Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Cuke volunteers

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 3, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
milesdt
Pulaski, GA

April 21, 2013
8:14 PM

Post #9492591

I have 3 cucumber volunteers in my tomato bed. Either because I had cukes growing there last year, or more likely because I used my homemade compost that probably had rotten cukes thrown in last summer. Wondering if I should move the cukes or leave them to mature among the tomatoes. Also, if I had pumpkins growing near the cukes last year, what is the chance that these 3 plants will be weird "cukekins"?
lssfishhunter
Jonesville, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2013
6:32 AM

Post #9492900

If you are 100% sure of what kind of cuke seeds that you have been growing and they are open pollinated and there is no chance of any other kind of cuke seed getting mixed in, then I would move the cuke plants but be extremely careful because cukes do not like getting their roots disturbed and typically don't like being transplanted. Copy and paste the link about crossing between cukes and pumpkins: http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1996/8-23-1996/crosspol.html

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2013
7:31 AM

Post #9493002

Personally, I would not try to transplant the cucumbers. As fishhunter said, they do not like to have their roots disturbed.

I have had melons volunteer amongst tomatoes and both have done fine. I suggest you either pull out the cucumbers, or let them wonder through the tomato vines and see what you get.
SwallowFeather
Tiskilwa, IL

April 23, 2013
4:56 PM

Post #9494908

I've transplanted cukes; it's not so bad if you have tons more than you need, but if you want them all to live I wouldn't recommend it. (On average about half of mine lived.)

I would think cukes would do OK interplanted with tomatoes; the cukes won't compete with the tomatoes at all, and the tomatoes will shade the cukes some, but cukes are more shade-tolerant than most garden veggies and shade can even help them in high summer or during a drought.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America