Ponds 2013 II

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Thought I would set up a new thread as old one is getting long.

We came from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1293718/

This message was edited Apr 25, 2013 10:56 AM

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

And a new pond season begins! :)

Yup. The pond is pretty ugly with that brown stuff in it. the pumps aren't running, so I guess I need to vacuum, scrub and pump out most of the water then refill. I will retreat with the pp after the pumps are running to be sure it hits all the lines and filters. If I have to pump it out again I will.

Athens, PA

I'am here!

PP will kill it all.....let it do it's magic, and then just filter it out, cleaning the filters often (several times ) and then restarting your whole pond by adding good kick start bacteria....then later turning the UV on....then finally adding fish again. Things will be crystal clear, and you won't have to worry about diseases left behind from last year.... :)

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I am here. Sharon from Las Vegas. I usually lurk but have been learning a lot.

We are in the high 80s and next week will the high 90s and then move to the cooler mid 80s. My KOI/Goldfish pond has a great waterfall, which keeps it cooler in the summer, and is also shaded by trees. The trees also hide the pond from the prey birds. We actually have two pelicans that live on a golf course near by and there are herons that fly overhead. The herons are usually across on the other side of the valley. So far, they have not found my pond. A few miles away two years ago they wiped out every pond in the area.

I have a sand filter on my pond but no UV. I ill try to find a photo.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Photo #1 is close up of waterfall rocks.
Photo #2 is photo of pond area during snow storm winter 2011.
Photo #3 is photo of Pond summer of 2012.

This message was edited Apr 25, 2013 7:58 PM

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

BTW, snow in Las Vegas is very unusual.

Sharon, I was quite shocked to see the snow. I can't even imagine snow in LV. Your pond is lovely. And the greenery around it really compliments it well. Is that an azalea to the right of the pond?

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

No, azaleas do not grow her. To high ph in the soil and two hot. Probably germanium.

Athens, PA

Sharon

I am so glad you are posting instead of just lurking - I love your photos - so beautiful. I cannot imagine snow in LV. Truthfully I try not to imagine it here either. Oberon is the true snowbunny among us!

What is this thing called snow? ;)

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Not something we want Merry Mary!!!

I lived with it all growing up but can do without it now. Pretty coming down but thats all I can say for it. Some areas it does provide water. When I was in Colorado I saw many water reservoirs and they were waiting for snow to melt and fill them.

I'm waiting for more rain.

Bonnie

I couldn't live where there was no snow. I love four seasons, although to be truthful, our spring and fall don't compare to the north east for beauty. We take what we can get; pussy willows opening. tulips and such coming up out of the icy mud, peony pips too. Just stuff that looks dead turning green each spring. You don't believe it could be alive even though you see it green up and become flowers year after year. Well, most everything. There are always a few that don't make it. Quite often things that I am just trying or that I moved at a bad time or to a bad place. My lilies and peonies never disappoint me though, along with phlox (paniculata and sublata), delphiniums, ligularia, monarda, troillius to name a few.

Athens, PA

How do Lilacs do there, Mary? I think of them as tough but I am sure they have their limits.

I actually was raised in the snow belt of Ohio....I've seen plenty of snow in my day! Florida was quite a change for me, especially out in the yard! :)

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Lilacs do not grow here. Does not get cold enough.

Oberon, I get cold if it gets below 80. And we have no humidity. We are headed into the high 90s and then will settle down into the mid 80s for the month of May. August gets pretty hot but as they say, it's a dry heat.

I got a delivery of Micoblift PL today. My pond is 2221 gallons if I did the calculations correct. I did Algebra & in highschool. I graduated in 1960. I did algebra in my job every day but I never had to determine volume before.

I will take a before and after photo of the water and fish. You will all laugh at this one. I have had this pond for 12 years. Because of the trees around the pond, some times of the year there is leaf drop. I have always been diligent to get the leaves out The pine trees dropped a lot of their pollen seeds and old needles because of high winds and I could not get it out the pool pump lines cover areas. There are two covers. After struggling for over a half hour, the light finally went on. I turned off the pump and viola. The trees are my neighbors and are really messy but give us such great shade, I just smile and clean it up.

Have a great day and I will return later. Thanks for the invite.

