-
AuthorContent
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 25, 2013
11:54 AM

Post #9496856

Thought I would set up a new thread as old one is getting long.

We came from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1293718/

This message was edited Apr 25, 2013 10:56 AM
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 25, 2013
1:54 PM

Post #9496972

And a new pond season begins! :)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 25, 2013
3:50 PM

Post #9497087

Yup. The pond is pretty ugly with that brown stuff in it. the pumps aren't running, so I guess I need to vacuum, scrub and pump out most of the water then refill. I will retreat with the pp after the pumps are running to be sure it hits all the lines and filters. If I have to pump it out again I will.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2013
5:58 PM

Post #9497229

I'am here!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 25, 2013
6:31 PM

Post #9497273

PP will kill it all...let it do it's magic, and then just filter it out, cleaning the filters often (several times ) and then restarting your whole pond by adding good kick start bacteria...then later turning the UV on...then finally adding fish again. Things will be crystal clear, and you won't have to worry about diseases left behind from last year... :)
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

April 25, 2013
7:46 PM

Post #9497352

I am here. Sharon from Las Vegas. I usually lurk but have been learning a lot.

We are in the high 80s and next week will the high 90s and then move to the cooler mid 80s. My KOI/Goldfish pond has a great waterfall, which keeps it cooler in the summer, and is also shaded by trees. The trees also hide the pond from the prey birds. We actually have two pelicans that live on a golf course near by and there are herons that fly overhead. The herons are usually across on the other side of the valley. So far, they have not found my pond. A few miles away two years ago they wiped out every pond in the area.

I have a sand filter on my pond but no UV. I ill try to find a photo.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

April 25, 2013
7:56 PM

Post #9497364

Photo #1 is close up of waterfall rocks.
Photo #2 is photo of pond area during snow storm winter 2011.
Photo #3 is photo of Pond summer of 2012.

This message was edited Apr 25, 2013 7:58 PM

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon   Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon   Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

April 25, 2013
7:59 PM

Post #9497368

BTW, snow in Las Vegas is very unusual.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 25, 2013
8:38 PM

Post #9497403

Sharon, I was quite shocked to see the snow. I can't even imagine snow in LV. Your pond is lovely. And the greenery around it really compliments it well. Is that an azalea to the right of the pond?
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

April 25, 2013
9:07 PM

Post #9497427

No, azaleas do not grow her. To high ph in the soil and two hot. Probably germanium.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 26, 2013
4:41 AM

Post #9497573

Sharon

I am so glad you are posting instead of just lurking - I love your photos - so beautiful. I cannot imagine snow in LV. Truthfully I try not to imagine it here either. Oberon is the true snowbunny among us!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 26, 2013
6:13 AM

Post #9497716

What is this thing called snow? ;)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2013
6:45 AM

Post #9497764

Not something we want Merry Mary!!!

I lived with it all growing up but can do without it now. Pretty coming down but thats all I can say for it. Some areas it does provide water. When I was in Colorado I saw many water reservoirs and they were waiting for snow to melt and fill them.

I'm waiting for more rain.

Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 26, 2013
7:50 AM

Post #9497828

I couldn't live where there was no snow. I love four seasons, although to be truthful, our spring and fall don't compare to the north east for beauty. We take what we can get; pussy willows opening. tulips and such coming up out of the icy mud, peony pips too. Just stuff that looks dead turning green each spring. You don't believe it could be alive even though you see it green up and become flowers year after year. Well, most everything. There are always a few that don't make it. Quite often things that I am just trying or that I moved at a bad time or to a bad place. My lilies and peonies never disappoint me though, along with phlox (paniculata and sublata), delphiniums, ligularia, monarda, troillius to name a few.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 26, 2013
9:09 AM

Post #9497890

How do Lilacs do there, Mary? I think of them as tough but I am sure they have their limits.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 26, 2013
12:51 PM

Post #9498122

I actually was raised in the snow belt of Ohio...I've seen plenty of snow in my day! Florida was quite a change for me, especially out in the yard! :)
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

April 26, 2013
1:20 PM

Post #9498144

Lilacs do not grow here. Does not get cold enough.

Oberon, I get cold if it gets below 80. And we have no humidity. We are headed into the high 90s and then will settle down into the mid 80s for the month of May. August gets pretty hot but as they say, it's a dry heat.

I got a delivery of Micoblift PL today. My pond is 2221 gallons if I did the calculations correct. I did Algebra & in highschool. I graduated in 1960. I did algebra in my job every day but I never had to determine volume before.

I will take a before and after photo of the water and fish. You will all laugh at this one. I have had this pond for 12 years. Because of the trees around the pond, some times of the year there is leaf drop. I have always been diligent to get the leaves out The pine trees dropped a lot of their pollen seeds and old needles because of high winds and I could not get it out the pool pump lines cover areas. There are two covers. After struggling for over a half hour, the light finally went on. I turned off the pump and viola. The trees are my neighbors and are really messy but give us such great shade, I just smile and clean it up.

Have a great day and I will return later. Thanks for the invite.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 26, 2013
4:51 PM

Post #9498319

Yes, we have lilacs, even in Fairbanks (-40 to -60). I have three Miss Kim bushes and one plain old lilac bush/tree. Was here when I moved in so don't know it's name. The Miss Kim's smell just luscious. So did my yellow azalea until I moved it. After three years, last summer I moved it back to the original spot. Hope it does well again.
The more the merrier Sharon. I love hearing from warmer climes. D now says we may move to Washington State. I never know what he will come up with next. Just go with the flow.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2013
5:37 PM

Post #9498359

When I lived on Bittersweet Farm in RI just 8 miles from the house I was born in in Conn. we had lilacs all over the place and the smell was heavenly. Also, of course the place was loaded with bittersweet which I also liked.
Whoever owned the place before us did some serious landscaping. We had college classes come to see our Americus Ufanius shrub. Don't ask me why. It was quite unusual I'll say that.
The lilacs lined the long driveway for the most part. There was a huge rock right near back door and it had poppies, peonies, flowering almond, and a bunch of other stuff planted all aroundi t. It was the size of a car. We were about a mile from a granit quarry that had the most beautiful stone I have ever seen. We had to put a new well down thru all that rock and it took over a week to get thru but then we had the purest water I had ever tasted. Florida water can't compare with it.
OK enough looking back.
Wherever we are planted we should grow!!! Enjoy all your flowers ladies and gents.
Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 27, 2013
7:48 AM

Post #9498872

D sacrificed a workout night and we set up the pump to the falls and biowell. Tried to pump out the pond so I could scrub and vacuum but our usual outlet was ice damed so couldn't do it. But we vacuumed a little and fired up the pumps. So happy. Even looking pretty grim with the brown PP left, the pond looks alive with the water running down the little falls. Things are melting fast so I should be able to do the pond right. Ordered more PL and will probably do one more PP before reviving the pond with bacteria and PL
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 27, 2013
12:28 PM

Post #9499110

Mary...Sounds like you're well on your way to a happy pond this year!
Bonnie...when I first moved to Florida many many many years ago, I was so used to growing everything Ohio let me grow (and having plenty of free horse fertilizer) I was so depressed not being able to grow anything in hot sand...so I knew I have to actually to pull up the bootstraps and get a positive mental perspective... I decided to grow everything they CAN'T grow up north...bananas, tropical gingers, palm trees, etc. Now when the relatives come for a visit, they love everything that's different than what they normally see in their gardens. You're right, wherever we're planted, we should grow... :) (plants AND personally!)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2013
6:14 AM

Post #9499614

Oberon, you will have a great pond this year. I'm hoping for much better for you and some fish.

