Photo by Melody

Vegetable Gardening: Tomatillos in containers?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
peteyfoozer
Burns, OR

April 21, 2013
10:09 PM

Post #9492686

It always freezes here before my tomatillos are big enough to harvest. I started a couple from seed and one grew REALLY fast. It's in a 1 gal container and already has flowers. Will these do well in containers? It's another month at least before I can set things out and if it's happy in the greenhouse I would just as soon let them live in portable pots. If so, what size do you recommend?
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2013
3:17 AM

Post #9492743

I grow a lot of tomato's in 25 gallon tubs that cow feed comes in. You could try 5 gallon pails but I think you will be happier with the bigger size. Tomatillos get to be pretty big and are heavy bearers so they need a lot of good dirt for their roots to grow into.

I don't know how portable you want your container so I think of my gh I have a 15x20 concrete slab inside mine to work with so I put those big containers on those inexpensive mover dolly's. You can get these at Harbor freight for about 10 bucks on sale.

If you don't have cement to work with consider one of those tubs the horse people use I think they call them muck tubs you know the ones that have rope handles.Then you can moce by dragging or a hand truck,

Hope this was a help good luck
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2013
3:18 AM

Post #9492744

This message was edited Apr 22, 2013 3:38 AM
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2013
12:48 PM

Post #9493311

My tomatillos volunteer every year. Our season is long enough to harvest into October and most of November. The fruits don't seem damaged by light frosts. I am able to let plants sprawl around peppers or in the winter squash beds. Tomatillos are half the size of mature tomato plants but they branch a lot. I think a five gallon container would do fine. Mine don't produce until the weather cools off, then look out.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Click the image for an enlarged view.

peteyfoozer
Burns, OR

April 27, 2013
10:15 AM

Post #9499014

Perfect! I do have some huge tubs here I can use. They volunteer here also but our season isn't long enough for them to mature. Thanks for the info!
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2013
12:30 PM

Post #9499112

In a very short time I could build a tiny gh big enough to grow them under. The elevated temp will help mature them they love heat.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America