Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Bird Watching: Daily Pic #451

Communities > Forums > Bird Watching
bookmark
Forum: Bird WatchingReplies: 121, Views: 1,348
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

April 22, 2013
3:33 PM

Post #9493558

Time for a new thread, welcome everyone feel free to share with us.
Thanks to everyone who contributed with Photos and comments on the previous thread. There was some awesome photos there. To return to the last thread use this link
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1302586/

1. Common Redpoll
2. Black-capped Chickadee
3. American Robin
4.Tree Sparrow
5. Dark-eyed Junco

This message was edited Apr 22, 2013 6:40 PM

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2013
4:52 PM

Post #9493664

Thanks for starting!

Abysmal pic of a distant Pectoral Sandpiper from yesterday (quite rare over here)

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2013
7:36 PM

Post #9493876

Nice photos burn_2007 and resin.
Resin, I've been seeing and pipers here too ( During the warm months) that are not usually around.

My pics from this evening Most just before it got dark ...

first 2 .. Hummingbird, Next 3 Bluebirds ...

Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2013
9:33 AM

Post #9494373

Nice Start burn! I haven't had a redpoll for a few weeks. Resin, with all the fluddles here, I should be seeing some wading birds, but I've been coming up "dry" ha. Can't wait to see a hummer, Iris.

Golden-crowned Kinglet (lifer)
Great White Egret
American Wigeon and Gadwall

This message was edited Apr 23, 2013 10:33 AM

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed      

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2013
12:36 PM

Post #9494563

Thanks for the great start burn to a new thread!! I will faint if I ever see a redpoll!! All the juncos have left my house now.

Very nice Iris...I still have not seen a hummer here yet. I do have 2 feeders out now.

Mrs. Ed...congrats on the new lifer!!

I think I spotted a few Ruby-crown Kinglets this morning...the lighting was horrible!! Saw a White-throated Sparrow that is still hanging around too!

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56         

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2013
4:50 PM

Post #9494903

interesting Nanny, the white throated sparrows just arrived to my house today. I had three of them.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

April 24, 2013
7:30 PM

Post #9496156

Congratulation on you new lifer, Mrs-Ed. I`m surprise to hear , that the white-throated are just arriving at your place. They have been here now going on 2 weeks. I have lots more Junco too this year, compare to all the years I`ve been birding. Have you or Nanny seen the Baltimore Oriole yet?

Iris those are nice shots of the bluebird and hummingbird.

1. Red-tailed Hawk
2. White-throated Sparrow
3. Ring-billed Gull and Crow
4. Redpolls

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2013
7:26 AM

Post #9496562

Mrs_Ed, Nice big picture of that egret!

Nanny, Wish I would see some kinglets!

enjoyed the photos, loved the fourth one with the Redpolls!

These were taken yesterday ...

Goldfinch at birdbath
Male cardnal on top of arbor
Male Cardnal, Male Bluebird
Wren
Red ellied woodpecker

Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2013
7:31 AM

Post #9496571

First 3 -Robin
Last two -Hummingbird

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2013
7:35 AM

Post #9496576

Wren
MaleBluebird, Male Cardnal
Bluebird on fence with a worm for the babies
Bluebird hatchlings

( Sorry, I put the same picture twice)

This message was edited Apr 25, 2013 9:38 AM

Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2013
8:23 AM

Post #9496639

IRIS, you are out doing yourself...excellent photos and baby blues too!!
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2013
8:33 AM

Post #9496657

Thankyou Nanny!
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

April 26, 2013
3:35 PM

Post #9498261

Great pics everyone!
I saw Tree Swallows for the first time this year. I love them!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 27, 2013
11:57 AM

Post #9499087

Congrats Pelle!!
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

April 27, 2013
1:02 PM

Post #9499137

Nanny, I love the Ruby crowned, but they are so hard to take pictures of them. You did good to get one.
Great photos Iris. You have a good variety of birds there.

The Tree Swallows have been here for the past 4 days. I have been busy preparing for them. Put up more suitable houses, in hope they will nest here this year. I've been cleaning and saving the egg shells to spread out on the garden for them. My sister had use the shell to try to protect her plants from slugs, but got a surprise when she saw the Tree Swallow eating them. She put up a birdhouse, they nested in it last year.

1. Dark-eyed Junco
2.Mourning Doves and White-throated Sparrow
3. Brown-headed Cowbird

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007      

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2013
2:17 PM

Post #9499179

Beautiful photos everyone!!
Congratulations Mrs Ed, that lifer is a beauty. Resin, congrats on that rare sighting too.

Thanks for the new start Burn.

My birds have slowed down so that gives me a chance to work in the garden and plant more flowers to attract them.

Here's a lesser goldfinch, an anna's hummingbird that grabed the insect just half a second after I clicked the camera.
Also an acorn woodpecker and a tree swallow preening below the nesthouse.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   

JulieQ
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2013
8:10 AM

Post #9499750

The rose-breasted grosbeaks are passing through again. Love to see them.

