Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Neighbor is putting up a 6ft fence, can I still garden?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 24, Views: 175
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rainbowcarrot
Brunswick, OH

April 22, 2013
9:20 PM

Post #9493972

Hi everyone!

Last year I spent a lot of money setting up a 10x 20 garden plot in my backyard. Unfortunately, the neighbors moved away, and someone new moved in, tore out their garden (which was next to mine) and is currently putting up a 6 foot wooden fence! My garden is 20 feet along the length of the fence, which will block all the Eastern sun. Do I have hope? Should I even garden anymore? Which types of vegetables would fare well at all under these conditions? I am in northern Ohio.

Thank you for any help :(
S

This message was edited May 19, 2013 6:15 PM
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2013
9:55 PM

Post #9493985

In my zone this would not constitute a problem but Im not sure in yours. Full sun is what most veggies require but that means at least 6 hours per day of full sun. Would you be getting 6 hours with the fence in place?
davidsl88
Worcester, MA

April 23, 2013
4:20 AM

Post #9494103

Did you successfully grow veggies there last year? Eastern sun doesn't sun last very long - with or without the fence I'm thinking that spot would be more ideal for a shade flower garden. As you watch the sun progress over your property and get higher through the season, where is your southern exposure? Can you garden there? Have enough room at least for raised beds? Would expanding this existing bed out and away from the fence capture that south sun? I'm not a vegetable gardener and don't know that I've ever read about 'shade' vegetables so I think steadycam is right.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2013
4:40 AM

Post #9494113

You might want to check your local zoning laws and see whether a solid six-foot fence in a residential area is even permitted. A lot of communities limit heights to 4 feet unless there is a special circumstance.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2013
4:44 AM

Post #9494116

Ditto to the fence permit !!!
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 23, 2013
5:23 AM

Post #9494130

It wouldn't be a problem here at this latitude either. Sure, check the fence height allowed (it's been 6 feet or slightly more everywhere we've lived) but keep in mind whether you really want to go down the route of creating problems with neighbors.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2013
5:39 AM

Post #9494141

If it turns out that the maximum height is lower than six feet you can talk to them about it; you don't have to pull out the heavy artillery. They have created a problem with you but a friendly discussion might resolve it. And you don't have to approach them in a confrontational manner; you could just tell them that the maximum height in your zone/area/whatever is four feet, if that's in fact the case, and they might want to know that before they go to the expense of erecting a higher fence and then having to remove it if the zoning officer sees it.

A quick google search for maximum residential fence heights in Ohio suggests that it's more typically four feet, which is what I think it is here, too.

This message was edited Apr 23, 2013 9:23 AM
davidsl88
Worcester, MA

April 23, 2013
8:44 AM

Post #9494339

Good points about fence height and being neighborly. Here, fences under 7' require no permit. I have a 6' privacy fence (installed 6" up from the bottom for a little more height without the permit). In Mass, cities and towns retain official fence viewers who settle disputes re size, condition, legality as pertains to property lines. Also fences of any size can't be erected within 5' of any intersection. They're usually called for advice before the fence goes up. Maybe your town has an equivalent?
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 23, 2013
6:30 PM

Post #9495017

1) Add a trellis, wire mesh, string... and plant vining forms of beans, peas, cucumbers, squash, tomatoes (indeterminate types, mostly)... and anything else that will climb, or that you can tie into place. As the sun moves around these plants will get a lot of warm sun through the afternoon, and if you spread them out right (tomato, squash) they will benefit all the more!

2) If the area really becomes too shaded, try the crops that are usually cool season. They may grow through the summer if they are in part shade.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

April 23, 2013
10:49 PM

Post #9495233

Shaina,
Don't you just hate that. But keep in mind that the sun rise higher in the sky so that what is shaded winter, wll be less so summer. My problem is a large hybrid elm on my neighbor's back yard. Gives shade that lessen as summer approaches. Luckily the sun moves across the sky.

I would love to have a 6ft privacy fence to screen my non-garden neighbors from view. I just have a 4ft llink fence. (sigh)
davidsl88
Worcester, MA

April 24, 2013
5:29 AM

Post #9495363

Really good idea about the climbing veggies! The sun, as it moves and gets higher might also resolve your worry.

blomma, at move in, our backyard was bounded on the one longest side by a chain link fence. Only 15' of the far corner was 'private' as the previous owner had installed arborvitae that was at that point about 25' tall. The remaining 80' was wide open space and invited my neighbor to watch me from his house and then come out and comment on my activity! ('helpful hints' on how to rake leaves, trim the shrubbery or sympathy when he watched me open the pool - there's usually a lot of swearing and a little 'crying' involved! LOL)

After 2 years of constantly feeling creeped out, I installed 15 6' emerald arborvitae (very neat habit, but TALL) along the fence, blocking his yard, deck and windows. I 'cheaped out' the final 8' or so and installed 3 footers (no windows so I didn't care they would take longer to catch up). When he asked me about it. I told him I hated the 'view' of the chain link and wanted to cover it up. Most are over 16' now and he doesn't talk to us anymore. My consolation that I don't have to see his 'moobs' when he's out working in his yard without a shirt (Ack! MY EYES!!!). LOL!

