Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Recipes: Eggplant Parmigiana

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 11, Views: 125
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

w_r_ranch

w_r_ranch
Colorado County, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 18, 2013
6:38 AM

Post #9488333

Vegetable oil (for frying)
Eggplant
All-purpose flour
Eggbeaters or eggs well beaten
Italian breadcrumbs
Spaghetti sauce
Mozzarella cheese. Grated
Romano cheese, grated

This recipe is really a 2 person job, at least till the frying is done…

Start by peeling the eggplant and slice into 1/4-inch thick slices.

Preheat your deep-fryer to 350 degrees.

Coat each side of the eggplant with the flour and dip the eggplant into the eggbeaters (better than well beaten eggs) to coat both sides. Then take your bread crumbs and do the same to coat each side.

Once the oil is hot, put the eggplant in the hot oil and fry until golden brown.

Once all of the eggplant has been fried, get a rectangular baking pan and start the layering by adding the spaghetti sauce to the bottom of the pan, then the eggplant, more sauce, then a layer Mozzarella & Romano cheese. Continue to build layers until you have reached the top of the pan. Top off with more sauce, mozzarella and grated Romano

Place the eggplant into a 350 degree oven and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cheese on top just starts to brown. Enjoy!!!

Thumbnail by w_r_ranch   Thumbnail by w_r_ranch   Thumbnail by w_r_ranch   Thumbnail by w_r_ranch
Click an image for an enlarged view.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2013
8:52 AM

Post #9493096

Yummy, Thanks for your recipe
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2013
7:07 AM

Post #9494245

Eggplants and okra are 2 veggies that I'm determined to try this year. I have the plants in the ground and am saving good recipes for both. I'll add yours to the list for eggplant.
Jo-Ann

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9494527

jomoncon, okra is delicious breaded & fried also, do you have a good recipe for them?
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2013
7:22 AM

Post #9495503

I don't have a recipe for the okra. If you have one, I'd love it.
Jo-Ann

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2013
9:54 AM

Post #9495642

Jo-Ann I dip them in eggs and just toss them in seasoned flour ( garlic powder,onion powder, S & P paprika) I fry them in canola oil in my cast iron frying pan til golden brown. Maybe someone will have another recipe for them??
Christine
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2013
8:26 AM

Post #9496644

w r ranch, I do so hate to get the deep fryer out--but eggplant parmigiana is one of my faves to order in a good Italian restaurant. I guess I really must try it. You seem to cook in large quantities. Does this freeze well? Thanks so much for the recipe!
~ pen

w_r_ranch

w_r_ranch
Colorado County, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 25, 2013
9:46 AM

Post #9496755

Yes pen, we do cook in large quantities & it freezes very well.

With foods like eggplant parmigiana, or lasagna for that matter, we simply allow the finished product cool/chill in the refrigerator for a couple of hours... this allows it to 'set up' for near-perfect slicing. My wife then freezes it overnight & then the next morning we vacuum pack the individual servings.

When needed, simply drop the bags into boiling water for 40 minutes or so & enjoy a 'fresh' Italian meal at home!!! Best of all, cleanup is easy - just your dinner plates & silverware!!!
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2013
4:22 PM

Post #9497116

Hey, wr ranch, I looked up Colorado County on the map to see how likely it would be that I could ever drop by the ranch for one of those fresh Italian meals. I didn't think I would know that part of the state, but OMG, you are near my forebears stomping grounds. My grandfather was one of the Baca family band members, my great-grandfather was Frank Baca, the leader. Great Uncle Gil Baca still performed around that area until his recent death. Have you been around those parts long enough to know who they were? We still have family reunions occasionally in Fayetteville. ~pen

w_r_ranch

w_r_ranch
Colorado County, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2013
5:56 AM

Post #9497685

[quote="Pennzer"]Have you been around those parts long enough to know who they were? We still have family reunions occasionally in Fayetteville. ~pen[/quote]

We haven't been here that long, pen... We are about 45 miles from Fayetteville, so if you know that you're going to be in the area, give us a shout. I'll even make some homemade Italian bread to go with it!!!

This message was edited Apr 26, 2013 7:59 AM
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2013
7:55 AM

Post #9497834

wrr, cool deal! I'll stop in La Grange and pick us up some kolaches for dessert. Wanna post your recipe for that Italian bread? Love all the recipes you have posted. I have copied and saved all of them. Thanks!
~ pen

w_r_ranch

w_r_ranch
Colorado County, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2013
8:47 AM

Post #9497872

[quote="Pennzer"]Wanna post your recipe for that Italian bread? Love all the recipes you have posted. I have copied and saved all of them. Thanks!
~ pen[/quote]

Here you go:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1309329/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America