Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: Starting seeds, Part 4

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 160, Views: 961
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2013
7:16 PM

Post #9495076

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1304074/

We're still at it, still sowing seeds for our gardens, still asking questions, still sharing methods, successes and disappointments, all are welcome.

The latest topic was on late summer sowing of perennials. I've tried sowing a couple of things in late summer and early fall, but without much success. I'm not sure how to set things up properly, I'd Ike to work on that.

I'm working on mostly annuals now, but still trying a few recalcitrants and a few new acquisitions. My big excitement of the moment is that one Schizanthus sprouted. I'm hoping for more...

This message was edited Apr 23, 2013 9:24 PM

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

April 23, 2013
9:16 PM

Post #9495173

Glad you got at least one Schizanthus.

To sow late summer or early fall, you need a greenhouse or what I used, a plain coldframe. Actually it is just 4 boards 12" tall placed together in square formation. I got lucky and got culled lumber at HD cheap. No need for cover since you aren't trying to protect them from the weather. It just protects them from animals and give you some control over them in an somewhat enclosed area.

Family $ was selling a set that I bought last year. I have 3 coldframes. Walmart and Sam's Club also sells them. Can't remember what I paid. They are holding iris and Daylily seedlings.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2013
9:25 PM

Post #9495180

I have a sort-of cold frame, but never quite got it in the right spot. Every spring I look at it and think how to make it more useful, but never get around to fixing it. I end up using the stand with the plastic cover most of the time.

Do you use cell packs and 2" or 4" pots, or cluster sow everything in larger containers? Do you cover the pots at all while waiting for germination? What do you do about watering?
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2013
9:44 PM

Post #9495189

OK, now I get it. I just went back to the old thread and re-read your detailed post. You started the seeds in the usual way, either in the greenhouse or (I guess) indoors, then transplanted them into the cold frame for the winter. I could probably use my covered stand for that phase. And I do have raised beds in my little veggie area, I've actually put some co-op and newly divided babies in them to over-winter.

But what about, for instance, Astrantia, Eryngium Miss Willmott's Ghost, some Aquilegias, that are soooo tricky? I can't wintersow, because we're not around after the solstice. I've tried sowing a few things in vented containers before closing the house in late November, with no results. Maybe I'd be better off to direct sow in a cold frame, and maybe cover it with Reemay or something similar just to keep out debris and soften the elements a little?

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

April 24, 2013
2:18 AM

Post #9495262

I use those plastic-covered stands as well, except this year. New puppy wouldn't leave them alone, next year she'll be old enough not to feel the need to explore everything by chewing :)

I have a few packets of seed that I just bought that need cold stratification, I'll throw the pots in the frig in June or July, then bring them out in August.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2013
10:42 AM

Post #9495685

blomma, I was planting my trees, shrubs, Peonies, Iris g., and Roses. I started last Oct. and finished what I could before winter set in. All were already in pots waiting for the ground. those I didn't finish are sitting in pots and will be put in this spring. I did make sure to keep them watered in good over the winter tho. Last time I looked (about a week ago), the Lonicera tatarica was showing green swollen buds, so I know they made it.

We just had 2" of snow yesterday, now waiting for it to melt off so I can start getting outside. Suppost to be mid 60*s tomorrow and then into the 70*s. I'm soooo ready. Chat at you all later...Kathy

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

April 24, 2013
7:39 PM

Post #9496183

Pfg wrote:OK, now I get it. I just went back to the old thread and re-read your detailed post. You started the seeds in the usual way, either in the greenhouse or (I guess) indoors, then transplanted them into the cold frame for the winter. I could probably use my covered stand for that phase. And I do have raised beds in my little veggie area, I've actually put some co-op and newly divided babies in them to over-winter.

But what about, for instance, Astrantia, Eryngium Miss Willmott's Ghost, some Aquilegias, that are soooo tricky? I can't wintersow, because we're not around after the solstice. I've tried sowing a few things in vented containers before closing the house in late November, with no results. Maybe I'd be better off to direct sow in a cold frame, and maybe cover it with Reemay or something similar just to keep out debris and soften the elements a little?

I can see why you can't winter sow. Why not follow my method by sowing in August then place the seedling in your coldframe for the winter. The stand can only take potted seedlings and that isn't safe. The pots could crack with moisture and freezing. The seedling are much safer with roots in the ground. If you happen to have some kind of mulch (grass clipping, etc.) would keep soil evenly moist. By the way, I used to have Aquilegias and never found them tricky. They do need stratification.

You can even do what I do to iris seeds by sowing in plastic shoe boxes with moist seed mix. Put them in a larger bin and cover to keep them safe. Leave on the north side of a building, or unheated garage all winter. By the time you come back to your summer home, they may be ready to start germinating.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

April 24, 2013
7:43 PM

Post #9496195

Here is what I mean. these are for Iris seeds but you can do the same with any seeds. Notice that they are covered to keep the seed mix from drying out.

These were done winter of 2011. I have 144 iris seedling in my garden nurseries that were sown in those containers.

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2013
4:03 AM

Post #9496384

I did exactly that year before last with 2 types of Aquilegia and Eryngium Miss Willmott's Ghost. Nothing came up. I even left the box out in the garden all year, and this spring there is still nothing. I thought maybe it dried out at some point after germination and seedlings died, but since we're not there for 4 months there's no way to know.

I used the type of box in the pic, the same ones I use for spring sowing. About 2 or 3" of potting soil, then another inch or 2 of seed starting soil on top, and left it on the north side of the house in shelter but open to the elements. The box has plenty of drainage holes (I use a soldering iron) and holes for venting on top. Both top and bottom are lined with Reemay to keep out slugs and other undesirables.

I thought I'd try sowing in containers in the stand, then plant the seedlings in the cold frame for the winter. I wouldn't leave anything in the stand once we leave. There would be no way to make sure of watering, for one thing. BTW, the pots don't disintegrate over the winter. I leave lots of things in them in a back area of the garden, usually small divisions of plants I don't want to lose track of, like single daylily or iris fans for instance.

Thumbnail by Pfg
Click the image for an enlarged view.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

April 25, 2013
8:45 PM

Post #9497406

Pfg'
You can winter sow if you premoisted the seed mix (just damp, not wet), then sow your seeds in November, or just before leaving your house. You want to sow when the nights are cold. Then cover the box/s. They will not need any looking after once the cover is on. You can place the box anyplace as long as it is out of the sun. I like the plastic shoeboxes for the lids that snaps on.

I have never left my seed boxes open to the elements. Rain and/or snow can come so fast that it can dislodge the seeds. Also, moisture won't stay even, not to mention animals. Or too much moisture, or not enough.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2013
8:59 PM

Post #9497421

I've decided that soaking tiny seeds isn't worth it unless I can find a better way to plant them evenly. Sure, the ones I soaked came up quickly, but the placement in the cells was very spotty. As an experiment, I soaked Lobelia Crystal Palace last weekend for 24 hours, then planted in a cell pack. I had another package which I did the regular way, and had enough seeds for 4 packs. Wet seeds stick together, which makes things very difficult. We'll see what comes up..
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2013
9:02 PM

Post #9497425

Cross post...

Blomma, the box wasn't open, it had a top on. But the box was not placed under an overhang, so it could get rained on, etc, but never got direct sun.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 26, 2013
4:16 AM

Post #9497556

Just took these pics-- look at the difference between these 2 types of petunias! P Easy Wave started blooming at 6 weeks, and they are branching nicely with no pinching. The roots are now bursting out of the bottom of the pot. I have to give them more room since there's still a month to go before planting outside. But P Storm hasn't really gotten going yet. Yesterday I moved them up from cell packs, and the roots were just filling them, not all that firmly. They could have stayed in there longer.

Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg         

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 26, 2013
9:29 AM

Post #9497909

Pam, which Aquuileia are you trying to get started? If I have them I will share in your May box... So far I have: A. short spur pink, A. short spur blue, A. 'Sweet Rainbows', A. 'Maggie Mae', A. c.' Denver's Gold', these have all been potted on, (ok some that I have a ton of are waiting to be potted later ) These varieties are waiting to be potted on: A. (a mix of numerous varieties), A. 'Chocolate Soldier's', A. vulgaris 'Winky Dbl Rose/white', A. stelata 'Christa Barlow'.

And I started these without any special treatment (cold or other), was my regular method and surface sown, lol, and SEE they do start just fine (for me, maybe they like me, lol)..

Weatherpersons reported this was the 2nd coldest April on recored (going back more than 100 years), boy, I'm ready for some warmer temps... 60s and 70s sound wonderful, thankyou very much!!! (We had a few temps last week still in the teens).
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 26, 2013
12:08 PM

Post #9498077

Maggie Mae is the one I had trouble with. I have seeds again (thanks!) but haven't done anything with them yet. Christa Barlow is happy with me, I'm planning on getting her and a few others hardened off this weekend. Night temps are going to the mid 30's, but not freezing. Everything that was out in the covered stand is getting booted, and the next batch is going into it from the house.

How soon can I put the Dianthus out? BTW, the fragrance is heavenly! Also, in the seeds you sent me I have lots of lovely lavender, and one gorgeous white :))))).

Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg         

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 26, 2013
3:57 PM

Post #9498283

I opened up the mini GH today to let the sun and breezes in, an absolutely gorgeous day, mid- to-high 60's.

Our nights are getting slightly warmer, above freezing by a couple of degrees, 34 degrees predicted for tonight. All the digitalis and some lettuce starts are staying outside of the covered stand tonight. At the last minute, the Alchemilla and Aquilegia got tucked in for one more night. Too much schlepping and I really didn't have to bother because there was a shelf free for the snaps and campanula that made the journey from the city this morning and spent the day outside.

ONE (1) Detroit Red Beet seed germinated after 2 weeks, it was about a mile long. First I thought it was a twist tie that had somehow gotten stuck in one of the cells. But when I pulled on it, there were roots. No leaves. Really?!

Oops, time to set the table, DH is making dinner ;)
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9501373

Temps during the week were 70/34. Absolutely gorgeous weekend.

