, only a few of my tomatoes are even blooming.

I'm going to have to completely replant corn. Don't know why, but non of the corn is growing -- of five varieties, and after watering. I lost all my sweet potatoes, too. It seems that the rabbits really like the taste of the slips... everyone of them was eaten to the ground. The sugar snap peas have seemingly stopped growing at about 8 inches. The beet seed tape I planted didn't sprout, so no beets this year either. Most of the squash and cucumber transplants died, so I will have to replant seeds for those. Finally, I haven't even planted beans, black-eye peas, or okra.

Sounds like it could be the basis for a country music or blues song...

David
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2013
9:41 AM

Post #9511831

David, none of the corn germinated? It sounds like you're having an awful time. The seeds may not have germinated bc the temps were too low. All of those like temps in the high 70s. My beets germinated but the lack of rain is doing them in. Radishes look good tho.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2013
10:07 AM

Post #9511858

Oh, David!
If I could, I'd bring you some of my seedlings that are sprouting fruit inside under fluorescent lights!!!!

This is one crazy growing season!

That cabbage should be toast, but, it's happy on the shady side of the yard, with a cool breeze. At least I'll be able to harvest the leaves. Or, because I was such an UBERnewbie once, I do know how to grow a cabbage for nine months, LOL! Through the Texas heat, even, into the biggest head of cabbage I ever grew!

I've been comfortable with my two empty beds, because the temps won't stabilize for the okras, eggplants, and the heat-lovers. My tomatoes may go clean past July, which was my target ripping date. I don't even have the yellowing bottom leaves like I normally do!

Not holding out much hope for the bell peppers, though. They definitely need the heat and with nights in the high 40s, they're getting stressed enough to not crank out fruits. I checked this morning, and, while there are new buds forming, if the temps stay on the roller coaster, they won't produce much of anything, let alone anything sizable.

Linda

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2013
10:16 AM

Post #9511869

David, have you been tracking your soil temperature? With the cool weather this spring, perhaps it has caused your germination woes and has shocked your transplants. I know my soil temp has lagged way behind what it would normally be. Meanwhile the few really warm days have been stressing my cool weather crops. Peas are almost a total bust this year.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2013
12:14 PM

Post #9512003

So today I planted my Burpless Cucumber seedlings and also my Sugar Cube Melon seedlings that I had bought at the nursery. Now I have to go water. Still plenty of room left for those that I am starting from seed myself.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2013
1:39 PM

Post #9512114

Oh, my mail came late or I just noticed it late but anyway my WHITE ACRE Southern Peas are here. Gosh, they are small. I kinda thought they would be bigger. I planted cowpeas once but that was years and years and years ago. Now I have totally forgotten. Will have to google growing southern peas before I plant them.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2013
8:09 PM

Post #9512599

I bet they want the soil hot or at least really warm.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2013
8:23 PM

Post #9512622

Only a few beans that do not care about temperature in my garden ,a little shade keeps my cool weather crops happy . I am still getting around to my cucumbers . 70's and 50's most of the time here , only a 33 forecast for this weekend means no hurry there .. I have enough plants to protect as it is ..
A couple of those bean plants took a 30 degree night and a couple more, That did not effect them at all ..
Weather is still making me feel or reply goofy ...

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2013
9:51 AM

Post #9513279

Monday I set out my cabbage and broccoli starts and yesterday I planted my tomatoes. All heirlooms, every one. Today I am going to plant bean seeds. For several years now I have been saving Lina Sisco's Bird Eye beans, an old heirloom from Missouri. A friend of mine gave me my starting seed. She found them in her freezer after her Dad had given them to her years before. It's a bush bean and is good young as a snap, later as a shellie, or dried for winter. It's prolific here and very pretty, too. Have any one of you grown this bean?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2013
11:05 AM

Post #9513373

I have head of that year's ago never have grown it though ,, below are lima &Kentucky Wonder so far ,, Garden a little messy as of thus far.

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7         

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

May 8, 2013
3:15 PM

Post #9513646

Here's the first tomatoes - a creole tomato that is already waist-high, and in the second photo, fino verde basil and a cherry tomato of unknown origin (the packet said "heirloom cherry"), all in a little plot about 2x2 feet.

Thumbnail by Nola_Nigella   Thumbnail by Nola_Nigella         

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2013
7:08 PM

Post #9513880

MY thought looking at that:
HOW I long for summer!!!!!

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

May 11, 2013
9:03 AM

Post #9516823

The fino verde basil is my favorite thing I've grown yet. It's so tasty in salads.

My favorite chef (my Nonna) says if you're using basil for pesto, soak it in water first to take out some of the sharpness and toughness.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2013
7:55 PM

Post #9517383

I've got beans!! Also discovered some grape clusters on the hubby's grape plants.

Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx         

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 11, 2013
11:33 PM

Post #9517488

I've got my eyes open for salad burnet too, as well as the fino verde basil...
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 12, 2013
8:04 PM

Post #9518461

Stephanie do you know when you sowed the beans? Mine are just coming up and they've been in the ground about 2 weeks, they never take this long. But the soil temps are much cooler then normal.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 13, 2013
6:35 AM

Post #9518809

It didn't frost last night despite the potential warning, but 39 is sure uncomfortable in mid May and tied our record low for the day. Finally, however, it looks like warm weather will be arriving to stay for a while with days in the 80's and nights in the 60's. Maybe I can get caught up in the garden!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2013
10:33 AM

Post #9519084

How do you process carrots for the freezer, or, is there a better way to use them immediately? I just pulled a batch, and don't have a clue!

Thanks!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 13, 2013
2:57 PM

Post #9519342

I sowed them a week ago this past Sunday, so May 5th. I did soak them overnight in water with a bit of hydrogen peroxide.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 13, 2013
3:12 PM

Post #9519352

Linda, I've chopped up and dehydrated carrots for use in soups. The ends and ugly pieces go in a bag in the freezer with other vegetable bits until I have enough stuff and a will be at home to let a pot of vegetable stock simmer on the back of the stove for 8 hours or so.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2013
10:22 AM

Post #9520276

Thanks, NicoleC!

I made a root cellar in the fridge, according to Alton Brown on the Food Network's "Good Eats."

He figured that since root crops grow under soil, they'd be comfortable in cold storage under a nice bed of sand. He did a segment once, showing his carrots and beets nestled under sand in his veggie drawer.

So, I layered my carrots under sand in one of my veggie crispers. Turned the humidity LOW...(I learned a neat trick for remembering how to set the humidity: Leaves & fruits grow up HIGH; Roots grow LOW -- how cool is that?)

I'll let ya'll know how long the carrots stay crisp in the fridge cellar, LOLOL!

Linda

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

May 14, 2013
11:56 AM

Post #9520358

Great idea, Linda! Wouldn't it be great, too, if we all had two refrigerators? :)

Well...I harvested my first crop of big old Romano beans last night and did a stir-fry with the beans, onion, green pepper, and ground elk meat. Man was it good, and those beans were delicious. It's still growing in the house, so i guess it will be a permanent "house plant" as long as it lives - which I hope is a long time since I cannot seem to find any more beans like it to plant. The Kentucky wonders are coming along, but they're a lot smaller. My scarlet runner beans are about 6" high now and will need to plant those out on a new trellis in the garden area, between the corn straw bales. Can't wait to see them climb the trellis. I put a bunch of plants out on the picnic table in the shade to begin hardening them off to later go into the topless greenhouse. Could still get a freeze, here, so will have to put a temporary top over everything out there, probably. It's really warm during the day, though. I've been informed that 24 sweet potato slips are on the way but I don't know where the strawberry plants are- guess they haven't been shipped yet, due to the cold zone, here. Guessing. Cooking up the rest of the ground elk for a late-lunch taco. Happy gardening.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2013
12:44 PM

Post #9520422

I have planted eggplant for the first time ever this year. I planted mine in pots. Just need it to warm up so they will start growing.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2013
12:46 PM

Post #9520429

Then this square garden has tomatoes and pepper plants. Then in the section in the middle I will plant yard long beans to grow up the netting. Haven't even planted the yard long bean seeds as it has been chilly lately.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2013
12:51 PM

Post #9520436

These cuke seedlings already in ground I bought at the nursery. They are a variety I get there each year just called "Burpless". I also started seeds of Camilla, Straight Eight and Suyo Long myself and will plant those out as soon as it warms up. Camilla is one of those cucumber types that makes female only flowers. And Suyo Long one of those Asian types.

And I have melon seedlings to plant out also. Avara, Cugar Cube, Sakura and Green Machine.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2013
1:52 PM

Post #9520515

I realised I had forgotten to start my Armenian Cucumber seeds so just put them up today. I start them inside so they will sprout quickly.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2013
2:43 PM

Post #9520560

I will do some Lemon,, Wonder,(white).good old Straight Eight , and I believe a Wonder bush cucumber , I will start them all here shortly(today or tomorrow)
Outdoor chore is rather hot and exhaustive with temps going from cool, comfortable , to baking sunshine as today 84 now .
Did plant a Tomato plant in the garden , frost free day is May 15 here .. Maybe? So I have a Belle Starr paste tomato and a yellow cherry planted ..
All is going good ,and only a bit iffy ..so far anyway ..

I really enjoyed the Armenian when I grew them , after a few years to much fungus though , That is a really delicious cuke!!! sometime I will grow them again .

This message was edited May 14, 2013 5:46 PM

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2013
3:12 PM

Post #9520587

NewYorkRita,
Just a tip: Eggplants are hungry, hungry Hippos and water Hogs! Transplant them to some enriched soil (add some compost), and feed them weakly, weekly!

Also, they will definitely need staking, and a larger container, unless you're transplanting into the ground or a raised bed.

That's a Black Beauty Eggplant growing in an eBucket. It was 11" tall, and, it was delicious!