Yes, we have lilacs, even in Fairbanks (-40 to -60). I have three Miss Kim bushes and one plain old lilac bush/tree. Was here when I moved in so don't know it's name. The Miss Kim's smell just luscious. So did my yellow azalea until I moved it. After three years, last summer I moved it back to the original spot. Hope it does well again.
The more the merrier Sharon. I love hearing from warmer climes. D now says we may move to Washington State. I never know what he will come up with next. Just go with the flow.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

When I lived on Bittersweet Farm in RI just 8 miles from the house I was born in in Conn. we had lilacs all over the place and the smell was heavenly. Also, of course the place was loaded with bittersweet which I also liked.
Whoever owned the place before us did some serious landscaping. We had college classes come to see our Americus Ufanius shrub. Don't ask me why. It was quite unusual I'll say that.
The lilacs lined the long driveway for the most part. There was a huge rock right near back door and it had poppies, peonies, flowering almond, and a bunch of other stuff planted all aroundi t. It was the size of a car. We were about a mile from a granit quarry that had the most beautiful stone I have ever seen. We had to put a new well down thru all that rock and it took over a week to get thru but then we had the purest water I had ever tasted. Florida water can't compare with it.
OK enough looking back.
Wherever we are planted we should grow!!! Enjoy all your flowers ladies and gents.
Bonnie

D sacrificed a workout night and we set up the pump to the falls and biowell. Tried to pump out the pond so I could scrub and vacuum but our usual outlet was ice damed so couldn't do it. But we vacuumed a little and fired up the pumps. So happy. Even looking pretty grim with the brown PP left, the pond looks alive with the water running down the little falls. Things are melting fast so I should be able to do the pond right. Ordered more PL and will probably do one more PP before reviving the pond with bacteria and PL

Mary...Sounds like you're well on your way to a happy pond this year!
Bonnie....when I first moved to Florida many many many years ago, I was so used to growing everything Ohio let me grow (and having plenty of free horse fertilizer) I was so depressed not being able to grow anything in hot sand....so I knew I have to actually to pull up the bootstraps and get a positive mental perspective... I decided to grow everything they CAN'T grow up north...bananas, tropical gingers, palm trees, etc. Now when the relatives come for a visit, they love everything that's different than what they normally see in their gardens. You're right, wherever we're planted, we should grow... :) (plants AND personally!)

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Oberon, you will have a great pond this year. I'm hoping for much better for you and some fish.

Merry Mary, -Never wanted to move to Fl. but I was outnumbered. Kids and father loved it here so here we are. I finally have learned what you can and can't grow here mostly. Still experimenting.

Out of 4 eatern bluebird nesting homes Charlie built 3 are occupied. They are beautiful. I noticed this morning a great American fly catcher is out front looking at one of my bird houses they nested in a few years ago. Their WEEP call is very distinct.

Got to get ready for church. More later.

Bonnie

Stirling, NJ(Zone 6a)

trying to get the pond back in shape after "SANDY" She knocked down the neighbs 80 foot spruce.....which fell right cross the pond and put several holes in the liner....fish surrived so we move on. first pic is now and second one is then, guess that is pretty obvious......

Thumbnail by quaqbe Thumbnail by quaqbe
Athens, PA

Wow! Glad you are all ok - Was your house alright too?

We have had floods and an occasion tornado very rarely do we get much more than a lot of rain when the hurricanes come up the coast.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

quaqbe

Don't give up. Build back and go on. Glad you are OK. Thats what counts. We lost our pool cage twice to storms but we had it built back and if it goes again we'll do the same. Thats one thing here we can't fix ourselves except lower 8 ft. sections. But thats ok, thats why we carry homeowners insurance with an addendum for all the screen.

As Carolyn said hope your house was ok.

Bonnie

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

The photo attached is a photo of my pond looking down from the edge. This is the before photo before I add the Micoblift PL. All the math geniuses in the family are having a debate how many gallons it holds. I did not even think about the boulders in the water. One of the grandchildren thought about that. So I am going to cut the 2400 in half and go from there.

