Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Bloom of the Day Photos: April 21st, 2013: Cathedral Bells (Cobaea scandens) by dawndoll2

Communities > Forums > Bloom of the Day Photos
bookmark
Forum: Bloom of the Day PhotosReplies: 11, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2013
1:28 AM

Post #9491484

The Bloom of the Day for April 21st, 2013 was Cathedral Bells (Cobaea scandens).

View the bloom of the day here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/botd.php?date=2013-04-21

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2013
6:24 PM

Post #9492452

I just love this vine. Once I saw one that was so huge it covered a long and winding wooden structure top to bottom, end to end. It was amazing. The stems were thicker than ropes. And it was just covered in flowers in varying shades of purple. Of course I had to grow it but didn't have the space for it and it does get aggressive and grows so fast. I had to get rid of it when I could no longer keep it in check. Annie's Annuals sells them in 4 inch pots and in a month you nave a monster on your hands. LOL

Love your photo, dawndoll2. You sure captured its beauty!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2013
6:34 PM

Post #9492467

Actually Kell,

I didn't have much to say about this pic because some of the other pics showed the scale better. So many times tiny flowers are blown so big that I thought this was another one of them... ( sometimes a let down )

...actually after parusing through the photos it seems to be as large as a Sky Vine flower! That makes it special! This is one of those occasions for me,... that some of the other pictures brought me to the awareness of the beauty in it more then the one you chose...

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2013
7:22 PM

Post #9492533

Actually this flower is quite big. 3 1/2 to 4 inches across. And they hang so decoratively! Very noticeable in great abundance on the vine. It comes in white too, David. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/308173/s I begged for that seed pod I show there and grew out the seeds. Not to plant though. LOL. My house would be smothered. I always enjoy these "white" photos for I went to that nursery with a goof friend (another DG member) who has since moved away. She was my nursery buddy and we would have so much fun. This was taken on an excursion to Half Moon Bay (love that name), a delightful seaside little town with so many fun nurseries and plants to explore plus the sea to sit by and eat lunch.

I looked it up on Annie's Annuals. She says it will cover a 25 foot chain link fence in 1 season. I so believe it. It is a monster vine.

Glad you looked at all the photos, David. We are so lucky here that so many people share their best photos.

For me, I loved this one the best even more than all of mine! LOL But I sure enjoyed looking at all of the pictures! I do look at all the entries in a category before picking 1, sometimes it is so hard to settle on just one. Sometimes I save 1 or 2 more for later hilighting.

This photo of mine shows how festive it still looks after the showy big blooms fall off and the "saucer" part is left to still entertain. Can't ask for more than that in a plant. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/234848/

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2013
7:25 PM

Post #9492539

I forgot the Annies's Annual link. LOL
http://www.anniesannuals.com/plt_lst/lists/general/lst.gen.asp?prodid=269

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2013
5:07 AM

Post #9492805

Thanks for the info Kell. Wow do I like the white one and that first pic! Actually its celedon green and amazing! ( one of my favorite colors ) It has Lilly-like qualities to boot. Like Lillies on a vine...

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2013
5:19 AM

Post #9492814

Kell,

Check out the thread I just started "My friend Sue's gardens in DeLand" on the Florida forum.

I just took the pictures yesterday over there and the main one I think you would be interested in is the odd flourescent pink Poinsettia she has in the pot. The color is not enhanced and it grows in a horseshoe shape!

Each petal is edged in thin snow white piping.

I am determined to get one of the first cuttings when she grows it out more...Ha!

David

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2013
7:02 AM

Post #9492953

I love these but yes, they need a big area! I planted both colors together on the new trellis hubby built me when we first moved here in 2011, I wanted something that grew fast until the rose on the other end filled in. It delivered! This was taken in Aug., 2 months later it was coming down the other side and I started clipping wayward stems. It got nipped by frost in the winter so I decided to remove the monster. It was a fabulous show though and I loved the two colors together! I now have a rose coming over from the other side and a new clematis on the left.

Kell, you wrote "went to that nursery with a goof friend (another DG member) who has since moved away". What goofy friend was that? :-)

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2013
9:23 AM

Post #9493121

I had to go look again and you are right David, the bloom is greenish! LOL I love green flowers. I wonder if they turn more white as they get older. Sue will know! How did you know that I love poinsettias? Every Christmas season I can't wait to go see what new hybrids are making their debut. It is amazing how many different kinds there are now! I love yours too! Is it easy to propagate by cuttings? Looks like you have a great gardening friend there!

Patricia, Sue. She has moved to a beautiful house and town in Oregon and loves it! Her yard is huge and so beautiful! Your yard is looking good too!

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2013
9:45 AM

Post #9493139

PS Sue. Patricia was also my partner in crime. We would go to Pasta Moon for lunch a lot and share their meyer lemon parfait. The absolute best dessert I have ever had! So sinful! Her next visit we for sure must go there again.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2013
2:28 PM

Post #9493476

I thought it was her, I didn't remember she had moved, she collected brugs, lived in Pleasanton right? I so remember you telling me about Pasta Moon!
I don't remember the blooms turning any whiter.

This message was edited Apr 22, 2013 1:29 PM

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2013
3:18 PM

Post #9493536

Livermore. She just recently moved. Yes, she grows and hybridzes beautiful brugs.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bloom of the Day Photos Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
March 5th, 2007: Silk Tree (Albizia julibrissin) by cacti_lover dave 8 Aug 4, 2014 7:16 AM
March 1st, 2007: Bleeding Heart (Dicentra spectabilis) by dave dave 0 Mar 5, 2007 1:44 PM
March 2nd, 2007: Gerbera Daisy (Gerbera jamesonii) by kniphofia dave 1 Mar 6, 2007 3:21 AM
March 3rd, 2007: Corkscrew Vine (Vigna caracalla) by dave dave 4 Mar 13, 2007 5:53 PM
March 4th, 2007: Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus) by Gabrielle dave 0 Mar 5, 2007 1:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America