Linda

This message was edited May 14, 2013 4:13 PM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 14, 2013
3:22 PM

Post #9520605

I am finally back home.
The garden grew 4' ... or something like that.
I go to San Francisco every year at the same time and when I come back I start to harvest millions of tomatoes ... but not this year.
Everything seems slow.
But i am keeping harvesting lettuce and onions and i ate 3 okra pods on the spot ... sorry no picture.
I am eating all my artichokes and carrots.
First tomatoes are: Gold Nugget (as usual), Gold Gem, Sweet Millions, Peacevine Cherry, Tigerella, Coyote

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 14, 2013
3:25 PM

Post #9520609

Tons of onios are getting ready, beautiful artichokes and lots of green tomatoes.

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

May 14, 2013
3:37 PM

Post #9520619

DrThor: Wow! Your plants must've missed you, they got bored and just grew and grew. :) They're beautiful.

Rita, you've been very very busy, lol.

Gymgirl: I have several Listada de Gandia eggplant doing fairly well, some are big and some tiny, yet. I accidently broke one in half the other day and was just sick, because they're not easy to grow (for me anyway), but I took the broken top with all the leaves and stuck it back down in the perlite/vermiculite mix and lo and behold both the bottom of the stem and the top began to put out leaves. :) I have two tiny Casper eggplants up, but haven't started the other types, yet. I still have a lot of seed to start - this time of year the question's not what can I do, but what do I do first, second, etc. So much to do.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2013
3:46 PM

Post #9520627

Don't have room in ground. I watched some Y-Tube videos and many people grow them in pots. The watering is not a problem, I can water twice a day. Or more if necessary. And I have my trusty Seaweed and fish liquid fertilizer ready to go. I can stake them, no problem. I kinda wondered about that.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 14, 2013
7:51 PM

Post #9520943

FINALLY, at 9:30 pm CDT I finished replanting my corn. Used all new varieties since I didn't have time to test germination of seeds I'd saved from last year (in sealed bags, refrigerated). An out of town trip last weekend, then over half-inch of rain, doctors appointments, physical therapy appointments, etc. kept me out of the gardenfor longer than I wanted. HAD to finish today since an inch or more of rain is expected in the next 24 hours. Started tilling the weedy area where I'd planted corn the first time about 3:30. Worked until 6:00, then went inside an collapsed for about an hour-and-a-half. Ate supper, then went back out to plant. I was able to rake the seedbed rows smooth before dark. I planted using the Earthway seeder and the lights from my garden tractor, with a flashlight pointed into the seed bin to be sure that the seed wheel was loading. I only planted 600 linear feet this time, rather than the 750 feet the first time. I only had three new types of seeds, one with 63 day maturity, and two with 75 day maturity. I may do germination tests on the seeds I tried the first time, then plant some of that in August for a fall harvest. If these don't grow I will be visiting the grocery store produce section more frequently this summer.

David
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 14, 2013
8:10 PM

Post #9520960

I've never staked any of my Eggplants but this is the first year that Ive grown Black Beauty, maybe it a larger plant. I grow them and peppers in containers just like a perennial I have about 20 pepper plants in containers from last year.

David if you do a germination test please let us know the results. I think the soil has been too cold and then when it gets wet evaporative cooling makes it colder. It was 47* here yesterday morning and even today when I was planting the ground felt much cooler then the ambient temps.

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

May 15, 2013
9:06 AM

Post #9521462

Drthor, I was just looking at threads from last year to see how far the weather has put everyone here behind. You had tons of tomatoes this time last year! I'm hoping this means a bit cooler of a summer and a longer season into fall?

Planted out a Poona Kheera cucumber in my front garden bed in amongst the flowers, and a Stupice tomato, too - the front yard gets the most sun, and there's a huge warehouse loft building with white walls across the street, which I swear makes it hotter.

The zukes and cushaw grow a foot every time I look at them!

Watched a monarch come out of its chrysalis on the back patio with my morning coffee. Lovely morning!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2013
10:28 AM

Post #9521549

So my husband put the high nitrogen onion fertilizer on the tomato plants last night before the rain. :( What can I do to counteract this organically??
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2013
11:51 AM

Post #9521640

Stephane I would drench it with water. This might dilute it and leach it out. That's the only thing I can think of to do and tell your husband to stay out of the garden. Every time somebody helped me in the garden I ended up with more work so I don't let anybody go in them anymore. I've put too much time and energy into it to have somebody else mess it up. Maybe your husband can stand there with the hose. Lol

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2013
1:49 PM

Post #9521780

stephanietx
is any of your tomatoes ready to harvest yet?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 15, 2013
4:30 PM

Post #9521927

OH, Steph! Flush, flush, flush! Then, flush some more!!!

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2013
4:44 PM

Post #9521962

The soil temperature finally cracked 70F today. Last year on April 1st, it was 72F!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 15, 2013
5:51 PM

Post #9522049

Well, dont drown the mater, but nitrogen flushes faster than the other 2! It will green up a lot and get bushier depending on how much extra fert he poured out...