I read above you are going to add some bacteria. Would one of you please explain what that is and what it does? I have had this pond for 12 years, and never did anything but clean it. I started losing some fish this last winter and started reading about ponds. I guess I was just lucky. Late last summer I found a dead ferret in the bottom of the pond. Now I suspect it probably died because of rat poisoning because some of our neighbors use it. After that was when the fish started dying. One weekend 6 Koi died. Maybe too many Koi on such a small pond.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon

How pretty your pond is and your koi are beautiful. So peaceful. I wonder if the dead ferret left some sort of toxic stuff in your pond. Especially if he succumbed to rate poison. Bad news. I will defer to those who are more knowledgeable about such things to suggest possible solutions.

Athens, PA

Sharon

A dead animal will foul your waters - I don't know if the animal dying from rat poison is enough poison to hurt the fish or not. Have you tested your water parameters with any of the testing kits?

Adding beneficial bacteria and enzymes will get your ponds balance going in the right direction. Benefical bacteria starts to colonize at about 55 degrees and takes several months to fully colonize. We figure our pond has fully colonized around July or so - but your water temps are probably far warmer than mine on a routine basis.

The boulders in your pond will displace some of the water, altering the amount of gallons in the pond. At this point, I think it you are into guesstimates regarding how many gallons are in your pond. If you have to refill your pond for some reason (not that I recommend that), then that would be the pont to check to see exactly how many gallons your pond holds - does your water line in your cellar have a meter on it? If not, there are other ways to measure how many gallons go into the pond when it is filling.

Questions for you - does your pond have rock in the whole bottom of the pond? Also, how do your fish look when you remove the dead fish from the water? Do they have any ulcerations or any other unusual markings?

Pretty pond - how long have you had your pond?

I use KoiZyme, a healthy bacteria/enzyme combo. It's pricey, as is most healthy bacterias, but one you get healthy water, you just give it a shot now and then, like a booster shot. The healthy bacteria out-eat the nasty ones, basically starving them to death. The nasty ones are the ones that cause koi death, body ulcers, fin/mouth rot/ etc. Your filters run more efficiently. If I clean my filters or do a partial water change, I add extra, just to make sure the water quality doesn't go downhill.

..dead ferret....ewww..... lol Rotting meat in any pond can cause a toxic water situation.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Worms,
Just started typing you formula for figuring gallonage and forgot last no. If you google how to figure gallons in a pond you will find many equations. I know it was lengthXwidthXdepth X something. Can anyone remember what the last figure was?
The equations vary accordng to the shape of the pond.

If I had an animal die in my ponds I'd pump them out pressure wash them out with bleach and rinse a few times and put new water and bacteria in. Thats understandable that you lost fish. Sorry about that. I pressure washed my old pond out and poured bleach all in it and then pressure washed it again and again until I was sure all the bleach was gone. Pumping it out all the while I washed. Put new bacteria KoiZyme in and let it circulate for a week and then put fish back. I put a few fish in that I didn't care too much about loosing but they lived fine and are still going 2 years later.

Merry Mary the great American flycatcher is back and looks like is making a nest out front in old green birdhouse. 3 of the holes got eaten too large but they are choosing the only that that didn't get eaten larger. I think a squirrel or woodpecker ate those holes larger.

Happy Gardening and ponding all.

Bonnie

So what is the comparison on Koizyme and Microblift PL? I need to get cold weather bacteria to jump start the pond earlier. I believe the spring startup from Microblift has bacteria that start working at 40F. At least I hope so.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I followed the formula on Google and got the volume and then the boulders came into play. This pond was built the same time the swimming pool was built about 12 years and built by the same contractor. Therefore, it is built like a spa. It has two return lines on the bottom and is filtered by a sand filter. It also has an automatic refill line because of evaporation from the waterfall and the heat.. It has a pebble teck finish. I have no place to put the fish if I drain the pond.

I have reduced the water by a large amount three different times. So far no harm to the fish and the last time was about 4 weeks ago. The last time I cleaned it I flushed all the debris that had made it's way behind and beneath the boulders. I hooked up a high spray nozzle and guided it under all the boulders and then hand skimmed the debris that rose. The boulders do not cover the total bottom but they are located in three different areas.

So I will order some Koizyme. If a fish shows up with an eye ulcer or skin ulcer, should I take it out of the pond immediately. I will Google that question.

