Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Insect and Spider Identification: ewww what is this thing?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 22, Views: 190
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jannich
Andalusia, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2013
9:33 AM

Post #9489598

Hello folks,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this picture.These things are in the veggie,they don't crawl,no legs but roll themselves in a complete circle.I have never seen anything like it.Any help appreciated.I don't want to kill them if there a good bug.

Jan

Thumbnail by jannich
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

April 19, 2013
9:54 AM

Post #9489625

This looks more like a larva of a long-horned wood-boring beetle than anything else I can think of - what were the exact circumstances of your finding it?
kittens2211
Elkmont, AL

June 20, 2013
10:57 AM

Post #9566319

I posted yesterday to ask an identification of a 1/4 pure white worm-like thingy invading all my container plants. They appear to come from the ground up into my plants and there seems to be thousands(literally) of them in each infected container.
They eventually eat the roots of my live plants.
I can not see any head or difference in one end to the other. they move but don't appear to actually crawl...as of now I am baking the soil that they are in.
Can anyone help me with this?
Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

June 20, 2013
3:22 PM

Post #9566699

@kittens2211 - Might be larvae of fungus gnats - common pests in potted plants with overly wet soil...
kittens2211
Elkmont, AL

June 22, 2013
10:00 AM

Post #9568608

local county agent and local pest control company that I spoke with have never seen anything to this magitude. I have 50/60 containers involved and all have thousands of these things. I have been emptying the containers and baking the soils. Plan to talk with horticulturist at local botanical gardens on Monday.
Temps here are in 80s 90s...so no at all wet. I found on a purchased plant in the root system yellow/orange bb sized things that was semi-hard on outside and when I burst it, it was very moist on inside. Could this be the incubation for the larvae/worms?
When we solve this, I will post. Thanks, Flapdoodle, all help appreciated.
Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

June 22, 2013
2:09 PM

Post #9568833

Need to see images of the cyst-like objects. Very unlikely to be related to the worm-like critters...
kittens2211
Elkmont, AL

June 22, 2013
11:50 PM

Post #9569435

I would post pics, except I am totally unversed in that process...May get my daughter to do that for me...would like to should single ones and then a pile from one of my containers showing just the mass amounts of them.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9570973

The yellow/orange BB sized balls sound like Osmocote...a slow release fertilizer used by nurseries and homeowners as it is especially easy to use in containers.

http://www.everris.com/Home/Ornamental-Horticulture/Products/Brand.aspx/Specialty-Fertilizers/CRF/Osmocote-Exact/Osmocote-Exact-Mini
kittens2211
Elkmont, AL

June 25, 2013
9:53 AM

Post #9572594

I have been advised to use Pyrethrin on my containers and grounds underneath them. This is suppose to be environmentally safe..Is this true? and what would you recommend, if not.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2013
10:26 AM

Post #9572642

Yes,it is an environmentally safe pesticide...it is made from the Pyrethrum Daisy.

http://www.pyrethrum.com/About_Pyrethrum.aspx
kittens2211
Elkmont, AL

June 28, 2013
4:22 PM

Post #9577591

I have researched beneficial nematodes. Would this be a safe and effective long term answer to my problems. I have never used nematodes and am hesitant.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2013
12:27 PM

Post #9582051

IMHO, it is better to get a correct diagnosis before trying to solve the problem. Otherwise you wont know how to prevent the occurrence.
kittens2211
Elkmont, AL

July 1, 2013
12:54 PM

Post #9582089

I know. I have tried horticulturist from local botanical garden, county ext agent, online formums and local pest control. several ideas but nothing concrete but they agreed that pyrethrins and nemantodes would killed whatever they are. Most think a larvae from some thing or other...but I had house the worms in air containers and they never turn into anything else. I had never seen any signs out side that the thousands of them out there in my 60 or so containers have turned into anything else. They are just worms.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2013
1:15 PM

Post #9582113

You could possibly use the contact info in the link below. It is for Auburn Univ. dept of Entomology...one of the things they do is identify insects. Perhaps they can ID from pictures in an e-mail with background info on stuff like the first time they showed up...etc.

http://www.aces.edu/dept/plantdiagnosticlab/
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2013
2:54 PM

Post #9582262

Look up vine weevil larvae and see if that is what you have. They feed on roots, love containers and nematodes would be the way to go with those.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2013
3:00 PM

Post #9582270

That looks like a winner SteadyCam

http://www.bugladyconsulting.com/Articles/weevil deeds article NMpro.pdf
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2013
3:14 PM

Post #9582301

What about it, kittens? Is this what you have?
kittens2211
Elkmont, AL

July 3, 2013
11:34 AM

Post #9584910

Sorry to be late answering...the holidays...I believe that we have the answer...thanks for alll your help. I have nematodes on the way asap.
Will post results...
kittens2211
Elkmont, AL

July 9, 2013
8:42 AM

Post #9592831

Ok, I received and put out my nematodes...so far no results..but it has just been 3/4 days...later update
kittens2211
Elkmont, AL

July 11, 2013
12:01 AM

Post #9594854

I put about 2 dozen of these things in a jar with soil and some live roots and air holes...they never turn into anything else...
they should, shouldn't they?
kittens2211
Elkmont, AL

July 17, 2013
3:58 PM

Post #9602733

Wanted everyone to know that my plants have all starting growing, so, let's cross our fingers...nematodes worked!!!!!!!!!!
kittens2211
Elkmont, AL

July 20, 2013
2:47 PM

Post #9606316

Boo hoo hoo...Nothing has worked. Everything is once again filled with these worms.
I talked with M Gibson, Huntsville Botanical Gardens Plant CareTaker, he things that they may be root weevil larvae. Maybe. But I thought that larvae turned into something else. I am confused. I have tried pyrethrin, nematodes and Neem oil...several times each, in pots and all the ground areas even close to my garden.

Anyone have a suggestion about killing these things. I am to the point where I thing I will hjust pile everything, containers, plants soil and worms, in a pile and throwing gas on them and set them afire.

LOL...
kittens2211
Elkmont, AL

August 12, 2013
12:04 PM

Post #9628562

I have basically gotten the worms under control. See some in different containers occasionally.
Does anyone know how to keep fire ants from building in containers. Yes. another container problem. When I find them I use the neem oil on the container and then I guess they move to another. So far, they are only effecting the roses.
Thanks for all your help with the worm/larvae problem. I plan to treat the whole yard with nematodes in the fall.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America