Thumbnail by JulieQ

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2013
11:29 AM

Post #9499951

Love y'all pictures, hello Nan, pelle and everyone. I'm out of pocket for the time being (technical problem with uploading pics. from camera). Though, like JuieQ, I've seen Rose-breasted grosbeaks--for 3-4 days in a row here. Haven't seen one for the past couple of years prior. So seeing one was such a treat for me.
pestee42
Molino, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2013
8:46 AM

Post #9501134

Hey everyone, Nice pictures. The Rose Breasted Grosbeaks are here now too. Usually they are enjoying the mulberries but a late freeze got them so they are making due with the black oil sunflower seeds.

Thumbnail by pestee42

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

April 29, 2013
2:52 PM

Post #9501597

Nice start, Burn. I haven't been doing much birdwatching, but have a couple of shots to share. The first two are of a Silver Gull and the third is a Pied Cormorant passing overhead.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK      

mrw31
Metairie, LA

April 29, 2013
6:23 PM

Post #9501831

This bird came to my window feeders today. What is this? Best guess is Black and White Warbler?

Thumbnail by mrw31   Thumbnail by mrw31         

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2013
7:38 PM

Post #9501966

pelletory, Congrats on your Tree Swallow sightings!

burn_2007, Thankyou, Interesting story on the tree swallows and happy you got some in! ~ I enjoyed the photos ~ I have the brown headed cowbird here now.

ducbucln, great pics, Love the one of the lesser gold finch and nice capture of the hummer after the insect ... I seen a hummingbird the other day that kept comming too and dipping in the half circle of monkey grass I have planted under a birdhouse, I realized after a few minutes of seeing him /her doing this that it was the spider webbing that she was getting!

Lily_love, Sorry to hear that you are having problems uploading pictures! ~ love the Rose breasted grosbeaks! ~ I'm hoping to get them here anytime now too, Can't wait to see one! ~ Do have Brown Thatchers right now.

pestee42, nice pic

MargaretK, Enjoyed the photos! .. what a wide open beak on the gull in the second photo!!

mrw31, Pretty window feeder and that Downy Woodpecker.
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2013
7:44 PM

Post #9501981

Some of Todays Photos ...

1 ~ Male Cardnal

2 ~ Male Cardnal

3 ~ Mockingbird

4 ~ Female Blubird

5 ~ House Finch

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

April 30, 2013
11:19 AM

Post #9502829

Love all these pics!

mrw31, Sweet- Downy Woodpecker!

Julie and pestee, So nice to see the male Red-breasted Grosbeak! I have only ever had females here.

Burn, Nice ones, I think all our Junco's have now left. I will miss them.

Margaret, Wonderful shots. Love that Gull!

IRIS, Sweet pics!

I love hearing the different call's this time of year!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2013
12:03 PM

Post #9502864

We have our first oriole today!! It was warm enough this morning that I opened the sliding door so I could here all the birds singing and calling this morning!
mrw31
Metairie, LA

April 30, 2013
1:21 PM

Post #9502977

Thanks much for identifying my Downy Woodpecker - think I've seen these before on the tree in my neighbors backyard. This has been an active migration season for my back yard, which has been great. I got to see my first ever Painted Bunting.

Thumbnail by mrw31   Thumbnail by mrw31   Thumbnail by mrw31   Thumbnail by mrw31   Thumbnail by mrw31

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2013
4:18 PM

Post #9503187

This Carolina Wren made a nest in a storage drawer in my shed

Thumbnail by BCH521

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 1, 2013
2:26 AM

Post #9503703

Congrats nanny!
Gorgeous Painted Bunting mrw!
BCH, That is great news! Keep us posted on the progress!
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2013
11:55 AM

Post #9504282

pelletory, Thanks!

Nanny, Congrats on the oriole sighting!!

mrw31, So pretty!! Rainbow bird come to mind with these!

BCH521, Interestin, Keep us posted!!

Finally got a picture of the Rose Breasted Grosbeak today!! ~

This message was edited May 1, 2013 1:56 PM

Thumbnail by IRIS

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2013
4:19 PM

Post #9504560

oooo...lovely Buntings!! I enjoyed everybody's photos the last couple of day.

So here are a couple of shots of our Baltimore Orioles so far and one really bad shot of a male Yellow-rumped Warbler that I got this morning. Also a shot of a Brown Thrasher in the yard over the weekend...please ignore the weeds and grass!

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2013
6:06 PM

Post #9504683

Loving all the spring birds!!!! And here are some of mine.

Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Eastern Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Palm Warbler

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2013
6:08 PM

Post #9504690

Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Baltimore Oriole
Myrtle Warbler
Baltimore Oriole from the Wingscapes bird cam. Such a funny pose, as he was bathing.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

May 1, 2013
8:30 PM

Post #9504879

cardinals fussing at each other in the shrubbery. I can hear the one male singing from the trees. Perhaps these were the younger ones trying to pair up.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2013
2:18 AM

Post #9505000

Mrs_Ed wrote:Baltimore Oriole from the Wingscapes bird cam. Such a funny pose, as he was bathing.

Bathing? Looks more like going for a swim! ;-)

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2013
11:19 AM

Post #9505467

It sure does look like a swim, Resin!

The watering hole continues to be a hit.

