Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

unknown Florida Palm (?)

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

I asked permission from the owner (that is unusual for me) and was able to walk around this palm and get losts of shots but it ws so bright outside that my camera did not adjust too well. I am unsure if he pruned it to grow in this form or not. but it was fascinating to me. He said he thought it was called a "Walking Palm" but didn't know. When he purchased the house the plant was totally covered by other growth and he did not even know it was there until he cleared away the jungle around it. Any thoughts on what it is? Thanks, xuling

Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Not a palm. That is a pandanus... most likely Pandanus utilis, but need a closer up shot of leaf margins to tell. Also known as a screw pine. Is this plant in California, because I have not seen one with this extensive a root system above ground in California?... most have been on the east coast where it's a lot more humid. Several species of Pandanus grow well here and utilis is certainly one of them. Just looks a bit too happy and 'at home' for being in California- good looking specimen.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Socratea exorrhiza?

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Sorry for neglecting the important palmbob. You are quite correct, it is in Fort Myers FL where I was visiting. I doubt that I have any close up of the leaf margins but will look. if not I could ask friends to get a photo. Thanks for the info. Xuling

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

that makes sense. Florida is a great climate for many Pandans.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.