Merry Mary, -Never wanted to move to Fl. but I was outnumbered. Kids and father loved it here so here we are. I finally have learned what you can and can't grow here mostly. Still experimenting.

Out of 4 eatern bluebird nesting homes Charlie built 3 are occupied. They are beautiful. I noticed this morning a great American fly catcher is out front looking at one of my bird houses they nested in a few years ago. Their WEEP call is very distinct.

Got to get ready for church. More later.

Bonnie

quaqbe
Stirling, NJ
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2013
9:44 AM

Post #9499857

trying to get the pond back in shape after "SANDY" She knocked down the neighbs 80 foot spruce...which fell right cross the pond and put several holes in the liner...fish surrived so we move on. first pic is now and second one is then, guess that is pretty obvious...

Thumbnail by quaqbe   Thumbnail by quaqbe         

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2013
1:25 PM

Post #9500083

Wow! Glad you are all ok - Was your house alright too?

We have had floods and an occasion tornado very rarely do we get much more than a lot of rain when the hurricanes come up the coast.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2013
1:38 PM

Post #9500097

quaqbe

Don't give up. Build back and go on. Glad you are OK. Thats what counts. We lost our pool cage twice to storms but we had it built back and if it goes again we'll do the same. Thats one thing here we can't fix ourselves except lower 8 ft. sections. But thats ok, thats why we carry homeowners insurance with an addendum for all the screen.

As Carolyn said hope your house was ok.

Bonnie

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

April 28, 2013
8:39 PM

Post #9500582

The photo attached is a photo of my pond looking down from the edge. This is the before photo before I add the Micoblift PL. All the math geniuses in the family are having a debate how many gallons it holds. I did not even think about the boulders in the water. One of the grandchildren thought about that. So I am going to cut the 2400 in half and go from there.

I read above you are going to add some bacteria. Would one of you please explain what that is and what it does? I have had this pond for 12 years, and never did anything but clean it. I started losing some fish this last winter and started reading about ponds. I guess I was just lucky. Late last summer I found a dead ferret in the bottom of the pond. Now I suspect it probably died because of rat poisoning because some of our neighbors use it. After that was when the fish started dying. One weekend 6 Koi died. Maybe too many Koi on such a small pond.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 28, 2013
9:32 PM

Post #9500635

How pretty your pond is and your koi are beautiful. So peaceful. I wonder if the dead ferret left some sort of toxic stuff in your pond. Especially if he succumbed to rate poison. Bad news. I will defer to those who are more knowledgeable about such things to suggest possible solutions.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2013
1:35 AM

Post #9500695

Sharon

A dead animal will foul your waters - I don't know if the animal dying from rat poison is enough poison to hurt the fish or not. Have you tested your water parameters with any of the testing kits?

Adding beneficial bacteria and enzymes will get your ponds balance going in the right direction. Benefical bacteria starts to colonize at about 55 degrees and takes several months to fully colonize. We figure our pond has fully colonized around July or so - but your water temps are probably far warmer than mine on a routine basis.

The boulders in your pond will displace some of the water, altering the amount of gallons in the pond. At this point, I think it you are into guesstimates regarding how many gallons are in your pond. If you have to refill your pond for some reason (not that I recommend that), then that would be the pont to check to see exactly how many gallons your pond holds - does your water line in your cellar have a meter on it? If not, there are other ways to measure how many gallons go into the pond when it is filling.

Questions for you - does your pond have rock in the whole bottom of the pond? Also, how do your fish look when you remove the dead fish from the water? Do they have any ulcerations or any other unusual markings?

Pretty pond - how long have you had your pond?

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 29, 2013
6:25 AM

Post #9500885

I use KoiZyme, a healthy bacteria/enzyme combo. It's pricey, as is most healthy bacterias, but one you get healthy water, you just give it a shot now and then, like a booster shot. The healthy bacteria out-eat the nasty ones, basically starving them to death. The nasty ones are the ones that cause koi death, body ulcers, fin/mouth rot/ etc. Your filters run more efficiently. If I clean my filters or do a partial water change, I add extra, just to make sure the water quality doesn't go downhill.

..dead ferret...ewww... lol Rotting meat in any pond can cause a toxic water situation.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2013
3:43 PM

Post #9501653

Worms,
Just started typing you formula for figuring gallonage and forgot last no. If you google how to figure gallons in a pond you will find many equations. I know it was lengthXwidthXdepth X something. Can anyone remember what the last figure was?
The equations vary accordng to the shape of the pond.

If I had an animal die in my ponds I'd pump them out pressure wash them out with bleach and rinse a few times and put new water and bacteria in. Thats understandable that you lost fish. Sorry about that. I pressure washed my old pond out and poured bleach all in it and then pressure washed it again and again until I was sure all the bleach was gone. Pumping it out all the while I washed. Put new bacteria KoiZyme in and let it circulate for a week and then put fish back. I put a few fish in that I didn't care too much about loosing but they lived fine and are still going 2 years later.

Merry Mary the great American flycatcher is back and looks like is making a nest out front in old green birdhouse. 3 of the holes got eaten too large but they are choosing the only that that didn't get eaten larger. I think a squirrel or woodpecker ate those holes larger.

Happy Gardening and ponding all.

Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 29, 2013
3:53 PM

Post #9501674

So what is the comparison on Koizyme and Microblift PL? I need to get cold weather bacteria to jump start the pond earlier. I believe the spring startup from Microblift has bacteria that start working at 40F. At least I hope so.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

April 29, 2013
9:33 PM

Post #9502093

I followed the formula on Google and got the volume and then the boulders came into play. This pond was built the same time the swimming pool was built about 12 years and built by the same contractor. Therefore, it is built like a spa. It has two return lines on the bottom and is filtered by a sand filter. It also has an automatic refill line because of evaporation from the waterfall and the heat.. It has a pebble teck finish. I have no place to put the fish if I drain the pond.

I have reduced the water by a large amount three different times. So far no harm to the fish and the last time was about 4 weeks ago. The last time I cleaned it I flushed all the debris that had made it's way behind and beneath the boulders. I hooked up a high spray nozzle and guided it under all the boulders and then hand skimmed the debris that rose. The boulders do not cover the total bottom but they are located in three different areas.

So I will order some Koizyme. If a fish shows up with an eye ulcer or skin ulcer, should I take it out of the pond immediately. I will Google that question.

Thanks so much for your help. Sharon
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2013
5:02 AM

Post #9502305

Sharon,
When I have a sick fish I remove them from the pond immediately to a 40 gal. tub I have and treat them with Melafix or Pimafix plus a little salt. I do keep salt in my ponds all year.

Here is something I printed out a while ago. Don't remember how I came upon it but very hand to keep on hand.

How to Prevent Spring Disease outbreaks in Koi and goldfish. By Cecil Ferguson "The Pond Doc"

http://www.ponddoc.com/ WhatsUpDoc/FishHealth/SpringOutbreak.htm.

Hope link works for you. Very helpful.
Bonnie

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2013
5:16 AM

Post #9502325

BTW I have 3 or 4 tubs I keep on hand cause one time I had many sick fish and had to treat them all at the same time. Now that was a job. It was caused by my being stupid enough to bring a new fish home and put it right into pond instead of quaranteening it for a few weeks to make sure it was healthy. Lesson learned. That was the year we took fish to koi show in Orlando. Doubt I'll ever do that again either. I'll just go and enjoy looking.\

I received lots of help during that time from this forum. I've come to the conclusion it takes a while to learn what is best for keeping fish healthy and water quality up.

Ask any questions you need answered and someone here will gladly jump in and help you.

Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2013
5:26 AM

Post #9502334

Oberon,
For the first time I just bought Microblift PL as I am getting ready to clean out ponds. Usually I use Proform-C but decided to change my way of doing it.

From what I read the Microblift is a start up cleaner and good bacteria starter. The koizyme I use to maintain the good bacteria in pond and add it during the year every couple of months. Hopefully this procedure will work. My pond water is a little browner but I can still see bottom and all the fish. My husb. says leave it alone as he is familiar with all problems I have had in the past.

Would really like to have a good pond vacuum. Took my pool robot to shop for work and owner had a small pond vacuum that was too rinky dink for size of my largest pond plus it would need emptying every 2 mins. When I get one I want one that will hold some water and debrie and exhaust it out of the pond not right back into it. Maybe I'm off track but I'd rather throw muck out and put it filtered right back in. Moving all the fish out to clean it is the pain in the neck but I like to keep them in clean environment. Good luck with your pond.

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2013
5:59 AM

Post #9502369

Oberon...saw this and thought of your colder water...
Might be worth a try to get things started, sooner.

http://www.calponds.com/Aqua-Meds-Products/Aqua-Meds-Arctic-Blend-p-8876.html
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 30, 2013
8:20 AM

Post #9502608

Thanks Bonnie and Mary. My water is nice and clear though brown. A lot of that is just the reflection of the sides and bottom. I am hauling out the pond vac today. What a chore to do by myself. But I have to get the pond clean before adding more water. I am also going to try the power sprayer when the water level is way down. It will also make it easier to scrub the bottom liner.

I checked out the URL. Looks great but for $27 worth of Arctic Blend (32 oz) they want $42 in UPS shipping. It could easily be sent USPS for less than half that but a lot of companies just won't do it. They claim they have an agreement with UPS that prohibits it. I will not sully the DG website saying what I think of UPS for setting up such a deal. sigh. But thanks anyway.

I will let you know how it goes. I do have some cold weather bacteria I can buy that starts activity at 40F. I will check the pond temp. Haven't done that since last summer.

Thanks again all.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2013
9:27 AM

Post #9502722

Sharon

I would take a look at the Tricide Neo Antibiotic dip for your fish. You may also want to look at the Debride Antibioitic fish food that is for ulcers as well.

I would remove him from the pond and see how he does after you put him into the dip. I would also keep an eye on the other fish as well.

Let us know.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 6, 2013
8:52 AM

Post #9510401

After treating my pond twice with PP I finally got it clear enough at the deeper end to see I forgot a lily pot. I pulled it to shallower water and it appears to still be alive. Not sure what that says about the stregnth of my treatment although all else appears dead. I even pulled the moss from my creek/falls edges that might soak up PP laced water to higher ground to prevent killing them.

I am hauling out the vacuum and getting on my waders to do a cleaning and then refill. Hoping the ice dam to my drainage hold is open. May try a few buckets of hot water if not.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 6, 2013
6:06 PM

Post #9511082

Okay guys. This is really unbelievable. After two doses of PP (3 tsp each, turned purple then brown), pounding on the ice, banging around cleaning up and such, I just saw two gold fish swimming around. One is the goofy one with a growth on the side of his head who has been in there for four years and a nice size (for my pond) white and orange (maybe 4" long). Go figure.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

May 6, 2013
6:40 PM

Post #9511129

Wow, those are two goldfish that have great stories to tell.

I had to clean the bottom of mine again because this time of year all our evergreen trees put on new leaves. therefore, they drop a bundle of old leaves. And we have had wind. And my mesquite tree is in pollen bloom, so the pollen is also blowing everywhere.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 6, 2013
7:07 PM

Post #9511180

I am so happy. I know they are only two of the original 12 but still - to have any survive makes me feel so good
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2013
3:41 PM

Post #9512261

I am thrilled they survived too!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 7, 2013
5:35 PM

Post #9512380

Amazing how it brightens me up to go out and see them swimming around. Walmart has some interesting koi about 3" long. I guess I might go and get two or three just for grins. At least it will take them a while to grow to a size that seems to spell doom for my fish. Maybe by then I can figure out what the problem is. Although honestly some that died this winter weren't all that big either. No idea.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2013
6:48 PM

Post #9512503

Well, if they survived the PP treatments, they too are disease free at this point! :)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 7, 2013
11:24 PM

Post #9512786

LOL. Well, another presented itself today. FOUR fish. One fish, Two fish, Three Fish, Four Fish --- for Dr. Suess Fans. I am absolutely amazed. Damien thinks that the PP didn't make it into the deep caves. Or the dose was too light to affect them. Either way I am soooooo happy some of my fishies survived.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2013
1:28 AM

Post #9512811

I am too. That is exciting! Yay!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 8, 2013
5:51 AM

Post #9512996

Yes, a lighter dose of PP can be used with your fish in the water, it will kill parastites etc. If they survived what you put in, it still killed a good bit of the bad guys, enough to begin a healthy water cycle again. Your fish should be parasite free for spring from the treatment.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 8, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9513018

That is good news then. oh, and another popped out of the caves last night. Four fish. I really am amazed. Would have sworn all were accounted for but maybe one or at the most two by corpses. Well, onward and upward.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2013
4:47 AM

Post #9517578

Happy Mothers Day! Going over to my son's shortly for Mother's Day. I made his favorite cookies, so I am hoping he enjoys them. My daughter is working long strange hours, so I will probably get a short call from her while she is on break.

What are you all doing for Mothers' Day?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 12, 2013
7:52 AM

Post #9517795

Happy Mother's Day to you all also. My daughter and her boyfriend are returning from a fun trip to Homer and are taking me and Josh's Mom out to dinner. It rained last night which freshened up the yard. Got one raised bed planted, two to go but the rain may slow me up a little. I hope you all have daffy's and tulips and crocus popping everywhere to make it a festive day.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

May 12, 2013
1:08 PM

Post #9518037

I finally got the Micoblift PL. into the pond. I am retired but still not enough hours in the day. My granddaughter (21 years of age) and grandson (8 years old) helped me plant some radishes and bib lettuce and put the stuff in the pond.

It was hilarious because it smell like rotten eggs and my granddaughters is such a girl's girl.

I checked this am and it does look clearer. I have to skim it every morning because my mesquite tree is dropping pollen constantly.

Not doing much today bu I usually do not do much on Sundays. A deal I made with my DH years ago.

Have a wonderful Mother's Day and Sunday. Sharon
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 12, 2013
1:28 PM

Post #9518059

That's interesting. I also have a 20 year old granddaughter and a 10 year old grandson. Interesting spacing. Brendan was a total surprise. I broke down and bought three koi and one shebunkin from Walmart. Then inadvertently stepped on the shebunkin while in the pond. Wouldn't even try to explain how that happened. I put him on a ledge in the water to keep an eye on him and when I went back he was gone. Probably wobbled off to die. Poor Bunky. And he was so lively.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2013
1:42 PM

Post #9518073

Mary

What??!? How does a fish get stepped on in the pond?

Sharon - the ML does smell like rotten eggs, but I vaguely remember that it was made from all natural things - nothing artificial.

I just skimmed cherry petals from the pond. More coming and we are supposed to get windy. I will have to keep an eye on things until the Kwanzen cherry is finished dropping petals - then all should be clear until fall when the trees start to lose their leaves.