Red Ace beets germinated in less than a week inside, no heat. I barely looked at them, spent the whole weekend outside, cleaning up and clearing.

Hardened off all digitalis, aquilegia, most campanula and snaps. Left everything on self watering trays in the covered stand with the door rolled up, covered loosely with Reemay so they stay cool. Next week: planting. Whoopee!!

Back in the city, un-soaked Lobelia came up in 5 days, thick and evenly sown. So much for that.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

April 29, 2013
12:35 PM

Post #9501379

Was the lobelia under lights?
I did not start any so,--- I bought plants, but if they start that quick----
there is time here too.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2013
4:44 PM

Post #9501732

No lights, but under a dome, in a warm apartment. I used new Hart's L Crystal Palace seeds, they're the deepest blue. I was quite surprised to see tiny green fuzz so soon.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

April 29, 2013
8:00 PM

Post #9501993

Thanks. It may be they do not take as long as I thought.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

April 30, 2013
5:11 AM

Post #9502323

Hardening off seedlings...cosmos, beans of all sorts, Limelight 4 O'Clocks, Castor bean, nasturtiums, and assorted Ipomoeas.

New sprouts: More WS stuff coming up, the plants that like it a little warmer. I probably have 6 or 8 Orlaya now! WS is def the way to go with these. I'm disappointed not to see sprouts of variegated KMOGG, I know they germinated well last year, but it was unseasonably warm and I'm hoping I'm just impatient.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9502481

None of my WS stuff is coming up yet, but in the garden things are springing to life so it won't be long. My WS is actually SS, Spring Sowing, and late even for that, so I may not get everything. I didn't do anything tricky, saved a bunch of seeds to try for late summer/ fall germination.

My Orlaya is doing well, started it inside in late March. It took two weeks to germinate after soaking for 24 hours, then leaving it by an open window for the cold treatment.

I may have 1 Veronica seedling... Or maybe it's a stray, lol. Something is growing in there!

Celene, what zone are you in? You must be a lot warmer there. We still have nights in the low 40's, too cold for the plants you mention.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

April 30, 2013
7:16 AM

Post #9502494

I'm 6a. I keep my WS plants domed with 6" domes, that helps a lot.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2013
7:28 AM

Post #9502514

Do you have a pic of your set-up? Here's mine, not from this year, but the same thing I'm doing now.

Thumbnail by Pfg

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2013
1:09 PM

Post #9502963

Pam...just harden off the Dianthus, the same as other plants, now is good. Love the pix, the pink is sooooo pretty.. Glad you like the smell, heavenly huh!!?

Ran out of puter air time so probably won't be back til next Tues, (sharing with 6 other people soooooo, Lol, the kids beat me to it.) Will check in later to read any new posts.

Anyway it's suppose to rain this afternoon and then change to snow overnight, (6-10"), am hoping my babies I moved outside the other day make it ok... They are in a covered area with 2 layers of remay as it's suppose to get down to the upper 20*-30*. Doesn't look like it will warm up again til the end of the week. I'm soooooooooooo ready to get plants out of the house..lol. I wanna garden! Still a bunch to do yet. In the back where I'm establishing my new garden, still waiting on new buds for most things. Got a few things that are coming out of their winter slumber but not enough to see how much made it thru the winter, which was soo dry early in the season. But now we are catching up on moisture, just need the warmth... Am sure I lost a few Iris, shucks... and they were some that I had sent away for... A few peonies are waking, honeysuckle bushes (atleast 4 of 5), and the buds are starting to swell on a few of the trees, but one got injured over the winter, deer rubbed off the bark on one side, I'm hoping I can save it!!!!! It's a beautiful Linden tree!!!! Now ya can figure out why I dislike those critters as much as I do!!! GGGGRRRRRRRR! I'd love 'em if they would stay out of the garden, but they seem to have a path that comes straight thru my place, many of the Iris were stomped on and have been replanted.. Guess I better get that new fencing up PRONTO!!!

Still potting things on, am thinking it will be months, maybe I should put off doing most of the biennials or those perenns that won't bloom til next year anyhow.. Ive got plenty of annuals to work on. Ok, you all have a great week!!!!
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2013
1:37 PM

Post #9503008

I hate them too, have seen a few nibbles already. Time to spray. Grrrrrrr!!!!

Maybe it's time to move outside, along with all our babies... I decided not to start my own marigolds and cosmos and other of the usual annuals this year. I already have so many I can't live without- snaps, petunias, lobelia, Nicotianas, Verbena Bonariensis, not to mention a few new ones, like Dracocephalum, Datura, Ceratothca- or is it perennial? ...and can't think of the rest right now... I'll get them all in, then see if I need to fill in and go buy a few 6-packs.

Newly cleared bed, where lots of Sunflowers and tall self seeders are going to battle it out with the tall grasses. Yep, I had help, he worked 7 hours, I worked 10. But he did all the heaviest lifting. My butt still knows I was out there, though, but at least my back is OK, lol.

Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg      

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2013
8:49 AM

Post #9505320

HI...I'm back..lol. Daughter decided to increase computer time, yeah!!!
I ended up with 5+" of snow, but it's the cool temps I'm not sure about. The babies outside got covered with 2 layers of remay blanket. The low this morning was 22*. I still haven't been out to look yet, still waiting for it to warm today, will get to 45*. May go look later, if not will check tomorrow.

Hey Pam, after hubby is done will just about be warm enough here for him to help me...lol.

Need to start those last minute Annuals but I look at what I've got already and go yikes, but I know if I don't I'll regret not having some of them... Oh ya...Pam if you still want your Cosmos can just throw the seed where you want them. They will sprout ontheir own when they are ready... I quit doing them inside cuz they truely are as easy as just throwing the seed!!!!! If you need more seed I have sooooooooo much, let me know.. (I have bags of seed, mostly a mix of Sensation and seems like I threw another variety out there to mix in a few years back.)

Hey Susie, how are your seeds doing.

I saw a few Daffs. out there the other day before the snow...shucks I forgot to stop and smell them...Will have to see how they faired this last go around with snow and cool temps. Also have some Johnny-jump-ups that are blooming.

Weatherman reported that April was the second coldest in the last 80 years. Wow, I thought it was cool...lol. Guess that's why I haven't done any cleanup yet.

Ok will chat at you all later..Have a good day!! Kathy
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2013
9:26 AM

Post #9505362

Sooooo glad you got more time! Missed you!

Is it usual for you to get so much snow this late? For us it's extremely unlikely, although it has been known to happen, and never that much. Our night temps have been above freezing lately, hope that continues. I hope all your babies made it under the Reemay. 22 seems reeeeaaaally cold! Brrrrr!

That isn't hubby in the pic above... Our general landscape guy who has a crew do our mowing and big clean ups let me have one of his guys @ $12/hr for the day, not bad around here. He moved some huge daylily clumps out from the back of the bed, and moved some huge clumps of grasses from the front to the back. The un- mulched section has a lot more tall grass and some other stuff it was too soon to identify, so I left it for now. I think there were only two varieties of grasses there, but there could have been more, planted before my time. That bed has been pretty much a huge mess with weeds and volunteers, so I've always winced and not looked too closely. It's pretty from a distance when the grasses bloom, but the time has finally come to get control of it... At least I hope that's what I'm doing, lol.

Today I realized I really, really want Impatiens Balfourii even though it's late. So while I was at it I also started Impatiens Balsamina, Zinnias Envy and Oklahoma Ivory, and Cosmos Versailles Flush. Everything else is direct sow or buy. I know Cosmos comes quick, but I really want to see this one, new to me. Also, I have a lot to direct sow at this point, and a lot yet to come up in the Spring Sown box. Come to think of it, Cosmos might have been a good one to start that way.

I think I have one (1) seedling of Veronica Fairytale! It was in a 3 oz cup, seed starting mix with a topper of vermiculite, for 2 1/2 weeks. It's not the first time this year I tried that method-- thanks, WWK!- but either it's a stray of something else, or It finally worked. It's so late now that I may not find out what it is before fall though, lol.

Tomorrow morning I pack up another flat or two to take out to the house. Babies in the miniGH get kicked out, more gets moved out of the house into it... Dianthus, for one. And once I see the Platys showing in the garden, I'll start working on those, too. I have a feeling they'll be about the last ones, though.

My body has recovered from last weekend, time to get out there again- Can't wait!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2013
10:32 AM

Post #9505414

Yes we can get snow into May, not that unusual around here... In Denver the last date is usually April 25th ish, but not uncommon to get it, but usually not that much.. and the temps are unusual, should be warmer...the overnight low was 19 in Denver..Yikes. High today 44* and is supppose to be 66*.

Yup, thought I was going into withdrawal...lol.. Seems like the only people I can talk plants with are here at Dave's so is very nice to have the computer..lol.. I can't help it if this is my hobby.. You ever notice how much most us sound like we are talking about our kids (OUR PROUD LITTLE BABIES) lol..
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2013
12:07 PM

Post #9505529

Same for me, lol

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

May 2, 2013
6:11 PM

Post #9505947

It is easier to feel triumphant if I tell people here "I germinated sinningia seeds from my own plants!!!" and you understand why that is so cool.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2013
7:23 PM

Post #9506030

Very, very cool -- I had to look it up, lol

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2013
7:53 PM

Post #9506082

Ok, I'll have to look up that $12 word...lol.

When you stop and think that most of the gardening I have done has been started from seed, (exceptions are the Iris, Peonies, and Lilies were bought, tho I've started those from seed also). Yes, pride does set in..lol. (sorry...lol.) To think my garden was started from the plants in the last two pix...Hobbies...aren't they great!! I still have seed that has been collected from the past 20 or so years..

Ok, now I'll go look up the word, might even be a $20 word...lol. :-)

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2013
8:03 PM

Post #9506095

Kudos!! lol, I've grown a hardy Gloxinia has anyone else? LOL.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2013
9:33 PM

Post #9506168

I'm always blown away by what you've done there, it's such a huge undertaking. But I think this year, between what you planted last fall and the seeds you started this winter, you have surpassed yourself. I have energy, but you leave me in the dust!

