Photo by Melody

Seed Germination: Are my coleus seedlings ready to be transplanted yet?

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 2, Views: 65
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
look_alive
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2013
12:47 PM

Post #9488728

I posted this in the coleus forum, but not a lot of action there. Maybe you guys and gals can help me.

I germinated several different coleus varieties a little over a month ago (March 10th) and here they are today (pics attached). They seem a little leggy, but I at least managed not to kill them from damping off, like so many of my others over the years. I rotate the trays daily so they don't lean to one side toward the window. (I wish I had a better light source.)

I'm wondering if these are too small to begin transplanting? Or have i waited too long? I don't want to wait until the roots are so tangled that I kill them, but I also don't want to disturb them prematurely. I'm thinking about going from these into trays of 12. Once they get a little larger, I'll harden them off and they'll go outside. I wish I had started a few months earlier than I did... had no idea it would take this long to get seeds going. Luckily, where I live coleus will thrive outside well into November, so I will hopefully get to enjoy them for a decent amount of time.

So, what should I do? Pot 'em up now, or just let 'em hang out for a little longer?

Thumbnail by look_alive   Thumbnail by look_alive   Thumbnail by look_alive
Click an image for an enlarged view.

CLScott
Calgary
Canada

April 19, 2013
4:14 PM

Post #9489982

Those are babies yet, but I wonder if they are getting enough light?
They need to grow several sets of true leaves before you transplant them to outdoors.
You might try transplanting some into other trays as they seem somewhat crowded.
After a few sets of true leaves are there----they probably will need pinching to make them bushy.

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

April 23, 2013
10:20 PM

Post #9495216

They need 2 sets of true leaves before you transplant them. I would then pot them into a 6-pack (Walmart) These are 1.5" sq. little pots attached together. That is what I use. In a larger pot, too much moisture since they seem to resent that.

Since you live in Florida, can't you harden them off now and bring them in at night if too cold so they will become sturdier with better light.

I think you can transplant a few with the first set of true leaves. Their roots will be less tangled then. You have so many that it is worth a try.

I used to grow them years ago and found that they are sensitive to overwatering.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America