Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 28, 2013
10:33 AM

Post #9499893

Are there any plants that will grow in the area under the bird feeder that is littered with black oil sunflower hulls?

Herman
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2013
6:55 AM

Post #9500946

What would you want to grow directly under your feeder? I think if you cleaned up all the hulls, amended the soil and did not let the hulls accumulate you could grow just about anything you want provided the other conditions are good. There may be some plants highly sensitive to sunflower seeds but I don't know what they are, and likewise there may be plants that are immune to the effect of them. I have never seen a list of such plants, so it will be interesting to see if some people do have plants that do well under bird feeders using sunflower seeds. There is nothing growing in a small circles directly under my feeder, not sure how much is caused by the hulls and how much of that is caused by all the squirrels and birds constantly patrolling the area for stray seeds.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2013
7:12 AM

Post #9500980

I've heard previous complaints about sunflower hulls inhibiting plants but do not know which in particular are affected, and which not.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America