Thanks so much for your help. Sharon

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sharon,
When I have a sick fish I remove them from the pond immediately to a 40 gal. tub I have and treat them with Melafix or Pimafix plus a little salt. I do keep salt in my ponds all year.

Here is something I printed out a while ago. Don't remember how I came upon it but very hand to keep on hand.

How to Prevent Spring Disease outbreaks in Koi and goldfish. By Cecil Ferguson "The Pond Doc"

http://www.ponddoc.com/ WhatsUpDoc/FishHealth/SpringOutbreak.htm.

Hope link works for you. Very helpful.
Bonnie

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

BTW I have 3 or 4 tubs I keep on hand cause one time I had many sick fish and had to treat them all at the same time. Now that was a job. It was caused by my being stupid enough to bring a new fish home and put it right into pond instead of quaranteening it for a few weeks to make sure it was healthy. Lesson learned. That was the year we took fish to koi show in Orlando. Doubt I'll ever do that again either. I'll just go and enjoy looking.

I received lots of help during that time from this forum. I've come to the conclusion it takes a while to learn what is best for keeping fish healthy and water quality up.

Ask any questions you need answered and someone here will gladly jump in and help you.

Bonnie

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Oberon,
For the first time I just bought Microblift PL as I am getting ready to clean out ponds. Usually I use Proform-C but decided to change my way of doing it.

From what I read the Microblift is a start up cleaner and good bacteria starter. The koizyme I use to maintain the good bacteria in pond and add it during the year every couple of months. Hopefully this procedure will work. My pond water is a little browner but I can still see bottom and all the fish. My husb. says leave it alone as he is familiar with all problems I have had in the past.

Would really like to have a good pond vacuum. Took my pool robot to shop for work and owner had a small pond vacuum that was too rinky dink for size of my largest pond plus it would need emptying every 2 mins. When I get one I want one that will hold some water and debrie and exhaust it out of the pond not right back into it. Maybe I'm off track but I'd rather throw muck out and put it filtered right back in. Moving all the fish out to clean it is the pain in the neck but I like to keep them in clean environment. Good luck with your pond.

Bonnie

Oberon....saw this and thought of your colder water....
Might be worth a try to get things started, sooner.

http://www.calponds.com/Aqua-Meds-Products/Aqua-Meds-Arctic-Blend-p-8876.html

Thanks Bonnie and Mary. My water is nice and clear though brown. A lot of that is just the reflection of the sides and bottom. I am hauling out the pond vac today. What a chore to do by myself. But I have to get the pond clean before adding more water. I am also going to try the power sprayer when the water level is way down. It will also make it easier to scrub the bottom liner.

I checked out the URL. Looks great but for $27 worth of Arctic Blend (32 oz) they want $42 in UPS shipping. It could easily be sent USPS for less than half that but a lot of companies just won't do it. They claim they have an agreement with UPS that prohibits it. I will not sully the DG website saying what I think of UPS for setting up such a deal. sigh. But thanks anyway.

I will let you know how it goes. I do have some cold weather bacteria I can buy that starts activity at 40F. I will check the pond temp. Haven't done that since last summer.

Thanks again all.

Athens, PA

Sharon

I would take a look at the Tricide Neo Antibiotic dip for your fish. You may also want to look at the Debride Antibioitic fish food that is for ulcers as well.

I would remove him from the pond and see how he does after you put him into the dip. I would also keep an eye on the other fish as well.

Let us know.

After treating my pond twice with PP I finally got it clear enough at the deeper end to see I forgot a lily pot. I pulled it to shallower water and it appears to still be alive. Not sure what that says about the stregnth of my treatment although all else appears dead. I even pulled the moss from my creek/falls edges that might soak up PP laced water to higher ground to prevent killing them.

I am hauling out the vacuum and getting on my waders to do a cleaning and then refill. Hoping the ice dam to my drainage hold is open. May try a few buckets of hot water if not.

Okay guys. This is really unbelievable. After two doses of PP (3 tsp each, turned purple then brown), pounding on the ice, banging around cleaning up and such, I just saw two gold fish swimming around. One is the goofy one with a growth on the side of his head who has been in there for four years and a nice size (for my pond) white and orange (maybe 4" long). Go figure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.