I have a whole pile of seeds to try late summer/fall sowing, which I'm really looking forward to. But right now, all I want to do is get into the garden and dig, dig dig. I'm sure I have lots of company :-)

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2013
9:34 PM

Post #9506169

Tee hee... Just learned how to do that! :-). :-)

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2013
10:17 PM

Post #9507429

Does anyone recognize the plant in pix 1. This was suppose to be the Digitalis grandiflora, it reminds me of Potentilla or Geum. Any ideas now that it's a bit bigger and I have a close up of it?

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

May 4, 2013
1:09 AM

Post #9507470

Def not any kind of Digitalis I've seen. Geum leaves are different; it could be a potentilla, though.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2013
1:26 AM

Post #9507475

Def not D Grandiflora. Doesn't look like Geum to me either. Could it be the wild
P Recta? Pale yellow flowers. But the leaves seem too big and not quite right for that either. Maybe try the plant ID forum?

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2013
8:39 AM

Post #9507821

Pix 1A mix of babies, in front is a tray of Nicotiana sylvestris, some Digitalis behind and in the far back I see some Alcea (hollyhocks).
Pix 2 Verbascum chaixii
Pix 3 Pam...I experimented, when I took a clippings (2) off my Platycodons, I stuck them in an open cell. One kealed over after a few days and here is the other. Looks like it might just root for me...So next time try it and see what you can come up with..More plants..lol. Yeah!!

This message was edited May 4, 2013 8:42 AM

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy      

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2013
10:05 AM

Post #9507889

I need to try it on my double Perl. I'm so afraid I'm going to lose that 1 bitty plant before it grows up and makes babies!

Thumbnail by Pfg

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2013
1:42 PM

Post #9508045

When the blooms are done, cut off a 2 or 3 node section. Clip off the bottom leaves and leave stem no more than 1/4" and place in soil so the nodes are just below the soil line (1/4"-1/2"). The one that didn't make it was not as mature of stem cutting as the one that did. I stuck two more i today, we'll see...(could also dip in rooting hormone too, tho I didn't)
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2013
3:00 PM

Post #9508118

Cool! Just like any other cutting, sounds like, although I have very little experience doing it myself. I think I'll wait until the plant is more mature. Cutting a whole stem is giving up a lot of flowers! This is the first time she's opened 2 at the same time. :-)

How is it possible that I started in December, kept going all winter, and now feel sooooooo behind?! Today was so beautiful, low 70's. So today bought--horrors, how lazy!-- peas! Anyway, I planted one veggie bed, the snap peas, Red Ace Beets (my starts), and lots of lettuce (mostly mine), and covered it with a frost blanket. Overkill I know , but my thinner stuff is all in shreds.

We are very dry here right now, so yesterday I found the timers, put the batteries in, and started checking out the irrigation system I put in last summer. Sketchy, but it mostly works, just a couple of missing heads, which I was able to figure out without losing too much time. Last fall, while I still remembered what was what, and to take advantage of end-of-season sales, I bought lots of things I thought I might need, and enough extras that I'm sure I can tweak and expand the system now. Only problem is, there are soooooo many itty bitty parts marked with warehouse codes... Do you think I have any idea any more what is what?!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2013
6:38 PM

Post #9508364

Phew! Pam yer crazy. I haven't read the thread for over a month and had a heck of a time chasing you!

I started too much from seed last year and didn't have the time to tend it, so I'm starting a little a time. I have to say that this year's "spring" is really putting a cramp in my extended growing season.

Nice work Kathy and Pam. You make my head spin.

I grabbed up some of this Ammi major you keep talking about in the robin. Tell me why it's so rare.

I'll just be content to follow along. Right now I'm waiting on some black pincushion flower, euphorbia marginata, white swan echinacea, veronicastrum virginianum. Over did it with the milkweeds this year. Have no idea where I will plant them all, but I am going to single-handedly bring back the population from the bring of extinction.

Keep up the good work.

A.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2013
9:14 AM

Post #9508984

Amanda...The Ammi major is rubra, that's what makes it rare ( the rubra, is red or dark pink) and can't be found on the market to be bought).. I received as a seed trade more than 15 years ago. Grew it once and then moved. Just refound the seed this spring and thought I'd share. It did germinate quickly for me and I have scads of babies. I just hope I didn't mix it up with the white form of A. m. which I had also grown at that time, but envelope I put the seed in did say Rubra, so I'm hoping my labeling was correct. If by chance it is wrong please forgive. But you will enjoy it if either. This is not the roadside wild flower that many people refer to. This plant will be about 24-30" (was in my garden), redish pink umbels, ( if it were to be the white flowered variety it will get 36" with white flowers). So all in all the seed is 15 years old but all of mine germinated or was very high %, I tested it before offering. So I hope you enjoy.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2013
10:47 AM

Post #9509098

I did look it up before I took some seed. I figured I couldn't go wrong with another plant for pollinators. Can always count on you Kathy! I'm looking forward to sprouting them.

I fancy my own garden as a meadow/prairie garden, and Court last summer said it was like "a powerline easement" which to me was high praise.

I'm also considering, however remotely, relocating for work to somewhere in your neck of the woods (perhaps even farther north)(sad sad face) in my quest for prairie land. Very keen on the prairie restoration going on in the middle of nowhere and re-introduction of Biston and Elk. If we make serious plans in that direction I will definitely be looking for your input.

A.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2013
4:54 PM

Post #9509581

I also had very good germination of your elderly seed ;^) with my Spring Sowing. That and Verbena Bonariensis are the first to pop. Our days are warming up, this whole weekend has been gorgeous. The nights are hovering just above freezing, 34-37.

We are also having a major drought, the only rain in sight is days away, and only 30-40% likely. I spent the day working on kinks in the system. Last night I boned up on the parts and mostly know what they are for now. But today I discovered that there are huge dry-as-bone areas I need to fix quick. In my haste to get irrigation set up before leaving for 6 weeks last summer, I cut some corners because I was running out of supplies. It didn't matter then, it rained regularly while we were away, but now, Yikes! All those months of raising babies, only to let them shrivel up- no way! So we are staying until tomorrow afternoon so I can make sure I have it all covered.

Does Echinacea White Swan come true from seed?

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2013
8:33 PM

Post #9509896

Amanda...did you get some of the Daucus carota seed too? It's a host plant for the Swallowtail Butterflies, they lay their eggs on it and after hatching it's food for the worms before caccoon stage I believe. (both plants are related too; Daucus c. is Biennial and can reach 5-7 foot. It's yummy and I just love them). The Ammi's are Annual with reseeding tendencies.

Gosh Pam, thanks for reminding me, I've wanted to grow Verbena bonariensis for years...got some seed out of the box, almost forgot about it. And if I remeber correctly, yes the Echi. White Swan does come true...It's been a few years since I've grown it. Most any of the Echies. that are more than I'd say 10 years old should come true from seed, it's all those new ones from the past 5 years -ish that don't, from what I've read. ( I was naughty...the other day when I went to get pots, I got another Echie. paradoxa(yellow). I meant to collect seed last fall and didn't, so now I have 2..lol. Ya, ya, I picked up some other things too...I'm soo bad, all 2 1/2" pots.

Ok, I'll beat you to the question...lol. Here are the others:
Pardancanda (cross of Belamcanda and I believe Vesper's Iris, it has shades of purple and pink flowers)
Thalictrum Delavayi
Dictamnous purpureas Alba
Echinacea paradoxa
Gaura lindheimeri (whirrling butterflies), love this plant, doesn't seem to be all that hardy for me so I get a new one every few years
Belemcanda Hello Yellow
Nepeta faassenii x Blue Wonder
Veronia Fasciculata (2-4 foot)
Rudbeckia subtomentosa Sweet Coneflower (3-6 foot)
Geranium cinereum Ballerina
Artemesia lactiflora Guizhow (4 foot x 18")
Scutellaria Resinosa SmokeyHills
Eupatorium Chocolate (36-48")
Oenothara berlandieri Siskiyou Pink
Artemisia Powis Castle
Iris odaesanensis (12"^ x 6">, white and yellow)
Tiarella cordifolia
Lily pycnostachya ( think I better check that spelling again tomorrow, lol, can't even read my handwriting)
Clematis scottii (Scott's Sugarbowls 8-16")
Thalictrum Rochebrunianum (5 foot x 2 foot)
Papaver orientalis Royal Wedding
Iris lactea ( 20" soft blue and yellow)
Atlas Daisy (does anyone remember the botanical name off hand)
Atleast some of them are unusuals.

Pix 1: Daucus carota
2: Daucus c., close up of an umbel
3:Ammi (don't remember if this is A. visagana or A. majus, am growing both this year so I can identify my seed correctly, one is taller and more greenish white than the other).

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy      

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2013
8:52 PM

Post #9509914

Hi Kathy - yes I did get some of that seed too. I was a tad confused when I saw on the packet that said "wwwKathy to PFG" but I figured you sent so much seed Pam just put it back in for the rest of us. Thanks! :)

You've got a fabulous list of plants there. I have tried to start the E. paradoxa. I may have gotten one seedling. I think I planted it out in the "back 40" last year. I did put a tag next to it and there's a small plant there. Sometimes when I trade I don't always get the proper seed for the species. Sometimes it's just a guessing game. This is one of those times.

I learned something about the E'chocolate' last season. I dug up 5 plants I'd grown from seed to move them. They had been in place for at least 2 years. I thought they wanted a little shade. they would suffer some wilt midday but come back at the end. Well the year after I moved them they came up in spades where they had been which was quite a shock! They had never spread, not one single volunteer, plenty of seed. It's apparently that kind of plant that reproduces from broken root-stock. Ack! Now I am pulling them up like weeds. It's amazing. So I have a lot to give away at our RUs this month and next. Lovely plant.

Well that's my tip for the day/night. Talk to you later!
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2013
9:23 PM

Post #9509935

ANACYCLUS pyrethrum 'Mount Atlas Daisy’

For me, A Majus only gets around 24," maybe a little taller. Last year I had it with E White Swan and a white Veronica.

