Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: Saving Seed

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 5, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2013
2:04 PM

Post #9498183

Does anyone know if when saving seed, one has to dry the seed & how long does one have to hold it before one can plant it. For example, if I eat a tomato & dry the seed for 2 weeks, do I have to wait until next spring to plant it or could I plant it this fall.
iowagardening
Brayton, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2013
6:34 AM

Post #9498805

From what I have read Hill, you pick your best ones cut them open and scoop the seeds into a glass jar and add a little water cover the jar with plastic wrap/lid etc and stick the jar in a warm window. Tomato has to go through a fermentation process I guess to get them to germinate. After they ferment for awhile rinse off all the yuck and allow to dry. But I am not sure if they need to go through a cool fridge/freezer period. But I imagine if all the processes are met you could plant them soon after.

Please note I am very new at all this gardening stuff and more than likely just talking out my backside...butt I did read an article about it somewhere. It makes sense considering if a tomato rots on the ground thats the fermentation process cool period from winter and volunteers start popping up the next year.
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2013
7:26 AM

Post #9498855

That is such a simple question but I really don't know the answer for sure. I think you could plant tomato seeds without even drying them and they would grow. They for sure do not have to go though a stratification period. I think the purpose of fermentation is to kill some diseases and the purpose of drying is just for storage and later planting.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2013
8:34 AM

Post #9498904

I don't know the answer, but here's what I have observed:

If I bury a tomato that has ripened (let's say in July) - I have not noticed any will sprout that same year. But they will (if I'm lucky) sprout the following year.

I have never tried fermenting the seeds and sowing them the same year, but it seems likely they would sprout.

I have fermented tomato seeds and sown them the following year with success.

From these observations, I'm guessing that natural fermentation (or something similar) happens to the seeds in the ground during the winter, and when the soil warms in the spring, it wakes up the seeds and they sprout.
milesdt
Pulaski, GA

April 27, 2013
9:35 AM

Post #9498975

This is my experience. Last fall, maybe Sept. or Oct., I noticed brand new tomato seedlings coming up in the area of the garden where I had my cherry tomato plants. The only way I could figure this out was that cherry tomatoes had dropped off the plants, rotted in the ground and the seeds had sprouted, all within the same season. I dug them up, kept them inside all winter in pots and then set them out a couple of weeks ago. Also, gave some away (there were lots!).

If anybody has another explanation, I'm open to listening. We are zone 8, coastal GA.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2013
7:43 PM

Post #9500508

Soak a seed after you eat a fresh tomato , rinse the seed after soaking , They grow then , I should add let the seed dry before planting , The coating you cannot see has to come off the seed , auxin in the seed coat keeps them from germinating..
Likely the seed dormancy period in nature ?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America