What's for dinner? (Part 44)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1303798/

It's April but still it's still cool (and downright cold) in a few places, but spring is definitely ready to spring. So what's cooking at your place?

Thumbnail by Terry
Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

thanks for the new thread Terry! Had a great blackened chicken pasta for lunch (out). I think it had a whole fist of garlic in my serving. (Which was enough for 3 dinners!) Dinner is cabbage & beef. Kitchen will be another month I think. Cabinets will be ready in 2wks. Tile guy comes Mon.

Tam

Dahlonega, GA

Nope , no kitchen inspiration . Johnny hasn't eaten a decent portion of anything for several months , so decided to fix some of his favorites . Even if they didn't match , he ate a decent amount of some favorites . He wont even finish a slaw dog and he loves them . UGH ! I don't eat weenies .He did eat what amounts to two chicken breasts and a small salad . He would eat corn on cob for breakfast .Biscuit and cream gravy is a desert for him .At least he could mix and match however he chose .
Last night it was shrimp scampi and linguine ,Garlic toast ,fruit salad with cottage cheese and sliced tomato .He ate a half a cup and sliced tomato .

Columbus, OH

I just had more Invisalign work, so I am having mushy mac and cheese and mushy broccoli. Bah. Dh ordered a sub and fries and ate them in front of me.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

We went over to DS's and he made ravioli with creamy seafood sauce and lobster chunks, with salad and strawberry shortcake. The ravioli and sauce come from a small Italian products place nearby, but everything was very tasty.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Just sliced up a bunch of strawberries, and baked some Bisquick shortbread. (Yeah, I know it's not real shortbread, but it's what we ate while I was growing up and I became accustomed to it.) My sis is SUPPOSED to bring home some Reddi-Whip... I'd rather make my own whipped cream, but the Reddi-Whip lasts longer and our local strawberry season will happen soon...

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

digger, is Johnny not feeling well?

Missouri City, TX

Digger,
I'd have the troops at Bubba's ship a couple of burgers for Johnny and you, but don't think they would survive the trip - LOL.

Low fifties today so a good excuse to make a big crockpot of chili for dinner tonight. DS showed up for breakfast unexpectedly at 5 of 7 this morning just as I was getting out of the shower, so we've had to hit the ground running. Time for some R & R on the computer!

Dahlonega, GA

Thanks for asking P N but he's lost his appitite this last year . Very rare that he will eat a full meal . He doesn't even finish a rib-eye . Making an appt for him tomorrow and I'm going with him to be sure he tells the Dr. about his sins .
Bubba , you got that right . If I picked up the mail , the burgers wouldn't make it to the house . We had a nice , slow thip home and stopped at Don's in Louisiana for cracklins and boudin . That is a regular for us . We sure did enjoy meeting up with you and DW , and Gym Girl for lunch and great visit . I'll let you order my burgers for me , just right ! Thanks for taking the time out from a Sunday to visit .Gym Girl might make it out here in June if her cousin, Wanda, can get her to take off a day or so .We may have mentioned it , don't remember .
It's been chilly the last two nights , so may liberate a pint of chili from the freezer for tonight .

Sally, what's boudin?

My sis was very late getting home from work (with the Reddi-Whip) last night. I awakened about midnight to make a pit stop, and then made a strawberry shortcake for myself. Decent, but the strawberries could have had more flavor.

I haven't even been over to the apple tree area where I planted strawberries last year, to see if any are thriving. But... it will be strawberry season around here pretty soon, either way.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hope Johnny feels better soon, Sally.

We are on our way back to Atlanta shortly. I've been off feed myself as a side effect from skin treatments. Now realizing the low energy and flu-ish feeling is probably related too. The last dose was on Friday so hopefully I'll feel better as the medication clears my system.

Dahlonega, GA

Boudin is a sausage made in Louisiana from pork and rice . Other meats can be used or mixed , such as alligator, shrimp ,beef, chicken , anything you can think of in the way of meat . Pork is the most common , crawdads are good too .
I think Johnny is going to just have to make up his mind to change some of his lifestyle to get back to better health .

Well, I'm certainly a Believer in a healthier lifestyle, mainly diet (because I HATE exercise but I WILL walk).

Dahlonega, GA

Bad hips ,knees , and back . Can't walk or stand long . Best to lose a bunch of weight , then it would be better . I need to eat more raw veggies .

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

And eat less boudin;)

Blue cheese and apple stuffed bacon burgers, with baked beans and butternut squash for us tonight! Yum.

Dahlonega, GA

Two sausages a year isn't too much . Being going on 75 and ex skater might have more to do with it along with gaining weight from quitting smoking . EH ?

No, I'm sure two sausages in a year wouldn't be a problem. But congrats for not smoking. That's a big step.