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2013
1:20 PM

Post #9522942

Well, hurray for me! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: I had to get potting soil so I went to our local nursaery and bought two bags. While I was there I bought a yellow zucchini called Buckingham. I though yellow ones were summer squash but they are calling this a zucchini. Definately yellow. In single small pots but I have two nice seedlings in mine. So I will be potting them up and have two pots of yellow zucchini and the three pots of green.

I also bought a six pack of cauliflower seedlings. I have never grown cauliflower, I don't even buy it at the store! :whistling: :rolleyes:

And I really, really had to stop myself from buying strawberry plants that I have no room for.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2013
2:31 PM

Post #9523010

Well...Mark went out and scraped up what he could of the fertilizer, which was pretty much all of it, then he applied the correct fertilizer. Then, the heavens opened up and the rains came. He also dug out more of the comfrey and put the leaves in a 5 gal container of water to steep so we could use it as liquid fertilizer for the maters. He also found 3 beefsteak babies on the plant closest to the comfrey. We also harvested some blackberries today. This is just the start. The bush is loaded!

Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx      

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2013
3:05 PM

Post #9523053

I planted my two yellow Zucchini. They are in pots. And I made a place for the 6 cauliflowers, planted them but realised I had 7 in the tray. An extra seedling. So I put that one in a small pot.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 16, 2013
3:48 PM

Post #9523103

The yellow zukes arent bad. some of em might have a green bottom, but otherwise look like a straight yellow squash- good flavor.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2013
4:03 PM

Post #9523113

Yes, the picture of the yellow zucchini looks like a common yellow summer squash. Really nice looking plants and I only had green zucchini planted so I just could not resist. But I figgured it couldn't taste bad and should be different from the green.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2013
6:57 PM

Post #9523287

stephanietx
you are ahead of me with the Blackberries. Mine are just starting to change color.
Okra is starting to make lot of pods already.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2013
7:10 PM

Post #9523309

Still harvesting a lot of lettuce. This will be the first year that I am eating tomatoes with lettuce together.
Lots of green peppers.
Tomatoes are starting to turn color really fast now.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2013
7:12 PM

Post #9523313

My zucchini are also growing really well under my organdy ...
What was I thinking when I bought that fabric ... look at those colors ...
Anyway, now it is put at good use; Squash Vine Borer I will full you this year !!!

LiseP
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2013
7:29 AM

Post #9523750

stephanietx -- beautiful blackberries!
Nice zuke covers, drthor. I don't have any lettuce left (it bolted). I have some purple romaine going in a shadier part of the garden, though, and it is still coming in.

My squash are just starting to develop -- yellow crookneck mostly. I used tulle over the squash until I started to get blossoms, then pulled the covers off. My back-up squash vine borer defense is aluminum foil around the base -- hope that works! I picked a couple little yellow squash even though they were very small, on the premise that it will encourage more production. I think I read that somewhere!

I have only picked 3 or 4 cherry tomatoes so far -- lots more 'maters on the horizon. Can't wait!

Small cukes developing, but they seem to stay smaller than I thought they would -- "Market Mores." The largest is only about 4 or 5 inches so far and now seems stalled.

Two cantaloupes on the vine - one is tennis ball-sized, the other just the size of a shooter marble.

Have had 5 meals' worth of green beans off my vines but they area slowed/stopped now.

Had my best season so far with strawberries. That's not saying much, but I enjoy finding a berry now and then. I have 7 plants.

Picked one small pepper and have another couple starting.

Eggplant still struggling -- I think I put the tulle down OVER some flea beetles because the ravaging just never really stopped, although the plants are still hanging in there.

I just have one cabbage. It seemed stalled for awhile but is now starting to get going.

And one pumpkin -- I threw in 1 seed a long time ago and nothing came up. But now it has started.

Two or three watermelon - also still rather small, I think they like soil sandier than I have it.

Onions are lying on the ground. Have used a couple, and I don't think they're going to get any bigger so may as well start pulling and using the rest.

Okay, that's my update here in San Antonio.

Thumbnail by LiseP

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 17, 2013
11:16 AM

Post #9523943

I'm still trying to figure out how it was 47* Monday morning and 77 this morning.

When are squash plants too big to be bothered by vine borers?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2013
11:20 AM

Post #9523948

I don't believe the squash plants are ever NOT bothered. It's a matter of protecting the plants you have, in order to end up with some larger plants that can withstand the hits better than the younger plants that would be totally wiped out.

The larger/bigger plants have at least a chance of giving you some fruits before the SVB does them in.

DISCLAIMER: "..at least I think that's how it goes..."

Linda

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 17, 2013
11:32 AM

Post #9523961

Knock on wood but my plants look great and have flowers just getting ready to open, the zuke even has a female bloosom. I have purple tulle but I haven't used it yet...the cool temps seem to have kept the bugs at bay. I was thinking of injecting the stems with Bt as a preventative. I've never had plants do this well here they are really big.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2013
11:51 AM

Post #9523981

Congratulations, 1lisac!

