Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Solanum mammosum germination, 1 out of 7

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

Does anyone have experience with germinating these seeds? I used the paper towel method and kept the baggie alternately on and off a heat mat. After 3 weeks one out of the 7 seeds I used germinated. It has been almost 3 more weeks without any additional germination. The remaining seeds look good, plump and moist, but no sign of radicles. Can these seeds be abraded or nicked? Any suggestions?
Thank you, Alana

Florissant, MO

According to this article (url below), you can "excise the tissue near the root tip" to help germination.

http://www.kew.org/science-research-data/kew-in-depth/difficult-seeds/species-profiles/solanum-mammosum/index.htm

Art

Thank you Art. I'm going to try that with a couple of them and see what happens.
Alana

Florissant, MO

Best of luck with the germination Alana!

Thanks again Art! The result was gratifyingly swift. I excised a small bit of tissue at the apex of two seeds yesterday and one of them has germinated this morning. When I have a little more time, I'll perform surgery on the others.

Florissant, MO

Wow, that was fast! Good for you Alana!

Art

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.