-
AuthorContent
kattykorn
Cleveland, GA
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2013
6:48 PM

Post #9493808

Have spent hours on line trying to identify this one. Picture could be better, sorry. Very low growing tight to the ground. Striking foliage, deep olive green with burgundy veins and is "fuzzy". Slender stalk rises about four or five inches and has something on the end. Tiny flowers? These may be left overs from last year, as they look dry and shriveled. Several of these are growing at the base of a large old oak. Some are in very shallow soil between large, exposed roots at the base of the tree. It would make a great ground cover if I could learn what it is and how to propagate.

Thumbnail by kattykorn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2013
8:03 PM

Post #9493904

Looks like a "hawkweed" - perhaps Hieracium venosum.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2013
8:23 PM

Post #9493917

Agree Hieracium venosum.
kattykorn
Cleveland, GA
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2013
10:38 PM

Post #9493998

Hieracium venosum indeed! Should have come here first, would have saved me a lot of time! Thanks! Interesting, I searched several data bases of native wildflowers and didn't find it, but apparently it is quite common in this area. I was having to search pictures, as I didn't have a name common or otherwise. Was interested to see it also considered invasive. Here I have only a few plants in one small area that appear to be struggling a bit. With the size and habitat on this property, if it was being invasive I would think there would be a lot more of it. No real info on propagating. Guess I must be the only one interested. But then, I don't believe in weeds. A weed is just a plant growing where someone doesn't want it. I happen to think that dandelions are a pretty wildflower and a good vegetable. So I'll experiment with propagating my rattlesnake hawkweed. Since nothing else seems to be able to grow where it is growing, I would like to see it fill in there. It is a beautiful plant. Thanks again.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2013
5:52 AM

Post #9494158

I have Hieracium venosum growing in my yard and enjoy its foliage even more than the flowers. If you have a few plants now you will have more plants in the near future. While it is not an aggressive re-seeder here it does appear here and there every year. It is easy to remove if in an undesired location and transplants well. Try collecting the seed tops and scattering them in the area where you want them.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99   Thumbnail by greenthumb99         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

kattykorn
Cleveland, GA
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2013
6:43 PM

Post #9501862

Thank you for the advice on the Hieracium venosum. I transplanted a few of them today. Not much else will grow where I found them and there were only a few scattered plants. I did find a couple more so moved them with the others. I also like the foilage. Would like to see them growing rather thickly and fill in the spot where I found them.

Now I have another one if you would be so kind as to help. This just recently started blooming. It is growing profusely on the bank of a roadside ditch near my property. I'm thinking it might be a useful groundcover for me.

The third picture is a plant that I have about four of coming up in various spots. When they first emerged I thought they might be a peony of some kind, but as they continued to grow I realized they weren't. Don't know if they are keepers or junk. Thanks for any help you can give.

Thumbnail by kattykorn   Thumbnail by kattykorn   Thumbnail by kattykorn      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2013
6:54 PM

Post #9501889

kattykorn - if you want to request ID of different plant(s), it's best to start a new thread. :-)

The first plant is "bird's foot violet" (Viola pedata). One of my favorite spring wildflowers so please treat it gently. :-)

The second looks like an elderberry (probably Sambucus canadensis).
kattykorn
Cleveland, GA
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2013
9:28 PM

Post #9502091

Tom, you folks are the bomb! Don't know how you nailed the elderberry from my crummy picture, but I searched and there were much better pictures. Thanks for the tip about starting a new thread. I'm very new to DG and just figuring things out.

If that little devil, the bird's foot violet, is one of your faves, you would love the view from my front yard because there is a huge swath of them growing very thickly on the bank of the ditch across the road. I am going to try to transplant a few onto my property. We will see how it will go. All of what I read about them said they needed full sun, except here in the plant files at DG where it said full sun or part shade. These get very little sun. A few hours in the late afternoon and that is it, yet they are thriving. Thanks again.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2013
4:11 AM

Post #9502254

My bird's foot violets grow just fine with just a few hours of sun and high (bright) shade the rest of the day. In fact, I have never seen them growing in all-day sun anywhere. They should transplant easily.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America