Memphis, TN

Doesn't look like the leaf of any Chrysanthemum I've ever seen. What is it?

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Oradea, Romania

Some Ruellia?

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

Or maybe a Phlox?

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

It looks like my tropical milkweed plants.

Opp, AL(Zone 8b)

Is there white sap if you tear a leaf?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Looks like Milkweed to me

Memphis, TN

Does Milkweed have a deep red stem?

The only thing that makes me wonder if it is milkweed is that the leaves appear to be slightly dentate, or notched. Is that just my eyes? Otherwise I would agree.
This is Asclepias curassavica (Tropical Milkweed) foliage that I have. Younger yes, but nary a notch.

Thumbnail by poisondartfrog
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

some do, yes

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/289151/

Lol, I can't see any teeth there, just hairs. It must be my eyes. Getting old sucks, but it could be worse....

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

oh sorry we cross posted, I was responding to Mary about the red stems

Asclepias incarnata has red stems.

Memphis, TN

The leaves are slightly notched. They are rough but not hairy. Stem is smooth. I broke off a leaf at the stem and then tore the leaf into -- no sap in either place and no smell.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Ruellia and Milkweeds both have opposite leaves; the ID plant does not.
Does not look like a CHrysanthemum to me either. I'm thinking the original plant died and the pot was invaded.

Memphis, TN

Well, here's the update, for all of you who help me with this back in the Spring. It's finally started to bud.

Goldenrod, right?

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Yes.

Memphis, TN

Ah, thank you!

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

Goledenrod is pretty. I have seen pots with just weeds in them at nursuries. Someone should have recognized it was not what the tag said and not charged you for it. Hope you didn't pay much for it.

Memphis, TN

No, not much....but I really didn't want Goldenrod. Guess I'll enjoy it for a little while.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Butterflies love goldenrod - I'd keep it in an out-of-the-way space and enjoy the butterflies. I grow a little patch just for them.

great for bees and wasps of all kinds too. Mine is in full bloom now

Memphis, TN

I thought Goldenrod was a prolific self-seeder. I really don't want this stuff popping up everywhere. Any suggestions (other than pull it out)?

Vernonburg, GA

Goldenrod leaves can be dried to make tea.
Also, dogs love to eat the leaves straight off the plant.
If you don't want it to re-seed, just dead-head it.
If you really don't want it - I can give you my address!

For me it does not self seed (although it must have when I first got it) but it DOES have rhizomes that spread.

Cohoes, NY

This plant is on every street here in upstate ny. Right now you can not drive down any road near my house and not see it. It is very pretty, but it must spread like wildfire because it is literally everywhere.

Memphis, TN

Yeah, I'm thinking this one's going to get enjoyed through its first bloom season and then it's over.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.