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

May 12, 2013
6:59 PM

Post #9518404

They sell dry riparian tree leaves for ponds and aquariums. You could start a business with those leaves you get out of the pond. A paying hobby, LOL.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

May 12, 2013
10:00 PM

Post #9518525

In the Southwest desert, leaves thin out because of th heat. A way Mother Nature keeps the trees from stressing. I have two beautiful African Sumac in the back landscape, one Japanese Blueberry, one Mesquite, one Strawberry tree and my neighbors pine trees. We are suppose to be 101 degrees tomorrow. The sumac especially are shedding leaves big time. They are lucky I am a tree hugger.

There are 5 grandchildren in our daughter's family. Two girls, 3 boys. Hannah, 21. Sarah, 20, Corbin 16. Ethan 15 and Jacob 8. Yes, Jacob was a surprise. The girls are 18 months apart and the two oldest boys are 18 months apart. Hannah just graduated from college and is home for the summer and is going back to get her Masters. She was coming over and little brother wanted to tag along. Because grandmother's home has ice cream treats just for them.

Hope you all had a good day.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 13, 2013
8:46 AM

Post #9518971

My heavens. Sounds like a nice tribe. Well spaced out. Your daughter must have been pretty pooped out for many years. Or one of those energizer bunnies that is well organized. lol
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 13, 2013
9:04 AM

Post #9518984

Okay. The mystery of the stepped upon fish. I just can't let well enough alone. Ever. I bought three little koi and the shebunkin. I put them in my 30 gallon tank with my frog. I was only thinking of size not the fact that those 4" fish would crank the PH out of sight. When I realized that I knew that they had to go into the pond or die. The pond is about 46F right now. So I filled gallon zip lock bags, one for each fish and floated them in the pond. But once again was worried about PH and oxygen, so I got a large net (18" deep by 24" across) and hung it in the pond in the pond on the surface. Figuring that the water would be warmer there as the sun came around. I put the fish in there out of the bags as they had all equalized in temp. They all sort of fell to the bottom although if I moved the net they swam around for a bit. I figured they were sort of going dormant. The Shebunkin was not affected at all. So I let him out. He went to the bottom of the pond and sort of sat there and I worried I shouldn't have done that, but when I tried to catch him he went behind a big stone laying just below the skimmer. Then I worried he would get stuck and die. I let the others go in the meantime. So on with the waders and into the pond. I was able to tilt the stone up and swish the water around. I glimpsed him once before I lost site of him in the detritus that came from under the stone. I was afraid to drop the stone for fear he was still under it and I would squish him, but had no choice. As I let it go and stepped back I felt my foot landing on something soft. Uh huh. The shebunkin was behind me. I caught him and he had red in several spots, and I figured he was a goner. I had lifted my foot before totally dropping my weight on it, but still. So I laid him on a ledge. He was moving if I tickled him but not otherwise. Then he was gone when I got back. I have no doubt he wiggled off to die. I feel just rotten. And sooooo angry with myself that I cannot just let things alone. Just have to keep tweaking and messing. Comes of doing things I shouldn't do in the first place.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 13, 2013
2:07 PM

Post #9519295

Oh Mary - I am so sorry. I'll bet you feel horrible. I would. I feel so badly. I think we all try to do things to make them better and it backfires on us from time to time.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 13, 2013
2:44 PM

Post #9519332

Yeah. And he was the feistiest of the four fish. So I got three more shebunkin and will stay out of the pond til they are safely away. lol. Maybe they can find their friend and nurse him to health.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 15, 2013
6:35 AM

Post #9521254

Spent Mothers Day with youngest dgt. at her ranch in N. Fl. After church lots of kids came over to get a free baby pig. They had 35 and are trying to give them away as fast as possible. My SIL catches them in a large dip net-washes them off and hands them to the kids. Their parents said they wanted to raise them for the freezer but the way some of those kids acted I'll bet they will become pets. We rode the woods on their 4 wheeler and enjoyed seeing all the land they had gotten cleared this year and planted into grass for their cows. He planted 5 acres into corn and the crows picked up the plants and left them but ate the seeds. Bugger birds.

My SIL is a great cook and barbecued some steaks from their cows and boy was it good.

Now I'm home again and back to the real world of cruddy ponds and and a pool to keep going with the cleanup for this summer. Many plants are blooming and we are hoping for more rain.
Forgot to mention, I got a Sylvania digital photo frame with 123 pics of there trip to England and showed all places where my mom was raised and they were also in the church she was baptised in at 1 month old. My dgt. knew every little detail of the history of Cornwall and told me as the pictures were also on her computer. Really enjoyed that.

Bye for now. Bonnie

Hope everyone had a happy Mothers Day.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 15, 2013
8:58 AM

Post #9521442

My heavens Bonnie. You are Welsh. How very cool.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 15, 2013
9:04 AM

Post #9521457

It is very cool - I love history myself. Sounds like you had a wonderful time, Bonnie.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 15, 2013
9:11 AM

Post #9521470

OH, the fish I bought at Walmart (3 4" koi and 4 shebunkin [less the one I stepped on]) have all been out and about. The cold water doesn't seem to phase them. They may be small but they are MIGHTY!!! lol I will oxygenate the pond like made this winter.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

May 15, 2013
7:37 PM

Post #9522149

I have posted two photos. Second one is the pond this afternoon. I had already skimmed it once. First one is showing you the tree and how much is still waiting to fall. Loading changed placement of photos.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon   Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon         

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2013
1:23 AM

Post #9522296

Mary - that is great that the cold doesn't seem to bother them. What do you think the water temps are?

Sharon - How long does it typically take for the tree to be free from the falling leaves? DH and I have been skimming cherrry blossoms from ours. It seems like this year it is taking forever to skim them out.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2013
3:43 AM

Post #9522357

Don't feel so bad now knowing that I'm not the only who dips out leaves so much.

Finally cleaned all the filters the other day and sure helped ponds clear up. I am still going to pump a lot out and put in Michroblift for summer start up but that will have to wait. Plants in ponds have gotton so big they all need to be split and put some in other pots.

Eyes are really bothering me this morning so I'll quit writing for now. After Cal. trip I'll be so glad to get eye surgery done on June 18.

Take care all and happy ponding. Especially to Oberon and her new fish.

Bonnie

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 16, 2013
7:12 AM

Post #9522567

The pond is running around 45 at night and 55 in the day. I got a new pond thermometer so am checking daily again.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 16, 2013
2:38 PM

Post #9523015

Sad day...my 24" Ki Utsuri jumped the pond today. When I found it, it was still alive, but missing most of it's scales and had been flopping around on the searing hot deck for while. I put it in a salt bath to make a slime coat since she had many abrasions, and for a while, she looked ok and swam around. When I checked on her an hour later, she was a goner... Drats, I'm really bummed, she was filled with eggs, and I was hoping for some really pretty fry from her and a white butterfly male. ugh...

Thumbnail by MerryMary

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 16, 2013
3:04 PM

Post #9523049

Oh my heavens. That is really rotten. Was it too hot in the pond?? I know that koi jump but can't imagine what would make it jump out of the pond for no reason. Poor fish. Poor Mary. :(
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 16, 2013
3:22 PM

Post #9523073

The air is hot, but the water temps are still pretty cool...so I don't think it was that. I haven't had any spawning yet this year, so I thought maybe they'd wait until fall, now that the air temps are hot, but maybe someone was chasing her? Just don't know... :(
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2013
4:47 PM

Post #9523153

MM - I am so sorry. It is so hard when we lose them.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 16, 2013
6:23 PM

Post #9523238

She was just soooo big and healthy! I hate to lose the big ones!
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

May 16, 2013
7:07 PM

Post #9523302

MM, so sorry. I have never had a fish jump out of the pond. Is that common?

