CLOSED: Hawk-Coopers or Sharpie

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

So… it's raining out and I see this hawk in the tree. It seems much smaller than the other cooper's hawks that visit. But maybe too big for a sharp-shinned. And since I have never seen a sharp-shinned, I'm not quite sure what I've got here. I can't even SEE any legs since this one is so fluffed out from the rain/cold. But the head seemed a little more rounded to me. It might just be me hoping that I have a new bird though. ha.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Okay, I'm answering my own. LOL. Coopers. Probably male because it was small. http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/AboutBirdsandFeeding/accipiterIDtable.htm

(Zone 5a)

I'd go with Cooper's as well. The tail is rounded.

We used to see Cooper's, but now the few times we've had an accipiter, it's been a Sharp-shinned. They have no pants. :D That is how someone once described a Sharp-shinned and I am sure I will never forget that.

NO PANTS? that's funny. Meaning, you see a bunch of the legs?

I read on cornell where they said a small male coopers might be as big as a female sharpie. So I suppose that's what I had. I'm sure once I finally see one, it will be obvious to me.

(Zone 5a)

Yup, their legs are quite exposed. As soon as the children see one of these, they yell "It has no pants!". I am glad we've only seen these at home.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.