Myrtle Warblers (I had 5 at one time today)
Myrtle Warblers
Gray Catbird
Nashville Warbler
Veery

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 2, 2013
1:01 PM

Post #9505604

Congratulations guys, your getting some wonderful birds!
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

May 3, 2013
7:43 AM

Post #9506586

Our first hummingbird arrived yesterday! It was a male I saw its red throat, my hubby said it might have been the scout and he was trying to figure out where the food was and how much was there, I had just cleaned and refilled the big one and here he came. Drank some and rested and then took off, so they are in Ohio. I wish I could add my sightings to that of others but I don't know how to do it. But they are here, can someone tell me if they are really fond of tiger lilies?
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 3, 2013
11:11 PM

Post #9507447

Wonderful shots, everyone. I'd so love to see a Painted Bunting. They are so beautiful.

I went down the ocean early this morning as I've seen a young osprey there a few times. This morning it was perched on a light pole out on the groyne and was trying to nab fish that the anglers were catching, even going as far as to land on the groyne in amongst half a dozen humans to get this little herring.

After about half an hour, it gave an intruder call and sure enough, another young osprey arrived. The first one resented its presence and chased it off and the last I saw of them they were disappearing way off in the distance.

I then went into the coastal scrub and got a White-cheeked Honeyeater, a flock of Pink and Grey Galahs and a Rainbow Lorikeet.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

butterflysmiles
Bealeton, VA

May 4, 2013
8:26 AM

Post #9507803

Was thrilled to see this Rose-breasted Grosbeak yesterday! Had never seen one before. And to think he came from so far away (Central and South America)!

Thumbnail by butterflysmiles   Thumbnail by butterflysmiles         

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 4, 2013
4:22 PM

Post #9508219

Congratulations butterflysmiles! Their journey is amazing!

Love those pics Margaret!

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

May 4, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9508271

chipping sparrow here. there are so many little brown & grey birds around so I had to sit still long enough to see the markings.
JulieQ
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2013
7:36 PM

Post #9508445

Here's a pretty female grosbeak. They have a yellow coloring under the wing, too, if you are lucky enough to see it.

Thumbnail by JulieQ

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2013
4:48 PM

Post #9512331

Wow, Really beautifull and enjoyable photos all!! MargaretK, Interesting photo of the osprey trying to get the fish! Mrs_Ed, love the one with the oriole in the birdbath! JulieQ, Nice pic of that F grosbeak, I have them here but don't have a picture yet.
I have seen Sooo many baby birds around that I'm amazed! I have Thrush, Red Bellied woodpecker, Wren, Robin, mockingbird, and soon Bluebird babies bouncing around everywhere in the yard! Never seen so many at once! And I'm so excited because this is the first year I've had cardnals nesting in the hollie trees!! It's pouring out and the bluebird mom keeps coming in for food, I feel so bad for her because she's drenched! I've never seen as much rain here as I did this year! Or such extreme changes in temperature! It should be really interesting to see how the plants do this year!! It's after 7:30pm, Poring out, and I had just seen a mourning dove at the birdbath sitting there drinking the drops of water falling from the tier of the birdbath. ~ Have not seen the hummingbirds at all since the heavy rains and high winds, Kinda worried about them. Here are a few pics I got, but, they were not from today, i just have not had time to come here and put them on so I'm doing it now, they were taken withinn the past week ..
Thrush
Mockingbird
Cardnal
Bluebird
Bluebird

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2013
6:37 PM

Post #9513835

Few of todays photos with the birds coming for mealie worms ..

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

May 8, 2013
6:44 PM

Post #9513844

It's nice to see all the posting. There are some very interesting birds and great to see the Orioles, Hummingbirds, Grosbeaks, Thrashers , and that brave Ospreys. Such a nice variety.

1. Tree Swallow male
2. A Tree Swallow couple
3. Purple Finch
4. Downy Woodpecker
5. Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

May 8, 2013
6:48 PM

Post #9513851

Great shots Iris!!!
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2013
7:08 PM

Post #9513881

Thankyou Burn_2007! Great shots yourself!! Love those Tree swallows and that Yellow bellied sap sucker!! ~ I used to get those where i use to live but don't anymore and miss them, At least I get to enjoy your photos of them!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 10, 2013
8:19 AM

Post #9515608

Lovely!! :)
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 10, 2013
10:01 AM

Post #9515700

Great shots everyone!

Julie, Pretty female Grosbeak!

IRIS, Wonderful shots. Love that male server!

Burn, Adore those Tree Swallows!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2013
12:05 PM

Post #9516959

Oh my!! Everyone has been posting such beautiful pics and I haven't been around here much lately. I just have to try to catch up!

I'm beginning to wonder where my Hummers are. They usually show up sometime between the last week of April and the first week of May...but there's still no sign of them. When the Rose-breasted Grosbeaks came I thought "any day now". Then the Orioles showed up and I said "any minute now"...but still no hummers!

My feeders have been up for over three weeks and some of the blooms they like are starting to open even though we lost some plants during our early Spring Monsoon...uh, I mean Spring rains. I guess I'll just keep looking.

I haven't taken too many pictures, but here are some:

1) Red-bellied WP with a kernel of corn
2) Mourning Dove
3) Oriole with a (blurry) Rose-breasted Grosbeak
4) and 5) Oriole eating grape jelly

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2013
12:19 PM

Post #9516972

Here are some more...a Robin splashing around in one of our birdbaths. Some are kind of blurry, but still fun.

All the above pics were taken through our not-too-clean double-pane kitchen window.