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

April 24, 2013
8:04 PM

Post #9496225

david,
That is really funny. Good for you. Do you think he got the hint?
davidsl88
Worcester, MA

April 25, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9496616

He hasn't talked to us since - but the view from my deck is sweet! I actually thought he'd done something to my trees because the 3 that blocked his 2 favorite windows started to fail after the 3rd year. They stopped growing and turned brown. What a coincidence, right? I realized it was my maple at fault and since I had always planned to take it down I stopped 'planning' and just did it. The extra couple hours of sun was what they needed and they started recovering right away - they got nice and green, started growing. They're catching up nicely to the others now... 2 years ago they only reached the bottom of his windows, this year they're almost to the tops.

If I work at it, I could still thrill to the sight of him in his front yard... but I'm too lazy! LOL!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2013
8:33 AM

Post #9496660

david, that is FUNNY!!!
davidsl88
Worcester, MA

April 25, 2013
9:20 AM

Post #9496719

Jen, it gets better! It's actually a tie between Moob Man and his best friend, 'Sweater Guy', who lives across the street. The 1st time I saw him he was mowing his lawn. It was August and he was wearing a long-sleeved sweater and I was dying just looking at him. So my husband comes out and says, that's not a sweater! He's not wearing anything - that's hair!!! OMG!! Can't tell you how many times this neighborhood has inspired me to want to pluck my eyeballs out and set them on fire! LOL!!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2013
9:28 AM

Post #9496732

ROTFL

we have a friend that's a sweater guy too...we were at their pool party and my hubby yells to him "hey take your sweater off before diving in!"
davidsl88
Worcester, MA

April 25, 2013
1:08 PM

Post #9496894

Oooof! He has a good sense of humor, I presume? LOL! When I talk to my SG I have to struggle to remember to call him by name...

What does ROTFL mean?? :>)

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2013
1:10 PM

Post #9496898

Rolling on the floor laughing!
davidsl88
Worcester, MA

April 25, 2013
1:30 PM

Post #9496929

OH!!! Yes, of course it does! LOL! Thanks for the info!
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

April 25, 2013
2:33 PM

Post #9497001

Shaina, you should come visit me here in Scotland, we have had no decent sunlight for 3 summers, had too much rain and most veg never grew properly,
To be honest, good light is better than strong sunlight for most veg however, short spells of sunshine is an added bonus, things like tomato, cucumbers and peppers, things like soft fruit too all like good light and part sun at some point of the day.

Think it's a case of wait and see, but good luck anyway.
WeeNel,

Davidsl88, you are awful but I like it.

davidsl88
Worcester, MA

April 26, 2013
5:49 AM

Post #9497677

You know, WeeNel you've got me rethinking this. My neighbor's weed patch is 'blocked' by my fence and it's thriving. He gets east sun, then plenty of south as it moves until at least early afternoon - lots of 'good' light. If he built a bed only 4 or 5' out from the fence he'd have no problem growing anything. Rainbow, your bed is built out 10' so I don't think this is going to be a problem for you. I know I'd like an update from you at some point.

And WeeNel, now I'm ROTFL! (Hey! Didn't think I'd get to use my new vocab. lesson so soon!) You're right about me! LOL!!
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

April 26, 2013
12:52 PM

Post #9498124

Are we saying that now when you think about it, your neighbour has done you a huge favour by installing that ghastly fence ha, ha, ha, OH and ROLF !!!! too.

he has hidden from view all those weeds, sure I know the weeds cant remember what side of the fence they are supposed to be growing at however, you can always dig them up and pass / throw / or hand deliver them back to the original owners to decorate there own plot, who knows maybe they are just too stupid or selfish to understand what being neighbourly really is.

Whatever just try stay pleasant, you never know, he just might sell his home onto someone even worce, LOL.

Happy gardening and best ragards, WeeNel.
rainbowcarrot
Brunswick, OH

May 19, 2013
4:17 PM

Post #9526243

Thanks for the help everyone! I resolved to not be discouraged and I planted a few things and they're growing well so far. Luckily, it seems the morning sun isn't as important as I thought. I didn't know that 6 hours of sun meant full sun, and that's definitely been helpful in my planting. I hope all goes well throughout the season but I have high hopes!

Thanks again!
S

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2013
5:05 PM

Post #9526281

Glad it seems to be working out! Happy gardening!
davidsl88
Worcester, MA

May 21, 2013
5:33 AM

Post #9528107

rainbow, I think your veggie garden is going to be just fine and you'll be trying to figure out what to do with it all at the end of summer! Keep in touch...

WeeNel,

You're right about the weeds not knowing their correct address. My neighbors over-the-fence are very nice but there's just no way to ask them to do something about it as after all, it is THEIR yard! LOL! I'm fighting a very aggressive invader right now and have managed to keep it in the one spot so far but only by pulling it daily. I can't get a grip on it because it's spreading underground via the extensive root system. I sprayed weed killer under the fence and now I'm considering sacrificing the tulip bulbs in order to dig it out. Hope you have a good season!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America