Love that Tiarella! Started with one plant rescued from a crack in a stone wall several years ago. Last fall I spread it around quite a bit. Can't wait to see it do its thing this year.

Also love Thalictrum Delayvii. I have 3 plants, been trying to increase them. Last year I got seedlings by scattering seeds in a large pot late the previous fall, then let them grow there until September before planting in the garden. This spring, although the original plants are coming up strong, there is no sign of the babies :(

I had a much smaller shopping episode yesterday, but bigger pots: Thalictrum Black Stocking, Polemium Bressingham Purple, a nice big pot of blooming white Hyacinths and some snap peas.

Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2013
11:20 PM

Post #9509972

Lol Amanda, I have plenty to share ..hey Pam, did you ever get any Daucus carota seed from me? If not let me know I have seed I can include in your May plant trade box. Just let me know...

.Yup, wasn't sure whether to get the Tiarella c. or T. c. Whereii, the gal said they are pretty much the same. Love the pix...

I'm hoping the Thalictrums do good for me this year...I had them at a lower elevation garden in semi shade. I also have one planted here from 2 years ago, but with the drought last year it sulked and didn't bloom. Here they will be in full sun tho at 6900ft, so should be cooler for them and can take the sun. I also grew from seed T. flavum, which is yellow, (I'll have to find seed for that one again).

Am soo looking forward to this summer, my gosh I have many, many new goodies. I hope they are all my new favorites..lol. And phooey, some I have to wait til next year for blooms..guess the annuals will just have to do double duty til then. (But I am wondering about those that are out in the cool temps under remay, some just might get enough cooling to enduce bloom this year, maybe I should get more out there as they are saying temps will be cool for another 10 days. Highs in the 60*s and lows have been down to the low to mid 30*s here. Ok, I need to get to bed..lol. Chat later. Kathy

1: Crambe cordifolia, spring, 5 foot. This is one of those plants that if you dig and move it you'll get babies coming up from the roots also.. Am thinking I need to move some into the back yard this spring and let it do it's thing there...yeah!!! BABIES! lol.

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2013
6:28 AM

Post #9510230

My Thalictrum is in shade, loves it but doesn't seed. Years ago on LI, I had it near containers and every spring there were lots of babies there. My current plants are offspring from then, ca '97-'00. I guess I should have waited til now to plant the new ones, but worried about the pot drying out over the winter.
This year I'll plan better. T Black Stockings is a new hybrid from Terra Nova, division is the only way-- or maybe I'll try cuttings. That might be quicker!

I've admired Crambe from afar in the Brit books, but didnt realize it would do well in our zone. Hmmmmm... Now to find the right spot BEFORE I find the plant, so it doesn't croak in the pot before I decide what to do with it! Lol...

Amanda, I've been thinking about moving my Joe Pye... Maybe I'd better think again!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2013
8:52 AM

Post #9510399

Just looked up Thalictrum ina book by A. Armitage. He states that thalictrum can b divided or seeded. But nothing about taking a slip to increase, although the propagators use tissue cultures. Can grow in shade or full sun, but when in full sun it's not as vigorous and blooms later.

On the other hand you can take slips of Eupatorium and root. Hmmm. But the book says nothing about them comming back from the roots left in the ground.. How big is that Joe Pye that you want to move? And if it were to come back you can always send the babies to me.. I could use those in the backyard as a barrier along the fence...lol, just saying... Also J. P. doesn't do well south of z7. Also that the common roadside plant is not as pretty as those grown for the garden, is that true? Also, Amamnda were they easy to grow from seed and was there any special treatment needed?

Another plant that has been coming back from broken roots is Phlox paniculata (David), and I'm using this method to increase my number of plants in the garden. I'm trying to create a stand of them. Looked last week and it looks like several have made it thru the winter so far.

not sure if these pix are of the same plant or both varieties I have in the garden. Should put on a good show this year as they are finally growing up and are making babies for me...I've been allowing seed to drop and last spring noticed a bunch of little ones.

Another plant that increases from roots is Papaver orientalis for those unaware of this potential. Hey, speaking of which, do poppies (o.) and hems. (daylily), bloom at the same time? (Normally) I will be planting poppies inbetween and around some hems. this spring so am wondering which color to add in the group of hems. if they are in bloom concurently. If not both at the same time I guess it doesn't matter. (I do not know the colors of the Hems. yet as they were received in trades). So far I have 1 white, about 10 or so of that Marlene (maroonish purple?), a redish orange, Coral Reef (5-10) and I'm thinking Elizabeth and a pinkish one is in the garden, the others are new.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2013
8:56 AM

Post #9510405

oops, trying to find pix of the two that I have, they are both next to each other and pix #2 is a goof.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2013
10:15 AM

Post #9510517

Hey Kathy ... you'd asked about the globe thistle too. ..no, I don't remember any special treatment for the chocolate eupatorium. You might remember I collected a lot of seed when I worked at the new England wildflower society's botanical garden. That was one of them. I also have ironweed coming up in that bed same seed source. Same 4 plants. I wonder... but no, I think I moved one and it did not transplant well.

Have you ever seen a white flowered solidago? Have seed for that too but species escapes me now. You (anyone?!) Would not happen to have Liatris ligulistylus to ship to me? :D

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 6, 2013
1:30 PM

Post #9510735

I started E. purpureum (Joe Pye Weed) from seed for my daughter some years ago when she lived in town. It grew to 4 feet tall. It is native from Eastern US so take the culture from that.

If I remember correctly, the seed were very tiny. I bought them from Parks. They need stratification. Hers bloomed beautifully. She sold the house---with JP and moved out of town in the boonies with alkaline soil not good for JP.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2013
7:03 PM

Post #9511173

Looked today while doing garden cleanup...and I'm thinking I lost most of my newly planted Joe Pyes, wow, can't beleive it...darn!!! I'm beginning to wonder if this last winter was harder on my plants than I thought... Maybe I should try to replace them this spring.

I did find that most of my Lythrum Mordens Pink made it throught the winter, am soooo glad as it's no longer available. In front Pix 1, Lythrum spikes, behind grandiflora roses and Becky Daisies.

Pix 2: Blooming now Iris buchanni (hope I spelled that correct) or is it buchanii, guess I should look.

Spent all day in cleaning up the garden, 8 hours straight and only 1/6th done on the main border...
Got fertilizer down in the main border the other day and now is suppose to rain everday for the next 4... Guess I timed that right.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy         

Mike2147
Holly Ridge, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2013
1:02 PM

Post #9512064

wow! What a read! Thank you all so much for the serious education I just received. I've been bugging the heck out of Amanda about starting some seeds this year and I think I answered the majority of those questions reading all FOUR pages of info in these threads. I'll try and post once I start but I feel like I'm way behind the power curve for this season already. I decided against the veggie garden this year as I'll be away from home too much and don't have any gardening buddies or neighbors near by to lend a hand watering while I'm out of town.

Thank you all again!
Mike

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2013
1:24 PM

Post #9512091

Sheeezzz Mike - told you it would take a while! I hope you were taking good notes. ;)

I just transplanted some swamp milkweed/A. incarnata up to 4" pots. I also took some A. viridis out of the refrigerator and have it incubating in a flat in sealed plastic in the iguana's room, 75+ temp year round, 45%-55% avg. humidity year round. Daytime temp in basking area is 95 deg.+. Overnight sleeping area is 68-75 deg. max.

Nice gig for an Ig, if you can get it.

Also a great place to start seeds if you can keep the Ig and cats/critters off them. :/

A.

Edited to say that the orange speck on Rita's nose is remnant butternut squash.

This message was edited May 7, 2013 4:25 PM

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

May 7, 2013
6:25 PM

Post #9512467

Love the iguana pic!
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2013
8:30 PM

Post #9512636

Lucky Rita!!! Quite the beauty she is, deserves only the best!

Welcome, Mike, glad you enjoyed the read :-). And please do post your experiences... The more, the merrier. We are all still learning, this thread has been quite an education for me, too.

Lots of stuff is just coming up in the garden now, but oh my, is it ever dry! Yesterday while working on the irrigation I found a few more powdery-dry areas. That may be why I lost my little Thalictrums. Grrr... I hope the first-year Platy Hakone Blues made it, they're in a particularly dry area. Didn't think to look for Joe Pye, but it's been in the ground a couple of years so should be OK. Want some?

Just before leaving for the weekend, I started a few Zinnias and Cosmos. They're already up 2"! Still waiting for Impatiens Balfourii and I Balsamina. Did I mention that I may have finally gotten one (1) Veronica Fairytale to sprout? It was soaked when I did the lobelia and a bunch of other stuff. I thought it might be a stray seed, but it doesn't look like anything else I sprouted, at least not so far. Once it gets its true leaves maybe I'll be able to see better what it is.

I trimmed a few petunias back last week and stuck 2 of the trimmings in empty cells. One looks just as perky is it did then. The other actually bloomed, but looked wilted. I cut off the blooms, maybe it will revive...

Tomorrow have to pot up a few things, especially the tomatoes. They are starting to look starved...

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

May 7, 2013
10:30 PM

Post #9512756

My Impatiens haven't germinated yet, either. Every year except last year, which was very warm, I start to think they're not going to germinate and I'll have to buy plants, and then they pop up.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2013
9:48 AM

Post #9513278

Ok...I typed a message and it disappeared, phoooo.

Amanda...do you have the same problem I have had growing A. incarnata. Plants looked great for a couple of months and then (again this year) they drop all their leaves. They are still alive and growing new points at the soil line, but are naked. And the Liatris you are talking about, is that the wild form? I have that variety that grows out in my feilds (the wild one). Will look for them this spring and get a pix for ya.

Pam...I'm waving my hands!!!!!! Here, here!!!! I'ld love some Joe Pye!!!! As much as you can spare... LOL. It looks like my Eupatorium joicus made it thru the winter, am soo glad, this will be it's second season. It's the varigated, white form, last year reached 4 ft, hoping it gets a bit taller. I can't beleive how late everything is to emerge this year... Still looking to see what made it thru the winter.

