Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Soil and Composting: What can I do with small bits of charcoal?

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 2, Views: 30
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 20, 2013
4:41 PM

Post #9491120

I have been clearing and burning small brush and have several piles of charcoal in small pieces an inch or less in diameter. The ash has all washed out. Nothing seems to grow on these piles. I am trying to reclaim this area and will till some when it dries. Should i just spread it out, or is there another use for it. It is too small to use for grilling. The soil is black, mostly clay. It will harden into solid lumps when it dries fully.

Herman

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2013
5:35 PM

Post #9491181

Read about "bio char" and use it anywhere. I put some charcoal around a Datura plant and it seemed to love it, which I was afraid would be toxic.
The charcoal after the ash is gone, is pretty much neutral and holds nutrients in the soil for slow release.
Sarah321
Milton, NH

April 21, 2013
7:40 PM

Post #9492551

We've got a wood stove, so I distributed hardwood charcoal pieces, same size as yours,on top of my shrub beds, they took over a year to breakdown. The pieces I mixed into my hot compost piles did break down.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America