Photo by Melody

Bird Identification: CLOSED: Even more terns!

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 2, Views: 13
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rntx22
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2013
12:53 PM

Post #9492016

So I took these next few photos just to confirm the chance I don't have a new bird (I need Caspian & Common terns)... pretty sure I don't have one, but very very hopeful!!!

#1 --- The largest terns --- are all Royal? Realllllly hoping that the guy on the left with the red-orange bill is Caspian, but I know it's a stretch. Fingers crossed.
And the smaller ones in there are all Forster's, including the one on the far right with the black stripe through the eye? (I am really hoping one is a common tern!)

#2-4 --- I recognize the Tricolored heron & Least Terns, but the bigger terns are Common or Forsters? I can't for the life of me tell them apart. Again, hoping for a common!!!!

# 5 The bigger one with the gray head? Can you tell from this angle?

I am so ready to be done sorting these terns. But I have a lot more photos to go!

Thumbnail by rntx22   Thumbnail by rntx22   Thumbnail by rntx22   Thumbnail by rntx22   Thumbnail by rntx22
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2013
3:14 PM

Post #9492175

#1 - yep, I'd agree with Royal for the big'uns. The smaller ones are probably all Forster's, but hard to be sure.

#2-4 - Forster's for certain with the ones still in winter plumage (that black eye mask is very distinctive, only Gull-billed is at all similar, and that has a stouter bill and different body shape); fairly certain the others are too, their legs look too long for Common.

#5 - the logn legs again make me think Forster's; it looks like it is probably an immature (1st or 2nd summer).

Resin
rntx22
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2013
3:53 PM

Post #9492222

Oh well, maybe I'll the common next time! Thanks.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America