This message was edited May 11, 2013 2:22 PM

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

pmutalik2000
Cordaville, MA

May 11, 2013
4:20 PM

Post #9517199

A pair of Carolina Wrens have taken up residence in my garden. They have a nest towards the back of the yard, but spend a lot of time on this pot, from there they dart into the garden below and snag insects, come back to the pot and then fly off to the nest with their catch. Here are a few of the pictures I have taken of them. Also the link below is a video of the male singing. Might take a couple of minutes to load.

http://www.mutalik.com/test/wren_song.mov

Thumbnail by pmutalik2000   Thumbnail by pmutalik2000   Thumbnail by pmutalik2000   Thumbnail by pmutalik2000   Thumbnail by pmutalik2000

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2013
9:33 AM

Post #9517877

Just caught this baby robin coming into the world. They made their nest on our shed.

Thumbnail by BCH521

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2013
10:37 AM

Post #9517947

MY HUMMERS HAVE ARRIVED!!

At least some of them have. They're soooo very late, but that's OK. At least they're here.
I saw the first one this morning about 6:15. I was so excited, I made up some fresh sugar water even though what was out there was fairly fresh. While I was changing one of the feeders a little hummer flew over and buzzed around my head!

YAY!!!!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 12, 2013
6:04 PM

Post #9518349

BCH, that's the brand-newest baby robin I've ever seen! What a wonderful shot!!

Hooray for hummers! Where are mine? They've been in the area 3 weeks or so, and our nectar has been out there... Some years, I don't see them at the feeder much until (I think) they start nesting, when "fast food" becomes more appealing. There are plenty of flowers out there where they could be getting sneaky snacks LOL.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

May 12, 2013
6:55 PM

Post #9518400

Nutaboutnature, great photos! I find the Orioles and Hummingbird late this year too. Have not seen either of them yet.
Glad to hear the hummer found their way to your place.
pmutalik2000, wonderful details in your shots. Welcome to the daily pics thread.
BCH, Aww new beginning, so sweet!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2013
8:41 PM

Post #9518486

Thanks burn!

critterologist & burn - I guess I'm not the only one with late hummers. I bet you'll see yours soon. My Orioles were right on time, though.

pmutalik2000 - Super close-ups of the Wrens!! I haven't looked at the video yet, but I will.

BCH521 - Such a sweet shot of the tiny Robin baby!!

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 14, 2013
12:47 AM

Post #9519758

Nice shots, everyone. The bluebird hatchling is amazing.

White-cheeked Honeyeater, Red Wattlebird and Pied Cormorant preening.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK      

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2013
6:35 AM

Post #9519974

Love the shots, Margaret! It's always great fun to see all your bird varieties...many that I've only seen in pictures.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 14, 2013
3:45 PM

Post #9520625

BCH...that is an awesome shot of the brand new Robin!!!

We had a hummer show up Saturday...finally!
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2013
4:35 PM

Post #9520676

pelletory, Thanks, Got the server at a yardsale , Worked out great to feed the mealie eaters!

nutsaboutnature, Great pics, Love the orioles and always enjoy watching the birds bathe like your Robin, Some make some real splashing while others just like to get a little water on themselves ~ and Congrats on your hummers arrival!!

pmutalik2000, Nice pix of the wren!

BCH521, What a cute photo of that Robin hatchling!

critterologist, I'm sure you will be seeing them anytime .. And they just might be fooling you and getting those sneaky snacks!

MargaretK, Always enjoy seeing the different birds!!

nanny_56, Congrats on your hummer!!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2013
9:23 AM

Post #9521488

Thanks, IRIS!

nanny - Yay...Congrats on the Hummer sighting!!

BTW, I spoke to my brother yesterday and his hummers also just showed up very late. What's interesting about that is he lives in the Colorado mountains with entirely different types of hummers than I have.

Since my first sighting (twice on Sunday) I haven't seen any more, but at least I know they're in the area. I don't sit & stare out the windows all day long so it's also possible they've been coming to my feeders occasionally.

Here are a few more pics.

1) Female Oriole "not-so-patiently" waiting for her turn at the grape jelly.

2) Female Oriole relaxing between snacks of grape jelly.

3) This RT Hummer female is from last year since I don't have any new ones yet. I watched her go through this whole "fluffing-smoothing-drying-fluffing" preening ritual and I managed to catch some of it. This shot was during one of her fluffing routines.

These were all taken through our double-pane kitchen window. Not so great for the best quality, but one of the easiest places to take bird pictures.

This message was edited May 15, 2013 11:25 AM

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature      

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2013
12:11 PM

Post #9521668

nutsaboutnature, My hummers dissapear for a while too ( still) But they always come back, I'm sure yours will too :) I think these were great shots even though it was through the doublepane kitchen window! ( Looks like you can almost reach out and touch them!)
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2013
2:45 PM

Post #9521836

IRIS, you must be good luck...just since you posted, I've seen a few hummers (or one hummer 3 times)!!

Thanks for the compliment! We have a double shepherd's hook just outside the kitchen window so they are pretty close, but I still had to crop the pics some to make them larger.

