Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cacti and Succulents: unknown Florida Palm (?)

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 4, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 23, 2013
4:58 PM

Post #9494913

I asked permission from the owner (that is unusual for me) and was able to walk around this palm and get losts of shots but it ws so bright outside that my camera did not adjust too well. I am unsure if he pruned it to grow in this form or not. but it was fascinating to me. He said he thought it was called a "Walking Palm" but didn't know. When he purchased the house the plant was totally covered by other growth and he did not even know it was there until he cleared away the jungle around it. Any thoughts on what it is? Thanks, xuling

Thumbnail by xuling   Thumbnail by xuling   Thumbnail by xuling
Click an image for an enlarged view.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2013
5:14 AM

Post #9497644

Not a palm. That is a pandanus... most likely Pandanus utilis, but need a closer up shot of leaf margins to tell. Also known as a screw pine. Is this plant in California, because I have not seen one with this extensive a root system above ground in California?... most have been on the east coast where it's a lot more humid. Several species of Pandanus grow well here and utilis is certainly one of them. Just looks a bit too happy and 'at home' for being in California- good looking specimen.
allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 26, 2013
3:39 PM

Post #9498264

Socratea exorrhiza?
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 27, 2013
11:15 AM

Post #9499056

Sorry for neglecting the important palmbob. You are quite correct, it is in Fort Myers FL where I was visiting. I doubt that I have any close up of the leaf margins but will look. if not I could ask friends to get a photo. Thanks for the info. Xuling

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2013
11:08 PM

Post #9499431

that makes sense. Florida is a great climate for many Pandans.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America