Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

April 21, 2013
4:21 AM

Post #9491537

I keep finding leaves in my yard that don't come from any trees I have. This one was on the ground this morning and I have looked at all my trees and nothing has a leaf like this. Somebody got a clue. Sorry I can't give you more to go on but I don't have anything else. Thanks as always.

Thumbnail by OldWrangler   Thumbnail by OldWrangler   Thumbnail by OldWrangler   Thumbnail by OldWrangler   Thumbnail by OldWrangler
Click an image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 21, 2013
5:14 AM

Post #9491566

That leaf is less common, almost diamond shaped. I don't know the proper shape name for that. Some mature Hedera ivy leaves are shaped like that but I don't know if this really matches. Is the leaf tough and leathery like a Hedera (English ivy)?

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2013
5:22 AM

Post #9491571

Does look like it could be a mature ivy leaf; most likely is Common Ivy Hedera helix.

Resin
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

April 21, 2013
5:29 AM

Post #9491574

Hi sallyg, There doesn't seem to be any Ivy growing around except for my Dutchman's Pipe and it's not that. I think this is a tree leaf and it is diamond shaped and a little leathery. But it is dried out some and yellow. That might make it more leathery. The leaf is certainly distinct but I don't have any more to go on as there are no tree with a leaf like that here." Is a puzzlement" (old line from the movie The King & I.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2013
5:55 AM

Post #9491598

Old (adult) Hedera helix is often found attached to the trunks and crown branches of mature trees, where it has climbed from being a groundcover. The tree appears clothed in green foliage on its trunk through the winter months. As older leaves turn yellow and are shed, they will travel quite a distance in the breezes from higher elevations - and possibly land in your yard.

That's what it looks like to me, too. I suspect a look upwards during a walk around the neighborhood will reveal this plant's presence.
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

April 21, 2013
6:58 AM

Post #9491682

Here are pictures of Hedera Helix and I don't see any resemblance to the leaf I have. I'm gonna look around again and see if I can find moore.

Thumbnail by OldWrangler   Thumbnail by OldWrangler         

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2013
7:44 AM

Post #9491744

There are certainly lots more images of Hedera helix available here on PlantFiles, and a voluminous amount around various Internet sites. Many look nothing like the two you've shown.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1637/

Hedera helix expresses its leaves across a diverse morphological realm, as likely do other Hedera sp. that I'm not familiar with but many others are. Your part of TX is probably home to several Ivy species, but likely none more common than English/Common Ivy.

More resources...

http://www.ivy.org/index.html
http://www.invasive.org/browse/subinfo.cfm?sub=3027
http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/h/hedhel/hedhel1.html
http://www.aphotoflora.com/af_hedera_helix_common_ivy.html

I see your leaf over and over again in this web perusal.

All of this is to say: that is a logical identification of your ONE unknown leaf. With no other information provided, this answer makes sense. If you are able to provide other information about this leaf and its origins - possibly based on clues provided here, or by observation in your environs - then further evaluation could be made and conclusions could be reached.
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

April 21, 2013
9:09 AM

Post #9491849

What about this leaf? Not exactly the same but pretty close. It came from an Erythrinia cristi-gali in the back yard where I had put what I thought was a freeze killed plant. Aparently it has come back to like. Not many leaves and they are kinda soft and flimsy not like the other that is kinda leathery. But they sure look close. I think this plant was a cutting from a neighbors Fireman's Cap tree. It may also be a Coralbean. Whatcha think?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2013
9:20 AM

Post #9491862

Watch and see how it yellows. If there are any leaves yellowing - but we also have , uh, tallow trees- candlestick trees, something like that. Could be traveling with the squirrels.
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

April 26, 2013
8:12 PM

Post #9498527

Well, the other leaf turned brown and wasn't anything like the the one that I found. It is very leathery and not dry at all. Sure wish I could find the tree or more leaves. I just don't know what is from. Still open for other guesses.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2013
9:58 PM

Post #9498589

See if you can find a Chinese Tallow tree around- their leaves seem morr thicker than most and the leaf is close to what you have there...
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

April 28, 2013
3:55 PM

Post #9500256

It really does look like a Tallow leaf and we do have some growing in this part of the county. I'll find a tree and see what the fallen leaves look like. The hunt is on.
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

April 29, 2013
8:39 AM

Post #9501123

I found a Tallow about 3 blocks away but there were no old leaves around it so I think the leaves must compost quickly after falling. New leaves are similarto mine but very soft and not like this leathery one I found. Here is the Tallow leaf and the other one. What do you think? Looks like the Tallow is more pointed and is certainly not leathery or stiff. The mystery continues...

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2013
9:46 AM

Post #9501196

Ok. Wish I were home... things keep ticklin my memory but I've been away too long. You would think if you keep finding them there would be something close- or a yard crew scattering them on the way to dispose of them...
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

April 29, 2013
7:19 PM

Post #9501934

I'm still hoping someone will nail it. I continue looking for another leaf like the first one but there just doesn't seem to be any. I'll keep looking.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2013
2:37 PM

Post #9503075

Give us a street to look at in Spring, TX.

With Google Earth, one can virtually walk by and ID just about anything growing there.
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

April 30, 2013
2:56 PM

Post #9503099

Viburnum Valley.
Hope that will help. The street is the 24000 block of Pine Canyon Dr. in Spring, TX 77380. I am at 24407 about the middle of this block on west side Let me know what you think

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2013
6:46 PM

Post #9503379

You might want to edit your post there - an exact address publicly posted might be an ad for trouble. Send it via Dmail next time for privacy.

I'll dial that one up and see what I can see - should be an interesting virtual tour.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 30, 2013
9:12 PM

Post #9503599

Ummm. i dont even know how to edit posts!

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2013
9:17 PM

Post #9503607

When you post, under your name in the thread will be a set of information in blue text - the post #, Edit, and Quote.

Take a click on any one of those, and see what happens. You can't break it...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America