Sounds like you've flown under the SVB radar (for the moment, LOL).

If the plants are big and healthy, I think I'd go ahead and inject at least some of the stems with the Bt. Bottom line is that the SVB is always lurking. And, it has TWO very long egg-laying seasons. So, not to be the voice of doom and gloom, I'd hedge my bets now, before it warms up again...

P.S. Glad to see so many of us are using the tulle! I have my bell peppers covered, and not a mark on them since I did!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2013
1:06 PM

Post #9524041

SVB is drawn to yellow - yellow solo cups/plates with vaseline draws em and you know they are there to poison. luck with bt

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2013
1:16 PM

Post #9524062

I decided I needed to start the rest of my seeds so I am starting inside my cowpeas, bush beans, yard long beans and some Scartett runner beans. They have joined the Armenian cucumbers that I set up the other day but have not sprouted as yet. I start them inside using those veggie six or 4 pack cells that I reuse and just put fresh potting mix in. Then I keep them in my kitchen cause it is warm and the seeds usually sprout quickly. After the seeds break the surface I bring them outside in the sunshine. If its still cold, I bring them in at night and put them out during the day. So lets see how long it takes them to sprout.

I also planted in ground my seedlings that I had I grew myself of cucumbers Straight Eight, Suyo Long and Camilla. And the melons seedlings. Planted them in ground also. I have Avara, Green Machine and Sakura.

I am taking no chances, I sprinkled the Sluggo around as soon as I finished planting. Don't want the slugs to eat up my seedlings. Last year I had bought Burpless Cuke seedlings and the slugs totally ate and wiped out the first batch. I had to buy them again and replant. I learned my lesson. Sluggo out as soon as they are planted.

Some of my Pepper plants have open flowers already. And my Suggery grape tomato not only has flowers but 5 green fruits already. And I see Sungold has open flowers today also. And Viva Italia has been flowering. The rest of the tomato plants are doing well, growing and much bigger than they were when planted.

My Zucchini have buds forming, I can see them. But my eggplant isn't doing much of anything yet. Just sitting there.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2013
9:48 PM

Post #9524495

I've picked 2.3 lbs. of Mule Team tomatoes, and I LIKE them! They are a great blend of meaty and juicy without being runny. And, the skin is NOT tough! It is a good balance of sweet to tang, too.

I get the feeling these are gonna beat our heat and keep cranking out tomatoes.

My bells have settled in and are producing blooms.

Last year's white Hansel? Gretyl? eggplants have fruits. It was so mild, they over-wintered on the covered patio and came back.

My onions are stalling, but they're alive. I need to move them into more sun.

The Black Beauty eggplants sowed in the EBs are full of blooms. I divided them out last weekend.

I pulled the last of the carrots, and stored them in the "froot" cellar I made in the fridge. Thank you Alton Brown!

Inside I have flats of bells, more Eggplants and a couple tomato plants ready for hardening off tomorrow. Have to wrap them in tulle for their field trip!

Topped off a raised bed with some coffee grinds and discovered three of those big brown larvae. But, I was prepared this time, and didn't drop them when they wiggled. It was the last thing they did...

Tomorrow I need to paint some planters and plant caladiums and daffodil bulbs. Then, soak some okra seeds, long beans, and zucchini squash.

That's my update!

Linda

This message was edited May 18, 2013 6:15 PM

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2013
12:56 PM

Post #9525036

Ordered seeds at Burpee because they have that $2.00 flate rate shipping. Got Sweet Sucess Burpless cucumbers. Will save them for next year. Also got 2 types of yellow summer squash. Golden Egg Hybrid and Summer Saffron. Both are non crookneck types. Golden Egg really does have an oval shape and the other is just typical squash or zucchini shape. I have been reading about planting squash for a fall harvest but not sure if they mean summer squash or those hard shelled vining types. I don't want to grow the winter squash, I don't really like winter squash.

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

May 18, 2013
4:20 PM

Post #9525197

Very different year in gardening for you, isn't it, with all the seed starting? I think it's so fun to watch for "lift off" of the seeds, watching them grow fast. It's kinda like waiting for babies to be born, lol (well...kinda). You are going to have a tremendous garden!

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2013
5:23 PM

Post #9525252

The only seeds I ever start are the easy ones ha-ha.
LiseP
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2013
8:43 AM

Post #9525749

Linda,
Great update. Your seed-starting efforts are sure paying off. I have never heard of mule tomatoes, but am glad to know it's a good one.

I love seeing your success at eggplant. Mine are struggling but I am encouraged when I see other folks' eggplant coming along. I think maybe I put mine out too early so it got cold-stressed, then it was further stressed by flea beetles, and the tulle I put down either had some loose spots so the flea beetles got in anyway, or I trapped some under the tulle. But it is looking better this week, anyway, so maybe it will catch up.

