CLOSED: It's time for the terns!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok here are all those tricky terns.

#1 --- Common?

#2 --- I was actually taking a picture of something else but saw this one in the background when I uploaded it (hence the reason it's terribly out of focus). It looks different than the other terns I saw out there, can anyone get an ID from this blurry photo? I am thinking Forester's in winter plumage, but that is just a guess.

#3, 4, 5 --- This is one of the large mixed groups I saw, and there are just so many different ones in there I struggled to keep up with trying to ID individuals in the field & started shooting photos to sort them out later. It was very overwhelming! The first photo is the original photo, and the second 2 are just zoomed in & brightened sections to view them better. I can ID the black skimmer, least terns, and dunlin in the photo, but the rest I can't be sure of. Thinking I see some common, royal, and Forester's in there though. Help! I can zoom in on different sections if it helps.

Thumbnail by rntx22 Thumbnail by rntx22 Thumbnail by rntx22 Thumbnail by rntx22 Thumbnail by rntx22
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

#1 - Royal Tern

#2 - Yep, winter Forster's

##3-5 - mostly Forster's, in various states of moult from winter to summer, but in #3, top left just below "..orized Use", there's a couple of Cabot's Terns*

* formerly a subspecies of Sandwich Tern, that's what they'll be listed as in your books unless they're very new. http://davesgarden.com/guides/birdfiles/go/3397/

Resin

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Haha my book is 11 years old.... I really need to get an updated one!! Never heard of Cabot's Tern. NEAT!!! Thanks very much!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.