Some one, about a year ago, changed the valve on the filter and turned on the vacuum. Nothing was in the outlet so one of my 20 year old fish got his mouth stuck in the outlet. When we purchased him many years ago he was a feeder goldfish. We bought 4 because the grand-kids did not want bigger fish to eat them. When we moved into this home 13 years ago, we had two very large one left. One just totally disappeared. Probably a hawk.

I have four new fish that my sister purchased when she was her the first part of April. Two small Koi and two shebunkins. Since I skim the pond at least 3 times a day we are all becoming friends. The two smaller Koi have each picked out a large Koi to follow.

As fa as the Mesquite tree, we had a freeze this winter, so it is extra heavy in pollen this year. Next comes the seed pods which then dry and fall. Pollen should be another week and the seed pods are large so they are not that big of a problem. I planted the tree there so I cannot complain.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 16, 2013
7:42 PM

Post #9523346

Frankly I cannot even imagine a 2' koi. Well, I have seen some whoppers in small lakes and ponds. A small lake around a Buddhist monastery had scads of them, some even longer. Ravenous fellows.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 16, 2013
7:42 PM

Post #9523347

It's not overly common for them to jump...it happens when they have parasites (which mine don't, they've been overly treated this spring) or when males chase them for breeding (I haven't noticed them spawning, but it usually happens at 4 or 5:00am.)
I DO have several fish with altered lips, due to their insistance on looking into the intake valve of the pump. What goobers...lovely fish with flappy lips...sigh... I've learned to keep smaller grates on the intake, even if it means netting the pond more often...I found one poor thing with her entire head stuck in the intake! Her lips were sucked into a whole new direction, lol, but she survived the ordeal! 2 years later, and she's a lovely orange hariwake butterfly, with gorgeous fins, but one droopy lip. :)
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 16, 2013
7:44 PM

Post #9523349

Well, my pond hasn't had a Buddhist visitor as of yet, but I do have some larger koi. :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 17, 2013
4:53 AM

Post #9523579

Funny-,I haven't had any Buddhist visitors either. Not a bad thing.

The hawks make me nervous with the fish. We have them all over the place.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 17, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9523781

Mary, that is hysterical about the intake pipe. I never would have thought they would be interested unless they associate it with fry getting sucked in there after spawning.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 18, 2013
5:11 AM

Post #9524644

M. Mary sorry for your loss. Bummer. Glad you mentioned distorted lips. I had one and it looked all stretched out a few months ago but now is back to normal. I think from sucjing on the grate on skimmer where food sometimes congregates. I shut all pumps off while feeding and then turn back on. All the fish in larger pond now come right up to spot where I usually feed no matter who walks on the walkway. Pigs. Got them some frozen pease this week so will give them a treat this afternoon. I will thaw first of course.

Yesterday Jeff brought over and put in old pond (after treating) a 22 inch pleco he found in river he had been fishing in. Looks kind of like brown zigzag markings. Hope he eats algae like crazy. I don't want any foreigners in the pond with the butterflys. The 2 large gold ones are really fat now. They are about 5 yrs. old. Who knows maybe they have eggs.

Happy ponding all.

Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 18, 2013
5:58 AM

Post #9524694

I have noticed that some of my females are starting to thicken up around the mid section. It seems like it is early for that for my pond - but I know spawning last year early. We will see... I already have the tad poles in. At my age, I need to exercise responsible birth control ^_^
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2013
10:28 AM

Post #9524940

Just got back in from feeding them peas again...a 2lb bag lasted all of 30 seconds at best. But since I don't have a natural pond, they need some fresh greens from time to time. All the females are eggy right now, and very round. I may inject several of the larger ones, to select a male and female that I want to breed together, just to see if I get anything better than the normal flock spawnings. I don't really need any more fish, but if I end up with some, I'd rather have attractive ones, so I can give them away to friends. I'm trying to get gin rin butterflies (the sparkly scales)
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

May 18, 2013
8:28 PM

Post #9525386

I am still skimming the top of the pond but only twice today. I never see the babies until they are larger. They appear to hid in the boulders in the pond. I have two that are getting thick in the middle.

Mine are finally starting to recognize food. With all the mess on the pond, I skim it first and then feed them. They us to rush the food but now they take their time. I do take time to break the pellets in half for the little one and then try to throw into the area they are swimming around in and occasionally they find it.

Any ideas on feeding the little ones. Or do they just get what they need from the bottom. I counted today and I think I have 14. 5 small, 3 medium size that have grown from birth and 6 larger ones. Mix of KOI and goldfish. I had many more before the dead animal in the pond problem. Probably to many. I have a very large yellow Koi.

We have a "spool". A large spa. About 15 ' x 25'. Goes from 2 feet to 4 feet at the deepest. I went in once last year. DH has not been in for several years. It would make a nice pond. Has a great water fall but is wide open. Predators would not have any problem finding it.

I worked in the garden today and said again I am getting to old for this but I keep on. I have a great helper but he hurt his back. He is younger than I but I know how much hurt come when your back is not happy.

I picked my first ripe tomatoes yesterday. Delicious. Have a great Sunday. Sharon
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 19, 2013
8:23 AM

Post #9525730

I buy a small bag of fry food off ebay when I have little guys...(even my mollies and guppies breed around the small plants) When I run out, I use tropical flake food for a while. They do sell really tiny little koi pellets for babies. However, if yours are already there and not starving to death, I'm assuming you have what you need in your pond already.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-LB-GOLDEN-PEARLS-Fish-Fry-Food-500-800-Microns-/150638223575?pt=Live_Fish&hash=item2312bce0d7
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

May 19, 2013
10:34 AM

Post #9525870

Merry Mary, you always have the answer. Thank you so much. We are having beautiful weather today. I am resting the old body today. But resting for me is not easy. You just about need to lock me in a cage.
quaqbe
Stirling, NJ
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2013
6:47 AM

Post #9529530

help!!! My local pond experts can't seem to help I am hoping with the gathering of expertise here, some one will have an answer! After Sandy we had some major repair to do, finally in mid April my usual pond guy came and cleaned it out and repaired the main front wall but did not fix the "plumbing". Two wks ago we had several inches of rain in a matter of an hour and the pond filled up with mud and pollen and mold spores and anything else that was in the air. I have changed the filter to fine and clean it every 3 hours, I have added two doses of Acurel, a biological flocculent, no change...I tried algae control, I hate chemicals, no change, I tried two doses of greenclean, no change, I tried one large dose of Aqua cleaner, its bacteria & enzymes, still no change. I do not have a tub to move the fish to or I would drain and refill. I do have 5, yes 5 Koi all over 2.5 feet long. I am at my wits end. As u can see in the pictures one clean and one with plumbing working but NO clarity.
Would hate to have to just fill in the hole, have never had this trouble in the 11 years I have had the pond.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated by me and my fish. thnx

Thumbnail by quaqbe   Thumbnail by quaqbe         

quaqbe
Stirling, NJ
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2013
6:53 AM

Post #9529538

PS...this is what it looked like before Sandy...pictures above show how naked we are now.