We're getting rain now, some last night, a bit this morning and more for the next 2 or 3 days. By the time it's done we could be getting 2+"... What a wonderful gift from the sky... Maybe our drought is finally done!!!!

Ok, got babies to attend to... Later all...Kathy
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2013
11:04 AM

Post #9513369

OK, JP for you. I'll put it on the list.

Just checked the radar. It's pouring at the house. Of course. And rain is predicted for several more days. Harrumph!

One Impatiens Balsamina so far...
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 8, 2013
5:46 PM

Post #9513788

Pam, was it you or Kathy that was asking about the Anthemis? (I know, on another thread.)

I found Anthemis 'E.C. Buxton' in Forest Farm as a cool lemon yellow and in Bluestone it has white flowers with yellow centers...I wonder which one has the right one. Still, here is your light yellow.

Also, Forest Farm has another one - A. tinctoria 'Moonlight' with pale yellow daisies in late summer.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2013
8:58 PM

Post #9513975

Must have been Kathy. Sounds nice though...

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 8, 2013
9:18 PM

Post #9513981

Although a relative of A. incarnata is drought resistan, A. incarnata is not, called by it common name Swamp Weed, which tell you its watering need.

I grew it from seed 5 years ago. It takes 3 years to bloom unlike other perennials that blooms the second year from seed. It will not do good without regular moisture---usually the reason for leaf drop. It thrive in full sun grows 3 to 4 ft high. Bees love the flowers.

If you can satisfy its moisture needs, it is an easy plant to grow. Add some manure and peatmoss in the hole when planting.

A. incarnata in July.

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma      

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2013
9:58 PM

Post #9513996

Thanks blomma - yes, I don't like the place I put them and they did take years to bloom, and even then only a few flowers. I still have 2 left of the original 5 that I purchased. If I had to guess, the ones that survived got more shade than the others. I did mulch heavily but could never give them enough water.

I won't care when they bloom since I grow them for their foliage (to feed monarch caterpillars!) but this bunch I will plant on a side of the house where water flows freely in the summer both from basement sump pump and the HVAC condensate overflow. I typically collect the HVAC condensate for watering over the summer. I have wondered if I can set up some kind of drip irrigation to farther parts of the yard. In the meantime, the "swamp" milkweed will do very nicely there, I think.

Whooo - I'm too tired to start Joe Pye from seed. Waving my arms too. Kathy I got some of your varigated seed in the robin and was very interested to see it. I will get to it eventually. Took my last exam today. Have a status report for my advisor due on monday, then I'm home free. :D

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 9, 2013
11:21 AM

Post #9514574

It was me...I was hoping someone might have some seed or babies to trade...haven't looked but think I might be able to find one or the other locally.. I have babies this spring of the gold one... I just like the light lemon yellow coloring, soo pretty. They bloom all summer too, and reseed at their feet. Thanks Evelyn. I haven't been to the most of the nurseries yet as spring is just about here...

It seems to me that when I had it in the garden, A. i. Ice Ballet, it bloomed 2nd season and lasted for about three years and then disappeared. I just figured that it was a short lived plant. And I have kept the seedling moist too.. Oh well, I'll just plant them out in a few weeks and look for bloom next spring..
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2013
5:08 PM

Post #9517244

False alarm on the Veronica, it turned out to be a stray Parsley seed :-(

Moved tomatoes from cells up to 5" pots. Put the rootball in the bottom, stripped the leaves off the stem except for the top ones, and filled the pot with potting mix. I stuck the best trimmings into cells, let's see if the grow root. I've been doing that with petunia trimmings and they are growing, so why not?!

Today I had to work in the city, tomorrow we head up to the house for a couple of days. Frost is predicted for Monday night, but I'm not worried. None of my tenders are outside, just the cool perennials. Their relatives are coming up in the garden already so mine should be fine. I just hope the heavy rain didn't flatten anything. Amazing how just a few days ago I was so worried about drought...

I wonder if anything new came up In the Spring Sown box...
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

May 12, 2013
6:20 AM

Post #9517657

I just finished potting up tomatoes------somehow I have 133 of them! LOL
I'll be taking most of them to Community gardens and Plant Shares.
I strip them down too,but never thought to try rooting the stripped part.
Let us know how that turns out?
Caroline

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2013
9:20 AM

Post #9517867

I was surprised last season to be able to root petunia cuttings very easily.

Carolina - golly that's a lot of tomatoes. :D

I'm still a bit behind, but babying the few varieties of seedlings that I HAVE started. We're going to get that cold dip here tomorrow as well, Pam, but looks like we may be turning the corner on this spring thing.

Have a great day!

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 12, 2013
10:30 PM

Post #9518542

Caroline, my daughter have started extra tomato plants from cuttings in water. They root all along the stem. She pots them up and let them grow potted for awhile before they go in the garden.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

May 13, 2013
6:49 AM

Post #9518823

That is great to know!
I did one year break a plant accidently, and stuck it in
a pot of soil where it took root.
But taking cuttings would be excellent where the germination might have been poor.
Or if I only have a few seeds of one kind:---- I could start the seeds earlier and then take cuttings!

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 13, 2013
7:24 AM

Post #9518853

Caroline,
Not only that but cutting will also assure that you get the same type of tomato. Tomatoes are hybrids so don't come true from seed unless purchased from a reliable company.

The cutting should be about 4 or 5" long.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 13, 2013
10:21 AM

Post #9519067

My favorite tomato, although I try others every year, is Sweet Million, and I share my plants with a friend nearby. Last year some meant for another friend stayed in pots too long, and I finally gave them to the first friend as I was full up. Apparently they came in just as the first batch was tapering off, and went like gangbusters til fall. I'm thinking these cuttings, if they root, will be my later batch this year. Definitely worth a try...
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

May 13, 2013
5:21 PM

Post #9519456

Thanks for info on tomato cuttings.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 13, 2013
7:05 PM

Post #9519564

Just waNTED TO STOP IN AND SAY HI. HI!! Oooops, sorry on the caps. Spent the day in my garden and my daughter's. I'm tuckered out..lol. Mine, gosh, only done wih ab out 40% and it been 2 days... Ok, gotta get to a shower... later. Kathy
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 13, 2013
8:34 PM

Post #9519660

Me too... Worked hard today and got a lot done, still soooo much to do. Still pretty cold out there, we're expecting a freeze tonight. Brrrrrrr...

The covered stand is all zipped up and covered with Reemay. All the plants I broughtt out from the city yesterday are in there- snaps, campanulas, dianthus tucked in for the night. Everything that has been outside with no cover still is. No choice, no more room anywhere else. Tomorrow I'll unzip, but leave the Reemay.

So odd how Platycodons grow. Last year I had a bunch of P Hakone Blue from seed. Some went in the ground, some stayed in pots. In the fall I planted a group of them together, expecting to have a nice patch this year. Then over the winter I decided that they are impossible to blend into the color scheme, and planned a blue garden in another area around them. It's said that they are tricky to move, it's best to do it while they are dormant, but I wanted to wait until they were showing. The more mature plants are just coming up, so today was the day. I know there were 7 babies, but digging around gently in the area, I could only find 4. Then I found one in another area that had been overlooked in the fall, making 5.

But here's what's so odd... My 2 original blues came from a friend in mid July, high summer, an artist who just had to get rid of them because she couldn't make them blend into her garden. One wilted, one bloomed its head off, and to my great surprise both came back last year beautifully. In the fall I moved them, because I wanted to put my doubles in that spot. Well, both are up now... But one of them made a baby where I was digging up today. The root is far bigger than the ones from seed, must be a chunk that got left behind last fall. So now I have 4 Hakone doubles and one single in the new 'blue' area.

The other reason for kicking them out of where they were is that I want to put my new P Perlmutters there. They will fit in beautifully with the red roses and soft pinks, lavenders and whites already there. Whew!

Leaving again in the morning, won't be back here until the 24th, but then we're staying for 10 days. Boy, do I need that time in the garden! That's the tail end of the 'early' season for us, planting out date for tender annuals is June 1. Does this happen every spring, first it's too early, too early, too early... Then too late?!

Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 14, 2013
6:55 PM

Post #9520874

Looks god Pam. What the red in pix 3, a Weigela? Sure is pretty and bright, just love it... Everything is looking good!! When will you be at the gardens for the summer, or do you both go back and forth the whole summer? Will try to see about getting your trade out after the 24, please remind me...lol

Blomma, Have you been out working in your garden yet?

CLScott, how about you, what your last frost date also, just curious.

Spent another day in both gardens, and now I am tired!!!! Dug a few things and need to get them potted tomorrw, babied and one plant I don't have in my garden. Fed the gkids and I'm ready for bed...lol... Home in a few hours tho. So what's everyone else up to? My wild Mertensia is in full bloom, should gets a pix. Wished I had the feild mown last fall. One of these years I will remember to do so and then I could see atleast 2 acres of the Bluebells blooming. It's amazing cuz the trees are just starting to leaf out. Things are greening up nicely...

Amanda..is it easy to root the petunias. Gosh never heard of such a thing. Great idea!!! Think I'll try that this week as my babies need clipping and I haven't planted them out yet. Ok I'm off for now, check back tomorrow. Later all, Kathy
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 15, 2013
3:26 AM

Post #9521112

The red is a quince. It's the first plant I bought for the garden, in '07.

My petunia cuttings are doing well, not the tomatoes. I think the pieces were too small. I started them late this year, and had them under very bright lights, 2 4' T-5's, and they didn't stretch. The stems are quite sturdy as well. Usually I'm fighting long gangly things, it's quite a change.

The few zinnias and cosmos are coming along, petunias blooming like mad, basil, parsley, lobelia all fine. Impatiens Balsamina looks good, but no I Balfourii. I took those seeds from a couple of volunteers last fall, didn't have many to start with. Oh well, there's always next year.