The Hummer is perched on a branch I attached to the shepherd hook. They like it so much I just leave it there. If it ever breaks, I'll just put up a new one.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2013
5:12 PM

Post #9521998

great pix all. P-mut, so jealous of your carolina wrens. Once in a while I get one stop by here, but not very often.

I haven't had a hummer for a while, my first one was a bit early, But I don't see them too often in spring, as most of you who know me and my hummer whining.

So, I've been collecting a few images…

A few spring migrants and a house wren.
Orchard oriole
House Wren
Myrtle Warbler
Baltimore Oriole
Nashville warbler having a bath

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2013
5:15 PM

Post #9522001

A few from the spring bird count on May 4.

Wood ducks in a tree
Northern Waterthrush
Black-throated Green Warbler
Scarlet Tanager
Solitary Sandpiper having a stretch.

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2013
5:34 PM

Post #9522018

nutsaboutnature, Great to hear!! ( And Your Welcome for the compliment!) You remind me of me lol , When somethinhg works good I try to always keep it there and if it breaks I'll replace it!

Mrs_Ed, Nice array of photos, I especially like the Scarlet Tananger, I see them once in a blue moon and I think they are one of the most beautiful birds!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2013
5:12 PM

Post #9523186

Yay Migration!

Indigo Bunting
Blackpoll Warbler (x2)
Tennessee Warbler

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2013
9:03 PM

Post #9523423

Some more nice pix Mrs_Ed! Enjoyed them! I seen a warbler yesterday but couldn't get a picture of it becayse it kept dashing between the tree leaves.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2013
7:39 AM

Post #9523764

IRIS, the hummers are starting to come a little more regularly now and the Orioles chatter like crazy when their Grape Jelly is empty. So, I guess things are starting to get back to normal...except for the several days of super-hot temps we've had. I think it might be a little cooler today. Sure hope so.

Marna, LOVE all your pics!! So many varieties & sooo pretty. We usually get Indigo Buntings in Spring, but I haven't seen any so far...Boo!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2013
9:28 AM

Post #9523842

Thanks so much. I try to work from the patio in the spring for the migration weeks. That way I can maybe see as many birds that come to the stream. Nothing new today though. The grosbeaks and orioles are gone already. They never stay for long. Though this year seemed to be the longest and with more numbers than before. Pretty soon it will be just all the usual suspects as the migrants have moved through.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 17, 2013
12:15 PM

Post #9524002

Nice catches Marna!! I like the Orchard Oriole. That is one I keep hoping to add to my list.

We have lots of hummer activity now. We are seeing males and females at the feeders. I saw an Indigo Bunting and a Great Crested Flycatcher yesterday on our morning walk. I took the dog home and grabbed the camera and went back out but all I found was a couple of Brown Thrashers out and about.

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56         

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2013
8:15 AM

Post #9525710

Nanny, great shots of the Brown Thrashers, especially the first one!

I saw my first female Hummer a couple of days ago. They weren't nearly as late as the males were. Usually there's more of a gap between the arrivals of the males and females.

These are the first pics I managed to get of hummers...not very good, but I was so excited I decided to post them anyway.
Both were taken through my double-pane kitchen window. (I've got to wash my windows!)

1) Blurry female
2) Male, early morning, shot at ISO 1600 because the lighting was so dim.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature         

pmutalik2000
Cordaville, MA

May 21, 2013
4:05 PM

Post #9528789

At the hummingbird feeder this afternoon. This is the male Ruby Throated.

Thumbnail by pmutalik2000   Thumbnail by pmutalik2000         

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2013
6:12 PM

Post #9528971

nutsaboutnature, Happy to hear that the hummers are coming in more frequently for you! Sure wish I had some Orioles here! ( Thinkl I'm going to pick up a jelly feeder and see what happens) Been hot here too, Really odd temps and rainfall this year!! My daylilys are like a month behind there normal bloomtime this year!

MRS-ED, I agree with nan --So many varieties & sooo pretty.!

Nanny, At least you got the thrashers, There nice to see too! ~ i got a nest that has four eggs in it from the thrashers, Can't wait for the eggs to hatch!

nutsaboutnature and pmutalik2000, nice pix!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2013
7:08 PM

Post #9529042

We washed out our feeders and made fresh nectar today. Hopefully we'll see our hummers soon!

Sadly, we lost one of our Carolina Wrens yesterday. I found him on the front porch, looking a little twisted up. It seems unlikely that he'd have crashed into the sidelight windows, as they're small and full of window-stickers, so maybe a neighborhood cat? Probably he was one of the pair that usually roost on our front porch at night (they use an old robins' nest at the top of a pillar).

Love love love the photos on this thread!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2013
10:50 AM

Post #9529873

Pretty Hummer, pmut!

IRIS, I think the grape jelly would be a good idea since the Orioles Love it! You really don't need to get fancy, though, if you just want to try it out. There are so many inexpensive ways you can put out jelly, but here's one of my favorites:

They also really like oranges, so in the past I've put half of an orange in a suet feeder and hung that by the chain. They'll cling to the wire cage and peck at the orange. If you put a chain or cord in each corner of the suet cage you can hang it horizontally. Then when there's even a tiny bit of room in the orange shell put a little jelly on it.

Keep in mind, though, this will only work if they're in the area. Next year, if you're prepared ahead, as soon as you see or hear them set out an orange or some jelly. You might find that they'll stick around longer because of it.

