Edit: added new picture
http://i.imgur.com/Qa76XpL.jpg

This message was edited Apr 29, 2013 7:12 PM
Carolyn_Roberts
Ladson, SC

April 28, 2013
7:57 PM

Post #9500527

It looks like a pear tree. What kind I do not know but I would say fruit bearing. I uploaded your picture for you.

Thumbnail by Carolyn_Roberts
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn_Roberts
Ladson, SC

April 29, 2013
9:16 AM

Post #9501168

Here are some photos of mine.Picture 1 is a full grown tree. Picture 2 is is a newly planted younger one so the leaves are a little droopy.

Thumbnail by Carolyn_Roberts   Thumbnail by Carolyn_Roberts         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2013
9:57 AM

Post #9501208

Do some of the twigs end as pointy but blunt thorn like projections? If it does, it could be one of a species of Sideroxylon. The genus used to be called Bumelia. The most common is Sideroxylon lanuginosum, but it's tough to ID correctly because there are a number of subspecies.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/Portals/0/PlantFinder/low/M830-0701051gk.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/plant-finder/plant-details/kc/m830/sideroxylon-lanuginosum.aspx&h=194&w=259&sz=1&tbnid=eE2p2CTfcM2EhM:&tbnh=160&tbnw=213&zoom=1&usg=__3L1NbkZscQ9l-OCGzVcTKErIuZs=&docid=Yp7jdUs0gwJI3M&itg=1&hl=en&sa=X&ei=o6R-UY7KJcaB2gXYnIFQ&sqi=2&ved=0CIkBEPwdMA4
Carolyn_Roberts
Ladson, SC

April 29, 2013
10:51 AM

Post #9501287

It is very close not all yearlings on the pear tree. will produce thorns at this stage. The main vein on the leaf of the pear tree is green. The underside of the leaf is not a silver color and the leaves are not quite that oblong. The pear tree has a shorter more round leaf. This picture is the Sideroxylon lanuginosum. I am sorry but it is close but I do not agree.

Thumbnail by Carolyn_Roberts
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn_Roberts
Ladson, SC

April 29, 2013
10:56 AM

Post #9501291

She is also in Connecticut. Many zones off from this plant.Again very close but I disagree.
Designkelly

April 29, 2013
11:17 AM

Post #9501312

Thank you to anyone who has posted!!!

A little backstory about this tree. I did not plant this tree, it started randomly growing in the front of my house very close to the foundation. A withering cherry tree is growing about 7 ft next to it (the cherry tree I did plant).

This tree in question was quite tiny back in early 2011 and I didn't pay attention to it as I thought it was a weed or some sort of offshoot of a small bush next to it. It grew very fast and by the next summer it was huge. It is too close to the house and so I was concerned when I saw it recently and how large it had become.

I do not believe it has flowered and appears to have no projections or any thorns or anything like that . I will be taking more pictures of it on Wed and will post them. I also have an old picture of it from when it was very small back in 2011, not sure if that helps.

This is in CT right on the border of Zone 6a and 6b.

Thumbnail by Designkelly   Thumbnail by Designkelly         

Designkelly

April 29, 2013
4:17 PM

Post #9501709

More pics

Thumbnail by Designkelly   Thumbnail by Designkelly   Thumbnail by Designkelly      

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2013
5:55 PM

Post #9501799

Reminds me of one of the Buckthorns (Rhamnus sp.)...
Carolyn_Roberts
Ladson, SC

May 2, 2013
9:18 PM

Post #9506164

I have to disagree. The buds and branches are not opposite.The leaves are not the same. I am not certain I am correct. However Resin would probably be the best on this one for ID.

Glossy buckthorn (Frangula alnus)
Appearance: Tall understory shrub or small tree, grows up to 18' high, has a spreading loosely branched crown, often multiple stems at the base.

Leaves: Oval, smooth, dark, glossy, and toothless edges. 8-9 pair of leaf veins. Leaves stay green late into fall.

Branch: Buds and leaves are alternate. No thorn at tip of twig.

Wood: Brown bark with elongate silvery corky projections (caution: native plums or cherries have a similar bark). Cut branch exposes yellow sapwood and orange heartwood.

Fruit: Small clusters of berry-like, 1/4" fruit. Ripens progressively from a distinctive red-brown to a dark purple in August and September.

Thumbnail by Carolyn_Roberts   Thumbnail by Carolyn_Roberts   Thumbnail by Carolyn_Roberts   Thumbnail by Carolyn_Roberts   

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2013
12:10 AM

Post #9506195

Quite a few lenticels on the stems. It looks Rosaceae but I think the leaves aren`t out enough to compare the leaves. I`d say wait a few weeks and see what develops.
Designkelly

May 3, 2013
6:06 PM

Post #9507239

More pics... There appear to be some sort of buds appearing on this tree.

http://imgur.com/a/Ix88b

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2013
6:27 PM

Post #9507260

OK - next worst thing to a Buckthorn...is an Elaeagnus sp.

Sure looks like lots of structural scales evident on all those plant parts. Pest pest pest...

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2013
7:04 PM

Post #9507288

I agree with Elaeagnus.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2013
1:25 PM

Post #9508016

Ditto to an Elaeagnus - those scurfy scales on the leaf are characteristic.

Resin

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America