Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

April 18, 2013
5:22 PM

Post #9488997

I don't know if this is the right forum for my question but I'll start here and maybe someone will guide me to the right forum. I am 75 years old and my legs don't work any more. I do all my gardening from a Medical Scooter. My problem is weed control. I don't like to use chenicals around my good plants so I am mostly left with pulling them out. My gardens are large and from the scooter I can't reach out to those weeds that are in the middle.. If I lean over to far my scooter wants to turn over since is is a cheap 3 wheeler from the Medicare people and it does tip easily. Once I am down I can not get back up without help. So I am asking for suggestions as to what tool can be used while seated> I have tried hoes and they tend to be heavy and don't do a good job from a seated level. Hand tools just don't have enough reach. I thought about the little flame throwers but I have no room for a propane tank on my scooter. Anybody got any suggestions? I'll check back here soon. Thanks
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 18, 2013
7:04 PM

Post #9489104

Fire around someone who is not able to get up without help should not even be considered. I would think a special light weight sharp hoe would just about be as good as you could get. Not perfect I know, but then with limited mobility I don't know of anything else that would be better, the light weight hoes have the advantage of being easy to handle, but that also limits there ability to chop weeds of any size so they have to be kept sharp. You will probably have to look in a specialized garden tool catalog to find they type you need.
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

April 18, 2013
7:37 PM

Post #9489132

Thanks Seedfork, I looked at some special weeding tools and iit looks like the rakes are at a bad angle to use from a seated position. Many of the other choices are to heavy for me to use. There is a 3 tined fork-like hoe made for women that is light weight and so far that looks like my best bet. I'll keep looking and maybe someone else will have an answer.
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2013
8:00 PM

Post #9489152

I have a 3 tined one one side/flat hoe like blade on the other side short handled (goes from 2 to 4 feet) that works really well for me. it is also very lightweight. unfortunately I bought it at a yard sale so could not tell you where to get one, but it sounds like what you are looking at. I have to do a lot sitting down and it is easy to use.

a flamethrower would be way cool but not very selective! lol
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

April 19, 2013
7:48 AM

Post #9489505

Hey Risingcereek,
Thanks for your imput. Does you rake have any kind of brand on it so I mighrt be able to find one? Sounds like it might be just what I need/
George
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

April 19, 2013
8:08 AM

Post #9489526

Does this tool look like the one you have?

Thumbnail by OldWrangler
Click the image for an enlarged view.

risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2013
11:10 AM

Post #9489681

that looks exactly like it.
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

April 19, 2013
12:56 PM

Post #9489767

Well, that narrows it down. Reviews on this tool are not wonderful. They said the tool breaks at the end (the weld broke) when trying to use it in heavy clay. Have you had any problem wwith yours?
fordpickup
Clinton, IN

April 19, 2013
6:51 PM

Post #9490164

What about laying newspapers or cardboard down and covering it with mulch. Fred
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2013
8:36 PM

Post #9490270

I dont take very good care of things sometimes, but have had this one for a few years with no issues. the soil here sucks, goes from decomposed granite in some places to clay in others. have to do lots of mulching. I will go out tomorrow and look for the name on it, maybe a different brand, or maybe just luck. also I am not very strong if that might make a difference.
kc
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

April 20, 2013
7:22 AM

Post #9490612

How about this? Anyone ever use one of these? It is battery operated electric weed destroyer and works with 3-5 seconds of heat. Kills to the root. Sounds good. I may try it. Ad says it is about 19" long bit I may be able to get to all my weeds with this. Sounds effortless.

Thumbnail by OldWrangler
Click the image for an enlarged view.

risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2013
10:16 AM

Post #9490803

effortless is good. I cant find a name anywhere on the one i have. it used to be red but is so faded it isnt even pink anymore. at least it doesnt have "made in china" stamped on it anywhere
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

April 20, 2013
4:02 PM

Post #9491072

You are so right about the Made in China. We have so many hispanics in this area frequently the product from China will say "Hecho in China" like the Mexican stuff does. I really try to avoid their products especially foodstuffs. Those are not clean people and really don't care if they poison a few Americans and their dogs. Thanks for looking. I saw this one online in Sears. I may order one. Thanks
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2013
5:42 PM

Post #9491191

I so agree with you. China is slowing poisoning us with all their unclean ways. I avoid them like the plague
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

April 21, 2013
8:52 AM

Post #9491830

And those sneaky Chinamen are sending products that are assembled and the packageing say things like "distributed in USA" or some other fraudulent way. Some times the item is Chinese but the package is made here so it's labeled made in USA but that is only the packaging.label. I heard there was another dog food recall for salmonella and that may be from China . I haven't seen the details.
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2013
9:06 AM

Post #9491845

how about the shrimp-for human consumption sold in our markets-that are feed human feces... so very disgusting
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2013
3:05 PM

Post #9493516

Are you familiar with Kogee (sp) beef? Grown in China but sold here in Walmart. We raise our own beef but one day I happened to see small label on a package of beef. I asked the meat mgr. and he said it has been being sold for a long time in this country and by many stores. Thats probably why we don't get any decent price for our beef. Makes me sick.
Bonnie
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2013
7:19 PM

Post #9493856

eeww i cannot imagine buying anything to eat that came from china, not for me, my dogs, nothing.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2013
6:24 PM

Post #9495008

>> Kogee (sp) beef? Grown in China but sold here in Walmart.

Bogus! Trying to sound like Kobe beef from Japan - VERY pricey.

OldWrangler,
>> Some times the item is Chinese but the package is made here so it's labeled made in USA but that is only the packaging.label.

No joke.

I was helping install some box-labelling equipment at a CT auto-parts distributer and one manager was making his case for why they didn't need a database field for "Country of Origin". He held up a Malaysian spark plug and one of their printed boxes. He put the spark plug in the box and said "Assembled in USA. 'Assembled' is the same as 'Made', right?"

Pfffttt . The parent company mandated more-honest labeling, but I seldom believe what I read in packaging since that day.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America