Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: Desperate! My Dwarf Buford Holly want produce Berries.

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 2, Views: 20
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
shewhoplants
Tifton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2013
6:41 PM

Post #9492471

I purchased 2 Dwarf Buford Holly 2.5 gal shrubs from Lowes 3yrs ago. Till this day I have not seen one berry. I then purchased 6 more, from Lowes, 2 years ago. Not seen any berries on these either. They were full of berries when I purchased them. What is wrong. They are in part sun. Do Buford Hollies need a male plant to make berries. I have heard they do not. Does someone in this cyber plant world know and can help me? Thanks.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

April 22, 2013
10:11 AM

Post #9493160

Sorry I have not heard of that type of holly by name, I have several holly's from bushes to tree's and all after a while got there berries with the exception of maybe 2 tree's,

I was about to give up on the Berries when that year I got the berries that the birds just love and ofcource, Christmas decorations too.
All my Hollies required male / female plants to get berries, I have 2 males to around half doze or more females so that must be why,
The little flowers are very difficult to see on passing and you really have to search for them but, I have to admit, even without the berries, the shrubs / trees are wonderful to look at especially the Variegated type and I now believe that there is a nice holly that has pure white colouring outlining the outer leaf shape. I've only seen a picture of that type.
I hope someone who knows your type of holly can help you much better than I can.
Good luck. WeeNel.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 27, 2013
7:47 AM

Post #9498870

Most Holly are male and female on separate plants. The females will usually produce some fruit, even if a male plant is not nearby, but will produce more reliably and a larger crop when there is a male nearby.
Ilex cornuta 'Burfordi' and the dwarf form are one of the hollys that will produce berries quite well even when there is no male nearby.

I suspect the plants are just getting used to the new location, though 2-3 years without fruit seems a long time.
Are they growing, and healthy? Not showing any nutrient deficiency? I know they are slow growing, but now is when you should see new leaves. The new leaves may be lighter in color for a while, then darken to the normal deep green. Part sun should be OK.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America