unknown little baby plants

Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

These were in a mixed succulent pot I picked up at the grocery store. I am curious, do they look like variegated yucca pups? Or am I way off base? :)

Thumbnail by kinym Thumbnail by kinym Thumbnail by kinym Thumbnail by kinym
Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

I couldn't tell you the name (agave? furcraea?) but they will most likely eat the other plants in that pot for lunch.

Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks! I will look that up. I already busted them out of the pot and stuck them in the ground. Immediately when I got home with them... :)

Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

Are any specific Furcraea tooth leafed? I'm still trying to find one like mine. Here they are in ground.

Thumbnail by kinym Thumbnail by kinym Thumbnail by kinym
Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

My best guess is Agave sisalana. Looking good!

Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks! So far so good..... :)

Fountain Hills, AZ(Zone 9b)

I'm not sure what that is, but I don't believe it's an Agave. Geoff (palmbob) would probably recognize it.

You may find a candidate or two here: http://dangergarden.blogspot.com/2010/07/furcraea-coolest-plant-youve-never.html

This message was edited Apr 24, 2013 11:07 AM

Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

See, it does look pretty much like the mediapicta sport, but I can't tell if the large ones in the pics are toothed or not. Hmmmm?

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

looks like an Agave to me, but A sisalana usually has less or not teeth... but not always. A sisalana is probably the most likely

Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you Palm Bob.... :)

A saw some of these guys at big box today, marked A. sisalana from Altman's. I'm still not convinced. They do look sisalana-like, but also seem different. Besides, Altman's gets all their Agave labels wrong, why would they get this one right? :-)

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

there are two forms of Agave sisalana variegated... a 'floppy-leaved' form, and a stiff-leaved form. The former is also a dwarf plant. I am not 100% sure it is ONLY A sisalana, but it sure seems to be MOSTLY A sisalana.

Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

I wonder of it will be easier to tell as they mature? They are little mysteries, but they seem to be stable and growing already.

It should. I have plain Jane and variegated A. sisalana, and their form is very consistent. A. few months growth might tell the tale.

Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

I shall "patiently" wait.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Here is my Agave sisalana variegated next to an imposter Agave franzosinii (on the right), followed by a few shots of the 'other' Agave sisalana I have in another part of the yard. Sadly this second plant is planted in an area full of snails and it is being literally eaten alive

Thumbnail by palmbob Thumbnail by palmbob

I see what you mean, the leaves are sisalana-like, but they seem to need starch.

Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow, they are both so different. So far mine seems pretty floppy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.