Most everything is out at the house, only 2 trays left here, and only 2 weeks to go until planting time. Maybe I'll start a few cukes and some squash...
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

May 15, 2013
7:36 AM

Post #9521333

Our last frost is usually around May 24th ,but our forecast shows a dip to 0ºC on the 28th.
Holding off planting out unless I can cover it with a sheet or something.
I have most of my large containers in the driveway so can throw a tarp over if frost threatens.
I also have one of those plastic tent type "greenhouses" which will hold off a slight frost.
I water well if frost threatens and place pails of water in the tent greenhouse.
I keep cardboard boxes etc. so plants can be covered quickly.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 15, 2013
8:19 AM

Post #9521393

Your tent sound like my covered stand. Mine has not gone under 34 F for weeks, even though we've had drops to 29. I use self-watering trays, which must help stabilize temps. I leave the door zippers undone most of the time and there are many splits in the plastic cover for ventilation. I have the whole thing covered in Reemay to soften direct sun (not all day, mostly filtered by tall trees) and also give frost protection. It's working so far...

Thumbnail by Pfg

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 15, 2013
8:24 PM

Post #9522186

warriorswisdomKathy just sent me a dmail asking me to let people know something's wrong on her computer and she can't get the forums to load. She'll be back once the problem is fixed, but meanwhile she can't post, but she can dmail. I hope it's soon...

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2013
4:00 PM

Post #9523111

Yup, Melanie here at Dave's fixed it... So have busy, still on cleanup and weeding duty..a couple more days and I'll be finished with the main border. then I need to do most of the ground out back...some of the grasses I rototilled last fall are coming up and scads of weed seed (mostly annual tho). Rounup is ready!!!! I figure it will take me up to a week to clean up the mess.

My Zinnias were started inside so I can figure out where I want them planted. I should start some of my vines too, atleast then I know they will germinate... So many times I put seed out and forget about them. Am thinking the only veggies I'll have are the tomatoes this year...just too many other things to keep me busy this year. Ok, you all have a great evening..Later!!!

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2013
4:12 PM

Post #9523122

I feel the same way about starting another bunch of stuff. Tomatoes have already been potted up. I did a few Zinns and Cosmos, and just today I decided to get the cukes going. They should be germinated by next week when we head back to the house. Greens and Squash I'll sow in the garden, thats easy enough. But I'm definitely buying Marigolds and whatever extra annuals and herbs I find I need to fill in. Right now I think I have sooooo much... Then every year it's the same thing: I wish I had less to plant of some things and more of others.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2013
6:16 PM

Post #9523231

Kathy I'm no good with cuttings so I was quite surprised that the petunias cuttings worked in just damp soil watered only once in a while. I kept them over winter and was amazed.

Pam didn't you say you took petunias cuttings in addition to your tomatoes?

I took my seed shelves out to the back porch today. I wasn't getting anything done inside, just waiting for the temps to stabilize. I don't think we'll dip into the 40s again(fingers crossed)!
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2013
8:22 PM

Post #9523379

Yes, the petunias cuttings, really small bits, stayed green after a week so I have hopes. The tomato cuttings don't look so good. They were also very small, and the watering tray they were on went dry. So far there are 2 or 3 left that might make it. I'll try again though with bigger pieces when I put the plants in the ground. I always strip them and plant deep so there will be more to work with.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

May 17, 2013
4:54 AM

Post #9523580

Did I understand that you kept petunia cuttings right through the winter?
That would be excellent for some which seeds are so expensive.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 17, 2013
7:16 PM

Post #9524365

No, these were snipped from seedlings to make them bushier. But it seems reasonable that fall cuttings might work. Maybe someone else knows?

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 17, 2013
7:39 PM

Post #9524394

Pfg,
I have found that cutting don't root as well fall and winter, as they do in the spring and summer. Possible light intensity, etc may have something to do with it. At least this holds true for houseplants. My daughter also found it that way with Russian Olive cuttings.

I walked around and checked my iris seedlings from 2010 today. Lord behold, there is a definite lump inside the fans, which will proves to be a bud. Had some bloom last year from 2010 but I think it all depends on the genetic makeup of the seedling. Anyway, I am tickled pink. Now the waiting game begins.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 17, 2013
7:44 PM

Post #9524397

>> I have found that cutting don't root as well fall and winter, as they do in the spring and summer.

I've read that most cuttings have a better chance if taken while a shoot is young and growing rapidly.

I wouldn't know from my own exoperie4nce. I haven't tried in ages, since anything I tried to root, rotted instead.

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 17, 2013
8:17 PM

Post #9524424

Maybe that's why it's advised for Pelargoniums to bring one inside and take cuttings from new growth in January/ February.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 17, 2013
10:00 PM

Post #9524500

Pfg wrote:Maybe that's why it's advised for Pelargoniums to bring one inside and take cuttings from new growth in January/ February.

I agree. I have rooted many Pelargoniums over the years and always did in early spring of young shoots. I used perlite and peatmoss mixed at 1:1 ratio kept damp to root them in. I also placed the potted cutting in a plastic bag while rooting to prevent drying out and wilting.

Moved all my seedlings of iris and daylilies to my plant stand outside. I am still trying to figure out where to plant this year's batch. Needless to say, I will not be starting any iris or daylily seeds next year until I cull what I have now.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 18, 2013
4:39 AM

Post #9524618

Congratulations on the iris buds!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 18, 2013
7:45 AM

Post #9524793

Oh how exciting, new babies coming into bloom!!! I was thrilled to see my dwarf iris pop open the other day so you must be just sooo excited... lol. We want pix!!!!! Above you had mentioned Russian Olive, do you have any that are rooted I could trade for? I would love to get a few... They are soooo fragrant and no longer on the market for sale... Kathy

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9524813

Just a few of my DWARF IRIS BLOOMS
Forgive the Weeds for Mother Nature has Hehe Just haven't gotten to that Bed yet .
Getting hot out & I have to come in before I Fry :)

Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 18, 2013
12:43 PM

Post #9525027

Beautiful! And you managed to keep the mess out of the pics, so we would never have known if you hadn't told us, lol.

Good tips about rooting. I've done very little, and only the very easiest things. Hmmmm...

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2013
3:15 PM

Post #9526155

Nice photos! Even prettier in person. Things are popping up all over the yard - things that were grown from seed and eaten or knocked down and I didn't think I'd see again -Poof!- There it is. :)

About the petunias - I'm shrugging my shoulders as nothing I do with regard to cuttings has any basis in fact or fiction. I just did it because a white petunia showed up where the year before there had been a purple and white striped petunia. A plant had been frosted over or something and I cut just a few pieces and inserted them in damp soil in pots. Kept them barely watered but in nice south facing window over winter. I was so pleased when they started to bloom over winter. I'm the only person who probably has a hard time rooting Pelargoniums. So anyway. Dumb luck is all, but when those plants are on their way out at the end of the season it can't hurt to try anything.

I will keep trying and getting braver but my success rate is not very high with cuttings. Although I did manage to root a cutting from a tiny rose last summer as well. ;)

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 21, 2013
10:19 AM

Post #9528428

Dwarf Iris are just (so far only 2), beginning here, your's are sooo pretty Susie!!!

Seeded in the Border: (insitu), more to do yet, filling in where there are gaps
Cosmos b. Rubenza
Papaver s. Frilly (a red and white one)
Papaver Red (not sure if peony or somniferums)
Papaver p. Berries and Cream
Papaver s. Purple
Nicotiana s. Heaven Scent Mix
Cleome Rose Queen
Lavatera Loveliness Mixed
Zinnia Green Envy
Centaurea americana
Tithonia Torch
Polygonum orientale Kiss Me Over The Garden Gate, the others I seeded this winter will go out back in the new garden.

Whew, anyone else been seeding annuals? I'm hoping do dig some plants soon (Susie and Pam), got the back yard to work on, hoping to start tomorrow, weeding and then spraying the grasses that are popping up. Then will do some digging while the wild grasses are dying off.

Second morning with the lows in the 30*s yet, so things are still slow here, sometimes is a disadvantage living so high up!!! Trees are just beginning to leaf out here. Ok, got to get the gkids again today so later all, (have some more to do in my daughter's garden this afternoon). Have a wonderful day all!!! Kathy
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 22, 2013
6:53 AM

Post #9529537

Two days to go before getting to the garden... Feels like it's been a month. But then we're there for 10 days straight, I hope to get a lot done.

The NY kitchen garden will be shut down, all plants going to CT. Most of the perennials are there already, only herbs and annuals left. Basil, Parsley, Cukes Little Fingers and Bush Pickle, Petunias Storm & Easy Wave, Cosmos Versailles Blush & Klondike, Zinnias Envy & Oklahoma White, Impatiens Balsamina, annual Lobelia, Sweet Alyssum. Also 4 Clematis from a co-op, Lavandula Phenomenal, and Alocasia Mojito. The last 2 are from a nursery on LI. I used to live there, and just love this place, Lynch's in Southampton. The lavender is supposed to be huge and extra cold-hardy, no winter die-back. My Munsted looked kind of ragged last time I saw it two weeks ago. I hope it's filled in by now. I just had to try this new one- well, 3 actually. I'll put 1 where I want it, 1 where it might like it, and 1 where I'm sure it will be happy, then see what happens. Wasn't it Jekyll who said that? Or maybe Margery Fish?

And the Alocasia is just fab, had to have it!

Soooo... I have lots and lots of seeds to direct sow, as well, but none of the areas been ready yet... Grrrrr...
No point in seeding when I still have to move plants, around, right?! I did stick a few things in 4" pots in the Spring Sown boxes, but when we left I had to put them all in the covered stand on watering trays so they wouldn't dry out in case it didn't rain enough. WWK's Ammi majus Rubra already germinated- thanks, Kathy! Also Verbena Bonariensis, even though it comes upon its own I always seed more for a head start. I forget what else had come up, but there was still no sign of Larkspur, I remember that. So far I have not been successful with that, usually because I can't sow it at the right time in the right place. I think I was too late again this year, its spot wasn't ready when we first got up there this spring.

But I have lots of annual poppies, nigella, Nasturtiums...

Sunflowers and more C Klondike in the new area by the tall grasses (lower lawn, to the right of the big Rhodie), Tromboncino Squash as groundcover while I wait for perennials to fill in...

Can't wait!

Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg      

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 22, 2013
5:56 PM

Post #9530400

Can seed in the larkspur when you get home, mine are just now sprouting. Gosh have to remember the verbena, got find my pack..lol. More seeding today:

Zinnias, Oklahoma mix
Nictiana again (other side of the border)
Alyssum in both white and purple

Headed back out now to see what more I can get in this evening. Also Pam, do you give your Lavender a haircut in the spring, it helps to take off the ragged edges and also makes the plants bushier.. Ok enough gotta get back outside...Later all. Kathy
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 22, 2013
10:15 PM

Post #9530661

I usually wait until I see growth on Lavender, then skim off the dead ends. If they get cut too far back too early, they might not make it.

When did you seed your larkspur? Was it still chilly? I've been reading the earlier the better...

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2013
9:05 AM

Post #9531089

First year I seeded them in was about now (May), now they come up in various places.

I've also had Lavender reseed in the garden, just a few so far..

More seed in:
Poppy "Fruit Punch"
Cosmos b. "Double Click Cranberries"
Scabiosa "Beaujolais Bonnets", anyone grown these, packet says they are hardy Z7-9, will they bloom first year and reseed or come back in my Z5 or 6...

Still burry here, this morning only 39* at 10am. Where's my Hot Chocholate? LOL. Kathy

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2013
1:05 PM

Post #9531384

It's pouring here in the city. There was just a huge burst of rolling thunder that would wake the dead...

One more day... I've been dismantling the kitchen garden set-up, washing stuff and getting it ready to put away. Only 2 flats left to go...
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 26, 2013
10:14 AM

Post #9534575

We got here Friday, and it rained almost continuously until last night. Temps were in the 40's during the day and mid 30's at night, so no hardening off until today. It just got to 55, the tomatoes are out, Platys and salvias next, in dappled sun. Basil, cukes and petunias staying in for one more cold night, then temps should go way up.

Everything that was outside during the deluge is fine- Campanula White Clips, Alchemilla, all the Dianthus, Aquilegia, Digitalis and a few other odds and ends. The snaps in the miniGH are also fine. Peas, beets, lettuce doing well in one veggie bed covered with frost blanket. So are the weeds, lol

All the Platycodons that have been blooming the last couple of months have stopped now. I'm hoping they get going again once they get planted with lots of good stuff. I will try clipping a few long stems to see if they will root. Any advice?

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 26, 2013
10:36 PM

Post #9535315

I now have 3 babies that are rooting from cuttings on the Platys. I just made sure there was atleast one node in the soil and atleast one pair of leaves above...keep 'em damp. ( Only one keeled over and didn't make it so far, but it's been several weeks so I'm guessing the other 3 are rooting).
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2013
2:56 AM

Post #9535374

Great! My P Perlmutter double has 3 good stems, stopped blooming 2 weeks ago. The tallest stem is just beginning to bud out, so I left it and cut the other two back, hoping for a bushier plant. The two cuttings are about 4" long. I stripped the leaves of 3 or 4 nodes, dipped in rooting powder--very old packet, never opened, better than nothing. The remaining leaves (3) I cut in half. Watered in well with the usual SuperThrive/ peroxide mix, then set the pot on a self watering tray.

Many sites say to cover with plastic, but I'm thinking it will stay wet enough on the tray. I lost geraniums cuttings by covering them, they rotted, so I'm afraid to do it now. I really hope this works, it's very scary to have the one and only plant, especially since it stopped blooming. My double white (which I think must be one of its parents because of the similar growth habit) only bloomed once the year I got it. The next year it went all summer. I hate to wait two years before I can get seed from this one!

I transplanted the plant into a self-watering 9" pot with a good potting mix and compost. The root system had just shown through the bottom of the 5" pot it was in, so it was good timing. Now it's just wait and see if the cuttings take, if the plant blooms again. Fingers crossed...

The rooted petunia cuttings from a few weeks ago are growing. The tomato cuttings aren't dead, but so far nothing's happening with them. So I have hope!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2013
12:42 PM

Post #9535868

Lol...I hate to say it but I only clipped them and stuck them in soil...funny, hope thy root for you..they should with as much care as you gave them.. Mine are sitting on the porch now, moved out of the house a few weeks ago, but in constant shadeand stilll hanging in there... Ok, back outside, got digging to do for a box going out this week!!!!! lol, suprises, ok , I'll see if I can find one, I bought it special!!!!!! Later, Kathy (PS, I just have to remember to get it into the box!!!!!)
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2013
9:25 PM

Post #9536422

I took all that care because it's the only plant like it, feels like a huuuuge responsibility! How long before yours looked like they were rooting? Or I should say, how long since you clipped them and they haven't croaked?

Gorgeous day here finally. All my babies want to get in the ground!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2013
10:43 PM

Post #9536445

Am thinking the first one is about 3 weeks or more old and other two were done a week later...still looking good and no wilting at all.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2013
8:38 PM

Post #9546765

Although I didn't read all the many previous posts, and this might be someone else's method, here is how I start most of my hard shelled seeds. I nick them & soak them in warm water overnight, but here is where I do my own thing & put the seeds, after they have swollen, into a moist napkin or paper towel & inside a plastic ziplock bag until they have formed roots and then plant them. They do not rot or mildew because they are in a more or less clean environment. Enclosed is a picture of Maribel Haricot vert French beans which will be planted in the veggie garden within the next couple days.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2013 11:40 PM

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2013
9:45 PM

Post #9546806

I'm curious...how do you nick them without cutting yourself...I gave up trying for fear of cutting myself..lol. Great idea...I should try it as I've not started my veggies yet...I know I'm late,,,but spring has just arrived here. Last week we had temps in the low 30*s but just barely above freezing...

Hey Pam, don't know what happened but one of my cutting just disappeared, poof, gone. Critter on the porch...lol. Not sure, but did take more cuttings of some of the other plants that I was potting on the other day.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2013
9:51 PM

Post #9546812

I use a very fine fingernal clipper or an emery board. On very large thick coated, I have had to use a dremel or grinder.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2013
10:11 PM

Post #9546821

I can't remember for what seed I'd read with a particularly tough seedcoat to pour boiling water over them and let them sit overnight.

I did this with the impossible to germinate corkscrew vine, V. caracalla and had 100% germination for twelve seeds. The whole "nicking" the seedcoat is so unscientific as to be a dangerous proposition for both me and the success of the seed. I was very happy with this method and will use it in the future for any other hard coated seed.

Buttonneer- I think it's a good method if it works for you. I had some haricort verts I started last week simply by putting them in the ground. Of course, our soil may be a bit warmer, but I wasn't aware they were supposed to need scarfication.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2013
10:11 PM

Post #9546822

lol, thanks! Was wondering...
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2013
10:25 PM

Post #9546827

The last time I nicked seeds they completely fell apart... Oops! I've read you can rub them on sandpaper to thin down the seed coat, haven't tried it yet. Boiling water sounds interesting...

As of Sunday when we left, my petunia cuttings were growing new leaves, the little tomato trimmings hadn't decided whether to live or die, and the 2 Platy cuttings looked great. They're all inside on self-watering trays under lights. I'll see them again Friday.

Is it too late to broadcast Larkspur seeds? They didn't come up in my spring-sown box, and the garden wasn't ready for direct sowing. Neither was the gardener, lol.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 5, 2013
3:57 PM

Post #9547685

Try them Pam, i they don't make it let me know I have a ton of mix seed I could share...(white, pink and blue).

Wanted to tell you of my three cuttings that are rooting, one totally disappeared... I figured it out today, neighbors cat was on the porch so I'm guessing it got pawed at or something similar...thought I saw footprints on a few things...
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 5, 2013
4:33 PM

Post #9547717

That seems so unfair, when you think of all the other things that could go wrong!
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2013
7:29 PM

Post #9547936

The scarification on the Haricot verts was to see how much I could speed up the germination.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 5, 2013
8:04 PM

Post #9547973

Interesting... How much do you think it does speed it up? Your paper towel/baggie method sounds like what I do, the Deno method. Another nice thing about that is you only plant growing seeds, so there's no wasted effort on seeds that don't germinate.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2013
1:22 PM

Post #9548752

Thanks, Pfg. I had to plant the bout 2 days before my 6/4 post Ok the Haricot vert beans were nicked & soaked on 6/1. I put them in moist paper towels 6/2 & the picture above was taken 6/4.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2013
6:10 PM

Post #9549138

I think I'll try it this weekend on my beans. As I remember, last year I didn't get such great germination direct sowing mine, had lots of empty spaces in the garden. Also, I just discovered that this winter I gave away most of my Tromboncino squash seeds, thinking I only anted 1 or 2 plants. But now I want more, so every seed counts. I won't scarify, but I will use the baggy method to have mo control over what happens.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 7, 2013
5:02 AM

Post #9549606

hey girls what is a good feed for your plants that don't cost arm & Leg HOME MADE PLEASE That I Can use more often .
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2013
7:05 AM

Post #9549753

Pfg, lmk how that works out.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2013
2:01 PM

Post #9550152

Susie, the only home made fertilizer I know is compost from kitchen and garden scraps. It doesn't have to be "finished" compost if you're willing to bury it between rows. You can spot-compost in fairly shallow holes as long as you don't have dogs digging it up.

Or bring bags of coffee grounds home and either scratch it in, or just add thin layers on top every few weeks.

There's a fruit stand nearby that sometimes lets me scrounge a bag of scraps out of their dumpster, for my compost heap.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 7, 2013
4:13 PM

Post #9550318

Guess I will have to start drinking PERKED Coffee again :) Tonigh I cleaned out my horse trough & going to put a Bag of manure in it then add water & Cover it for a week or two & Use that for my feed going to try it anyway .

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

June 7, 2013
9:36 PM

Post #9550609

I used to make manure tea, as it was called when it was popular years ago.

Place manure (any kind) in a mesh bag (or old nylon hose) and steep it in a bucket of water for a few days. The resulting water/tea is great for feeding all kinds of plants for a quick result. Use the leftover manure to improve the soil.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 11, 2013
12:33 PM

Post #9555154

I have a bunch of seeds talking to me... Some are from this winter, some from Deejay's 2nd time around robin. I'd like to try starting some of them this summer, hopefully getting big enough seedlings to plant out before winter. Who has done this before? blomma, I know you have... When is the best time to start?

