Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

SOLVED: What is this?

Carmel, United States

This plant was on our property before we bought it. It was attached to a trellis. I remember it bloomed white flowers. After that summer, we had a storm and the trellis fell and the plant cracked. It's not very flexible when trying to train the vines they tend to crack. It has not flowered since the storm 4 years ago but continues to live.

Thumbnail by Beauceron Thumbnail by Beauceron
Beautiful, BC(Zone 9b)

Looks like Hydrangea anomala subsp. petiolaris http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/147/

Carmel, United States

The barks I've searched look like it. Now I need to figure out why its stopped blooming. Too much fertilizer, lack of sun and wrong zone are given as reasons. None which apply. Didn't realize how high it can grow...I need to train it towards the fence, thanks for your help.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 9b)

It looks healthy. They do best when they can attach the roots on the stems to a wall, fence or tree, etc. Try a fertilizer with a high middle number.

Carmel, United States

Yes, it gets a lot of new growth on the ground that trains itself along the ground covering my other flowers. I end up cutting the new growth. I'm going to get one of those stick in fences/barriers so the new growth can attach itself and work it's way to the vegetable gardening fencing. Thanks for the idea!

This message was edited Apr 29, 2013 1:00 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.