Oh, critterologist, I'm so sorry to hear about your Wren! No matter what people say about it all being "part of nature", I will never, ever get used to losing wild birds or critters. Wildlife lovers are very special, compassionate people. It's one of the reasons I enjoy these threads so much.

Hopefully your Hummers will show up any day! It's been such a strange year they seem to be arriving late in many parts of the country.

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2013
11:12 AM

Post #9529912

IRIS, I found these old pics I posted a couple years ago. They're not very good, but they show an orange half in a suet cage with some grape jelly.

In this case it's sitting on top of a nectar feeder for Orioles, but most of the Orioles had trouble getting to the sugar water so I stopped using it. Maybe I'll try another type some day, but they seem perfectly happy with their grape jelly.

BTW, I buy cheap jelly in big 32oz jars. They really don't care what brand it is (since they can't read...yes, I really said that!).

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature      

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2013
11:28 AM

Post #9529924

nutsaboutnature, thanks for all the updates and photos ( Which I enjoyed)! I'm going to look up on google if they will be in my area and go from there, I used to feed them back north but don't believe I have here. (yet)
Good thing they can't read lol, I have to use the cheap stuff for them.
My Bluebird babies made it and are doing good, They are getting ready to come and eat with mom and pop, They get closer each day, I'm going to have to get some photos of them to show on here.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2013
4:12 PM

Post #9530258

I just took these pics a little while ago.

1) "Splish-splash I was takin' a bath..." Another Robin in one of our birdbaths, but this time it was raining!

2) "Gee, I wonder how many more kernels I can fit into my beak?" Blue Jays (obviously) love corn. Their antics can be quite funny to watch.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature         

pmutalik2000
Cordaville, MA

May 22, 2013
4:27 PM

Post #9530277

Been trying to attract the Orioles to the feeders, have half oranges, guess I'll add some grape jelly tomorrow and hopefully they will come down from the tree tops.

Love the pictures that folks have posted.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

May 23, 2013
3:01 PM

Post #9531510

As you all know we have downy woodpeckers who love the sugar water we feed the hummers, well today I saw something I have never seen before, a red-bellied woodpecker drinking from it! Tried to get a picture but it was too blurry, will try to get another one if she gets on it again.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2013
9:20 PM

Post #9531977

Thanks, nutsaboutnature. I found a headless robin on the back deck today. :-( This one looked more like a hawk kill, but still! Hopefully it's my last bird burial for a while.

My dad (in Pitttsburgh) and I both saw our first hummers today! His came to his recently-refilled feeder (they like it fresh!). My little guy was spotted zipping up to the mimosa tree for a bit of preening before sampling the coral bells by the patio and moving along to the coral honeysuckle. He never gave the feeders (also freshly refilled) so much as a glance!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2013
7:07 AM

Post #9532278

Oh gosh, critterologist, how awful for you! I sure hope it's your last burial for a while as well.

But it sounds like you went from tragedy to treasure...CONGRATS ON THE HUMMER SIGHTING!! And Congrats to your dad! I have read others say the hummers ignore their feeders when they have plants like honeysuckle in bloom. It's wonderful that you have plants this early that they love so much.

pmutalik2000 - Have you had any luck yet with the Orioles?

emptyeyes - How cool!! We've had Woodpeckers year 'round for many years (Downy, Red-bellied & Hairy), but I've never seen any of them try to drink from the hummer feeders. If you can get a pic, even a blurry one, that would be great to see.

Congrats on the Bluebird babies, IRIS!! I bet they're adorable!
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

May 26, 2013
5:25 PM

Post #9535061

Lovely pics everyone!

These shots were taken two weeks ago. We are experiencing very wet and cold weather. Not a good thing!

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

May 27, 2013
7:16 AM

Post #9535568

red-bellied woodpecker on the hummingbird feeder, this is my second try the first one was way to blurry, so at least on this one you can see what it is.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2013
2:33 PM

Post #9538600

Enjoyed the pix burns and emptyeyes, going to have to puit one of my hb feeders on the 4 way pole with the others and see what happens.
Been so busy just haven't been able to keep up here, Got a few photos to share though ..

Female cardnal eating some mealies
Male cardnal sitting on my cement bunnies ears
Wren resting atop the gargoyle
Titmouse amongst the lillys
We have had a white hawk we had seen here for about 7 years now, I believe this is one of her fledglings

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2013
2:36 PM

Post #9538605

Also have the Bluebird fledglings coming in to feed with the parents ..Have a bunch of photos , Here are a few of them ..

pmutalik2000
Cordaville, MA

May 29, 2013
3:09 PM

Post #9538632

nutsaboutnature, no luck with the orioles. I see them all over the trees in the back of the yard, but oranges and grape jelly did not tempt them at all. Still trying. Hopefully they might still come down. Also need to supplement the seeds in my platform feeder with some worms. Hopefully that will bring in some other birds as well.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2013
12:38 PM

Post #9540996

Love those shots, burn!!
Sorry about your crummy weather. I guess it's been crazy weather everywhere. You're having wet and cold and we're having wet and HOT...much too hot for this time of year. The mosquitos will eat you alive. I can hardly go outside to feed the birds and squirrels without covering myself with greasy, stinky repellent.