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

June 11, 2013
2:57 PM

Post #9555291

Pfg,
Yep, I have. The best time to start is in In late July, or in August to give the seedlings time to get settled before winter. If it takes long for them to germinate, start in July.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 11, 2013
3:01 PM

Post #9555296

OK, thanks!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2013
3:35 PM

Post #9555325

Manure tea: one of the ingredients is AIR. If the bucket is too deep or the cover too tight, it COULD get anearobic and that' defeats the purpose of creating beneficial micro-organisms.

If you just what nutrients (NPK and carbon or organic matter) from manure, put the whole manure, or somewhat composted manure, right into the soil or onto the soil.

A top-dressing of manure, slightly scratched in so it stays moist, when watered, leaches out aerobic "instant tea" each time you water it.

scbuttercup
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2013
8:43 AM

Post #9568534

Well here's where all the seed-starters are, can't believe I took so long to find this forum. I'm going to try something new: germinating seeds for mid-summer or fall planting. First have tomatoes started, sometimes my sprint planted tomatoes peter out by August and I've heard of folks replanting new seedlings (plus I have a new variety that I mail ordered and didn't receive until last week.) Also I'm going to try germinating some seeds in late summer to plant in fall, things like sweet pea, rudbeckia and coneflower. In zone 8 I think this should work. Any pointers?
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2013
12:41 PM

Post #9568749

I suppose it depends on where you are starting your seeds. Will they be outside or in the house? Just make sure they do not bake or dry out. Let us know how you do. Maybe you will be giving us pointers.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2013
3:11 PM

Post #9568908

Forgot to post results on the beans... They were only soaked for about 3 hours, starting with Hand Hot water, then Deno method. They sprouted in just a couple of days, but I couldn't plant for nearly a week, last Saturday. By that time I had 85-90% germination.

The Tromboncino and Ciuzzi Squashes did nothing, but the Ronde de Nice had about 50% germination at planting time. I put the rest in the ground too just in case. I won't t back there until next Friday to see what happened.

I want to start a new lupine area, and was lucky enough to find 3 Russell strain plants about to bloom for only 5.25 each. So I spread them out in the bed with a few biennials, and thought I'd take seeds from my favorites scattered around in other beds and see if I can get a real group going. Is it best to just drop the seeds, the way it happens in nature, or to cover them? And I guess I should do it as soon as they're ripe?
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2013
7:13 AM

Post #9570988

Just wanted to let you know that because I started the Trombocinos mid april in the greenhouse and planted them out in the garden, all of them are vining & have fruit in JUNE! Yea! Also, I soaked (but not nicked 5 cotton seeds, then put them in a damp paper towel in a zipper bag & 3 have rooted, so I planted them in pot in the window of the greenhouse.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2013
7:36 AM

Post #9571020

Wow! That's early! I'm late on most all the veggies, herbs and annuals this year because I was so focused on the perennials. But there's always next year- that's the great thing about gardening, you always get another chance...

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2013
11:07 AM

Post #9571292

An out-of-print germination guide from Thompson & Morgan lists Lupinus as - 1/8" deep, soak or chip the seeds.

Tom Clothier says "nick AND soak, sow @ ..." and then gives optimum temperatures for different Lupinus species.
http://tomclothier.hort.net/page06.html#M

So my guess is that soaking and nicking helps most. Perhaps raking before sowing, and scattering a litle soil after sowing, might also help.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2013
5:26 PM

Post #9573191

I did not nick any of the lupine seeds and if I remember correctly, they all germinated. Inadvertantly, I did soak them however, as I used peat pots and they were way, too wet. I took them out (carefully) and put them into cell packs. That was a challenging time for me as then I knocked them all off the bannister and retrieved most of them, and they still did well. If you are more coordinated than I am, you should have great success! LOL!! :-)

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2013
5:34 PM

Post #9573212

Maybe they thirve on abuse!

Someone couldn't get her tomatoes to furit until someone suggested "beating them up with a dish towel". The vibrations caused each flower to pollinate itself.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2013
6:31 PM

Post #9573279

Her is one of my Lupines I planted from seed in late april I Did soak & Nick the seed this was the only one i put out in a flowerbed & It is in Bloom the others are in the potting shed & Have no Blooms so tomorrow I Will take them out & Plant them in the gardens . I also Planted seeds that I Had not soaked or nicked will let you know if any come up they are around in all my gardens .

Thumbnail by deejay9

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2013
6:36 PM

Post #9573283

How cute! Mine have never bloomed the first year from seed sown indoors.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2013
7:28 PM

Post #9573363

Mine did not bloom the first year from seed either. Are they annual lupines? Those must...

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2013
10:18 AM

Post #9574049

Yup, it's the annual form, might it be: L. cruiswickii (think thats not the correct spelling tho, lol)...

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2013
5:44 AM

Post #9576667

Found packet...look up this susie:Lupine Hartweggii Cruickshankii "Sunrise", see if that's what it might be...

Pix: pods developing on my Dictamnous purpureas (Gas Plant), have to put a piece of nylons over the pods as they shoot their seeds when mature...

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2013
7:12 AM

Post #9576760

I just loooove that gas plant! The flowers look so delicate and pretty! Have you tried them from seed? You gave me white- did you keep one for yourself too? I can't wait to see mine grow and mature. I know they are slow to get there...

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9577092

I'm Not sure who sent these for i had many pks from different ones from the robin & I planted them all but the ones in Bloom I Soaked & Nicked planted one here by the house another down at end of driveway & That is Blooming also but the ones in pots still in the potting shed have not bloomed so will get them out in the ground yet.

it could be the same mine is more of a purple . but sure looks sorta like it.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2013
2:59 PM

Post #9577488

yup I sure did save some for me!!!! My white should bloom next season... I try to buy a few every year, attempting to make a patch...or maybe several...

If it bloomed first year from seed is an annual type...most of the perenns need a winter of cold to bloom.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2013
3:16 PM

Post #9577516

My little ones have grown a couple of new leaves, indoors under lights. We weren't her st the house for 10 days, I didn't want to put them out. Also indoors, the cuttings I took from the new double Platy are hanging in. No sign of progress yet, but still green. Now we're here until after the holiday weekend so I can watch what's going on and maybe tweak.

But yikes!!! The weeds!!! Lots of newspaper and mulch in my immediate future!!!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2013
6:42 PM

Post #9577855

I was like, "what holiday weekend?!" H ah aha a.

Glad you're back.

xox
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 30, 2013
1:34 PM

Post #9580410

I would love to have some fresh seeds of the gas plant...does anyone have any to spare? White and/or pink...
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

June 30, 2013
2:34 PM

Post #9580479

Seeds are a couple of years away for me...

I can't believe how late everything is this year! I was blaming myself for being so caught up with perennials this winter that I didn't get my usual early start on the rest, but today I looked at some pics from last year, and our earliest daylily was blooming on June 17. This year they just opened within the last few days.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2013
10:37 AM

Post #9581827

evelyn...if I remember to get panty house on my girl I might get some seed...the pink one. Guess I need to find some, just been soooo busy, weeds and digging and replanting Iris...
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2013
1:29 PM

Post #9582133

Soooo... I just learned on the plant ID forum that what I had been nurturing as Bog Sage, Salvia Uliginosa, turns out to be Motherwort, Leonurus cardiaca. Thanks to altagardener...

I got the seeds in the robin last year, this is the first bloom. Apparently AmandaEsq got them too. Very disappointing, as the plants are in my new blue garden.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2013
1:32 PM

Post #9582136

Forgot pic... As you can see, not blue :-(

Thumbnail by Pfg

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2013
2:36 PM

Post #9582231

Pam...did I not get you the Salvia (?) Nekan, sorry can't remember the rest of the name, remind me when I get ready to mail you some Iris...
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2013
6:45 PM

Post #9582600

Yes, you did, S Azurea Nekon, and it germinated, I ended up with 1 good plant. It's in the ground doing OK but not more than that. The one Penstemon palmerii is also OK but not progressing. It's been so wet here lately, everything seems stalled, even the Platys, but it's supposed to dry up and warm up later this week. I hope so...

I'm saving some Matronis Hesperis plants until the seeds ripen for you. I have a good clump of a really pale pink, and a large area of mixed colors. I'm trying not to get much of the darkest color, since that's what you have already.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2013
10:57 PM

Post #9582840

Also from last year's robin. This scabiosa has got to be the prettiest flower ever.

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq   Thumbnail by AmandaEsq         

Txtea
Fabens, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2013
10:40 AM

Post #9583431

Amanda, I must agree with you it is just beautiful.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2013
6:13 AM

Post #9631260

Phew! Took me a while to find this thread again.

I just wanted to tell you that I think that the Ironweed is another plant that will spread like crazy if you move it from a location. I mentioned this of the chocolate eupatorium.

I had four ironweed started from seed and plants in "the back 40" since our first season here in 2009. The plants did not spread, it was always predictable as to where they would appear. Last year I moved one plant which seemed to be languishing.

This spring a patch of ironweed came up in an area where it had not been planted. In fact the size and strength of this new growth was such that I didn't recognize it. It looked nothing like the mild mannered sprouts that herald the return of my original four plants.

Now they are springing up throughout the bed wherever! Of course I love it, but the plants in this bed are not all 6' tall and will find it hard to complete. It's already eaten a blueberry bush I put in two years ago. I have to go in and dig it out.

Help!!!
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

August 15, 2013
2:21 PM

Post #9631708

Yikes! I love some reseeding, but I have enough other plants that choke everything within reach... Pretty as it is, I think I'll give this one a pass.

That Scabiosa is lovely. I've never seen one that color, only blue, pink and white. Reminds me of Knautia...

And another yikes! Only 2 weeks to Labor Day! No way I could get to even thinking about starting perennials from seed this summer. For me, I guess it's best done when the garden is completely out of reach, in the summer there are so many other things to do...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America