Shade veggies/fruits?

Spring City, TN

What early spring veggies and high summer veggies could handle 3 hours of direct sun and the rest bright but dappled shade?

I've got a great place for a raised garden bed... but the sun is the issue....

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

For early spring, all kinds of leafy greens will do fine in part shade, and it sounds like you get a fair amount of light there. Lettuce, spinach, etc.

Summer is harder. You might try things which like cooler conditions than you normally have in the summer. Otherwise, I'm interested to hear what ideas people have, since I have more shade than anything else!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

You will like this article -- 40 plants to grow in partial shade. (hooray, it's one list -- you don't have to click it 40 times!). Plus, iIt also includes extra tips to consider, in those areas.

http://www.examiner.com/article/40-fruits-vegetables-and-herbs-that-will-grow-partial-shade

I can personally vouch for lettuce, romaine, Swiss chard and mustard greens. This year, I've got strawberries growing in both full sun and in partial shade. The partial shade one is a little slower, but otherwise is looking fine and now producing berries -- just a week or so later than the others. On the plus side, the one in the partial shade may last longer into the hotter season.

Lise

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.