CLOSED: Terns part 3

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here we go with some more terns.

#1 The two smallest on the bottom are Least terns; the top right is Black tern in winter plumage?? (Finger's crossed!!!) And again with the Common vs Forster's predicament for the largest one.

# 2 - 4 Is this Forsters? The tail doesn't seem long/forked enough, but I don't have any other guesses.

# 5 - This was shot later in the series, not sure if it's the same bird as in 2-4.

Thumbnail by rntx22 Thumbnail by rntx22 Thumbnail by rntx22 Thumbnail by rntx22 Thumbnail by rntx22
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Continuing that series.....

#6 - 8 Pretty sure these are all Forster's, but could be wrong!

# 9 -10 I'm getting cross eyed looking at all these terns. Are they the same as all the rest?

Thumbnail by rntx22 Thumbnail by rntx22 Thumbnail by rntx22 Thumbnail by rntx22 Thumbnail by rntx22
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

# 11-12

These last two are 2 terns that I got in the same frame. Compared side by side, they don't look like the same bird to me.

This is it for tonight, I'm getting a headache! Will post the remaining Terns tomorrow.

Thumbnail by rntx22 Thumbnail by rntx22
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

#1 - yep to Least and Black Terns. The larger on is a good bet for subadult Common, though not 100% certain.

#2-5 - yep, Forster's; a first-year bird (note the dark markings on the wings and tail corners). Immatures have shorter tail streamers.

# 6-10 - yep, Forster's; 6 and 9-10 probably 1st-winters again.

'11-12 - an immature Forster's; and probably an adult ditto.

Resin

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The black tern is a new one for me, hooray!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.