Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
davidsl88
Worcester, MA

April 22, 2013
7:06 PM

Post #9493840

Hello garden experts! The pussy willow blooms are fading and it's still just about leafless. I'd like to trim it down... What's your experience? I'm thinking this a good time? Thanks!

Thumbnail by davidsl88
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 23, 2013
6:31 PM

Post #9495022

Most types are just fine pruned whenever you want. Some benefit all the more from a hard pruning.

Good to prune after the flowers. It now has all summer to grow leaves and save up energy to produce next years' crop.
davidsl88
Worcester, MA

April 24, 2013
5:33 AM

Post #9495368

Thanks! I do trim during the summer so it doesn't get taller than the garage but have never gotten to it this early and was afraid it might affect leaf-out. I appreciate the info.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

April 25, 2013
3:30 PM

Post #9497064

If the tree / shrub you want to prune is the one in the picture then what you need to do is use pruning saw, start looking at crossed branches that are rubbing together where this can cause diseases to get into the tree causing even further damage down the way, by removing these crossed branches it will open up the centre of the shrub, the shape you are looking for is like a Goblet, open in the middle and allowing air to flow through the whole tree / shrub, then you can reduce the hight as you will be able to see better exactly what branches need shortened, remember there is nothing worse than having to look at a tree/ shrub that has been hacked to bits without thinking what the end result will look like.
Tree's of differing types have a different appearance and growing habits so they require different pruning / branching. a picture book of tree's will give an idea of shape to go for.

Good luck and best regards. WeeNel.
davidsl88
Worcester, MA

April 26, 2013
6:58 AM

Post #9497779

Yes, that's the tree. Good info WeeNel, thanks.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

April 26, 2013
12:33 PM

Post #9498111

Your very welcome, make sure as you take / make cuts, step back and look all around the tree so you know when to stop or where to prune next. It's not rocket science David, just slow and easy, remember how long it will be to regrow bit's you should have saved ha, ha, ha.
Best regards and good luck. WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America