Columbus, OH

I hate exercise as well, but I feel better when I exercise, and I need to do 30 min of weight bearing exercise-lift weights, etc. 2-3 times a week for bone density, so I don't end up four feet tall when I'm 75.

We are having grilled calamari with lemon and garlic, saffron brown rice, and grilled asparagus. I will have spinach/zucchini patties instead of calamari.

Dahlonega, GA

Last night ended up a chef's salad with chopped chicken breast , dried cranberries , crumbled bacon and garlic crutons .Will make a grocery run for corn chips and have the chili tonight .

I have a luncheon to do on Wednesday and we have a huge wedding weekend kicking off on Friday. The groom is the son of my oldest and dearest friend. He is also a former cooking student. Our D.C. kids are flying in Friday morning and staying through Monday. This will be the first time we've seen them since they announced they were expecting and it will be the last time until baby comes. We're very much looking forward to spending time with the family all together. DD says she is dreaming of eating my food. That puts on the pressure.

There are a couple of homemade sausage patties defrosting. Each is the size of a large burger. We'll have grilled sausage tortas and a big salad.

Wow, Laurel... busy time, and the groom-to-be sounds almost like family too!

Will the DC kids be having your first grandchild?

I'm bust rendering several pieces of free-range pork fat from the freezer. It will be a gift for a friend who has decided to learn to bake, and bought CRISCO, OMG!

Darius, do you find that pork fat is a good substitute for Crisco? My favorite cookies that my mother used to make call for Crisco and I'd love to find a more natural substitute. A friend who can't get Crisco in France suggested coconut oil.

Nice gift, Darius. No this will be our second grandchild but unfortunately we never see the oldest, a grandson. The groom is very much like another one of our kids. I know over the years I've posted about him coming home to visit from coege and then career and calling me to see if I had time to get together and cook with him. Good thing he was attentive. The bride can't cook at all!

Laurel, well congrats-to-be anyway!

Leslie, I have a few friends who substitute coconut oil for Crisco, but it makes a thinner batter so you need to compensate. Crisco has been nasty stuff for years (hydrogenated) and the changes Smuckers made when the bought them out a few years back sound good but in fact are even worse for our health.

Pork fat that is rendered from the fat around the kidneys, called leaf lard, makes the flakiest pie crusts!

I find nothing wrong with using natural fats from grass-fed animals, and in fact I believe they are good for us. Recent research shows our brains require about 70% of their nutrition from good animal fats. I won't even eat the meat, much less fats (including butter) from grain fed meats because all the toxins accumulate in the fat.

I'm glad to hear your take on Crisco. I don't mind natural fats either, and duck fat and goose fat are supposed to be positively healthy!

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh lard makes the very best crusts! I was totally convince by pigs-in-a-blanket of all things. :-)

Laurel - congratulations! And so exciting for you too.

I was still hungry after dinner (vegan stuffed pepper) so am baking some sweet potato fries. Almost forgot I could do so.

Tam

I hear ya on duck fat... I'm trying to save enough pennies to buy a gallon! Have never had goose fat. Geese are not big sellers in the US; seems everyone wants a fast grower for big bucks.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Tonight was a hot chicken salad with a nice fresh Romaine salad.

Rooting in the chest freezer yesterday for pork fat to render, I found 3 pkgs. of the frozen faux crab cakes, and cooked (actually re-heated) for supper.

I'm anxiously awaiting fresh spring greens for salads!

Friday morning when we took the dog for a walk to get the papers DH mentioned that he'd love some dandelion greens sautéed in garlic with scrambled eggs for breakfast. So we collected some leaves from plants along our driveway and path and I cooked them up. Even though a lot of them already had flowers they were really good. A taste of spring, for sure!

We were going to a performance of "Swan Lake" this evening, staged by a Russian ballet company, so the friend who was attending it with us came over for dinner first and we had leftover chili and cornbread, to keep it simple. I added some garlic, sugar, and quatre épices to the chili and it was even better than the first time.

Columbus, OH

Grilling a lamb chop for DH to go with leftover sides...Israeli couscous, spinach salad, grilled asparagus, whole wheat and flaxseed banana bread.

Leslie, did you add the dandelion greens to the eggs, or just as a side?

I've been eyeing my abundance of dandelions as potential salads but need to use up the other greens I have first.

I sautéed them with garlic in olive oil and then added the eggs to the pan once the greens were wilted.

They might be a bit bitter for salads, but not if you mixed them with something else.

Actually, I had a salad last year of just the dandelion greens, dressed with EVOO and a good balsamic vinegar. Not too bitter at all.

I think they're more bitter after they've flowered, though, and most of mine have.

I try to pull the flower buds off of mine before they bloom and become seeds. I already have several hundred in my yard, and while they are great for pulling up mineral nutrients from the deep, I surely have enough already.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh I do enjoy your avatar today Darius!

LOL, Tam. Most won't "get it".... but that's okay!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.