Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

April 22, 2013
4:47 PM

Post #9493656

Aeoniums can be so variable, even when they're genetically identical. Case in point one called "Blushing Beauty", or at least that's what I have for an ID on it.

These first two plants were cuttings from the same mother plant this past winter. They look very different now even though they're growing side by side. I thought the color contrast was pretty striking. Also the degree of branching. I suspect those differences may be related to how long the stems were on the cuttings when I potted them up. That much branching the first season is rare in my experience, but this is a very branchy Aeonium.

Last two pictures show the look from early winter (both plants started out this light green color) and the mother plant at the end of summer (our dry season), for reference.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ladyj512

ladyj512
Grand Junction, CO
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2013
4:52 PM

Post #9493662

Lovely plants, both of them. What is the diff between Semps, Echeverias and Aeoniums? I am a beginnger and find these confusing. Semps are winter hardy here but Ech's are not. I would bet Aeoniums aren't either. Thanks
Judy

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

April 22, 2013
5:18 PM

Post #9493697

You bet right. They are also intolerant of serious heat.

Those three genera you mention are all part of the Crassulaceae family (along with the common jade and various other leafy succulents). They do look similar. The Echeverias are mostly Mexican plants, the Aeoniums mostly from the Canary Islands. You can tell them apart in a couple of ways. One, the Aeoniums usually have little hairs (cilia) along the edge of their leaves, if you look closely. Two, the flowers on an Aeonium are usually terminal (the end of the road for the head that flowered), while flowering Echeverias live on afterwards. To my eyes Semps really do look distinct (okay, with Jovibarba if you want to get technical)... little dinky rosettes with lots of leaves. They are like Aeoniums in that the flower is terminal, also in the degree to which they can show great seasonal variation in appearance. And thus can be quite difficult to properly identify... word to the wise.

ladyj512

ladyj512
Grand Junction, CO
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2013
7:23 PM

Post #9493860

Thank you
kinym
Carmichael, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2013
10:01 PM

Post #9493987

I'm not sure why but my aeoniums take the heat here fine... And they handled frost too, growing almost quadruple their original size since summer. They huge growers were next to a broken sprinkler that was dripping underground even through winter.

The first pic, were tiny speckled things in a 3" pot... Now they
are CRAZY BIG!
2nd photo another big full sun clump.
3rd for size.

My red ones are also in full sun. I put some in the shady garden and they rotted out over winter.

Thumbnail by kinym   Thumbnail by kinym   Thumbnail by kinym      

ladyj512

ladyj512
Grand Junction, CO
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2013
7:03 AM

Post #9494240

WOW...beautiful! Almost makes me want to live somewhere warmer...almost "-)
I'll stick to Semps and work on keeping them alive.
Judy

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

April 25, 2013
9:20 PM

Post #9497435

kinym wrote:I'm not sure why but my aeoniums take the heat here fine...

What kind of temperatures? Does it cool down at night?
kinym
Carmichael, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 25, 2013
10:47 PM

Post #9497463

We get up to 100 to 110 and it only drops to 80's (sometimes 90's) over night when really hot. They seem to just go dormant then. I haven't had burns either? I water them along with everything else though. I have kept than away from the walls with reflective heat, though. The ones in sun are doing way better than the more shaded ones. I'm in Sacramento, CA. 9b.
kinym
Carmichael, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 25, 2013
10:58 PM

Post #9497464

I was just pondering the differences in my aeonium areas. The BIG ones are in almost constantly moist soil, full sun. Fall through Winter I just left them be, no water, but whatever rain they get etc... We had a light frost season too. No problems except for a few burned leaf tips that I picked off and it was fine. I had a bunch in a morning sun/shade area thinking frost would not hit those (trial and error) and they rotted way down. Definitely better in sun.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

April 26, 2013
11:31 AM

Post #9498043

One thing I like about Aeoniums is that they can handle lots of sun (here). There is very little shade on the patio or in the garden and they don't complain. You can stick a cutting in the ground in full sun and it will root and grow. Sure, it'll burn through half its leaves in the process, but that's only temporary.

We don't get much rain here (6" this season) and the landscape plants spend most of their time dry.

Here are a few Aeoniums in the park, all growing in day-long sun. No names for any as they were random donations. I'm thinking I need to propagate the red one.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

April 26, 2013
11:32 AM

Post #9498045

This one is gigantic and should grow a pretty long stem.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kinym
Carmichael, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 26, 2013
12:21 PM

Post #9498095

Beautiful!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America