AuthorContent
justgreateh
Fort Mcmurray
Canada

April 30, 2013
7:39 AM

Post #9502536

Hello,

I am new to gardening and I was wondering when the best time is to transplant hardy (zone 3) perrenial flowers into my ornamental perrenial garden?

I am living on a fire base and the gardens every year needed money thrown at them. I was to make sure the gardens have life for years to come with no large expense on annuals every year.

I think I am still at a good time. I have cold frames on two of the 6X3 gardens to warm the soil. I put a mulch layer of straw down. There is still 3 feet of snow and currently it is snowing. So, I am not to late to figure out when it is best time to transplant these flowers and how!!!

Thanks to whoever out there knows something on this topic.

Alexandria
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 30, 2013
7:31 PM

Post #9503463

You can transplant them as soon as the ground is thawed and workable. As they will still be dormant, it's a great time to divide and transplant, and will get things going for you.

This message was edited May 10, 2013 9:46 AM
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

May 2, 2013
6:35 PM

Post #9505971

I would recommend as with any garden to throw as much animal manure at the garden as you can, normally it's free to anyone who wants to go get it as people with horses cant keep throwing it onto a ple as it is a normal year round clear up for horse people, just make sure it's well rotter, preferable piled last year or year before would be good.
As you add this to the soil, make a 4-5 inch top dressing and dig this into soil as you go, it is the best type of humus to break up poor soil before planting out any Perrenial's, they love this type of soil and it adds air, feed, helps bring worms and they help break down the soil too. it also acts as a way to hold onto some moisture when you water as the humas acts like a sponge keeping the soil damper but not wet.

As the soil warms up and you see signs of green shoots be weeds, leaves on trees, or just the grass begin to grow, this tells you the soil is warming and the plants want to get growing.
It may turn out to be a short growing summer season for you guy's as it is not normal to still have snow at this time of year, my Brother and family live North Ontario and they are still awaiting the snow to go away and the soil to warm up, normally at this time of year their veg plot is well on it's way.
Good luck WeeNel.
Resset567
Englewood, CO

May 9, 2013
12:46 PM

Post #9514675

One other thought. . . when you transplant, remember to give plants that have been moved daily water for a week or 10 days. Even careful transplanting disturbs the soil and breaks most of the feeder roots that are responsible for nutrient and moisture uptake. So if only 20-30% of the fine roots are left after the move you want to make sure there's water available to them to help the plants reestablish.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America