That's so cool, emptyeyes! Those guys are kind of hard to take pics of, anyway since they take off if you get anywhere near them.

Those are great pics, IRIS!! Love the assortment and also their chosen spots to "perch"...Bunny's ears, Gargoyle. Nice catch of that rare White Hawk.

Your series of the Bluebird fledglings with their parents is stunning!

pmutalik2000 - Sorry you haven't had luck yet with the Orioles. They can be really temperamental. Sometimes they'll come to a sugar water feeder, but not all the feeders work that well and the holes on most of the Hummer feeders are too small.

Keep trying and don't get discouraged. Eventually you might have some luck. They're attracted to bright orange. Maybe if you hang some bright orange ribbon near the orange or jelly to get their attention. The orange half by itself might be too small.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

June 1, 2013
5:16 PM

Post #9542490

Spent most of the day trying to get hummingbird pics, I don't think I did too bad, here are a few of them.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes   Thumbnail by emptyeyes   Thumbnail by emptyeyes      

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2013
4:28 AM

Post #9542870

I finally have Red headed wood peckers...But 1 got hit by a car...I was sooo sad. I know we had 2 males 1 female. Im seeing fledglings of all sorts everywhere. I love it..Orioles are eating me out of Grape jelly

Thumbnail by huggergirl

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2013

Post #9543115

Gorgeous photos Iris!! That hawk is awesome and the BB's fantastic!

pmutalik...don't give up yet. I put out jelly for them and from time to time I put out either oranges, grapes(red or black...they don't seem to like the white grapes here!) or blueberries. They will soon have young and might search for easier food for quick access. I now get orioles, catbirds, robins cardinals and red-bellied woodpeckers at the jelly.

Nice pics emptyeyes!

huggergirl...great to see you have the red heads!!!! Sad that you lost one tho. I keep hoping to see one here again. It has been 5 years since we had one.
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2013
3:31 PM

Post #9543510

Thanks All! emptyeyes, You did good at trying to catch the humingbird in your photos! ~ I had a chance to get 2 of those small feeders at a yardsale over the weekend and I didn't get them because I thought what would I use such small ones for, Now I realize they would have been great to get good shots at seeing there is only one feeder spot and no resting spot, Now I wish I would have gotten them!

huggergirl, It's great that you got the RHW's!They are always a sight to see!! So sorry to hear that one got hit by a car, that IS really sad!

A few to add here ...

Titmouse checking out the lilys
Hummingbird at the feeder
Wren snaking in for dinner
Male cardnal not quite sure what to make of me

Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

June 2, 2013
8:20 PM

Post #9543894

great photos

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

June 2, 2013
8:21 PM

Post #9543895

great photos
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2013
2:20 PM

Post #9546266

irisMA, Thanks!

few more to add today ...

Male Ruby throat at feeder

Male Ruby throat at feeder-2

Wren came too get his worm

Tufted Titmouse in the sunlight

Baby Tufted Titmouse

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

June 5, 2013
10:02 AM

Post #9547294

The red-bellied woodpecker was on the hummingbird feeder again, I got the camera and got video of her drinking, but I can't download it on this site, can anyone tell me where to put it so everyone can see it?
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2013
10:41 AM

Post #9547339

Wow, you guys have been busy!

emptyeyes ~ Super Hummer shots!!

One way to upload videos to DG is to sign up on "YouTube". Then you upload it there and put the link in a DG thread. That's how a lot of people here do it. There's also a separate thread for bird videos on DG if you want to add it there as well. I'll get you the link and post it in a separate post.

huggergirl ~ I'm so sorry to hear about your Red-headed WP! Glad you have babies, though. Hope it's cheering you up some. We get them occasionally, but they never stick around long. Possibly because we have so many other Woodpeckers...there's a lot of competition.

The Orioles are real gluttons for Grape Jelly at our house, too. I have their orange half and jelly right by the kitchen window and they "chatter" like crazy when the jelly's gone.

Love those pics, IRIS! You have the cutest Garden Art by your feeders! The Cardinal's expression is adorable as well. And that baby Tufted Titmouse is just too cute for words!!

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2013
10:53 AM

Post #9547349

emptyeyes ~ Here is that link to the Bird Video thread. It was started by Pelletory and has some wonderful videos.

Most of the videos were uploaded to YouTube and the links put into the DG thread. Some members also use photo sharing sites, but the easiest for an occasional video is probably YouTube.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1162135/#new
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2013
9:31 AM

Post #9548523

I have a few more pics to share.

1) Rose-breasted Grosbeak male

2) Rose-breasted Grosbeak female

3) Mourning Dove

4) Red-bellied Woodpecker

(I change over to the upside-down suet feeders when the Blackbirds and Starlings start wiping out the suet in only a day or two! Sometimes it takes a bit for the WP to recognize that it's suet in there so I start the feeders out sideways and gradually turn them upside-down. This pic was taken when I first switched feeders.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   

pmutalik2000
Cordaville, MA

June 6, 2013
3:54 PM

Post #9548970

Common sparrow and a male Ruby Throated Hummingbird

Thumbnail by pmutalik2000   Thumbnail by pmutalik2000   Thumbnail by pmutalik2000      

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2013
4:54 PM

Post #9549048

nutsaboutnature, Thanks! ~ And I really enjoyed your photos!

pmutalik2000, Great shots!!
pmutalik2000
Cordaville, MA

June 10, 2013
4:47 PM

Post #9554092

Hope you are not sick of my humming bird pictures. I just can't get enough of these beautiful little gems of the garden. Here are a couple more, the female this time around.