Thumbnail by quaqbe

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 22, 2013
8:10 AM

Post #9529631

It looks like you need a UV Light... You can get better deals for them on Ebay... I'd use a 36watt or above. It will take 4 or 5 days to clear, but should do the trick. Add some good bacteria/enzyme product (there's one with barley in it for green water) To my and my humble ponding opinion, it just looks like you're restarting the healthy balance of the water, due to the extra rain water.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 22, 2013
8:14 AM

Post #9529634

http://www.ebay.com/itm/36W-UV-Pond-Clarifier-Aquarium-Sterilizer-Treat-For-8800Gal-Water-No-More-Green-/300718893348?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46043e2924

One like this...
quaqbe
Stirling, NJ
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2013
8:40 AM

Post #9529680

I/we just re-did all the plumbing...gluing fittings and pipes, my husband will kill me if I tell him we need to add a UV light besides I don't know where it would fit. We did just add a Ionizer this year and he swears that is what is causing the problem. But I will look into it...any additives that can work in lieu of the UV light?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 22, 2013
8:53 AM

Post #9529695

The light will be cheaper than several doses of additives at $20 a pop. And the light bulb only gets changed once a year. Even if you run it on an extension cord with a small pump instead of through your whole plumbing line, it will still do the trick.
pondlove
Lewes, DE

May 22, 2013
10:52 AM

Post #9529875

I have a Pondmaster submersible UV light that is very easy to add to your pond plumbing system. It goes between the outtake from the pump and the water return to the pond. Just cut the hose and pop it in.

This is the second year for mine and it works like nothing else.
quaqbe
Stirling, NJ
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2013
11:40 AM

Post #9529931

Sound fairly easy BUT...I have a two inch pipe from the pump to the first step down tee, then two inches to the next step down and the upside of the second tee steps down to the upper filter which is about a 1 inch line, so i have a two inch outflow from the pump which does about 4000 GPH and three outflows. Can it be put on a separate sort of re-circulating pump? I have one that I use as a spare, just for aeration if the big one goes out and I just drop it in the pond.
quaqbe
Stirling, NJ
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2013
12:03 PM

Post #9529954

Is there a UV inline unit, where the water goes in one END and out the other instead of in the side and out the side? If there is an inline I think I could get it between the last side exit and the upper filter we have a one inch hose on that section and its about 2 feet long so that might work as long as its ok that all the water doesn't go through the unit.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 22, 2013
2:55 PM

Post #9530170

Yes, the water goes in one end and out the other. They can be ordered to fit different sized pipes, or with a hose attachment that goes (usually) from a 3/4 pond hose, up to a 1 1/2 inch.
Yes, You CAN just run a separate little submersible pump through the UV light, with a hose that goes back into the pond...if you don't want to try to hook anything up to your existing pond piping and tubes. That makes it very easy without messing with anything else.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 22, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9530275

I would be lost without my uv lights. The uv lights also act as a sterilizer and so will also help with the health of your fish.

quaqbe
Stirling, NJ
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2013
7:19 PM

Post #9530491

u folks are the best...I will search for an inline UV light, u say about 36 watts should do? I'll post pictures when it gets clean. Thks
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2013
7:35 PM

Post #9530509

Just put new bulbs in both UV sterilizers today for both ponds. Wouldn't be without one either.
For months I had sturggled with brown water in old pond but when I got the UV in 2 days in was clear. When we built second pond we put one on it immediately before enzym and bacteria were added.
I paid a lot more than the one Merry Mary is referring to but they are larger and I didn't know the difference at the time so I went by gallonage of each pond. They sure did the trick.
Bonnie
quaqbe
Stirling, NJ
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2013
6:06 AM

Post #9532222

am so excited... found a light that I think is going to work...no plumbing, how cool. its an Aqua 25 Watt UV Clarifier for Savio SkimmerFilter.
If it works it just slides down into the skimmer box. Keep your fingers crossed that this is the answer.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 24, 2013
7:53 AM

Post #9532344

Let us know... and good luck.
quaqbe
Stirling, NJ
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2013
5:22 AM

Post #9545696

Well, good morning...Sunday I put three cups, made into a slurry, of ,something called "hydra crystal" within 4 hours I could see several inches into the water. I also added two aeration stones. suddenly the fish are back to the surface and feeding. Its now going on second day and I am still changing the filter every two hours but I can now see nearly half way into the water and the water coming over the falls is no longer green but crystal clear. I think I am winning. I have not put the uv in yet, but soon.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2013
8:03 AM

Post #9545882

Q, that wonderful. When I get back from Cal. on June 13 I will be ready to clean up both of my ponds.
Once you get the UV going should clear up fine.

Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 5, 2013
5:33 AM

Post #9546996

We got in last night from vacation in Boston and Maine. I am going to have to do some back flushing on my pressure filters to backflush and I am thinking the pondzyme should help. We have not been as faithful about adding that - especially being gone. I am afraid I might have DOC in the pond, but my fish don't seem to be stressing for air. I'll have to see what is going on there.
quaqbe
Stirling, NJ
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2013
9:30 AM

Post #9548521

New problem, cleaned the net in my skimmer and found half a dozen fish scales. Is this normal? or is there something I need to do sooner rather than later? They seem to be happy and eating really well they aren't swimming funny or anything.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

June 6, 2013
3:10 PM

Post #9548903

My brother used to do warranty work for Hayward pool equipment. He retired last year and had many parts left over. They do not want them back because of the shipping cost so I was gifted with a O Zone unit. It is a little over kill for my small pond bu we will out it on a timer once it gets the pond cleaned up. I have posted a photo of the unit. One light of the four is not working but that is probably a good thing. This would be used on very large hot spa tub.

I have also posted a photo of the pond this afternoon. You can actually see one of the filter drains in the bottom. The algae is disappearing and I am seeing things in the bottom of the pond I had no idea were there.

How could you tell these were fish scales. I have no answer to your question but we have some pretty smart pople on here. They will either know the answer or know where to send you for info.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon   Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon   Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon      

quaqbe
Stirling, NJ
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2013
3:41 PM

Post #9548946

as a fresh water fisher person, daddy taught me how to scale my catch...wanted me to be a good as my brothers, I was the only girl out of seven, so I recognize them as scales. Maybe they are shedding like we shed dead skin cells. I just don't remember ever seeing them before, maybe I wasn't looking.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 6, 2013
4:42 PM

Post #9549024

My fish are so big that when they lose a scale, it looks like a quarter. Make sure they don't have an abrasion somewhere...or that one isn't missing all together! The doitsu koi, that have larger scales along their backs and lateral line, occassionally lose a scale, but it leaves a small wound, so make sure you don't have any injuries that need tending to.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2013
4:59 PM

Post #9549060

Typically when I see a number of scales from my fish, generally it is after they spawn. Have you seen other things that would indicate spawning - foam on the water? An odor? Fish look a bit beaten up? Koi spawning can be quite rough.

quaqbe
Stirling, NJ
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2013
6:02 PM

Post #9549124

the fish are very frisky and do look a bit frazzled, mine tend to rub themselves up in the water spearmint I have growing along the edge. If they are spawning it will be the first time my big gold koi is 10 years old the rest are 6 or 7 years old. I thought the smell was from the green water I am struggling to control. I am winning I think...LOL but since I can now see into the water about 4-5 inches I at least feel like I'm winning.
I'll keep an eye on them for the next couple of days...
quaqbe
Stirling, NJ
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2013
12:32 PM

Post #9552363

UV went in on Thursday (6/6) today I can see the gravel on the bottom...33" down. Its not yet crystal clear but I am winning...finally...I am so excited. BTB, attached is a picture at night with my big shortwave UV light on...I have reconfigured since the picture but it is now similar.

Thumbnail by quaqbe

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2013
12:34 PM

Post #9552370

Great news!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 9, 2013
3:50 PM

Post #9552610

It only takes a short while for people to be convinced how happy their pond can be with a UV light! It makes a world of difference! I'm happy your pond is clear!
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

June 9, 2013
9:50 PM

Post #9552997

I love the lights. Good news on the pond getting clearer.