On your planters - daffodil bulbs now? I guess I always thought the bulbs had to wait until fall.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2013
9:21 AM

Post #9525792

We leave em in ground all year down here- they can bloom twice a year most seasons- daffs, narcissus, lycoris, cannas, iris, - we just dont get the ground frozen deep enough nor long enouch to affect them. Crocus we have to throw bags of ice on em long enough to get their chill hours, or take up and chill and repla.t tho.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2013
1:41 PM

Post #9526064

I realized that I did two planting of garlic last year. I pulled out the ones I did in September and I soon realized that they are ready ... but I am glad that I stopped to pull.
I need to harvest garlic on a ROOT day so it will store well. Next week I have lots of root days.
I am harvesting yellow granex onions that are start to fall over. No need to store these right now. My husband is a "onion monster" ... until the cucumbers will start.

I also harvested a few okra pods and tomatoes.
Yes the tomatoes are starting to ripen every day now. Finally !!
So far I am so impressed by the taste and color of Jeunne Flamme ... amazing !!

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9526072

This is the first eggplant that is starting to ripen. It is Malaysian Dark Red Eggplant http://www.rareseeds.com/malaysian-dark-red-eggplant/
My eggplant plants never look so good. I did plant them in the opposite side of the vegetable garden ... away from flee beetles ... so far the beetles have not found them ...
No spray and no cover on them ...
Okra pods
Cucumber growing crazy ... I hope soon to start to harvest.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2013
1:50 PM

Post #9526078

Tomatoes .. weeeee

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2013
1:54 PM

Post #9526081

LiseP
flee beetles are really small and they will go trough the tulle ... sorry
Also, SVB will be able to lay eggs through the tulle holes if he can get close enough to a leaf ...

Every morning I am "manually" pollinating my zucchini under my organdy cover.
I do have a few growing ... weeee
I am so impressed by this and I am upset I was too lazy and I didn't use it before.
Organdy is very light and it will move around with the wind without damaging the leaves.
Also the water goes through 100%

So far so good

Thumbnail by drthor

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2013
2:08 PM

Post #9526100

Good friends that you need to have in your garden

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2013
4:23 PM

Post #9527555

The blackberries have started ripening!! My bushes are loaded and I don't even like them. LOL

Yesterday's berry harvest.

The Texas Legends are starting to flop over. I'll be harvesting soon!

Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx      

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2013
5:18 PM

Post #9527619

Looks great, Stephanie. I love Blackberries.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2013
5:56 PM

Post #9527695

huum
I think I might be planting my onions too deep, looking at your Stephanietx.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2013
7:04 PM

Post #9527794

I plant them about 1" deep, just up to my knuckle on my pointer finger.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2013
7:07 PM

Post #9527801

oookkk still a lot to learn about onions ...

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2013
9:03 AM

Post #9528343

All of your garden photos and comments from all of you are great and so interesting to me. Long Island just starting like me and Texas beginning their harvests. I love DG.
Anyway, my garden is coming along great so far, but tonight we are supposed to get a real cold front from the north and lasting through Wed. It has been so warm and lovely that I went ahead and planted things that hate cold, like cucumbers and squash. The beans and corn are up and growing fast. My hubby and I will have to cover tender things with remay later today and hope for the best. I have been a gardener long enough to know I should have waited.
The deer fence my DH put around the garden is wonderful and I am enjoying tending plants without getting caught in the netting I used before this year. Can't tell you how many times I related to Peter Rabbit.
I plan to take photos of my garden after this cold goes away and hopefully it doesn't take away any plants with it.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2013
10:49 AM

Post #9528481

I'm thrilled to report that I have beautiful squash plants that are just starting to bloom and up until yesterday I had done nothing to protect them. I did put tulle over them yesterday and today male and female flowers opened. I don't see any signs of the dreaded SVB on the plants. I have no idea what the difference is except it stayed cold so long.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2013
11:18 AM

Post #9528511

Lisa,

Will you be hand-pollinating your squash? If they are covered, the bees can't work the blossoms and move pollen from plant to plant. I've always understood that you could cover _until_ they started blooming.

David

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2013
11:30 AM

Post #9528524

dreaves,
I am hand-pollinating my zucchini because they are under cover.
No sign of SVB yet.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2013
11:37 AM

Post #9528537

Congrats to all of you who are out-witting that dreaded Squash Vine Borer!!!

Just a reminder that the SVB has TWO egg-laying seasons here in Texas...

I haven't even started zucchini yet, but, I believe I still have time to start the two plants I hope to get fruit from.

Tomatoes are ripening every day now! Picking Mule Teams and Beauty Beefsteaks that are averaging 7-8 ounces each.

I'm happy!

P.S. I have at LEAST 6 bell pepper fruits growing inside under lights, LOL!

..aaarrrggghhh...

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2013
1:43 PM

Post #9528637

How come you hardly post NO pictures of what you say you do harvest?
It will be nice to see some pictures of what you talking.

