Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Recipes: Roasted Tomato Spaghetti Sauce

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 15, Views: 243
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

w_r_ranch

w_r_ranch
Colorado County, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 18, 2013
7:33 AM

Post #9488408

Wash the tomatoes then cut them in half length-wise and then remove the seeds.

Arrange them in layers in a large roasting pan, skin side down. For each layer, spritz with a decent quality olive oil, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons chopped garlic, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or more to taste), 2 tablespoons oregano, 2 tablespoons thyme, (you may substitute Italian herb seasoning), and 1 cup of chopped onions. Depending on the size & variety of your tomatoes, you will get about 5 layers into a roasting pan.

Roast for about 1 hour and 30 minutes at 350 degrees, or until skins start to wrinkle

Let them cool a little, then remove and discard the skins (they should just pinch off at this point. Put the tomato meat into an 8 quart pot.

Crush tomatoes using a hand-held mixing stick, until chunky.

Add 1 pound of cooked Italian sausage and 1 cup of wine (red or white).

Adjust your spices to suit your taste (we add about 2 teaspoons of crushed red pepper at this point).

Simmer for about 45 minutes and you're ready to eat!!! Two roasting pans will yield about 7 quarts of finished sauce. Enjoy!!!

Thumbnail by w_r_ranch   Thumbnail by w_r_ranch   Thumbnail by w_r_ranch   Thumbnail by w_r_ranch   Thumbnail by w_r_ranch
Click an image for an enlarged view.

w_r_ranch

w_r_ranch
Colorado County, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 18, 2013
7:34 AM

Post #9488409

And the finished product...

Thumbnail by w_r_ranch
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2013
9:10 PM

Post #9490289

w r ranch, about how many lbs tomatoes do you use? How do you store and preserve that much sauce? Only 1 lb sausage for all that sauce?? Sounds and looks yummy, and I might be getting a lot of tomatoes from my food co-op.

Anyone here participate in Bountiful Baskets co-op? I just did it for the first time, and I'm pretty well pleased with my freezer full of 28 lbs of blanched fresh asparagus. I am rich in asparagus!

Thanks for the great pix of your tomato sauce. ~ pen
LilyToes
Ouray, CO
(Zone 4a)

April 19, 2013
11:38 PM

Post #9490362

To me, a good timato sauce isn't possible without a hint of sherry and/or red wine, and balsamic vinegar. Those two added ingrediants send you straight into heaven. I also enjoy at least 1 cup of FRESH tarragon and cream. Blend it all up in the blender, and wowza.

Love your recipe!!

This message was edited Apr 20, 2013 12:43 AM

w_r_ranch

w_r_ranch
Colorado County, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2013
8:49 AM

Post #9490716

[quote="Pennzer"]w r ranch, about how many lbs tomatoes do you use? [/quote]

I'm not quite sure, to be honest with you. If I had to guess, I'd say about 20 or so... I simply start by filling 2 roaster pans heaping full & then start. We grow a lot of tomatoes here & give most of them to our older neighbors/friends. Attached is a link for a picture of a typical day's harvest...

[quote="Pennzer"]How do you store and preserve that much sauce? Only 1 lb sausage for all that sauce?? Sounds and looks yummy, and I might be getting a lot of tomatoes from my food co-op.[/quote]

My wife portions it out & then quick freezes it prior to vacuum packing it for long term freezing. It will keep for a couple of years.

We only use a small amount of homemade Italian sausage for 'seasoning'. We can always cook additional sausage, depending on our meal that day.

I'm envious of your asparagus... Getting a bed prepared is on my bucket list of things to accomplish this year!!!

Thumbnail by w_r_ranch
Click the image for an enlarged view.

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2013
6:58 AM

Post #9496521

I'm envious of the asparagus, too. I would like to make pickled asparagus, but it is very costly around here. I have a small patch, but we eat it the minute it gets tall enough.

Seems like your sauce would make a good pizza sauce, too. Nice recipe. I have done similar just to freeze.
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2013
8:31 AM

Post #9496652

Does anyone participate in the Bountiful Baskets food co-op? I got 28 lbs of thin, young asparagus for $27! Check it out...bountifulbaskets.com. Register and explore the site. It costs nothing unless you actually sign up for a pickup. It is a national, non-profit program--all done by volunteers. ~pen
LilyToes
Ouray, CO
(Zone 4a)

April 26, 2013
7:01 AM

Post #9497783

Hmm,
I checked it out but it was only gift arrangements? Still, nice website.
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2013
8:37 AM

Post #9497865

Lily, so sorry. I gave you the wrong site. It is...
http://bountifulbaskets.org
~ pen

LilyToes
Ouray, CO
(Zone 4a)

April 26, 2013
12:43 PM

Post #9498116

Awesome! I just signed up.
Thanks for turning us on to this!
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2013
9:50 PM

Post #9498588

Lily, I've just done this once--got a regular basket and also a special offering of asparagus. They had 25# of Roma tomatoes last week, but I knew I wouldn't have time to put them up. LMK how it goes if you participate.
~ pen
LilyToes
Ouray, CO
(Zone 4a)

April 27, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9498886

Are the baskets very big? The website doesn't explain too much. It appears that you must 'purchase' the package on Sundays/Mondays only, then pick up Saturdays.
But it doesn't state what sort of size you're looking at for the $15 dollars. Hmm...

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2013
4:45 PM

Post #9499267

I think I love this idea a lot. But, because i haven't joined yet, I can't see all of the site. My Oregon city isn't listed yet, but maybe eventually. What a wonderful idea!!
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2013
8:12 PM

Post #9499382

beebonnet, you might look for towns near you but in a different county. Look on the state list for that county. Go ahead and register--it costs nothing and you will be able to see the whole site. Also, look each week for your county. Ours is not always listed--in fact I went to a town 20 miles away when I participated.

Lily, the 'regular' basket fills one of those round plastic laundry baskets. I shared one with my neighbor, and there was plenty for both of us--but neither of us has family. A regular basket in our county is $20. You can get organic by paying an additional $10. Regarding terminology, you do not order--you subscribe (one week at a time), and you do not pay, you make a contribution. You must bring a container, because they will keep your basket to reuse.

Our basket contained greens, tomatoes, cuckes, carrots, poblano peppers, bananas, little mandarin oranges and very small apples, blackberries, mushrooms--maybe more that I can't remember. Most of it was good, but the greens (Romaine and spinach) was a little wilted. I think one of the bananas was a plantain (cause it never got ripe), and there was also a zucchini.

~ pen

LilyToes
Ouray, CO
(Zone 4a)

April 30, 2013
5:08 PM

Post #9503257

Wow, that's a terrific mix of veggies and fruits! I forgot to sign up this last Sunday-Monday. So I'll have to wait till next week since apparently you can only contribute then.

w_r_ranch

w_r_ranch
Colorado County, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 26, 2013
8:49 AM

Post #9534481

Making another big batch of sauce today as we need to start processing our tomatoes & onions. We will be leaving out the sausage on this batch & just can it instead of freezing it... These will be distributed to our neighbors.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America