Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Insect and Spider Identification: Identify black and yellow tree spider

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 1, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LadySoldier20

April 21, 2013
10:59 AM

Post #9491936

Can anyone please tell me what spider this is? We encountered it in mozambique a while ago. The residents tried to kill it by drowning it. I am a photographer and after about half an hour my mom called me to take a photo of the spider -so i removed it from the water and put it in a bottle so i could take a photo. After 15 minutes she and her male came back to life in the bottle so I took a photo of their belly's. The female has a red heart shape on her chest and the male has a yellow shape. After a while I set them free again. I would just really like to know what spider this is, and if they are poisonous or not? I can't find anything like it on the internet :(

PLEASE HELPP!!!

Thumbnail by LadySoldier20   Thumbnail by LadySoldier20
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

April 21, 2013
6:17 PM

Post #9492440

These spiders are the species Nephilengys cruentata (family Nephilidae) see http://www.flickr.com/photos/cesar_gracia/5143281468/ and http://dipode-vie.net/Arachnides/Nephilidae/Nephilengys/BestOf/Nephilengys%20cruentata%20F,%2020mm,%20Sao%20Paulo,%20010712.html
Native to Africa, they have been introduced to South America; they are harmless to humans.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America