Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Daily Pic #451

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Time for a new thread, welcome everyone feel free to share with us.
Thanks to everyone who contributed with Photos and comments on the previous thread. There was some awesome photos there. To return to the last thread use this link
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1302586/

1. Common Redpoll
2. Black-capped Chickadee
3. American Robin
4.Tree Sparrow
5. Dark-eyed Junco

This message was edited Apr 22, 2013 6:40 PM

Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Thanks for starting!

Abysmal pic of a distant Pectoral Sandpiper from yesterday (quite rare over here)

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Nice photos burn_2007 and resin.
Resin, I've been seeing and pipers here too ( During the warm months) that are not usually around.

My pics from this evening Most just before it got dark ...

first 2 .. Hummingbird, Next 3 Bluebirds ...

Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Nice Start burn! I haven't had a redpoll for a few weeks. Resin, with all the fluddles here, I should be seeing some wading birds, but I've been coming up "dry" ha. Can't wait to see a hummer, Iris.

Golden-crowned Kinglet (lifer)
Great White Egret
American Wigeon and Gadwall

This message was edited Apr 23, 2013 10:33 AM

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the great start burn to a new thread!! I will faint if I ever see a redpoll!! All the juncos have left my house now.

Very nice Iris....I still have not seen a hummer here yet. I do have 2 feeders out now.

Mrs. Ed...congrats on the new lifer!!

I think I spotted a few Ruby-crown Kinglets this morning....the lighting was horrible!! Saw a White-throated Sparrow that is still hanging around too!

Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56

interesting Nanny, the white throated sparrows just arrived to my house today. I had three of them.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Congratulation on you new lifer, Mrs-Ed. I`m surprise to hear , that the white-throated are just arriving at your place. They have been here now going on 2 weeks. I have lots more Junco too this year, compare to all the years I`ve been birding. Have you or Nanny seen the Baltimore Oriole yet?

Iris those are nice shots of the bluebird and hummingbird.

1. Red-tailed Hawk
2. White-throated Sparrow
3. Ring-billed Gull and Crow
4. Redpolls

Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Mrs_Ed, Nice big picture of that egret!

Nanny, Wish I would see some kinglets!

enjoyed the photos, loved the fourth one with the Redpolls!

These were taken yesterday ...

Goldfinch at birdbath
Male cardnal on top of arbor
Male Cardnal, Male Bluebird
Wren
Red ellied woodpecker

Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

First 3 -Robin
Last two -Hummingbird

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Wren
MaleBluebird, Male Cardnal
Bluebird on fence with a worm for the babies
Bluebird hatchlings

( Sorry, I put the same picture twice)

This message was edited Apr 25, 2013 9:38 AM

Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS

IRIS, you are out doing yourself...excellent photos and baby blues too!!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Thankyou Nanny!

Marlton, NJ

Great pics everyone!
I saw Tree Swallows for the first time this year. I love them!

Congrats Pelle!!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Nanny, I love the Ruby crowned, but they are so hard to take pictures of them. You did good to get one.
Great photos Iris. You have a good variety of birds there.

The Tree Swallows have been here for the past 4 days. I have been busy preparing for them. Put up more suitable houses, in hope they will nest here this year. I've been cleaning and saving the egg shells to spread out on the garden for them. My sister had use the shell to try to protect her plants from slugs, but got a surprise when she saw the Tree Swallow eating them. She put up a birdhouse, they nested in it last year.

1. Dark-eyed Junco
2.Mourning Doves and White-throated Sparrow
3. Brown-headed Cowbird

Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Beautiful photos everyone!!
Congratulations Mrs Ed, that lifer is a beauty. Resin, congrats on that rare sighting too.

Thanks for the new start Burn.

My birds have slowed down so that gives me a chance to work in the garden and plant more flowers to attract them.

Here's a lesser goldfinch, an anna's hummingbird that grabed the insect just half a second after I clicked the camera.
Also an acorn woodpecker and a tree swallow preening below the nesthouse.

Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln
Bella Vista, AR(Zone 6b)

The rose-breasted grosbeaks are passing through again. Love to see them.

Thumbnail by JulieQ
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Love y'all pictures, hello Nan, pelle and everyone. I'm out of pocket for the time being (technical problem with uploading pics. from camera). Though, like JuieQ, I've seen Rose-breasted grosbeaks--for 3-4 days in a row here. Haven't seen one for the past couple of years prior. So seeing one was such a treat for me.

Molino, FL(Zone 8b)

Hey everyone, Nice pictures. The Rose Breasted Grosbeaks are here now too. Usually they are enjoying the mulberries but a late freeze got them so they are making due with the black oil sunflower seeds.

Thumbnail by pestee42
PERTH, Australia

Nice start, Burn. I haven't been doing much birdwatching, but have a couple of shots to share. The first two are of a Silver Gull and the third is a Pied Cormorant passing overhead.

Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK
Metairie, LA

This bird came to my window feeders today. What is this? Best guess is Black and White Warbler?