Tomatoes season is definitely starting here.
I harvested some tomatoes today before the bad weather did start. Lots of different colors and shapes this year.
So far, my biggest surprise has been JEUNNE FLAMME. A yellow tomato with orange flesh = its taste is amazing.
Also CHOCOLATE CHERRY = so good !
Disappointed again by MOMOTARO tomato, second year planting this variety. I have two plants in the ground and they both have only 3 tomatoes.
Also GOLDEN JUBILEE this year is very slow ... but I don't remember if it is always like that ... huumm
Eggplants and more okra will be ready soon.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2013
2:41 PM

Post #9528702

I'll try to post more pictures of what I'm talking about...

I got to thinking at one point, "how many different pictures of the same veggies do I need to post over and over, LOL?

So, I figured I'd just lay back awhile until I had something really spectacular to post a picture of -- like that HUGE cluster of tomatoes I've been praying to pull before the birds or the worms get to them. They're still green, but, I'll rush right home and snap a picture for ya'll, ok?

Hugs!

Linda

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2013
3:11 PM

Post #9528737

It is really lovely out and I should go plant my 4 Lady Bell Pepper plants that I bought at the nursery today but I will leave them to tomorrow. Had to really wrack my brain for where I could possibly put them but have come up with an idea. I didn't know anything about the variety but just Googled it and found out it turns red. Supposed to be a heavy in fruit producing. You can eat it green or wait for it to turn red. Sounds good to me. Stuffed Peppers anyone?
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2013
5:50 PM

Post #9528944

Yes, David I will hand pollinate them, I usually do anyway but the plants aren't usually this beautiful. I have zuke, yellow crook neck, and white scallop squash.

I won't be posting pics since everybody knows what they look like, and mine don't look any different. The pics just take the thread longer to load.

I'm with Linda " same pics if the same veggies over and over " seems redundant but if something special shows up I'll post a pic. This is a gardening site so most of us know what veggies and flowers look like.

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

May 21, 2013
6:59 PM

Post #9529024

DrThor, I see you use pine needles as mulch. Is that to help acidify the soil?
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2013
7:16 PM

Post #9529062

Where do you get the pine needles from?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2013
8:07 PM

Post #9529145

Ok. I raced home and snapped pics, inside and out.

Mind you, most of the toms are outside on thevines. I've been catching them soon as they blush, and setting them on the counter.

Pic #1 is 3.3 lbs. from last week.
Pic #2 is 4lbs. I picked this evening.
Pic #3 is the bells growing inside...
Pic #4 is my 3x10' tomato jungle

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2013
8:10 PM

Post #9529148

I really like that Tomato jungle !!! The first three make me hungry ..lol
Here's I close as I am to my first Tomatoes from the garden..

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7         

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2013
8:20 PM

Post #9529161

Juhur,
Thank you!

Your babies will be ready in no time!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2013
8:24 PM

Post #9529168

That Jungle is incredible. Lol and those tomatoes are beautiful. What kind are they?

Juhur-you are a little ahead of me. Some of my plants have been in the ground since the beginning of April but just sat there. My guess is it was just too cold especially the soil temps. Since it has warmed up everything has grown like crazy and is really blooming. I'm growing many more hybrids Im wondering how they will do up against the O/Ps. Still wondering how I'm going to cage everything planting is so much more fun. One year I drove a stake in the ground and tied the whole tomato vine up to it. It wasn't pretty but it worked.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2013
8:38 PM

Post #9529176

1lisac; Those are the Broad Ripple Currant ,,Been warmer here than normal . even warmer at night than last year ..Possibly though a 47 or a 43 could happen Friday night .. If it does I will lose them ..

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2013
8:39 PM

Post #9529178

Thanks, Lisa!

Believe it or not, I started 11 different heirloom varieties, including 4 New Big Dwarfs I had hoped to grow for the first time. Well , leave it to me to dole out all the seedlings and manage to keep only TWO varieties for myself!!!

I'm growing Mule Team and Beauty Beefsteaks. And I think I got one NBD in. It still hasn't set many blooms yet, but it's in a good spot.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2013
8:47 PM

Post #9529180

Check this out. YouTube videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CLWdctgzOA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzuIFTfRnEc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG5ZWXbdxL0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This message was edited May 21, 2013 11:00 PM

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2013
4:17 AM

Post #9529357

We had an inch of rain last Friday and then lots of hot and muggy weather since. My toms are growing like crazy, the peppers have perked up and are finally growing and the corn I think has doubled in size over the past few days.

Helloooooo summer! Okay maybe not... getting into the 40's this weekend. But 90 and hot and sticky yesterday feels like summer to me.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2013
7:42 AM

Post #9529598

Solace,
I use pine needle in my vegetable garden because that what I have been thought in my gardening classes.
It is very good to protect the soil in our heat of the summer and to keep the moisture down deep.
I have been using pine needles for years with great success.
I buy it at my local garden store. It is very cheap.