In my pond is a yellow Koi, Sunshine, that is about 3 years old and about 10 inches long. Was born in the pond. I have been watching him for weeks. I have 6 Koi that have been in the pond over 12 years and I think they intimidate "sunshine". He will not surface but he is getting higher in the pond every day. I thought for sure today he was going to make it but just before he got to the surface he dived. He eats the flakes and is like a vacuum on the bottom. He will swim along side of the larger fish but not above them. I cheer for him every morning. There are smaller fish and they surface al the time.

Have a great Monday. We have been in a heat wave. 110 degrees yesterday and today but tomorrow suppose to cool down to 102. "But", it is a dry heat.
quaqbe
Stirling, NJ
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2013
6:20 AM

Post #9553259

MM, does the UV kill off the good bacteria, like micro lift?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 10, 2013
9:07 AM

Post #9553499

No, once your good bacteria gets established, the UV light won't bother it. While getting it established, they often recommend that you turn off your UV and any carbon filters. After a few days, you turn it back on fulltime. They also say the best method of adding good bacteria is to put it in a bucket of pond water, and let it sit overnight to really get up and running, then dump it in your pond. After a few days, turn your UV light on fulltime again. The UV lights kill single cell beings...so green water algae is a single cell plant, it won't effect your water lilies or anything. It will kill some protozoan diseases, because they too are single cell. The less green water algae you have, due to the light, the more your bacteria will control what's left, by eating the nutrients in the water that is needed for algae to grow.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

June 16, 2013
9:31 PM

Post #9561718

Sunshine, the pale yellow koi surfaced Thursday. I was so excited I let out a hoop and a holler and scared the fish big time. He took a dive and did not surface again until today. Now he/she is swimming with the big boys.

Yesterday Sunshine was swimming at the bottom of the pond with a fantail goldfish about his size and they were going around in circles and rubbing bodies but it looked like they were just having fun. So, what were they doing.

The algae is disappearing, the water is clearer and the fish are way more active. When I fed them yesterday two of the older koi broke water.

Have a good Monday.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 17, 2013
6:41 AM

Post #9562015

Are you sure the pale yellow fish is a koi? Sounds like goldfish spawning to me! :)
There are off white goldfish/comets. But even if it isn't a goldfish, occassionally koi and goldfish will interbreed.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

June 17, 2013
10:26 PM

Post #9562992

I have a friend that is a Koi breeder and seller. I will have him come over and give me his opinion. He also told me the other day he would tell me who was a female and who was a male. I really have no idea because it was born in the pond. It's mother was a very large fish that just disappeared one night. But I did not know what she was. She came with many other Koi that the owner died and the granddaughter worked for me and wanted them to go to a nice pond because the individuals that purchased her grandfather's home was going to fill the pond in and put the fish in the garbage.

They are very active and several again today broke water. They only appear to do that when I am near so I guess they are just saying hello.

I am off to bed. Have a great Tuesday. I do not get on here until late afternoon. Sharon

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 18, 2013
3:00 AM

Post #9563064

Koi will have barbels (whiskers) and goldfish will not. You may be able to tell if you can see it up close.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 18, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9563265

CRAZY morning already! Woke up to find police all over the neighborhood. Apparently a minivan was stolen from a Racetrack gas station by me, and they drove into our neighborhood, not knowing my street is a little cul-de-sac. They abandoned it and ran. I'm thinking they must have jumped my fence and ran through the back yard, because all of my temporary hoses were off the filters, which drained the temporary pools my koi were in (while I do my new pond) They must have tripped over everything in the dark, and trust me, my back yard right now is one big hazard! Anywhoooo, had to go to Lowe's at 7am, to get some antichlor to try to get my fish in at least enough water to cover their gills. So far, so good...only one large butterfly looked doubtful. Right now, she looks like she'll pull through. So many of them are around 2 feet, and have big egg bellys, so can't really handle much stress. The up side of it is that I got to take some pics of fish while they were in only 6 inches of water, to sort of get an inventory! :)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

June 18, 2013
8:42 AM

Post #9563387

I had the same experience but during the day. A guy on parole (drug dealer) was running from the police and came through my back gate while I was gardening. He was acting erratic and his story didn't make much sense but he was non-threatening so I suggested he come in and call the police (not knowing he was running from the police). Funny when you look back. He asked if he could take my car and I said no, so he asked if I would drive him out and I said no. He fled out the back door about the time the cops filled OUR culdesac. I got such a ration from my husband and politely from the cops for being so stupid as to invite him in the house. He could have shot me. I did stay by the door out back just in case but not much good if he pulled a gun, which they said he had. The police kept asking if he threatened me or tried to take my car without permission. I said no that he kept saying "don't worry, stay calm." more worried about me getting upset than anything. They later came and got me to identify him a few blocks over. I sat in the back of the police car well away from him and just peeked over the back seat to see him standing with a policeman in the middle of the street. Quite and experience. God looks after fools and children. With my naivte not sure that I don't qualify for both.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

June 18, 2013
10:03 AM

Post #9563517

Wow, you guys, both of those events are scary. I will look at the fish. I will get my old eyes out there right now because the light is on the pond.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 20, 2013
7:02 AM

Post #9565999

Started taking a few pics while the water was low. This one is a Doitsu Matsuba, close to 2 feet long.

Thumbnail by MerryMary

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 20, 2013
7:03 AM

Post #9566002

Ki Utsuri

Thumbnail by MerryMary

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 20, 2013
7:06 AM

Post #9566008

Doitsu (dragon Scale) yamabuki

Thumbnail by MerryMary

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 20, 2013
7:07 AM

Post #9566011

Asagi ...one regular, one gin rin (sparkly scales)

Thumbnail by MerryMary

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 20, 2013
7:13 AM

Post #9566018

Butterfky yamabuki (Butterfly = hirenaga)

Thumbnail by MerryMary

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 20, 2013
7:15 AM

Post #9566020

Both are shusui butterfly...Blue fish with red and minimal scales. The right one is usally referred to as Hana Shusui, meaning much more red.

Thumbnail by MerryMary   Thumbnail by MerryMary         

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 20, 2013
7:36 AM

Post #9566046

Gorgeous, Mary! Do you know bow late the zippers can appear on the backs of the koi? My shishui was about 3-4" when I bought him and he already had his zipper. I have an orange (orenji?) The has that type of marking, however he is still all orange. I am wondering if he is working on zipper. I believe he is about 5 years old or so. He was born in my pond.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2013
10:19 AM

Post #9566261

Hi MM,
Can't write much cause can't see too good yet from eye surgery. I do see the blue one, hopefully thats the guy I am going to inheret. He is just beautiful. Do you have another blue you could breed it with?
All for now.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 20, 2013
10:27 AM

Post #9566277

The top pic is of a doitsu matsuba...it looks like a red shushui, but isn't. It is red with a a black zipper down it's back...does yours look like that?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 20, 2013
10:31 AM

Post #9566283

Bonnie, I have one for you that's smaller...the pictured ones are close to 2 feet long. I also have a non-butterfly blue for you, who is a very pretty sky blue, with hardly any red.

Carolyn, The "shusui" are really blue fish, with red bellies (to some extent) Depending on how far the red crawls up his sides, and to the top, to make him red, then makes him a hana shusui, the hana meaning red. If you have a red fish with the zipper, it's more than likely a not a shushui, and will not develop any blue.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 20, 2013
11:39 AM

Post #9566376

Mary, my shishui is blue with quite a bit of red. I am talking about a completely different fish and only mention my shishui as a reference in regards to his zipper. I will get a picture of the orange fish when I get home from work, so you can see him.

Bonnie - how did your surgery go? Hope you are feeling better soon.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 20, 2013
2:14 PM

Post #9566644

Carolyn...sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. :) I'd love to see a picture of your fish!