Thumbnail by mrw31 Thumbnail by mrw31
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

pelletory, Congrats on your Tree Swallow sightings!

burn_2007, Thankyou, Interesting story on the tree swallows and happy you got some in! ~ I enjoyed the photos ~ I have the brown headed cowbird here now.

ducbucln, great pics, Love the one of the lesser gold finch and nice capture of the hummer after the insect .... I seen a hummingbird the other day that kept comming too and dipping in the half circle of monkey grass I have planted under a birdhouse, I realized after a few minutes of seeing him /her doing this that it was the spider webbing that she was getting!

Lily_love, Sorry to hear that you are having problems uploading pictures! ~ love the Rose breasted grosbeaks! ~ I'm hoping to get them here anytime now too, Can't wait to see one! ~ Do have Brown Thatchers right now.

pestee42, nice pic

MargaretK, Enjoyed the photos! .. what a wide open beak on the gull in the second photo!!

mrw31, Pretty window feeder and that Downy Woodpecker.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Some of Todays Photos ...

1 ~ Male Cardnal

2 ~ Male Cardnal

3 ~ Mockingbird

4 ~ Female Blubird

5 ~ House Finch

Marlton, NJ

Love all these pics!

mrw31, Sweet- Downy Woodpecker!

Julie and pestee, So nice to see the male Red-breasted Grosbeak! I have only ever had females here.

Burn, Nice ones, I think all our Junco's have now left. I will miss them.

Margaret, Wonderful shots. Love that Gull!

IRIS, Sweet pics!

I love hearing the different call's this time of year!

We have our first oriole today!! It was warm enough this morning that I opened the sliding door so I could here all the birds singing and calling this morning!

Metairie, LA

Thanks much for identifying my Downy Woodpecker - think I've seen these before on the tree in my neighbors backyard. This has been an active migration season for my back yard, which has been great. I got to see my first ever Painted Bunting.

Thumbnail by mrw31 Thumbnail by mrw31 Thumbnail by mrw31 Thumbnail by mrw31 Thumbnail by mrw31
Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

This Carolina Wren made a nest in a storage drawer in my shed

Thumbnail by BCH521
Marlton, NJ

Congrats nanny!
Gorgeous Painted Bunting mrw!
BCH, That is great news! Keep us posted on the progress!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

pelletory, Thanks!

Nanny, Congrats on the oriole sighting!!

mrw31, So pretty!! Rainbow bird come to mind with these!

BCH521, Interestin, Keep us posted!!

Finally got a picture of the Rose Breasted Grosbeak today!! ~

This message was edited May 1, 2013 1:56 PM

Thumbnail by IRIS

oooo....lovely Buntings!! I enjoyed everybody's photos the last couple of day.

So here are a couple of shots of our Baltimore Orioles so far and one really bad shot of a male Yellow-rumped Warbler that I got this morning. Also a shot of a Brown Thrasher in the yard over the weekend...please ignore the weeds and grass!

Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56

Loving all the spring birds!!!! And here are some of mine.

Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Eastern Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Palm Warbler

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Baltimore Oriole
Myrtle Warbler
Baltimore Oriole from the Wingscapes bird cam. Such a funny pose, as he was bathing.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
South Hamilton, MA

cardinals fussing at each other in the shrubbery. I can hear the one male singing from the trees. Perhaps these were the younger ones trying to pair up.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from Mrs_Ed :
Baltimore Oriole from the Wingscapes bird cam. Such a funny pose, as he was bathing.

Bathing? Looks more like going for a swim! ;-)

It sure does look like a swim, Resin!

The watering hole continues to be a hit.

Myrtle Warblers (I had 5 at one time today)
Myrtle Warblers
Gray Catbird
Nashville Warbler
Veery

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Marlton, NJ

Congratulations guys, your getting some wonderful birds!

Lakeview, OH

Our first hummingbird arrived yesterday! It was a male I saw its red throat, my hubby said it might have been the scout and he was trying to figure out where the food was and how much was there, I had just cleaned and refilled the big one and here he came. Drank some and rested and then took off, so they are in Ohio. I wish I could add my sightings to that of others but I don't know how to do it. But they are here, can someone tell me if they are really fond of tiger lilies?

PERTH, Australia

Wonderful shots, everyone. I'd so love to see a Painted Bunting. They are so beautiful.

I went down the ocean early this morning as I've seen a young osprey there a few times. This morning it was perched on a light pole out on the groyne and was trying to nab fish that the anglers were catching, even going as far as to land on the groyne in amongst half a dozen humans to get this little herring.

After about half an hour, it gave an intruder call and sure enough, another young osprey arrived. The first one resented its presence and chased it off and the last I saw of them they were disappearing way off in the distance.

I then went into the coastal scrub and got a White-cheeked Honeyeater, a flock of Pink and Grey Galahs and a Rainbow Lorikeet.

Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK
Bealeton, VA

Was thrilled to see this Rose-breasted Grosbeak yesterday! Had never seen one before. And to think he came from so far away (Central and South America)!

Thumbnail by butterflysmiles Thumbnail by butterflysmiles
Marlton, NJ

Congratulations butterflysmiles! Their journey is amazing!

Love those pics Margaret!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.