Thumbnail by pmutalik2000   Thumbnail by pmutalik2000   Thumbnail by pmutalik2000      

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2013
10:56 PM

Post #9554439

I enjoy your hummingbird pictures, I think they are beautiful, Nice detail! I can't get enough of them either lol!
If you'd like, you could start a Hummingbird thread which would be all Hummingbird shots, And all that are taking photos of them I'm sure will post there photos along with yours ( Including me) I have some to add , But, Just haven't had the time to put them on.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2013
9:48 AM

Post #9554948

Thanks IRIS!
Also, your suggestion about the Hummingbird Thread reminded me that no one has started the new one yet for this year. So after checking regularly for a couple of weeks, I decided to start this year's Ruby-throated Hummingbird thread.

pmutalik2000 - Your pictures are wonderful! I'm sure all the Hummer Lovers would enjoy it if you posted some of your shots on the Hummer thread as well as this thread.

For those of you that are interested, here is the link to our new 2013 RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD Thread:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1318012/

Please join us!!
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2013
10:07 AM

Post #9554969

nutsaboutnature, Thanks! :)
adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

June 11, 2013
7:16 PM

Post #9555544

The Tree swallows chose five houses this year and all of them have babies peeking out.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2013
8:05 PM

Post #9555654

Awwww, thats neat!

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

June 11, 2013
8:12 PM

Post #9555688

Great!
MajiA
Kenner, LA

June 11, 2013
8:36 PM

Post #9555724

White Eyed Vireo Drinking Cherry Blossom Nectar, taken in Japan earlier this year.

Thumbnail by MajiA

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 12, 2013
7:20 AM

Post #9556159

IRIS ~ You're Very Welcome! We were probably all thinking about the Hummer thread, so if it wasn't me it would've been someone else.

adelbertcat ~ Love the Tree Swallow pic, adorable! My gosh, five families...I'm so jealous!

MajiA ~ What a great catch! Really beautiful!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9556200

Welcome to the MajiA, beautiful pix of the White Eyed Vireo enjoying the Cherry blossom nectar. Adel, congrats on those many Tree Swallows nests. Thanks N.A.N for the new thread on the Eastern hummingbirds, some gorgeous pics. there. Those Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, male and female. I just love those birds! pmutalik2000, howdy. your photographic skill is outstanding. Love those photos you've shared. Hi Bernadette, Mrs. Ed. Nanny, critterologist and everyone.

Papa Red-bellied Woodpecker "chops up" peanut, before he feeds it to his baby.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love      

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2013
11:09 AM

Post #9556398

MajiA wrote:White Eyed Vireo Drinking Cherry Blossom Nectar, taken in Japan earlier this year.

Actually a Japanese White-eye – there's very few birds the same in Japan and the USA ;-)

Resin

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

June 14, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9559068

Saw a red breasted grosbeak for the first time today. He was trying to get seeds out of our tube feeder. Husband saw the female a bit later so we evidently do have a pair in our garden.
JulieQ
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2013
5:25 PM

Post #9559279

Wrens hanging around the deck. So cute.

Thumbnail by JulieQ

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2013
5:50 PM

Post #9559333

Last pic is a Carolina Wren.

Nice pics, everyone!

This thread's getting long, a volunteer to start Daily Pics #452, please

Resin

Edit: we've moved on to here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1318847/

This message was edited Jun 16, 2013 2:58 PM
MajiA
Kenner, LA

June 14, 2013
7:55 PM

Post #9559445

Thank you for your comments everyone.

Thanks you Julie for sharing the pic.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2013
8:13 AM

Post #9560837

Kim ~ Love those Woodpecker shots!! They're such characters, I really enjoy watching them.

irisMA ~ Congrats on the Rose-breasted Grosbeak Pair!! I love those birds and look forward to their return each Spring!

JulieQ ~ That's an adorable Carolina Wren!! Very nice catch!

Thanks, Resin! You're right, this thread has gotten long. Since I'm posting anyway, I may as well start the new thread.

Come on over, everybody! Edition #452 is starting NOW...the only thing missing is all of you!
Here's the link:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1318847/
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

July 13, 2013
9:16 AM

Post #9597464

I thought I would post one more bird picture on here that my hubby got, he says its a banded Kingfisher.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

January 8, 2014

Post #9743205

We seem to have a overabundance of Juncos this winter, not complaining they are pretty birds, but I got a pic of one that is very hard to capture and this pic was a lot of patience and trying to snap it before it grabbed a seed and took off. It is a Chicadee and any other amatuer photographer will tell you they are difficult to get. I am not sure which is more harder to snap a pic of, a Hummingbird or a Chickadee. The result is pretty but they are hard to get. Hope you like this one.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2014
10:33 AM

Post #9743271

Hi emptyeyes - nice pics, but this is an old, closed thread! We've moved on to Daily Pics #455 now, please repost them there:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1346896/

This message was edited Jan 9, 2014 5:19 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America