Bonnie, hope your eyes heal quickly, I know you love to get outside...and of course, read the massive amounts of deep meaningful things we have to say! Ha! :) I've been trying to hand dig my new pond, but these high 90's only let me go for a short time. I've been thinking how lovely it would be to tear down all of our fences and drive your Kubata in! We'd probably get sued by the neighbors, but the pond would be done! Yippeee!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 20, 2013
5:23 PM

Post #9566807

Mary

He is the all orange one in the picture. He has a zipper like line going down his back, although the line is orange like he is. If you look at him in person, you can tell the scaling is different than the rest of his scales or the other fish that do not have zipppers down their back. That is why I was wondering if this area might change color on him. Not sure how old a fish can be before you can figure they won't change their colors or patterns - do you know?

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 20, 2013
6:52 PM

Post #9566890

Nope...he will stay the same that he is now. He's a doitsu orenji... Orenji meaning in the orange (single color) range...and doitsu meaning minimal scales. The scales can be anything from pretty much non-existant, to minimal with a back ridge, like yours has, to larger spot area scales. It was a breed developed by the Germans (hence Deutsch, translated into Doitsu) Some of mine have dolphin like skin, with only scales down their spine...some have that plus a few very large scales along their lateral line. :)
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 20, 2013
7:00 PM

Post #9566905

Carolyn...Here you can see a normal scaled fish on the top...and a doitsu scaled fish on the bottom. The bottom doitsu has white scales down his spine, and his body coloring is also white. They will not change to a dark color. He's about 7 years old, and 2 feet long.

Thumbnail by MerryMary

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 21, 2013
1:19 AM

Post #9567157

Mary

My orenji's scales are very similar to you fish on the bottom. I kind of wondered - I think my fish is about 5 years old or so.

Your fish are so pretty.

Thank you.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2013
6:10 AM

Post #9567309

Hi All,
Every day its improveing but left eye still blurry vision some. Had it done Tues. and had pain which isn't normal so eye doc called me and said to come back in and he checked it and said it was healing now for which I'm very thankful. It throws balance off because its seeing different than other eye. Can't wait to get right eye done too then they will get in sync.
A very humbling experience.
My 18 yr. old grandson is coming tomorrow from Cal. so will put him to work helping me clean ponds as they badly need it.
Please continue to pray for healing in left eye. I appreciate it much.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 21, 2013
5:03 PM

Post #9567983

Prayers definitely headed your way Bonnie! How nice that he's coming to visit you! Be careful while you heal, don't overdue anything and delay the healing process. Things will be there next week and next month! Whatever doesn't get done today, certainly can wait. :)
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2013
5:24 PM

Post #9568005

Bonnie, I'm adding you to my prayer list too. Unknown iris.

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy      

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2013
4:52 PM

Post #9569033

THANK YOU FOR PRAYER. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT.
Charlie and SIL just went to airport to PU grandson. News this morning said Southwest Airlines had computer problems so they had lots of planes delayed but I checked and his is on time.
I have been just lazing around inside the house cause the bright sun really bothers the eye even with those dark glasses on. Will take it easy even tho its not in my nature.
Happy ponding to all.
Bonnie
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2013
4:17 AM

Post #9569509

You're welcome. I'll try to get over to the pond to take some pictures of the water lilies, they were beautiful yesterday, but of course, I didn't take the camera with me. I should have some Japanese irises blooming, too.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2013
10:02 AM

Post #9574021

Holy cow...it's been so incredibly hot outside that I haven't been able to get much digging done for the pond. I just trim plants here and there and still come inside drained!
Bonnie...hope you're having a good time with your grandson. Also hope you eye is healing, so you can enjoy your beautiful yard and ponds!
Mittsy..the only camera I have is my cell phone, so that's easier to carry around with my cup of coffee anyway. My husband is such a gadget guy, getting the most advanced of whatever, that most of us have no clue how to use any of it...so cell phone camera it is.
Caroylyn...how many fish do you have in your pond?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2013
1:33 PM

Post #9574313

MM - We have 17 fish in our pond, which is 4850 gallons.

Bonnie - how is your eye doing?

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2013
5:15 PM

Post #9574660

Carolyn...got your message and will respond shortly...
I'm trying to be reeeeallly good once my pond is done, and lighten some of my fish load. I fully admit that I have way too many now that half are 2 feet long, but I'm also attached to most of them, and always see one more that I just can't live without. I'm going to try to keep 15 jumbos (anything over 20") and 15-20 smaller ( 6-14 inch) and then sell the rest. Of course, while Bonnie's not looking, I'm going to send some to her pond. :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2013
6:04 PM

Post #9574744

Thank you, Mary.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2013
6:23 PM

Post #9574758

Hi all,
Eye is getting better but haven't driven as had is a little dizzy due to both eyes aren't in sync. Got eye doc. apmt. tomorrow and I'm hoping he'll set other eye apmt. surgery.
Got old pond cleaned out and refilled. During the process all fish died except 3 small ones. Lack of ozygen I'm sure. Transfered 3 largeer ones into large pond and 2 made it ok.
Jeff was not happy as most of them were his. Pond is crystal clear and I'm not going to tush out and buy more cause right now got other things to deal with.
This morning they were churning up water mateing and also ate up all the water celery we put in there. Will pull some out and see if I can get it growing again. Guess it was because they never had anything that tasted that good green. BTW I tasted it and its very good.
Grandsons who helped me dig pond came over and good thing they did or it would never have been finished. 18 yr. old from Cal. needs to go back next Tues. and I can't wait. Just sat down and bossed us all around until I told him to shut up. Guess 18 knows everything or this one does.
Charlie has been so patient and helpful to me I was shocked.
Time for bed and I'm going to take a sleeping pill and hope it knocks me out for the night.
Appreciate your prayers.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2013
7:12 PM

Post #9574817

Goodness Bonnie! What an adventure!! Certainly don't buy koi, I will bring you some!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2013
3:00 AM

Post #9575132

Bonnie, hope your doctor can fix you right up! Try to take it easy. We are still flooded but the japanese irises are loving it. A few more bloomed yesterday. First Act at pondside. Close up #4 is Coho. Unregistered I call it Boojum after the screen name of the Bonnie who swapped with me.

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2013
3:07 AM

Post #9575133

For some reason the pictures didn't coordinate with the captions. #4 is Boojum and #5 is Coho.

Hope these are correct.
#1, 2, and 3 Purchased as Pleasant Journey but it's NOT. Just another vigorous noid.
4 & 5 Flooding picture of unregistered Fortune in standing water

Yesterday I saw four baby skunks go under the hot tub decking. So cute!

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2013
9:35 AM

Post #9578646

MM,
Thank you. July 9 is last eye surgery and then hopefully I will be seeing straight and have better balance. i'm not doing much work outside due to heat but thank God our home is very cool and comfortable.
Mittsy,
Your iris are just beautiful. Lovely colors.
My thumbergia, cleradendrum, brugs, dutchsman pipe and some calabrocoa, golden cestrum are blooming now. Zebra longwings seem to love that cestrum and there are a lot of them around now. Some pink mandevilla has climbed up into oak tree about 25 feet and are blooming. Also I noticed my yellow alamanda just planted this year are blooming. We have had a little rain every day and it sure makes the plants grow like crazy.
Happy gardening all.

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 9, 2013
6:09 AM

Post #9592625

Ok...started a new thread called Ponds 2013 III . Not sure how to link them, but it's up and running. :)
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 9, 2013
6:11 AM

Post #9592630

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1324356/

New thread started... go to here! :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America