This message was edited May 22, 2013 8:55 AM

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2013
7:51 AM

Post #9529610

[quote="1lisac"]
I won't be posting pics since everybody knows what they look like, and mine don't look any different. The pics just take the thread longer to load.

I'm with Linda " same pics if the same veggies over and over " seems redundant but if something special shows up I'll post a pic. This is a gardening site so most of us know what veggies and flowers look like.

[/quote]

It seems very strange to read these words ... you guys spend the all year talking about your fantastic vegetables and when it is time to show how great is what you are growing ... you hardly show them ... but you keep talking about them ...
I can show you picture of the "same vegetables" in different shapes and colors and texture ... isn't this why we belong to this forum?
Don't we all want to see what everybody is growing? and what is the best technique on how to do it?
"redundant" to me is somebody like my neighbor that tells me how to do this and that in my garden, while her garden is full of weeds and she never grew anything.
" a picture save a millions of words"

So I hope y'all keep posting pictures on what you are growing ... it is the best way to learn.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2013
7:52 AM

Post #9529612

Juhur,
your tomatoes look amazing.
You know that your plants are as big as mine ... even if your zone is much cooler.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2013
8:47 AM

Post #9529689

Drthor, I just don't have the time and I don't see a reason to post a pic of normal things. Looking thru the threads I'm not the only one. But that's just my way, not the only way.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2013
9:55 AM

Post #9529800

Pea blossoms!!!! My first pea blossoms of this spring have appeared. My Norli peas that I have inground in a section of veggie garden have blossoms started.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2013
9:58 AM

Post #9529804

Drthor- you have a 75% advantage in your wifi signals than many country folk do- when pictures are trying to load on dialup systems it can take an hour for each picture. Plus in the country when a picture does finally load, it can be 'kicked' out by city dsl speeds. Many of us love to see your pictures ! They have helped many gardeners who dont ever get brave enuff to contribute, but learn from what we show them

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2013
9:59 AM

Post #9529809

Yummm!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2013
10:04 AM

Post #9529815

drthor ; The night temperatures have been upper 50's to upper 60's for nearly three weeks , a few 70's at night . plants grew good with that.
Tomorrow night 42 and Friday 47 could make a loss of all that , plants are to big for me to cover with what I have ..
Only saying that it has been nearly as warm here as your southern temperatures ..

I have most backed up if I lose any , I am still going to growl and be in a mood if it happens that way though .

Redundancy is named practice ,, If you see and do often enough , you educate , Most of the plant and garden for me has been redundant and learn by doing ,, and it is still that way..lol

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2013
11:54 AM

Post #9529943

kittriana and juhur7 you are the best !

Today I harvested all my garlic.
I spent $4 on garlic from Sam's club and I grew garlic for a year ! WOW !
The very large bulbs grew in direct sun light, while the very small in the shade (duuhhhh)

I also harvested a few onions.

WOW ! I don't think my house will be visited by "vampires" any time soon !

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2013
12:03 PM

Post #9529953

Oh my, look at all that garlic.

Finially got to planting out my sunflowers that I grew myself from seed. I didn't have any last year as I just didn't get to starting seed. I have 9 sunflowers so that should be plenty. I love sunflowers as I think they are so pretty. Plus they draw the goldfinches. They come check out those flower heads as soon as they see them bloom. And are eating on them as soon as the seeds start to ripen.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2013
12:34 PM

Post #9529983

I have a few Garlic bulbs , they will be for growing a while and not eating ,small garden and while they are getting started I will let them grow .
Red snake traditional , Siberian Red and Chesnook , Of which I ended up with one bulb of ""after critter ""
Of course I have been snipping bites from the garlic ..

The Goldfinches are everywhere when the Sunflowers and Coreopsis begin to seed ,, The large Bumble bees are always about the Sunflowers also . I don't have any pic's but a few years back I had a 30 inch bloom on a Mammoth Russian ,, some fun there .. Sunflower Umbrella ..lol

Yes indeed those do!!! and' I did not mean to pass saying those garlic bulbs look great (or yummy) Great plant when you can grow them !

This message was edited May 22, 2013 4:21 PM

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2013
1:00 PM

Post #9530016

Those garlic plants are beautiful, drthor. Great job! Sam's Club for sure in November!

This message was edited May 22, 2013 3:21 PM

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2013
1:20 PM

Post #9530034

NEW THREAD HAS BEEN CREATED: PART 6!!!

GO HERE: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1314022/
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2013
2:24 PM

Post #9530129

Never said anything about drthor's pics I just said I wouldn't be posting any unless it's something unusual...don't know how my comment had anything to do with drthor? I see no reason to post a pic of a squash. Lol most of the threads I'm on have more text then pics...the pics are a great way to show a problem or clarify something but I never said anything about drthors pics. except that pics can make loading slow. I don't see any reason to make something slow so I can post a pic of a squash. LOL

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2013
2:26 PM

Post #9530131

It goes that way sometimes ! lol ^_^

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America