Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Texas Gardening: Livestock Fence Panel Trellis Photos: PART ll

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 15, Views: 233
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2013
1:33 PM

Post #9493382

This thread is a continuation. The original thread, started by TexasPuddyPrint, has run for SIX years, has over 300 posts, and is still very valuable to the website!

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/684265/#post_3084495

Have seen a few requests for photos of arches and trellises over the years. I figured I might as well make a post to show photos of the ones I have made out of livestock fence panels. The livestock fence panels are used by ranchers out here for holding pens and corrals. They are easily welded on to pipe frames and are extremely sturdy. I remember we had a 2000 pound bull attempt to jump over a six foot tall corral one year. He couldn't get his fat butt over the pipe framework and ended up getting a leg caught up in the panel. We had to quickly grab the bolt cutters to set him free before he got hurt or broke his leg. The panel wires bent a little but didn't budge much. Scary!!!

Okay, the fence panels are made of galvanize steel...they won't fall apart or rust!!! I buy mine at McCoy's but figure if ya'll have a home improvement or ranch supply store they'd probably have them there too. They cost about $16 each and they are 52 inches wide by 16 feet long. I love using them!!!

I use bolt cutters to clip them into three long strips that are 16 feet long and about 18 inches wide to make simple arches. I clip the bottom rung from each end and push the 6 inch or so prongs that remain into the ground to stabilize the arch.

Other times I have my brother weld triangular obelisks of various heights for me. Again, I clip the bottom rung and push the remaining prongs into the ground to hold the obelisk in place.

You can use a Dremmel tool with a cut-off wheel to cut the wire but it is 1/4" thick and it's a slow process. Bolt cutters are so much quicker.

I still have plans to make other shapes and designs but haven't gotten around to it. Would love to use panels with smaller blocks and cut out a heart or star design to hang from a tree. Of course, a box or platform to hold a potted plant would be welded onto it or sandwiched between two panels so I could have a vine growing all over it.

~ Cat

Am going to post a bunch of photos I have...and hope others that have used livestock fence panels will post their photos too.

Here's a photo of what the 16 foot long by 52 inch wide livestock fence panel looks like.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2013
5:44 AM

Post #9494149

Just called our local Cattlemens Feed Supply store and they have them for $30. and $37. Got to figure how to get it home without bending it. Our truck bed is only 8 feet. Have 2 other jobs that I have to get done first but will certainly order 1 panel to try. We don't have bolt cutters but husb. sayd his grinding wheel will cut it.

Thanks so much for giving me some other projects. I have made trellis in the past but none last long and I'm sure these will.

Thanks much. Bonnie
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 23, 2013
5:54 AM

Post #9494162

For that price , they are robbing you . Call around for a better price .
I have only one and haven't put it up yet . I will drive re-bar into the ground (three on each side ) about 15 - 18 " deep and brace the bottoms against that I'll leave the tops of re-bar above the ground at least 10 " , the re-bar will go between the squares on the bottom .
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

April 23, 2013
6:36 AM

Post #9494210

Digger,
what are you using to hold it upright? Are you making a hoop or circle?

Cheap plastic tie wraps are great for attacking the bottom to the rebar - any wire ties will rust away in a few years.

ves522

ves522
Jim Falls, WI
(Zone 4a)

April 23, 2013
8:02 AM

Post #9494296

We hauled mine in an 8 foot trailor. DH just just bent it like the hoop trellis and fastened it so it wouldn't fly out. Worked like a charm.

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2013
1:53 PM

Post #9494676

Bonnie, digger is right, look at Tractor Supply, much better prices. They also have hog panels, plus the cattle panels, so you can get different size mesh... The cattle panels cost $20 here in Texas, so there shouldn't be a big difference in price.

Linda... Go to Harbor Freight, and get a real grinder... I have a 9" grinder and can cut a panel in half in about 30 seconds...LOL... It's nice having the right tools...

This message was edited Apr 23, 2013 3:56 PM
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 23, 2013
2:39 PM

Post #9494736

Bubba , I put the ends on the ground and bend the center up about six foot to make an arbor. Drive the first rebar in three places through the first row of open squares .
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2014
6:22 PM

Post #9779712

We just got a new Tractor Supply store about 4 miles from me. Love that place.
Forgot to check on cow panels. Some call it bull wire. If its strong as a bull that's great. Got 2 big projects going around home right now but I haven't forgotten it

Thanks for the help.

Bonnie

bezziec

bezziec
Beverly Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2014
7:06 AM

Post #9779964

Here are mine. One is an arch made of one length (1/2 width) bent over. The other is 1/2 of a full piece, so it is 8 feet high and 52 inches wide. I really like them.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2014
10:16 AM

Post #9780874

ok, bull panels have same size weave of the wires, hog panels have closer mesh at the bottom(helps stop the hogs from nosing under and flipping them) the cost is going to reflect the weight of the wire awg(gauge). Hog wire is light weight and comes in rolls, not panels. the hogwire is too light for the weight of the veggies when you are constantly watering around the holding posts and can collapse on you. Just saying for clarity
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2014
7:45 PM

Post #9781292

Bezziec that sure is a strong looking arch and trellis. Beautiful. That should last. Probably longer than me.

Kittriana, I will also check on hog wire for another use.

If I remember right someone said you had to have bolt cutters to cut the wire. When I get the panel I will get a pair.

Thanks for all the helpful info.

Bonnie

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2014
6:01 AM

Post #9781486

There are several different types, as those of us on a farm are well aware, lol. Here the cheapest is called a livestock panel. The size of the rectangles are smaller at the bottom than the top, hog panels are only 36" or so tall and are usually more expensive. There is also a panel that has 4" squares and is 20' long it is very pricey. Seems like a combo panel has the same size squares from top to bottom, 6 x 8", and is again more expensive. Love my livestock panels, I have used them for shelters and greenhouses for years. Use tposts to hold the ends, and bow it in the middle. Zip tie it to the posts at the bottom and cover with a tarp.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

March 4, 2014
8:03 AM

Post #9781596

Bolt cutter certainly will cut the wire, but another suggestion is an angle grinder with a thin metal cutting disk/blade.

Our son left me his angle grinder, and it hung on the garage wall for years. When I finally grabbed it for a project, I wondered how I could have ignored it for so long. It is now one of those "go to" tools for a lot of projects.

Harbor Freight often has them on sale for about $10, and a pack of blades for $6.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2014
8:07 AM

Post #9781607

bolt cutters do wear out- and come in a large range of sizes. grinders are useful everywhere and dont take muscle..
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2014
4:15 PM

Post #9783418

We've got a grinder with metal disk. Aren't the ends of wire sharp where you clip them off? Was just wondering cause I have grands and great grands around at times. I try to keep everything as safe as possible for them.

Bonnie

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 6, 2014
5:27 PM

Post #9783472

Bonnie, you can grind the edges or use either split water hose or even the plastic ends of lattice panels.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America